Episode III Fan Trailer - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ADONIAH32, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    A friend and I are going to start working on a MAJOR project, but we really don't have a lot of the tools needed to complete. That's where we need your help. I can't reveal what our project is in public, as it is going to a private production until release next year. All I can say is this will probably be one of the best fan films ever.

Tom (my friend) and I are going to write an entire script up, which we are already in the process of doing. He and I will mainly produce and direct the film. I can edit most of it as well. What we would need help with is the following. I'm not including CG work because I am handling that seperately:

Sound Effects
    Lightsaber effects (rotoscoping and what not)
    editing
    Effects work (I'll explain this to people who are interested)
    Some other work if I can think of it...

This is a unique opportunity to work on a great project. If you're interested, tell me.
  2. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd like to rotoscope lightsabers!
    And I'll do editing.
    And with sound fx do you mean formulating original ones or using existing ones and just putting them in there?
    If you mean the latter, I will do that.
  3. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, the latter. Basically editing in existing sounds.

And, if you can do CG work, then tell me.
  4. MoffJake Jedi Master

star 4
    I might be able to help out with a little rotoscope work, but alas I may be called to duty in the next couple months so maybe I shouldn't really be offering help. In any case, it's great to hear you'll be doing a fanfilm. I hope you've gotten through that whole brouhaha with your site's server.
  5. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    The biggest thing we need right now is people to do CG work. The film will have a lot of it.
  6. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't understand that you say this will be "the best fanfilm ever" except you can't say why.

I'll be blunt here: I don't like it when people say that they are going to make an amazing movie and then say:

We need CG people very much right now, as the movie has alot of it.

I'll correct you on that THE MOVIE DOES NOT HAVE ALOT OF IT BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ANYONE TO DO IT. NEVER PLAN A FILM THAT WILL HAVE LOTS OF RELIANCE ON SPECIAL EFFECTS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE ANYONE TO DO IT.

I just get ticked that people want to have all these nice looking special effects so they can make one of the best movie's ever but end up just coming to the forum for an easy way out.

People are not going to JUMP to do the work for this film, especially when you say "it will be one of the best ever". That does not impress me and I think alot of other people. Never in your post did you say any experience you have in this kind of thing... experience is what I would look for if I was looking to join a fanfilm crew.

CG artists that work for free on fanfilms have MORE OPTIONS ON THEIR TABLE than they can handle... you need to give better reasons than "this fanfilm will blow everyone away".

And I don't mean give away your entire plot, there are MANY ways to get people's respect other than giving your plot away.

Look at Broken Allegiance... Nick Hallum found help on that, made his film and impressed the hell out of everyone. NOW he comes to the board asking for help on the dvd... and LOOK at the result that he got... it's incredible... people are really competing and working hard to be a part of his dvd.

Lots of these people are putting in tons of hours of work not even knowing if any of it will even be used.

Gain the board's respect first before you ask for something so big... that's what I would give you as advice.

Cya
    Mike
  7. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    "I can't reveal what our project is in public...All I can say is this will probably be one of the best fan films ever."

[face_plain]

EDIT: Oops, sorry Mike. I kinda steped on your point then!
  8. Golden-Y Force Ghost

star 3
    That's what they all say. :D
  9. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    The only reason I don't want to say what the project is is because I am trying to keep everyone who works on it anonymous for very GOOD and very APPROPRIATE reasons.

To be blunt: in the end, the crew will probably HAVE to remain anonymous.

But, since it appears no one will help me unless I reveal partially what we'll be doing, I'll give you a little hint as to what and a hint to the reason we're staying anonymous:

Think about the Episode II trailer the anonymous director made. Does that give you a hint as to what we're planning on?
  10. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    So, you don't want to reveal anything for fear of legal repercussions? Well, count me in then :p

EDIT: Edited smiley to a more appropriate one :D
  11. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL, I highly doubt there would be any legal consequences anyway. Why would there be? We aren't doing anything illegal, now are we? Then that answers your question.

I only wanted the project to stay anonymous because I also wanted to surprise fans. If I post here everything I'm planning, it takes the fun out of it, doesn't it?
  12. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    OK. You should just bear in mind that if I had a penny for everytime someone's said they gonna do a film, and it's gonna be the best Fan Film ever, I'd have £5.63

And I am quite surprised to hear it from someone who's been around for 6 months with over 1400 posts to their name!

Where are you based?
  13. Shawn PTH Jedi Master

star 4
    If you plan on using all original footage which it sounds like then you have nothing to concern yourself with. Anonymous Director stayed Anonymouse because he used footage from LOTS of films all from different companies and hence made him self liable as all hell.
  14. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    Why such the defensive attitude? I come in here asking for some help with a project I'd rather keep secret at the moment, and then I get shot down because I won't say exactly what I need?

Look, I already posted in the CG thread what I need done. And I hate to burst your bubble, but most of the things we need created have already been completed and are on the scifi3D site. Basically they would just need to be changed to suit our needs.

Tell me what YOU would like to know to actually be interested, Halibut.

EDIT: Shawn-PTH is correct. Our film would be comprised of original footage and we therefore wouldn't be at risk of getting sued or something like that.
  15. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    Woah there, Texas!

All I said was that there have been countless (well, 563!) people who start a thread giving no detail but saying it's gonna be the best film ever. You've been around here a while, so you know this as well as I do! You also know that the points I raised were done in a much friendlier and flame-free way from what many others would say!

