main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III spoiler-free or spoilers welcomed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Krash, Apr 25, 2003.

?

Episode III spoiler-free or spoilers welcomed?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Spoiler Free 100%

26.7%
  2. Spoiler 100%

33.3%
  3. Spoiler Free (except for "official" sources)

33.3%
  4. Spoiler (only from "official" sources)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. They're making a third movie???

6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
  2. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Exactly how are the two "official sources" choices different?

3. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    With all this talk about Episode III spoilers...I wanted to get an idea of where everyone stands.

As for me, I'm avoiding spoilers, and believe only the information from "official" sources like Star Wars Insider and starwars.com. Even the stuff from TFN...I take as "I'll believe it when I see it"

EDIT:Spoiler Free (except for "official" sources)...people who only want info released by Lucasfilm owned sources, but proceed with caution

Spoiler (only from "official" sources)...people who only want information released by Lucasfilm owned sources, regardless of what it is

4. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    I know I live in Columbus. But I'll talk Star Wars with anyone any time.

And Yes I'm going spoilers!

I'll make you a deal. If there is a spoiler on the front page of this web site and you don't know if it's major news or not (meaning if I look will I regret it). Just shoot me a PM and I'll let you know.

For instance, a few day's ago when we learned Chewie was going to be in Epi.III that IS NOT a spoiler. Peter M. name was going to be on the new actors and returning actors list at the offical site.

5. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    No, that is a spoiler, if you didn't want to read anything, be it released my LF, or whatnot. (Which is kinda the route I wanted to take... but just read a few things, a very limited amount, or be aware of them by accident.)

6. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I would say that I am going to be spoiler free except for stuff straight from Lucusfilm and the Insider and stuff like that because with this being the final movie who knows how many people are going to spread how many rumors this time!

7. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    If I see spoilers somewhere, then I'll read them, but I'm not going to seek them out.

8. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree with Cindy. I want to be completely spoiler-free as much as is possible without leaving the boards.

Hopefully people will be able to try to keep spoiler comments restriced to the spoiler boards. :)

9. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I don't know exactly how to vote. I'm not reading any spoilers from TF.N or AICN, but I think if it's on the official site or in the Insider, then it's not a spoiler. But I know some people are sensitive about what is and is not a spoiler.

A WORD OF CAUTION FOR EVERYONE! If you think some news about Ep3 is controversial as to whether or not it is a spoiler and you still want to discuss it, post it in the spoiler thread. It is better to respect the wishes of others who DON'T want to read spoilers even if it means you are being slightly over precautious.

I didn't read up on TPM at all, but I pieced its story together from the trailers and the Duel of the Fates video... I was spoiled with AOTC and I think it took away some of the amazement. For Episode III I want to be "wowed" as much as possible, therefore I don't want the experience to be compromised with spoiler info. But I feel if LFL releases news officially, then they want you to know it, and therefore it's not a spoiler.

10. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    TFN spoiler policy

Part of the reason I wanted to conduct a poll of JKOC, regarding your personal views about spoilers, was to avoid any un-desired spoiling. Sebulba-X has been dealing with this issue on a number of boards, and the standard procedure has been to designate a "spoilers" board to discuss anything without concern for the spoiler-free among us.

Here's TFN's stance on the issue:
    In short: if someone from Lucasfilm says it, we'll talk about it freely.

While you may or may not agree with this determination, it should also serve as a warning to folks that are leary of reading anything about Episode II. The Official Site and other official outlets like the Insider magazine and convention appearances open the door to free posting on that issue. Here's a quick rundown from the old editorial on how things break down:

Any and all StarWars.Com announcements - non-spoiler
    cast names - non-spoiler
    character names - non-spoiler
    official photos - non-spoiler
    spy photos - spoiler
    character descriptions - spoiler
    dialogue - spoiler
    plot points - spoiler
    plot speculation - spoiler

We will also do our very best to make sure that headlines will not contain what we believe to be spoilers of any kind. We want to honor and respect fans on both sides of the fence, and want to assure you that TFN is a welcome place for both groups. Check out the old editorial for more and thanks for coming in for your daily dose.

So whether you feel like "spoiler-free" of "spoiler"...just some simple etiquite in posting topics should make life simple.

(replace you divits, and play on)

11. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I want to be spoiler free 100%. I not even going to watch the trailers. Now thanks to the post above I know about Chewie! :mad: Watch what you people are posting! These boards are spoiler free!

12. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    if someone from Lucasfilm says it, we'll talk about it freely

"Meesa no liken dis." What about that guy who was the leak that Lucas caught and threw into jail? Wasn't he "someone from Lucasfilm saying stuff"?

