main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania *Episode III: Good, Bad, or Just Plain Hammy?*

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Detonating-Rabbit, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Is it confirmed rhat the building of the second death star happened ONLY after ANH?
    Is it plausable to say they were contructing another at the same time?

Consider that Tarkin said fear of the battle station will keep systems under control...I'd assume they'd want some backup.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Only problem with that reasoning is that the opening crawl of ROTJ mentions an armored (sic) battle station even more powerful than the first Death Star. And anyway, the general consensus was that the original Death Star was invulnerable. Only the starfleet commander present at the meeting on the Death Star in ANH seemed concerned about its potential weaknesses--well, unless you count good ol' Anakin, who was objecting on philosophical grounds ;)

Frankly, I'm for the theory that:
    (a) The first DS was in effect a prototype and therefore too longer to build;
    (b) The second DS didn't need all its gear fully functional to paste the Rebel Fleet, which seems to be what the Emperor was intending for its construction;
    (c) The second DS wasn't ever really intended for full use. The only 3 lines in ROTJ that address it are the Emperor telling Luke it was fully armed and operational; Moff Jerjerrod's assurance to Vader that "this station will be operational as planned,", and Vader's comment to the Emperor that "the Death Star will be completed on schedule." None of those said that the DS had to be full and complete by the time of the rebel attack.

And, to top that, bear in mind the Emperor's capabilities for seeing the future. It's entirely possible he may have foreseen the first DS's destruction about ten, fifteen years into the construction effort and ordered the commencement of the second DS post-haste.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    EVERYTHING is meant for close examination. That's the entire reason these boards exist

If you want to spend hours speculating why the Death Star was in there (when the answer is ostensibly "for the average punter"), go for it.

E_S

4. Reecee

Reecee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    That was the first movie I've been to that people clapped! I thought it was great btw :)

5. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Also, bare in ind, that the first death star probably wasn't "NEEDED" and they could take their time.
    As for the second, it was more of a "let's get out **** together and get this thing up and running ASAP!"

The Empire had just been owned at the battle of Yarvin, so it was probably a VERY high priority to get another one underway.

6. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Would have rathered a second Death Star in ROTJ, or would it have been so much easier for you to handle a KJA-esque Sun-Eater or Galaxy-Eraser, or some kind of Universe Off-Switch....

yeah, all of a sudden that second Death Star is looking mighty fine isn't it... :)

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    God it would have been awesome to make a clip of the Aayla Order 66 scene and replace her with Kevin J Anderson entirely..

E_S

8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Please don't get into the argument on the death star, the last thing we need is me and sith having it out about canon and the EU in this thread :p

9. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    The first person to bring a canon war into my forum is banned. Just a warning. ;)

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    We all agree KJA being shot to pieces by clones a la Aayla would be cool though, right? Right?

E_S

11. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    i'm in the 'who cares' category myself ;)

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    You bet ender, *rubs hands together* Can we do it to Jeter as well for his god-awful Bount Huntet Trilogy?

[iThe first person to bring a canon war into my forum is banned. Just a warning.[/i]

I know, Sith and I are normally quite civilised outside CT forum.

13. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    There is no "canon" debate, canon is a word used by EU fans to place it somewhere among the rest of Star Wars, as far as I'm concerned, the films are it.

Mind you K_G, I'm staying out of the film forums now, if it's not someone going on that I HAVE to accept the EU, it's some kid saying the antenna don't move at the same speed on the Imperial probe droids (or something equally as inane) and therefore "Teh OT MUST BE REMADE!!11!!!"

And yes, the bounty hunter trilogy, 3 books is an awful long time to spend going nowhere.

14. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    People disagree with you, therefore there is a debate. Keep it out of here. :)

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    we will hawk, we will. as for the film forums things aren't probably going to quiet down until september

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Look, I love my Zahn books and enjoy some others; but two things you have to understand. One comes from George Bernard Shaw; "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." Change the context to include the relation of EU to the movies; i.e that some adapt the EU to suit the movies, other the movies to suit the EU, you get where I'm going. EU is fun.

2) KW Jeter already deserved pain for his abortion-like Blade Runner sequels. However, he's boring but KJA is just pure evil. His stories were daft at best, his characterisations pathetic and his obviating the careful military doctrine established by Sir Timothy in the Thrawn trilogy smacked of stupidity. That's why I hope someone could redo Aayla's death, with a digital KJA - it's the sheer violence of it I and many others would rightfully enjoy.

E_S

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    And as if character assasination of our heroes of the OT weren't enough, he had to turn his tortured prose onto the Dune series as well.

As for adaption, it's Lucas' universe, he just lets others play in it from time to time, if he says something through his films that contradicts what has been written, then that's his perogative to do so, and unlike many "fans" I won't condemn him for doing so or claim he has no right to go against the EU.

K_G, why September? What happens then?

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I thought we were NOT going to discuss things like this in here?

As for September, that's usually when the boards quiet down and a lot of users leave leaving the long-stayers.

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The above post is my opinion on the EU/canon debate, not part of one.

20. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    That's an awsome sig Sith_Magician :):)

...and I strongly agree.

21. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    just to go OT for a minute.....

I'm wondering who's big idea it was to put a surfer dude Neimoidian on the bridge of General Greivous' ship?

he sounded like Crush from Finding Nemo!!

:D

22. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I don't remember that :p Damn this not being able to see it again for another week!!

23. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    He's the guy that goes:

"two jedi have landed in the main hangar bay!"

(all thats missing is the word "man" at the end of the sentence)

and "all batteries fire, FIRE!"

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Quick question: grevious smahses the window (or viewport) or the ship right? Why doesn't everthing inside catch fire when the land? Does Anakin put the shields back up even though he knocked out the generator?

25. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    The metal sheild shuts off the smashed window straight afterwards to stop everything from being sucked out.

You might have blinked! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.