main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III spoilers forum: Acceptable behavior?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ElfStar, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's always a difficult balancing act between maintaining peoples' right to free speech, and preventing them from saying things that you don't like. Most goverments have trouble with this too.
    [face_laugh]

2. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    It's called common sense and good upbringing, soitcomestothis. I don't know why people have such an issue with it.

It's not "saying things that you don't like"--it's rudeness. I don't care if people disagree with me but they don't have to be nasty about it.

3. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    By the way, Binary_Sunset is now posting in a thread where he is raising the exact same points that he did in his original thread. The response has been kind so far, although mine was pointed ;)

-----------------------------

it's rudeness.

That's not against the TOS. Do you want to keep banging your head against that wall?

You'd like that, wouldn't you?

Which one, the threat or the promise?

...I am more determined now not to give you the satisfaction.

You already are.

Hey anakin_girl, what do you think of this comment? Is it rude?

"Contribute or leave."

-----------------------------

...where are the Moderators of 3SA in all this?

I think they gave up on this thread long ago.

4. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    it's rudeness.

That's not against the TOS.

As a matter of fact, I think it is. Probably falls under the "treatment of others" category. People have been banned for it in the past, I know that for a fact.

...where are the Moderators of 3SA in all this?

I think they gave up on this thread long ago.

Makes me wonder why the thread hasn't been locked, I guess. [face_plain]

"Contribute or leave."

Sounds like trolling to me. You're trying to aggravate her and make her angry by mocking her comments about "rudeness". That be trolling, Darth_Zidious.

Here's an example:
    Hey, Darth_Zidious, how do you like this comment? This make you happy?

"I think your attiude blows and maybe you should just leave this thread"

See, I'm saying that KNOWING it's meant to piss you off. Granted, it might not piss you off, but that doesn't change the fact that it's MEANT to piss you off. Just like your comment to anakins_girl was meant to piss her off, there's no denying that. In fact, it isn't so much the bolded quote that's the trolling, but the lead-in, asking if the following comment makes the person happy and if they think it's "rude" or not. THAT is what makes it trolling.

Now, knowing that they get heat for overmodding, could it be that the standard for what is apprpriate/inappropriate has slipped somewhat? Or even worse, have the Adms. started toward a more "hands-off" approach, in favor of an active community? Just a thought

It just seems odd that in looking over just about all the other Comms threads, the Mods/Admins are all over them and posting all the time, or sometimes locking them down within 3-5 posts... and yet here's this one, still open after over 20 pages and 500 posts, with minimal Mod/Admin contribution. Doesn't that strike anyone else as a tad bit odd? ?[face_plain]
    Has no one PMed the Mods about this thread?

I don't like it either. I would much rather have a handful of intelligent, respectful posters than a million flamers.

Amen to that. [face_plain]

5. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    2 things.

1. I find it odd that Binary has not updated this thread with his recent postings in 3SA. I saw one early where he pointed out 8-10 things wrong with the PT. In response he got many people articulating a great defense for Lucas, with not a flame insight. This just goes to further prove what an isolated incident the above was.

2. 3SA is a bit clicky, there are certainly different groups that float around, but on the whole they are all friendly and helpful, and so are the mods. I have stated there are changes that could be made to 3SA, DarthAttorney's thoughts on the social thread are right on, but on the whole it is the flagship form on this site, and it is run perfectly the way it is. I was thinking while reading this how many times Grilled has PMed me just to talk about different points I might bring up, just to shoot the breeze. To me that makes all the difference in the world. I really believe the mods do everything they can to make the thread as drama free as possible, and 99.9% of the time they achieve this. It's an excellent form with great leadership coming from the mods.

6. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Zidious: Your comment is disgustingly rude, and yes, it is trolling.

User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense. Also, as a general guideline, all users here should respect one another's opinions and beliefs.

You have violated these particular sections of the TOS by posting what you did to me above. The posts in 3SA that I listed a few pages ago also violate these sections of the TOS.

Again I'll ask you, if you really think I'm not going to make a difference here, why are you so determined to chase me out of the thread and shut me up?

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "It's always a difficult balancing act between maintaining peoples' right to free speech, and preventing them from saying things that you don't like."

