main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Episode III Title and Official News Discussion"

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by DarthLucanas, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Ummm, why is it okay for the title to be in the Star Wars Films forums but not here?

Shouldn't the title be taken out of there as well?

How many seperate complaints did you get about this thread?

2. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I know you don't make the rules, but we're going to question the rules anyway. Especially rules that contradict the spoiler definition and policy of the entire website. We brought up several points that show how ludricrous this new "policy" is; while you may not have made the policy, it would be appreciated if you could take our argument to those who did create it. We just want to be heard.

Changing the icons wasn't to offend you...it was just to prove a point. No one on these boards is going to escape the title of the movie. It's in national news. It's all over this website. People aren't going to be able to walk into the movie theater blindfolded still not knowing what the title is. It's an unreasonable expectation of this site and of our forum, which is why TFN has a spoiler policy. It's why official Episode III information is permitted in the icons, for everyone to see regardless of how they feel about it. It's why ROTS is now being used in the non-spoiler film forum.

From the beginning of this argument over the change of our thread title I've said that Boston's spoiler policy is that of TFN: all LFL released material is considered to be non-spoiler and won't be shielded in any way in our forum. Throughout our PM exchange I kept bringing this up, that this was OUR policy, but I felt like it was a point totally ignored. That's mostly why I unleashed much of my frustration in here, talking to my friends, because I didn't feel that much of what I was saying was being listened to at all. The replies I got were rather curt and abrupt and I got more frustrated. I told you that having "spoilers" in the title of this thread was a problem more than once in our PMs but it wasn't until you posted here that you said you didn't have a problem with it.

A sticky thread for our spoiler policy is a great idea and I've actually already started working on it after this whole thing exploded today. If we are allowed to establish our own spoiler policy, one that is identical to that of TFN, will we be permitted to use Revenge of the Sith in our thread titles?

Thanks for your help strawbary. What bothered me the most about this is that I felt our chapter was being denied the privilege of having our own spoiler policy, one that is exactly the same as that of this entire website, and instead having the unrealistic expectations of others in a significant minority imposed on our conversation. Majority rules, and the majority here thinks that the TFN rules are fine. That's our spoiler policy and we just want the same allowance to have that as every other FanForce on these boards. There are some decisions we should be able to make for ourselves, and that is one of them.

3. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Oh nerd drama.
    What does it really matter?
    Any SW fan worth his or her salt is going to know the title anyway.
    Quit worrying so much.
    You'll live longer. :)

4. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I know it doesn't concern you Tony. But the way our conversation is conducted and moderated on these boards does concern me, as it should, because I'm leading the group. I'm hardly overreacting, I'm not about to jump off a bridge or leave the boards over something like this. I just want to be clear on what rules we are entitled to make for ourselves and I want to voice my opinion on policies I object to. Simple as that.

EDIT: And thanks for the title change again strawbary; I'm very content with the way it is now.

5. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I appreciate your response however you have to know you were not ignored. I honeslty can say I did not see your request to change the title.
    I repsect your beliefs and yes most SW fans DO know the title. As I have stated it was in respect of a complaint and thats my job to try to respect those as well.

I can add a sticky on the top of your forum for spoilers. just Pm me something you want precise and I will merely cut and paste it for you to make sure its clear. ;)

Hope that is settled for now
    Take care

6. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    You're missing what we are saying. The title ISN'T a spoiler. Plot details,pictures of characters,vehicle descriptions and things like that are spoilers. The title isn't. I sure don't remember there being a big stink about people talking about Attack of the Clones being the title of Episode 2.

7. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    there wasnt a big stink about the ATOC title I dont remember any complaints.

I can tell you that in 4 other forums I have had complaints about the title. So its not your forum being picked on. I am not going to keep repeating myself - I DO undertsand what u are saying. I also know I have had complaints and I cant believe no one can find a happy medium here.

8. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    So is this policy is for the Northeast FanForce chapters or is it all forums?

9. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    A spoiler policy has been created and submitted for posting in a sticky thread. According to this policy Revenge of the Sith can be posted anywhere on our boards since it complies with TFN's spoiler policy, which we're adopting as our own. However, I'm happy with the title of this thread as is. This thread is for the non-spoiler discussion of ROTS, which includes discussion of the title and any other officially released news.

