PT Episode III Movie Anakin or Novel Anakin

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 4, 2014.

?

Episode III Movie or Novel Anakin?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2014.
Movie 14 vote(s) 77.8%
Novel 4 vote(s) 22.2%
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Garrett Atkins Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'm kinda short on time, so who do you guys prefer? I prefer novel Anakin because his emotions are more, well, "human" let's say, anyways discuss.
  2. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    He's more overtly jealous in the novel - with it being clearer that the relationship between him and Padme is outright dysfunctional before the dreams even start.
  3. The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Master

star 3
  4. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    They were both stupid and I have a low tolerance for deliberate stupidity so I would say neither.

That said...the scene in which Padme announces her pregnancy, I prefer the film version, as Anakin asks her in the novel if she's been seeing someone else.

One thing I will say for the novel is that it does a great job showing Anakin's spiral into insanity and therefore making him a little easier to understand.
    SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. Lulu_Mars Force Ghost

star 1
    Film Anakin is the true Anakin. That's why I prefer him.
    Alexrd likes this.
  6. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4
    I prefer the movie Anakin. I wasn't fond of the novel or Matthew Stover's writing style.
  7. TX-20 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  8. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If I have to pick one...

Novel Anakin. No tears for fears.
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Feb 4, 2014
  9. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4
    Movie Anakin.

The characterizations are probably my biggest issue with Stover's novel. I just don't understand some of Stover's interpretation's of scenes. The scene where Anakin thinks of Padmé as a bug to be squashed is one in particular that I just don't see any basis in the movie. Same with, as mentioned by anakinfan, Anakin and Padmé's reunion. His post-turn Anakin also bore no resemblance to the movie's version.

That and I felt that Stover turned both Obi-Wan and Padmé into idiots, so there's that...
    oierem and Alexrd like this.
  10. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    Movie

Ironically, I find his emotions more human. Especially after he becomes Vader. I can relate to him, in some sick twisted way
    Samnz likes this.
  11. AnakinColodin Force Ghost

star 2
    Really TCW Anakin but I prefer Novel Anakin because of the first part of the book before they crash Invisible hand is great and there the Characterization of him is good, Once Padme is back in the book his characterization goes to left field though
    Garrett Atkins likes this.
  12. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
  13. mes520 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Both. I like lighter Anakin in the movie. Though in the novel I feel Anakin's fall is explained better.

This is a tough choice, but I'll go with novel
    SithStarSlayer likes this.
  14. Lord Megatron Jedi Knight

Movie Anakin. The scene where he is staring out into the lava river gets me every time.
  15. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    Too true.
  16. Darth Dominikkus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I have a biased opinion, so I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to say what I feel anyway.
    I love Hayden Christensen, not as an actor overall, but as an actor just for Star Wars. I think his personality as an actor and how he portrayed the role of Anakin was exactly how he needed to be. To me, the movie Anakin is the Anakin that I fell in love with, not the noveled Anakin.
    Samnz likes this.
  17. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    QFT.
  18. skyrimcat9416 Jedi Master

star 1
    Definetly Movie Anakin.
  19. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    The only place in which I find Anakin remotely likable is in TCW.
    TX-20 and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  20. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4
    I respect that people find TCW Anakin more likable. But, for me, the biggest issue I have with him is that I have a hard time reconciling him as the same man who will become Darth Vader. Make no mistake, though, the issue isn't that he's not evil enough (since Anakin hasn't fallen to the Dark Side at this point), rather, TCW Anakin just has a rather carefree attitude. He's much more chill and relaxed. Whereas I always found Vader to radiate tight control and intensity. It's one of the things that I think Hayden Christensen really brought to life with his performance as Anakin -- how, even when he was fighting for good ideals, there was an intensity and almost obsessive edge to him that could be disquieting. I don't really see that in TCW Anakin. He's more "fun," but I can't see him becoming the man in the suit.

Stover's Anakin suffers, for me, in that he's borderline sociopathic. Which doesn't really fit the character, in my opinion. That was always more of Palpatine's characterization -- the long-term detachment, the manipulation, the lack of deep feeling, but the pathological joy in winning.
    Last edited by PiettsHat, Feb 7, 2014
    Alexrd, QuangoFett and oierem like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    TCW Anakin was more fun, and as such I didn't care about reconciling him with Vader. I figure a lot happened in a few years anyway, plus he still had the "do what must be done, even if morally questionable" attitude.

I was fine with Hayden's Anakin in AOTC and early ROTS but I did appreciate that insight into his more fun side in the show.
    MOC Yak Face and TX-20 like this.
  22. Moviefan2k4 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't see the two as very different; Matthew Stover just had much more time to explain things in his book, than Lucas did in the film.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  23. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    See, I wanted PT era Anakin to be likable to the point that is was shocking and tragic that he would turn to the dark side. As it is, for me at least, it's neither shocking or tragic. It's a not very likable character predictably getting what's coming to him.
    TX-20 and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. rdhight Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm gonna cast a write-in vote for Clone Wars Anakin. He was fun to watch when he got all dark side-y. I also like that his dark moments in the Clone Wars were more "business-related" and not so much about his personal relationships all the time.
  25. FRAGWAGON Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm a simpleton whole believes they're the same dude.
    JoshieHewls likes this.
Moderators: Bazinga'd