That's hardly the problem here, since posting on these boards is a privilege, and not a right. Many n00bs are booted off early because they just don't get that distinction. Prevention=ban. ;)

"it's rudeness."

"That's not against the TOS. Do you want to keep banging your head against that wall?"

Agreed. a-g, if he doesn't get it now, it's likely it'll never happen. ;)

"As a matter of fact, I think it is. Probably falls under the "treatment of others" category. People have been banned for it in the past, I know that for a fact."

Agreed.

"Sounds like trolling to me. You're trying to aggravate her and make her angry by mocking her comments about "rudeness". That be trolling, Darth_Zidious."

Agreed as well. I guess the most optimistic appraisal that can be made of D-Z is that he's giving us plenty of examples of how not to post in the forums, TOS or no TOS. Otherwise.....

"This just goes to further prove what an isolated incident the above was."

"Isolated", no. Extreme case. yes. It still happens in 3SA, just not always to that extent. The causes for the behavior still exist.

Case in point, this post is in B-S's thread...

royalguard96 - "If you dislike it that much, I'm quite sure Lucas won't miss your $9. And besides, how pointless would a PT movie be if not for thousands of silly reasons to bash it?"

Here is the seed. Trolling and baiting, and nothing's being done about it. Can't imagine what might happen next.. ::roll eyes::

"Again I'll ask you, if you really think I'm not going to make a difference here, why are you so determined to chase me out of the thread and shut me up?"

It's called One-up-manship, though it's not really a contest that one wants to win, unless one doesn't care about one's reputation. Considering his stance about rude behavior, he's definitely ahead in the "game:. ;)

Let it go, a-g, there are far better things to discuss in AGFFA... ;)

* puts a-g's hand in his * :)

8. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing. I asked anakin_girl whether she thought the example I gave was rude. It was an example, not a statement from me. The hilarious part is that the statement is a recent quote from MeBeJedi in 3SA! Oh the irony! [face_laugh]

Doesn't that strike anyone else as a tad bit odd?

No, I've seen them behave this way before when they give up, but consider continued venting to be healthy for the people venting.

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    What's funny? This is not an uncommon thing for a mod to say.

Did you want to give the context of that statement, or might that hurt your stance? ;)

Not everyone agrees on what is "rude", what a-g and I are both referring to in general is that you believe anything not covered by the TOS is fair game.

In fact, you seem to delight in it. Rather telling...

"No, I've seen them behave this way before when they give up, but consider continued venting to be healthy for the people venting."

...and again, providing himself as an example. Go figure. ?[face_plain]

10. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    Did you want to give the context of that statement, or might that hurt your stance?

Not at all. The sentence has the exact same meaning within the context of your post. And anakin_girl has called your comment "disgustingly rude".

...you seem to delight in it.

I delight in being correct.

...providing himself as an example.

No no, the people who want change here are the ones "venting". I see no problem with 3SA, so there is nothing for me to vent about. I am responding, clarifying and educating.

11. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Darth_Zidious

Could you clarify as to whether you think rudeness is acceptable behaviour in the 3SA forum? (Or Comms, come to that...) Because you seem to be saying in your 11/16 7:19pm post that it is, which I find quite surprising.

12. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    Could you clarify as to whether you think rudeness is acceptable behaviour in the 3SA forum?

First I have to define "acceptable", which I will define as anything the mods allow. Rudeness is allowed (and has been since I started here years ago). There's your answer.

I would surmise that the reason "rudeness" is not listed in the TOS is that it would be far too difficult to determine what is and isn't rude. Just look at the example I asked anakin_girl about. MeBeJedi is now trying to say his comment wasn't rude!

13. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing. I asked anakin_girl whether she thought the example I gave was rude. It was an example, not a statement from me. The hilarious part is that the statement is a recent quote from MeBeJedi in 3SA! Oh the irony!

Someone didn't read my post...

No, I've seen them behave this way before when they give up, but consider continued venting to be healthy for the people venting.

Oh, so you presume to speak for the Mods now?
    Maybe I'll just PM a few of them and see what they think.

You must not be very happy right now then.
    Either that, or you're being delusional. You ARE trolling, and you ARE being rude. Is there any reason in particular you can't see that? ?[face_plain]

I am responding, clarifying and educating.

