main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III End Credits music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by batvader, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    /\ which would negate the idea that the films are intended to be viewed in chronological order. That might make sense for ROTJ, but not ROTS.

ttbk

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I vote for a mix of the IM, Emperor's Theme, choral Force Theme (as opposed to the bold, brassy Force Theme of ANH), and DOTF.

I'd start with the choral Force Theme -- sad yet hopeful, then have it overtaken by the Emperor's Theme (bolder, like in ROTJ when Luke is getting fried). Then DOTF until we get smashed by an all-out "The Emperor Arrives"-type Imperial March to close the saga.

:D

3. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
    That sounds good, but I expect it will end the way other PT's did(on the albums, anyway :rolleyes:), Anakin's theme turning into the IM, only this time it will no doubt as you said, be full force. And since the film is supposed to end on an optimistic note, we might see Luke's theme interweaved somewhere. I can't wait!

ttbk

4. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, we'll certainly get Luke's Theme (Main Theme) & fanfare as the iris transitions to the end credits, just like in the other five films. I don't think it will (or should be) in the rest of the credits, unless at the very end for a brief flourish.

5. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    End Credits Opening (Luke's Theme, Rebel Fanfare, Luke's Theme...no change!!)
    Episode III's New Theme (?)
    Imperial March
    Imperial March Finale

6. an_mjb_film

an_mjb_film Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    Maybe a end title song........ like "May it Be" from LOTR:FOTR, a song to the Love Theme from AOTC.

7. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Song?!!?!?!

8. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    For a song... I vote no.

9. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
    Well...

In the context of the series, it doesn't feel right to have both III and IV have esentially the same end-credits. Unless you're watching it 4-5-6-1-2-3, in which case it has a book-end effect.

Personally, I would have preferred a combination of a concert arrangement of "Ben's theme" (NOT the upbeat "Throne Room" version), BotH, and the "Anakin's Betrayal" theme. And then the (unused! :oops:) AOTC finale, only ending with quiet rendition of Luke's theme, ala "Droid Auction".

ttbk

10. jadailyTCU

jadailyTCU Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    You know, for the most part, I liked the End Credits track. I think I would've preferred a full version of the Imperial March to be thrown into the mix, at least on the CD version, rather than one really long iteration of the Throne Room. Don't get me wrong, I love the Throne Room, but there was a bit too much. Honestly, for a series tribute section, I would've liked Duel of the Fates sequeing to Imperial March segueing to Throne Room. If Williams had thrown all that between Battle of the Heroes and the final two minutes, that would have made a fitting end to the musical saga.

11. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    Does anyone else find it odd, or perhaps even thematically relevant, that Williams used "Throne Room" (Episode IV's concluding pre-credits music) in the End Titles mix?

I normally don't listen carefully to end title music, as I don't generally think of it as a part of the movie proper, but something struck me as odd about choosing to use that theme here. It felt texturally...strange to me, somehow, but I can't quite put my finger on why, precisely.

12. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Throne Room isn't in the end credits in the film.

13. DarthSkeptical

Aug 19, 2001
    "Throne Room" begins about 6'44, Track 15, 2005 Sony Release.

14. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    But it's not in the film.

15. DarthSkeptical

Aug 19, 2001
    Hmmm, well now I have a new reason to sit through the credits next time I go, I guess.

And that brings me to my next question. Why would WIlliams, who produced the album, have put it on the album when it doesn't appear in the film?

16. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Because George wanted it.

17. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Because Williams's end credits recording was far too long. I don't think he ever expected the "Throne Room" portion to be used. I mean, thirteen minutes?!

Another note: this is the only Star Wars film to contain cuts in the "iris out" music, e.g. one phrase of the Rebel Fanfare is removed. It's too bad.

18. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    It is? Wow, never noticed that. I think Williams actually composed the insanely long End Credits track as a tribute to Star Wars. I don't think he ever intended it to be used in the film.

19. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    "So, does anyone agree that for the first time it would be nice if the End Credits had a different beginning, starting with a more downbeat playing of a theme (in minor) that will blend better with the (expectedly) dark tone of the finale music (whatever that may be)"

i think the softer beginning to the credit music that was used in 4 shold have been used in some of the other episodes, epecially the ones that end on a dark note

20. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I don't hear anything problem with them. I think they transition perfectly, though I don't worry myself over what minor they're in. If they sound good, who cares?

21. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I mean it is the classic ending music, but for ROTS it just didn't suit I mean it ended on such a sad note.

22. Handmaiden_Mariah

Handmaiden_Mariah Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    I think the transition was done well, and even though the music was upbeat, I still had tears in my eyes.

23. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    My only real issue with the ROTS end credits is that the use of the Force theme played during the last shot is in a different key than the Star Wars theme that starts the end credits music. It's jarring and has taken me a while to get used to.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    OK, I have a question that (sort of) relates to the end music for ROTS. When Obi-Wan brings Luke to Tatooine, we hear the Main Theme from the opening titles, which I assume has come to be identified as Luke's theme. Do we hear this theme any other time in the PT (outside of each film's opening crawl)?

25. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan destroying the droids after they were gassed
    The Queen's ship picking up Qui-Gon after his small duel
    Naboo pilots leaving for the space battle

There are other times, I'm sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.