Episode III spoilers forum: Acceptable behavior?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ElfStar, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Darth_Zidious Chosen One

star 4
    And he also mentioned this in the context of the spoilers from EpIII that he has heard about.

The listing of those spoilers was an attempt to veil the true intention of the thread. They aren't necessary for the "context". The supposed failings of AOTC/TPM and its impact on EP III can be fully discussed without any reference to actual spoilers. That can be done in the appropriate AOTC/TPM forum.

Please direct me to the rule that states that there is not allowed any mention of the other SW films when in the EPIII forum.

I didn't say that. But threads whose primary purpose is to bash AOTC/TPM don't belong in 3SA, period. His post could only lead to one thing: bashing/defending of AOTC/TPM. It's the primary thesis of the post!
  2. Cheri Jedi Master

star 4
    There's one quote from that thread that I really hope at LEAST earned the person a warning, if not a ban.

"I feel sorry for your parents ....sitting at home thinking if only we had used a condom."

What other reason is there for posting that, other than a blatant flame?
  3. Lurking_Llama Jedi Padawan

No 3sa mod input yet? I have to say, I've seen so much flaming in 3sa in the past, but I honsetly don't remember ever seeing anyone banned for flaming. Why not?

I'm interested in what happens in ep3. I want to hear everyone's opinion about it, good or bad. It's really a big turn off tho when I see personal attacks and nothing being done about it. Part of the reason I like reading these boards is that overall, there's not much hostile garbage you see at many other boards.

Look, 3sa is a big place. There are six mods. It's time to step up and tackle this problem. You guys do a good job with thread locking, but I'd rather see ten redundent threads, than see threads where fans flame each other.

Come on now, flame type posts are for the most part what makes alot of 3sa unreadable trash, yet the solution is so simple. Use the ban button. Spare the warnings. What's the poinst of a warning anyways?

Anyways just this is just the opinion of a random lurker.
  4. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd Jedi Master

star 4
    ^Very good post. I totally agree. :)

Shelby2
  5. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    I also have to agree that the 3SA forum is a bit out of control when it comes to flaming... I happen to hope that one particular 'spoiler' is a load of bloodlust bunk, however, I dislike posting against it for fear of becoming BBQ'd Breezy...

However, as far as the original post that started this thread (although I think it's brought to light the REAL problem we've had in 3SA... no one likes to go 'tattling off' when they've been singed by a flame.) I happen to think that it was a general bash at the PT overall... the pre bashing of E-3 based on spec...

Binary, I don't think you should have been roasted as thouroughly as you were, but I think your statements really left no room for debate... it seemed to be more of a "E-3 will suck because of my perceptions of the prequals"... ie "these characters were weak" ect...
  6. Binary_Sunset Force Ghost

star 5
    Hawk, thanks for your kind words! :)

Zidious, certain things happen in E3 that are supposed to make the movie dark. Because of the failings of TPM and AOTC, these things won't make E3 dark.

What things are these?

I can't post them here, because they are spoilers. That's why I can't post them in the Sanctuary. I'd much rather post in the mature Sanctuary than post them where I did and get condom remarks.

Can you imagine my post if I did post it in the Sanctuary without spoilers? Something like this:

"Hey, certain bad things happen to certain people in E3. I know this because I read the spoilers. Now, I can't tell you what bad things happen, nor can I tell you to whom they happen. All I can tell you is that these bad things happening to certain people won't make the film dark. Why not? Well, I would analyze these certain characters in TPM and AOTC, but I can't because then you'd know to whom the bad things happen. But just trust me when I say that when bad things happen to certain people you won't care."

I mean, come on.
  7. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd Jedi Master

star 4
    "Zidious, certain things happen in E3 that are supposed to make the movie dark. Because of the failings of TPM and AOTC, these things won't make E3 dark."

I must disagree with this. I mean...even though you didn't make any connection or have any feelings for the PT characters, it doesn't mean that the events that play-out in this movie aren't dark. We have a hero becoming evil and killing-off his comrades...amongst others. That constitutes pretty damn dark, IMO. ;)

You see? It can be done without making sniveling and childish remarks! ;) :)

Shelby2
  8. PatttyB0123 RSA Latin America

Manager
    star 6
    I agreed You guys do a good job with thread locking and Come on now, flame type posts are for the most part what makes alot of 3sa unreadable trashsome and some other opinions.

Also I read some mature comments that they did not belong to the spoilers area. Once more I am just giving my opinion.
  9. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We're all human beings and can't be expected to react to everything in an equally neutral way.

Were there some over-the-line trashing going on in there? Certainly. Would those comments have been as acidic if that exact same thread had a different author? I would have to guess no.