ROFL! That's rich. [face_laugh]
    You are trolling, nothing more.

First I have to define "acceptable", which I will define as anything the mods allow. Rudeness is allowed (and has been since I started here years ago).

Maybe that's why this thread is here. Rudeness is against the TOS (anakins_girl quoted specific passages from the TOS stating as such. Did you miss those or something?) and for some reason the Mods choose not to enforce the TOS on this occasion. Just because it's not enforced in this isolated incident does NOT make it "right" or "okay" or "justified". And to clarify this incident and why this is occuring, we need Moderator input.

I think I'm gonna go PM some Mods. [face_plain]

Edit - just fired off 7 PMs to 7 different Mods/Admins, for both the Comms board and the 3SA board itself.

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    24 hours for rudeness for Darth_Zidious. And a 24 hour thread lock on this.

15. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    24 hours is long since up, here we go again.

16. SOCKIT2ME

SOCKIT2ME Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    Where was DZ rude. I didn't see it.

17. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    SOCKIT2ME: In pretty much every single one of his posts, but for argument's sake, I'll give you some examples:

Whine whine whine. So many complaints and so little discussion of what to do about it.

Is that a threat or a promise?

There's no chance of that! [face_laugh]

Yes, I lie awake at night shaking in fear.

There is no problem. Just because you think there is one doesn't mean there is one.

[face_laugh] The forum is filled with negative opinions. The overwhelming evidence is there in abundance for all to see. To think otherwise is pure fantasy.

Three whole reasons, eh?

And yet you insist there is no problem with the mods. How odd.

It's a proposal that has zero chance of being implemented. It's not serious.

"Contribute or leave."

There you go. If you actually think these comments are polite, I'd certainly be interested in hearing your rationalization. If these comments are polite, I'd hate to think what you consider "rude" to be.

18. SOCKIT2ME

Oct 25, 2003
    I wouldn't call these polite or rude. They are just comments. I am from NYC so I guess it takes alot more to make me think that something as harmful as

"I delight in being correct" is actually a rude comment. However interpreting it as rude may be a shade towards the egocentric side.

19. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    Where was DZ rude. I didn't see it.

Bless you. :)

None of my comments were more "rude" than that of many others in this thread.

"Contribute or leave" is what MeBeJedi posted to someone in 3SA. It's not my comment. I asked a straightforward question of anakin_girl's opinion of it. "The door is over there. C-ya!" is another comment from the same person directed at me. Astounding.

"I delight in being correct"

This is a statement of fact. I enjoy being correct (when I am correct).

20. SOCKIT2ME

Oct 25, 2003
    Exactly. Accusing someone of being rude when they aren't is actually more rude. It seems like a way to be rude while playing the martyr.

21. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    SOCKIT2ME: I am not from NYC--I am from the South--and every last one of those comments were rude. No offense to New Yorkers, but I think that we need to be using the stricter definition of what is and isn't rude, not the most relaxed standard.

And evidently at least one moderator agreed with me.

However interpreting it as rude may be a shade towards the egocentric side.

The comment itself was egocentric, and that's what makes it rude. There are few things I hate worse than a man with a big ego.

And I don't appreciate your saying that I was rude when you see nothing wrong with the way Zidious was talking to me. [face_plain]

22. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Nice try though, and thanks for the preview of what could be the funniest and most pathetic arguments of all time."

Sound familiar at all to anyone here? That's the sort of comment that I would consider rude. There's some very different standards of what's rude or not floating around here. Right now, it's being discussed in the Mod Squad where we draw the line.

23. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Raven/Gandolf: I hope the Mod Squad chooses to go with the version accepted by mature adults with good upbringing.

24. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I hope the Mod Squad chooses to go with the version accepted by mature adults with good upbringing.

That's kind of a rude comment itself, considering what's implied. [face_plain]

25. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    And what exactly is implied? I'm at a loss to see how that is rude.

We can see by this thread here that some people think it's OK to be immature (hence the comment "Maturity is not a requirement of the TOS"), and we have varying opinions on what does and does not constitute rudeness. All I was asking was for the stricter version of what is and is not rude, rather than the version that says "That comment wasn't rude--it's just a comment. You're too sensitive and take things too personally." I get tired of hearing that--if something is offensive, it's offensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.