I come in here asking for some help with a project I'd rather keep secret at the moment, and then I get shot down because I won't say exactly what I need?

You answered your own question here. People aren't gonna want to help if they dpon't know what it is!

Look, I already posted in the CG thread what I need done.

I haven't read any other threads. I saw this one simply entitles "I could really use some help". Your first post makes no reference to another thread. In fact, all you have done on this thread is say that you don't want to say anything about it, so to lay into me at this point stating that you have said what you want in another thread is not very fair

And I hate to burst your bubble, but most of the things we need created have already been completed and are on the scifi3D site. Basically they would just need to be changed to suit our needs.

Which bubble? I have no bubble. I have never claimed to own a bubble. In fact, I am not fond of bubble. You give me too much credit

Tell me what YOU would like to know to actually be interested, Halibut.

You are misreading me. I said to you in a calm collected, and trying-to-be-helpful manner that you probably won't get the help without more detail. I quote myself "You should just bear in mind that if I had a penny for everytime someone's said they gonna do a film, and it's gonna be the best Fan Film ever, I'd have £5.63"
    To me, this was a light-hearted attempt to give you some advice, and reply by laying on me with all this crap.

you flame people, they have a go at you. You try to help them out and point them in the right direction, they have a go at you. As A wise man once said (Mr Cohen) "There's no pleasing some people"

I wish you every success in your project

16. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    To me it sounded defensive. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter. I wasn't flaming you either...just addressing your concerns. This is just ruining my point by arguing in this thread.

Below is a list of the CG things I was looking for (from the other post):

Space (for ships traveling)
    Ships (For the most part the droid command ships)
    Alderaan (part of the capital)
    Coruscant (The Senate and Jedi Temple will be shown here. Mainly ext. shots of the Jedi Temple and some int. shots of the senate)
    Tatoonine (Lars Homestead mainly, and ext. shot from space)
    Naboo (a larger battle will take place here)
    Dagobah
    Some Lightsaber work
    Character animation (some with Yoda, if possible, and some silhoettes in action against bright background)
  17. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    "I am not fond of bubble"

LOL :d

Anyways, the annonymous director did unveil himself (I beleive) and did not get in trouble... to my knowledge.

But still, it's a pretty arrogant attitude you have "it will be one of the best..." Phrases like those make me cringe every time I read them.

And Halibut, he might be new to THIS board, which is why he may not know, those posts count posts from OTHER TFN boards too.

(I know I know... "THERE ARE OTHER TFN BOARDS!!!" *gasp*)

Cya
    Mike
  18. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    That isn't arrogant, I hate to tell you. In my opinion, if it's done properly...let me put it this way, it will be pretty darn good. That way I don't sound elitist but I still get my point across.

Back to the point: Can ANYONE help me?
  19. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    "arrogant: Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others" - Dictionary.com

"All I can say is this will probably be one of the best fan films ever."
  20. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    My statement of "one of the best" does not use a superiority complex of any sort. Notice how I said "ONE OF" not "THE BEST" but "ONE OF". Therefore, I admit there are several others that are better, but if done properly, our fan film could be just as good. You need to read into what I say...not just look at the last two words.

Do you pride yourself on you utter disregard for other members, halibut?

Back on topic, people. I need help, anyone willing?
  21. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    "Do you pride yourself on you utter disregard for other members, halibut?"

Woah, you can't say that and then brush it aside afterwards!

First of all, I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING personal against you at all. the only people I don't like are flamers, and we haven't done that at all. So far, this hasn't become personal, and I hope it doesn't. But you were being arrogant. I also am being arrogant. There is nothing wrong (well not much) with being arrogant, but you shouldn't say you're not when you are

"You need to read into what I say...not just look at the last two words."

I wasn't. I was looking at the whole post.

So in answer to your question, no I don't pride myself on my utter regard for other members, but I will not shirk from expressing opinions on people's attitudes
  22. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    Either way, we have completely ruined the point of this thread. I need help...now is anyone interested?
  23. Thayne_Correlles Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's true, it's true... I've heard you boasting about how you beat NickLong with a sainsbury's beef and onion pasty and how DaftMaul is still having trouble sleeping in the dark because of you. I won't even go into PTX's problems... You even drove me to grande mail-related fraud...

hehehe. :D

Let's not argue. Fair enough, I get sick of every post asking for someone to do the hard work for them (and while we're on the subject... anyone wanna do my 3d?) but he has a vague point. He's just asking for crew. There are a lot of people out there with 3d talent, editing talent, sound, sf/x whatever... who don't have there own projects to work on. Why not put up a board that people can post what talents they have to offer or if they are looking for projects or if they are looking for crew, that way it stops posts like this one even happening.

Right I'm off. It's late and I need coffee. or sleep, which ever comes first.

As a great man once said:

In war it doesn't matter who wins or loses... it's who gets the most babboon's.
    -Drunk guy at the laundromat.
    03/08/89
  24. darthsaber10 Jedi Master

star 2
    Honestly..who wants to help someon who says they can'tgive you credit becuase they want to keep everything anonymous...I know I wouldn't....
  25. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't say that...I said people could remain anonymous.

Look, nevermind, I'll list everyone. What does it matter? I don't get it...why can't people just help to HELP? Why does everyone in this world need to know everything here and now...needing credit...it doesn't make sense to me. Can't people just do things out of kindness?

I have posted countless links in the AOTC forum and it's not like I go around telling the mods I deserve some type of reward [face_plain]
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.