With our own spoiler policy we shouldn't run into this problem again. There's been a lot of good - albeit heated - discussion here. While all parties may not be totally happy I think this is as much resolution as we're going to get for now, so let's just step back and see how this works out. We can't control the spoiler policy in other forums but we can control the policy in our own.

So...how many of you have already ordered the ROTS shirt? I picked one up at Comic-Con and will be wearing it to our meet on Saturday. :)

10. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'd still like to know if the ROTS being in the title of a thread is a spoiler or not. I don't think it is and I don't think one person should be able to say it is in one forum but not in others. Are there two sets of rules? One for the Northeast FanForce Chapters and another for everyone else?

11. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I find it amazing that people actually complained that the title is a spoiler. I've got news for them - in a few months, the title is going to be all over the place, in posters, ads, trailers, etc. Good luck avoiding it then.....

12. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Well it seems we need to placate the lunatic fringe of those who don't plan on venturing outside,watch TV or listen to the radio until next year .You know, the Shut-Ins. Maybe they should consider putting aluminum headbands on to make sure nobody projects the title into their brains. We mustn't be to careful. [face_plain]

13. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    (Off topic: Hi Roseanna... sorry I didn't get to talk with you much at all at con. I stopped by artists alley on Sunday but I was told you were "shopping." I hope you picked up something nice. ;) Did you get the Luke Stormtrooper bust or Bust-ups figures? James and Whitney said you were staying with them Sunday night. Next year if you come out again, I hope we will be able to visit some more.)

On topic: Hi guys... I was asked to stop by and clarify the reasons behind the edit to the thread title. You are definitely correct in your statements that anything posted on the official site (except for Hyperspace) is not spoiler material according to TFN/Fanforce. However, as a common courtesy, we ask that you respect the wishes of your fellow club members who wish to remain spoiler free. Even though anything posted on the free side of StarWars.com is generally not considered a spoiler by TFN, it may be considered spoiler material by your fellow club members. Therefore, any information regarding Episode III, no matter how benign it may appear to you, please do not post the information in the Topic Sentence of the thread. Instead, the topic sentence should be vague, and should include the words "Possible Spoilers." Whenever there is a complaint registered by a member in a specific chapter, we then have to go in and add "possible spoilers" to the thread title. If no complaint is registered, then the thread is left alone. For example, in my region (Pacific Region) I only received complaints about the title of Episode III threads from individuals in two cities, my own chapter of San Diego, and the Sacramento CA fanforce chapter. I did not receive complaints from a single member in the other 16 forums so their threads were left as is. Apparently there were complaints voiced in the NorthEast which necessitated the edit. Thanks in advance for your understanding and future cooperation.

Linda :)

14. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    It's good to have an Offical Ep3 news thread. That way people coming in will know we are talking about Ep3 and things that LFL has publically released about it and I don't have to worry about the people that are trying to avoid everything no matter how insignificant it seems to the rest of us.

15. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    On topic: Hi guys... I was asked to stop by and clarify the reasons behind the edit to the thread title. You are definitely correct in your statements that anything posted on the official site (except for Hyperspace) is not spoiler material according to TFN/Fanforce. However, as a common courtesy, we ask that you respect the wishes of your fellow club members who wish to remain spoiler free. Even though anything posted on the free side of StarWars.com is generally not considered a spoiler by TFN, it may be considered spoiler material by your fellow club members. Therefore, any information regarding Episode III, no matter how benign it may appear to you, please do not post the information in the Topic Sentence of the thread. Instead, the topic sentence should be vague, and should include the words "Possible Spoilers." Whenever there is a complaint registered by a member in a specific chapter, we then have to go in and add "possible spoilers" to the thread title. If no complaint is registered, then the thread is left alone. For example, in my region (Pacific Region) I only received complaints about the title of Episode III threads from individuals in two cities, my own chapter of San Diego, and the Sacramento CA fanforce chapter. I did not receive complaints from a single member in the other 16 forums so their threads were left as is. Apparently there were complaints voiced in the NorthEast which necessitated the edit. Thanks in advance for your understanding and future cooperation.

