main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III spoilers forum: Acceptable behavior?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ElfStar, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I'll be brief because this thread is getting out of hand. Users should not skirt the 3SA rules and continually create inappropriate AOTC/TPM bash/gush posts in 3SA.

The thread in question here said "EP III can't be dark because TPM/AOTC sucks." Holy Star Destroyers people, this isn't brain surgery. The intent was obvious. The thread was appropriately locked. Thank the Maker.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Tribunals? This isn't the Soviet Union.

I guess that would make the Bashers the Kulaks.

Are the commissars invited?

Seriously, the Ep. 3 forum is in overdrive right now because of the sheer volume of "spoilers".

Some people there also have alot of animosity towards Binary.

That's just weird.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Before people get too carried away with teh "boo hoo! this wasn't a general bash at the prequals but valid disscusion of the e-3 Spoilers" I present the post (edit to remove any referance to spoilers)

(edit: Too much reference to spoiler material.)

Sorry Binary, it comes across as a general PT bash to me... The edits I made were very minor (like a few lines) that do not effect the overall idea of the post that e-3 will suck because all the rest of the prequals do.

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I know Valyn was flamed and those who did the flaming didnt get in trouble. Its actions like that make the Unban Valyn thread alive.[/i]

Ok here's the whole thing in a nut shell. if someone flames you go to a mod or any admin. If you flame that person back you are just as gulit as the person who flamed you.

5. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Yeah...the more that I read it...the more it seems like a carefully construed, calculated, and sugar-coated bash of the PT...including what we know of Episode III. I guess he/she/anyone who posts something like that in a forum full of folks who are enjoying the spoilers should expect a reaction. But that doesn't mean people should react the way that they did...regardless of who it is. And I guess...as said...he didn't dive in there and say something asinine like "Episode III is gunna suck azz!!11!!"....

I don't know. I guess there is a "Sanctuary" for a reason...and those folks should probably just stay in there if they want to continue to bash the PT. Otherwise, it's gonna cause problems...as evident by the events that transpired in that thread. That's the way I look at it...//shrugs//

Shelby2

6. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    "I guess there is a "Sanctuary" for a reason...and those folks should probably just stay in there if they want to continue to bash the PT."

But we can't discuss spoilers in the Sanctuary.

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I am a hardcore gusher.

I love the PT.

And I am absolutely APPALLED at how people reacted to Binary's thread.

He made a well-thought-out post that did not whine, did not needlessly bash for the sake of bashing and attempted to spark serious discussion, not just piss everyone off.

Heck, I'd've enjoyed posting in that thread if it hadn't gotten yanked out of control.

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Nov 25, 2002
    "But we can't discuss spoilers in the Sanctuary."

That's true. Hmmm. Do you think they might let you guys post spoilers in your thread if you guys black them out? ?[face_plain] Might be worth checking-up on.

I agree with Adam. I don't think the thread should've garnered the pot-shots and name-calling that it did. ;)

Shelby2

9. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Do you think they might let you guys post spoilers in your thread if you guys black them out?

That would be a negative. First and foremost, one missed "/" in the markup and the spoiler is posted for all to see. Second, I've been doing my best to keep discussion away from Ep. III.

10. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Nov 25, 2002
    "That would be a negative. First and foremost, one missed "/" in the markup and the spoiler is posted for all to see."

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

"Second, I've been doing my best to keep discussion away from Ep. III."

I guess my question....or problem, even...is this. Why bash a movie that has yet to be released? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until May of 2005 to bash something? It'd seem more prudent to do-so after you've seen it...and can formulate an opinion on what you just saw. Bashing it now seems premature and kinda pointless, IMO...especially since the bulk of info that has been released may or may not be 100% accurate...//shrugs//

Shelby2

11. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I concur, but there's a larger issue that defines this one: "What constitutes bashing?" It's a very subjective phenomenon, and I've yet to come across anyone who can adequately define it without resorting to their own opinion (i.e., "something with which I disagree"). That makes it very hard to distinguish criticism/concern from "mindless bashing" as some posters have referred to it (in past discussions) - both are painted with a rather broad brush.

I'm trying my level best to take everything I see and read with a grain of salt and cautious optimism, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone less sympathetically inclined than I am.

12. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Adam, thanks for the post! :)

Leonard, I just wanted to comment on the E3 spoilers. It makes just as much sense to express one's reservations about spoilers as it does to express one's excitement about spoilers.

13. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Nov 25, 2002
    Surprisingly...I agree with you, Binary... ;) :) :p

Shelby2

14. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    bashing stuff= ok
    bashing people= not ok

15. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    I just wanted to comment on the E3 spoilers.

The thread said "EP III can't be dark because TPM/AOTC sucks." That has nothing to do with EP III spoilers. The same thread could have been posted in the AOTC forum back in May 2002. It's an obvious and thinly veiled TPM/AOTC bash thread.

16. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Debating the topic at hand is one thing, but going after the person is another. Telling them to "Get a life" is childish. I saw the topic BS started, and disagreed with a few of his points. I was going to post, but saw all the bashing going on and steered clear. It's a shame, because some good discussion could have come of it. People can post their ideas and opinions, even if you don't agree with it. There's no reason they should be subjected to flaming because of it.

17. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    The thread said "EP III can't be dark because TPM/AOTC sucks." That has nothing to do with EP III spoilers.

I would suggest you go back and reread what Binary actually wrote. His thread examines the likelihood of particular things happening in Ep. III and his belief in them in light of the PT so far. You're grossly mischaracterizing the thread.

18. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Nov 25, 2002
    "The thread said "EP III can't be dark because TPM/AOTC sucks.""

It didn't say that. Subtley? Perhaps...but it didn't outright say "TPM/AOTC suck"...

"That has nothing to do with EP III spoilers. The same thread could have been posted in the AOTC forum back in May 2002. It's an obvious and thinly veiled TPM/AOTC bash thread."

This may be true...but it still doesn't give the posters any kind of right to act like little spoiled children and bash away on the author of said thread. ;)

There were some pretty pathetic remarks in that thread...based mainly on who the author was. Which is pretty uncool, really...

Now...do I agree with what he said in the initial post in his thread? Hell no. But it shouldn't have degenerated into what it did. I'd like to think most people here are adults...and can conduct themselves appropriately. But based on the actions by many posters in that thread, this simply is not the case.

I also think the mods should've done something MUCH sooner...instead of letting it spiral out of control like that. ;)

Shelby2

19. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I think the thread was closed because it was derailed Binary not because of the arguments you presented. As such, I think Dehrian should have warned those flaming and banned a couple who stepped over the line. That seems like the sensible solution. I did get the impression the decision was made with not a lot of thought...more a reaction to the flaming. It was sad that you and a few others got lumped into the whole mess.

20. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    "The same thread could have been posted in the AOTC forum back in May 2002."

It most certainly could not, as witnessed by the fact that we can't cut-and-paste my posts into this thread because they contain spoilers. The thread wouldn't have been possible without the spoilers.

Surely you're not saying that one can't reference TPM or AOTC in a critical way when discussing spoilers?

21. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I would like to know if Dehrian warned or banned any of those members for their remarks. Secondly, I would like to know why the thread was closed. Was it because of Binary's post or the other member's behaviour. I suspect there is some discrimination going on here.

22. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Nov 25, 2002
    I personally don't see any reason why that thread should remain closed...if the posting that goes-on in there stays respectful from this point on...

Shelby2

23. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I agree with Elfstar and some others about the thread. When I read the locked topic I found that some members started talking about others things. Also they were flaming too much.

Yes, there is going to always a problem with the spoilers area, because Episode III is the next and final movie of Star Wars. Still insulting is not the right thing to do.

I am just giving my opinion.

24. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    His thread examines the likelihood of particular things happening in Ep. III and his belief in them in light of the PT so far. You're grossly mischaracterizing the thread.

My description is accurate. The argument is that EP III can't be dark because the previous two movies failed to make an emotional connection. The ONLY way to discuss this is to talk at length about the supposed failings of AOTC/TPM. Therefore it's in the wrong forum. The listing of EP III spoilers is just a thin cover to try to skirt the rules.

He can easily go to the Basher's sanctuary and create a thread that says "EP III will fail to be dark because of the following problems with AOTC/TPM."

Go read the post again. Now how in the hell is anyone supposed to respond to it without the thread being primarily about the quality of the PT? Read the last sentence in the post. It's clearly designed to start a PT basher thread. That is not what 3SA is for.

25. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    The argument is that EP III can't be dark because the previous two movies failed to make an emotional connection.

And he also mentioned this in the context of the spoilers from EpIII that he has heard about. These very spoilers are not allowed anywhere else.

The listing of EP III spoilers is just a thin cover to try to skirt the rules.

Or, his intentions are exactly what he said they were. Either he is lying or you are wrong. Take your pick.

The ONLY way to discuss this is to talk at length about the supposed failings of AOTC/TPM.

Please direct me to the rule that states that there is not allowed any mention of the other SW films when in the EPIII forum.

He can easily go to the Basher's sanctuary and create a thread that says "EP III will fail to be dark because of the following problems with AOTC/TPM."

Where he is not allowed to talk about the things he knows about EpIII due to no spoilers allowed. Regardless of this, he should be allowed to post his concerns in more than one place.

Go read the post again. Now how in the hell is anyone supposed to respond to it without the thread being primarily about the quality of the PT?

Last time I checked, EpIII was a part of the PT. All the films are linked. Often you need to bring up all the films to make your point. What you are asking for is pointless. EpIII is the payoff to I and II. You should be able to discuss the potential payoff the film will or will not have.

Read the last sentence in the post. It's clearly designed to start a PT basher thread. That is not what 3SA is for.

Well, the point was the point he made: judging by the events known to happen in EpIII, he can't see why he would care when he sees it. Only your biased attitude has warped everything he writes into a baiting, troll thread. Anyone who knows Binary well (including Gushers) know him to be straight up, opinionated, passionate and a pretty decent guy. He doesn't go out of his way to upset anyone nor does he conspire to veil his threads. You've lumped him into a category and fallen back on some perceived forum guidlines to justify your prejudice.

Binary isn't allowed to post in the EpIII forum? Actually, you don't WANT him to post in the EpIII forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.