main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Episode III Movie Anakin or Novel Anakin

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 4, 2014.

?

Episode III Movie or Novel Anakin?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2014.
  1. Movie

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Novel

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm kinda short on time, so who do you guys prefer? I prefer novel Anakin because his emotions are more, well, "human" let's say, anyways discuss.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He's more overtly jealous in the novel - with it being clearer that the relationship between him and Padme is outright dysfunctional before the dreams even start.

3. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They were both stupid and I have a low tolerance for deliberate stupidity so I would say neither.

That said...the scene in which Padme announces her pregnancy, I prefer the film version, as Anakin asks her in the novel if she's been seeing someone else.

One thing I will say for the novel is that it does a great job showing Anakin's spiral into insanity and therefore making him a little easier to understand.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Film Anakin is the true Anakin. That's why I prefer him.

Seagoat and Alexrd like this.
  6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I prefer the movie Anakin. I wasn't fond of the novel or Matthew Stover's writing style.

Seagoat likes this.
  7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
  8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If I have to pick one...

Novel Anakin. No tears for fears.

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Movie Anakin.

The characterizations are probably my biggest issue with Stover's novel. I just don't understand some of Stover's interpretation's of scenes. The scene where Anakin thinks of Padmé as a bug to be squashed is one in particular that I just don't see any basis in the movie. Same with, as mentioned by anakinfan, Anakin and Padmé's reunion. His post-turn Anakin also bore no resemblance to the movie's version.

That and I felt that Stover turned both Obi-Wan and Padmé into idiots, so there's that...

{Quantum/MIDI}, oierem and Alexrd like this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Movie

Ironically, I find his emotions more human. Especially after he becomes Vader. I can relate to him, in some sick twisted way

Samnz likes this.
  11. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Really TCW Anakin but I prefer Novel Anakin because of the first part of the book before they crash Invisible hand is great and there the Characterization of him is good, Once Padme is back in the book his characterization goes to left field though

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Movie Anakin.

13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Both. I like lighter Anakin in the movie. Though in the novel I feel Anakin's fall is explained better.

This is a tough choice, but I'll go with novel

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  14. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2014
    Movie Anakin. The scene where he is staring out into the lava river gets me every time.

15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Too true.

16. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I have a biased opinion, so I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to say what I feel anyway.
    I love Hayden Christensen, not as an actor overall, but as an actor just for Star Wars. I think his personality as an actor and how he portrayed the role of Anakin was exactly how he needed to be. To me, the movie Anakin is the Anakin that I fell in love with, not the noveled Anakin.

Samnz likes this.
  17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    QFT.

18. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Definetly Movie Anakin.

19. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The only place in which I find Anakin remotely likable is in TCW.

TX-20 and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  20. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I respect that people find TCW Anakin more likable. But, for me, the biggest issue I have with him is that I have a hard time reconciling him as the same man who will become Darth Vader. Make no mistake, though, the issue isn't that he's not evil enough (since Anakin hasn't fallen to the Dark Side at this point), rather, TCW Anakin just has a rather carefree attitude. He's much more chill and relaxed. Whereas I always found Vader to radiate tight control and intensity. It's one of the things that I think Hayden Christensen really brought to life with his performance as Anakin -- how, even when he was fighting for good ideals, there was an intensity and almost obsessive edge to him that could be disquieting. I don't really see that in TCW Anakin. He's more "fun," but I can't see him becoming the man in the suit.

Stover's Anakin suffers, for me, in that he's borderline sociopathic. Which doesn't really fit the character, in my opinion. That was always more of Palpatine's characterization -- the long-term detachment, the manipulation, the lack of deep feeling, but the pathological joy in winning.

Alexrd, QuangoFett and oierem like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TCW Anakin was more fun, and as such I didn't care about reconciling him with Vader. I figure a lot happened in a few years anyway, plus he still had the "do what must be done, even if morally questionable" attitude.

I was fine with Hayden's Anakin in AOTC and early ROTS but I did appreciate that insight into his more fun side in the show.

MOC Yak Face and TX-20 like this.
  22. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I don't see the two as very different; Matthew Stover just had much more time to explain things in his book, than Lucas did in the film.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    See, I wanted PT era Anakin to be likable to the point that is was shocking and tragic that he would turn to the dark side. As it is, for me at least, it's neither shocking or tragic. It's a not very likable character predictably getting what's coming to him.

TX-20 and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I'm gonna cast a write-in vote for Clone Wars Anakin. He was fun to watch when he got all dark side-y. I also like that his dark moments in the Clone Wars were more "business-related" and not so much about his personal relationships all the time.

25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm a simpleton whole believes they're the same dude.

JoshieHewls likes this.