Personally, I think if it's information in the Insider, on the Official Site, on any show like Entertainment Tonight/Access Hollywood/etc., a trailer, a video game preceeding the movie by several months (like Jedi Starfighter talked about Dooku and Geonosis before AOTC came out), or from Lucas' mouth himself, then it's no longer a spoiler. But that still doesn't change the fact that some people don't want to know a single thing about the movie, like Steve. Therefore if we are going to be talking about Ep3 info at a meeting, I think we should say, "I'm about to start talking about Episode 3" and as always keep spoilers in the spoiler thread. 50 Cent minus 48 Cent.

13. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Peeps (damn you Tina and your hip slang), Anakin turns into Darth Vader. You have all now been spoiled.

14. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO! My life is now OVER!!! :mad:

15. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    And Padme has Twins.

There you have just been spoiled more. :p

16. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    NOOOOOOOO!!! WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP???!!! :mad:

17. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    It won't. :p

Oh, and Threepio and Artoo get split up from Anakin and/or Padme :)

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    These boards are spoiler free!
    Actually, this is NOT considered a "spoiler" according to TFN's policy on spoilers because...
    Any and all StarWars.Com announcements - non-spoiler The original story (which can be forund on starwars.com) has sparked this debate about "spoilers" all across the boards.

What about that guy who was the leak that Lucas caught and threw into jail? Wasn't he "someone from Lucasfilm saying stuff"?
    I think what they mean is information released by Lucasfilm through "official" channels...the situation you refered to was an illegal activity by a "former-employee" who is now a current felon.

19. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I don?t care what TF.N policy about spoilers is. If it is about E3 I don?t want to hear about it! And if I stumble across more E3 stuff where there is no warning like I did above, then I?ll leave the boards!

20. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Like I said in my earlier post:

No, that is a spoiler, if you didn't want to read anything, be it released my LF, or whatnot.

There are those of us (Me, Kim, Steve) who don't want to be spoiled. Steve doesn't even want to watch any of the trailers, while I do, and I might read a few things, but like Kim will not go and hunt them down.

21. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    TF.N's spoiler policy applies to the news they post, and therefore the titles of said news reports that may appear at the bottom of the page in the "Latest Headlines" box.

The general rule for the forums is that no spoilers should be discussed outside of the spoiler forum. In the interests of those FF members who like to talk about spoilers, I've been letting each forum have a single thread for news/spoilers/anything about Ep3...that gives a single thread for people to avoid. Anyway, it's the most common sense compromise I could come up with across the board mod wise, but it's really up to you guys as to what you want enforced. Obviously, you can't go posting spoilers willy-nilly in random threads or put them in your signatures, but having a thread for whatever legitamate story / personal speculation is fine by me given the proper non-spoiler title with warnings, etc. I'm pretty flexible. ;)

I'll be keeping up with spoilers in general, not hunting down every single last detail like I did for Ep2, but more so than your "trailer only" spoiler fans, so if anything ever needs to be checked out, just let me know.

(edit: oh, I didn't vote, as it's not really up to me. ;) )

22. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    wow, i did not know that...

-b-

23. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm not sure how to vote either. I want to remain as spoiler-free as possible but it might be interesting to read what information Lucas will be releasing. There is so much anticipation for Episode 3 that he probably won't be giving out too much information. I stopped looking at the "Official Obi-Wan Kenobi" board because the moderator said she liked to read spoilers and I was afraid some information might creep in by accident! It's really difficult not to pick up bits of information here and there!

24. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I will be taking the spoiled path. I know I won't have the willpower to ignore all the stuff on the internet and on eBay. I also know that I'll probably buy the novelization two weeks before its release date on eBay again, and then read it within the next 24 hours. I know I'll still enjoy the movie, and that's really all that matters to me. :)

25. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    No, that is a spoiler...as far as every definition I could find on TFN, it's not. But I understand that there is a considerable group of people who wish to avoid all Episode III news until the movie is released. I'll do everything I can to honor your opinion.

I can only protect you, I can't fight a war for you

Alot of this is going to depend on how much everyone can respect the differing views on this matter. I don't mean to single one side out....but it's more likely that a spoiler will post something a non-spoiler doesn't want to hear/know. On the other side, non-spoilers, realize that TFN allows (what some of you consider "spoilers") to be discussed, if it has been released by official sources (starwars.com, Insider, ect)

Be considerate when posting a topic to mention if there are possible "spoilers" in the subject...and don't "let the cat out of the bag" in the title.

We can get through this, we're just going to have to establish some "rules of engagement"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.