This seems to be a case of someone's reputation preceeding him. Nothing against Binary personally, but I think when people saw who authored the thread, and what the nature of that thread was, the prequel defense systems automatically went up.

This is afterall a Star Wars site, and one needs to expect the majority of the population here to be Star Wars fans, those who love the films (old and new) and who will be ready to defend something they love when they see it get trashed. People who have made it a long-running habit to slam the prequels have to expect some strong reactions when floating an unpopular theory in a new forum.

This doesn't justify some of the flaming that went on in that thread. Flaming should never be an acceptable response, though in this case, considering the source and nature of the thread, it shouldn't be unexpected.

And I should also give props to Binary for not lowering himself to the level some of the posters in that thread did. I 100 percent disagree with him on just about every topic regarding post-ESB Star Wars, but I appreciate him staying above all the flaming.
  10. hawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Zidious

The listing of those spoilers was an attempt to veil the true intention of the thread.

The listing of those spoilers was to enable Binary's real point. He wasn't veiling anything. He came right out and said given the events in EpIII, he can't see why THEY would be dark. Only your spin (which is a veiled attempt to keep differing views out of your face) makes it devious.

But threads whose primary purpose is to bash AOTC/TPM don't belong in 3SA, period. His post could only lead to one thing: bashing/defending of AOTC/TPM. It's the primary thesis of the post!

The primary point was that given the events in EpIII, he can't see why he would care about the characters or how those events would be dark. Basing TPM and AOTC belong anywhere so long as they fit the context of the forum which I believe does. Once again, your posts are thinly veiled attempts to justify a prejudice you have.

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Episode III, even now with constant news, is pretty much a spam forum. You can hardly find a legitimate thread nowadays there without half the posts being redundant or spam.
  12. Darth_Zidious Chosen One

star 4
    I won't enjoy football next year regardless of how the National Football League adjusts its rules because the Steelers suck and they will always suck. The players are bad, the coach is bad and the ownership is bad.

Now please don't attack lil' old me, I just want to discuss the NFL rule changes.
  13. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    It's great to see all of the 3SA mods coming in here and giving their input.
  14. Cheri Jedi Master

star 4
    Well it is the weekend.. .maybe they are doing stuff.
  15. hawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nice strawman there Zidious.
  16. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Flaming should not be tolerated. However, most of the flaming I have seen was only a result of flame baiting. Posting a thread such as "Episode 3 won't be dark and here is why" or "Bashers Sanctuary 2" (which, granted, was locked immediately) is flame bait, pure and simple. Bashing a film that has not even come out yet...heck that just finished principal photography...is flame bait. I am absolutely confident that there are certain users who hope and pray Ep3 will suck just so they can say "I told you so." Those flaming must be punished but so must those doing the baiting.

If you wanna say "I don't like the sound of this spoiler" that's fine. But if you say "Episode 3 will suck" that should not be tolerated.
  17. ElfStar Jedi Master

star 4
    Having a different opinion is not flame-baiting. Binary Sunset has his opinions and he expressed his opinion in a legitimate thread. If you just say "Ep 3 will suck!", yes, that's trolling, but Binary backed his opinion up. Nothing baiting about that, unless people make it so to themselves.
  18. hawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Posting a thread such as "Episode 3 won't be dark and here is why"...is flame bait, pure and simple.

Ridiculous. How is this a flame bait? Because you disagree with the topic?
  19. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It is indeed flame baiting because you cannot have an opinion of a movie you know nothing about!
  20. Binary_Sunset Force Ghost

star 5
    "you cannot have an opinion of a movie you know nothing about!"

The E3 boards are hereby closed until May 2005.
  21. hawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  22. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Binary backed his opinion up

He backed it up with his personal opinions of the PT in general, which is part of the reason the thread went in the direction I think it did. His opinions were getting attacked as well, which is not against the TOS, though flaming was quite common there as well.

There are very few concrete facts known about the film right now one can use to support the opinion stated in the thread title.
  23. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay let me rephrase. You cannot have an opinion on the quality of a film that is not even close to coming out.

And it's also flame bait because you know exactly the kind of negative reaction you are going to get by posting the thread.
  24. ElfStar Jedi Master

star 4
    So you are basically saying it's Binary's fault he got the responses he did?
  25. Lurking_Llama Jedi Padawan

Lord knows I don't agree with Binary on alot of things, but he's always nothing short of polite.

I just see his thread as one of many examples of what people can get away with in the forum. Here's how I see it. It doesn't matter if it's him, me, you, a newbie, or a lover of all things starwars. If they start a thread with any negativity, question, or doubt, wether it be a brilliant post or not, the flames will burn on. That's the real issue here. It's not "why are skeptics posting here?", It's "why are folks flaming and getting away with it?".

Sorry in advance for puncuation, spelling, and whatever else you noticed. :p

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.