main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III--Final Music Sequence

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by crouchingjedi, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crouchingjedi

crouchingjedi Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2002
    We all know GL ends the movies with a major music sequence. Anyone have any thoughts on what's in store for EIII? A unique imperial march arrangement would be the most logical choice.

A dramatic (but longshot) alternative would be to have the film fade to black (both audibly and visually) so that the film ends with a black screen, silence, then Vader's first couple of breaths. [End credits]

Any other ideas?

2. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I think it will be Obi-Wan delivering Luke to Owen and Beru, with the binary sunset in the background. The Force theme plays, and then cut to end titles.

3. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    I agree with PloKloon1138. Having a morose version Force theme play at the end would be the most logical (if most predictable) way to end the saga. It would "rhyme" with the triumphant version of the theme played at the end of the next film in the series, ANH.

Having Vader's breath come just before the end credits would be cool, but that's a bit too artsy for STAR WARS. It would be more appropriate after the credits, as was done with TPM.

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    My guess is we'll get doses of Imperial March, Emperor's Theme, Force Theme...maybe Yoda's or even DOTF...

These final scenes of Ep. III are what we've been waiting for. I have great confidence that JW is really gonna nail it.

5. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Plo Koon has the right idea, I think this would be perfect.

And John Williams will get it right, but if George decides to edit it a day before release or something stupid, we won't get a very nice product, will we?

6. Gonzonaut

Gonzonaut Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    What puzzles me is Williams and Lucas will make the transistion from the closing musical sequence to the fanfare-like rendition of the main theme that also kicks off the main credits. Perhaps this won't happen this time, and something more morose will be played, or maybe not anything at all.

7. crouchingjedi

crouchingjedi Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2002
    Gonzonaut made the point I was trying to get at earlier--because this is going to be such a dark film the traditional end credits may seem a little bit out of place, and that's why I offered a more dramatic and artistic alternative.

The only problem is which is more out of place--happy sounding end credits and the end of the darkest film, or no end credits music at all? I say tht latter is my awkward.

Everyone seems to agree the final sequence will include Obi-Wan (perhaps with Luke still) on Tatooine. The SW "Main Theme" was originally developed as Luke's theme, so having a sad, reflective introduction of Luke's theme (also Obi-Wan's / the Force theme) into the end credits would make a good transition to ANH and would work.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I've been hoping that the opening crawl music will nto be the main theme, but rather, a full-blown version of the Imperial March. Have the Emperor's Theme play for the closing credits.

9. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    The opening crawl will certainly be unaltered. As for the end credits fanfare, that is indeed an issue, and one I've brought up several times before... I think it will work, even in ending a dark film, as long as the finale music segues into it smoothly - as in AOTC, ANH and ESB, but not TPM or ROTJ's abrupt transitions.

Besides, the music does technically end on a "down" kind of mood. Note how the end credits music to the Prequels has, insofar, faded into darkness as opposed to the OT credits, wherein the music crescendos to a final, celebratory chord.

I'd say that the Force motif is almost a given as the score to the final scene, as cool as it would be to hear Ewan McGregor singing "Across The Universe". :p Of course, that all depends on how the movie actually ends, which we won't know for three years.

10. spacemountainranger

spacemountainranger Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    I'd like the ending music to flow smoothly thru some of the main tracks from the whole saga,I'd like the finale to be the following:

Love Theme->Imperial March->The Force Theme
    ->Luke & Leia->Ending Credits

The following would happen when these tracks are being played:

Love Theme:perhaps The Funeral Of Padme

Cuts To

Imperial March:Vader and Palpatine looking out over Coruscant on a balcony in The Imperial Palace which lies in what Is now "Imperial City.

Cut To

Force Theme:eek:bi-Wan walking thru Tatoonie carring a baby luke

Cut To

Luke & Leia:eek:bi-Wan hands the baby Luke to Owen and Owen pulls a shrowd off the babys face.

Cut To

End Credits:Starts as soon as babys face uncovered from the shrowd.

(If youre confused please say so and ill explain further)

11. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Cuts To

Imperial March:Vader and Palpatine over looking the army of stormtroopers and a fleet of ties taking off(much like AOTC)
    "

Ewwww, that's a little TOO much like AOTC. EpIII is the last movie, give me something original, not a recycled end idea.

The idea of Ben walking off into the desert after delivering Luke and Leia with a binary sunset in the background and the Force Theme playing has been going around for a long time and I think it's our best bet. :)

12. spacemountainranger

May 7, 2002
    after reading that over,that is too much like AOTC.Im gonna change it.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    ....And make me look dumb in the process. :p

14. spacemountainranger

May 7, 2002
    sorry there sithman.

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    It's okay man, but rules are rules.

Dan! Cart him off you-know-where! [face_devil]

16. spacemountainranger

May 7, 2002
    uh no :_| :( !!!!!!!

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    TEH GAMES FORUM!!!!!!111!!1!!1!! MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!

18. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    There seems to be a lot of sentiment for the Obi-Wan/Luke scene (which would be terrific), but does anyone think that might not be the final scene? Maybe to make the ending "darker", a final scene with Vader/Palpatine? Imperial March/Emperor's Theme would obviously be a good bet there.

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, I've thought of that too, since George has said so many time how dark EpIII will be, it may end with either a ray of hope (Luke and Leia) or with none at all (Vader and Palpatine).

The only thing is that if he ends with a grand orchestration of the Imperial March, it'll be AOTC all over again. :(

20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Endings...

ANH = Throne Room (bold Force Theme march)

ESB = The Rebel Fleet (melancholy Force Theme, Han/Leia love theme)

ROTJ = Ewok Celebration or Victory Celebration

TPM = The Parade (Augie's GMB -- "Happy Palpy" Theme)

AOTC = Imperial March/Love Theme

Ep. III = ???

My guess is the final sequence will show both the last hope of the Jedi and the triumph of the Sith. Really desperate (force theme, love theme, Luke or Leia's Theme even??) and triumphant (Imperial March/Emperor's Theme, maybe reappearance of ANH Vader Theme?). I don't think DOTF will fit, because the dark side has won (for about 20 years at least). I suppose if you complete a pattern here, it should end with some kind of "Sith Celebration" to mirror ROTJ.

21. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Carts spacemountainranger off to the Games forum..

Oops, sorry Sithy, for being late! I was taking a steam bath! ;)

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Mmmmmm, that's okay. But it looks like you're goingto have to take a cut in pay.

23. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I think a dramatic medly with "Duel of the Fates", the "Imperial March", and "May the Force Be With You" should build up very much.

As it's building we see a helmet looking down. Then, it looks up, and the split second it comes straight looking at the camera (maybe for a couple of frames), it cuts to black with DV's breathing.

24. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The only thing you need to have the jolly end credits start is to have the music swell before it.

This could easily be done with a sorrowful Force theme playing, gradually building to a crescendo, then the transfer. Seeing as how the movie ends with a message of hope it'll fit.

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Got a question..anybody else think the traditional end credits fanfare is really damned annoying? Particularly transferring like it does form a great piece of music..we have something awesome and galaxy spanning ending the movie, and then POW! The overly loud and jumpy end credits music starts! I loathe that music, I really do..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.