So there are in fact two sets of rules? One for the Northeast and one for everyone else?

Why can't we get a number on the amount of people that complained? How many crackpots does it take to make a change? Shouldn't these things be spelled out more clearly?

16. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    It's nice that all the Rebels have come together to blast this Admin Decree.

17. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    It just doesn't make any sense. Looking at the bottom of this page in the Latest Headline Box there is a headline that reads EP3: Digital Wookiees and Fight Scenes. That's not a spoiler but putting the title that has been released to the public through official channels is? That's Moronic with a capital M.

18. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Ryno, I'm not sure why you think there are two sets of rules, one for the NorthEast and one for the rest of Fanforce. Can you please clarify for me what makes you think so? As I stated in my post above, the Pacific US region had complaints in 2 of our 18 forums, so the thread title was changed in those cities as well. Perhaps the NorthEastern region, being as densely populated in terms of membership as it is, had more complaints than the rest of the country or the world. It is not fanforce policy to disclose whom complained about what without their permission, so I can't help you there. I understand your frustration though as I personally don't think the title of the movie is a spoiler, but we do have to try to be considerate of every member of fanforce. You are welcome to PM me if you want to discuss anything further.

19. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I think taking it to PM's is cowardly.I think it should be discussed in the open so everyone can see what is being said.

Edit: By the way, I never asked for names.I asked for numbers.As in how many people complained not who they were. I don't see a reason why the number of people that had a problem with it can't be given out.Unless there were really only one or perhaps even none.

Here's the question I'd like to here a direct and clear answer on.

If someone complains about the title being in a thread header it will be changed regardless of whether it's in the Northeast or not?

That's a pretty straight forward question.How about a straight forward answer.

20. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    If someone complains about the title being in a thread header it will be changed regardless of whether it's in the Northeast or not?

Of course, it will be changed in whatever chapter a complaint is received about. As I stated above, in my region I only had to edit the title in 2 out of the 18 forums in my region because the only complaints came within those chapters. I'm not sure of the numbers of complaints in the Northeast or Boston specifically, you will have to ask your RSA about that. In the Pacific region, the title of the threads in those two cities were changed due to 1 complaint in both cases, yet the complaints came from a CR in one case, and a club officer in the other. Please know that this is a problem that has popped up in all regions of fanforce, not just the NE, and discussions are currently going on both on the JC side, and in fanforce administration, regarding the Spoiler policy.

21. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    let me get this straight, cause I'm kinda slow sometimes. If you get one complaint about a thread title you'll edit it? Correct? Even if the complaint comes from someone outside the group?

Example,take the thread here in question, if someone from say, Pittsburgh (no offense to Pittsburgh, great bunch of folks, just an example),gives a complaint yet noone from Boston does, will you still edit the title?

22. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    If that's the case I herby formally complain that the title to the new Star Wars Film is listed in the header of threads in the following FanForce forums....

Chicago,IL
    Louisville, KY
    Columbus, OH
    Denver,CO
    Orlando, FL
    Augusta, GA
    Raleigh, NC
    Winston-Salem, NC
    British Isles - Regional Discussion
    Vancouver
    Edmonton
    Portugal
    Finland
    Norway
    Queensland
    Philippines
    South Africa

In the interest of having a fair and uniform policy I request that they be taken out as soon as possible.

23. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
  24. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    No, the complaint has to come from a member within that city forum, as in my example above, the complaints I received were from very active members in their chapters. If someone comes from another fanforce chapter with a stricter spoiler policy in force, I would suggest to them that they stick to their own forum to post rather than risk being spoiled. The San Diego policy is quite strict, and one of our members has pretty much sequestered himself to our boards only until Episode III comes out.

Edit: Sith_Wench, thanks for the comic relief *runs off to post that comic on my board* ;)

25. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I honestly doubt a complaint came from a member of the Rebels which means the changes were made against this so called policy that hasn't been put in writing and doesn't seem to be in effect anywhere else.

This is a huge load of bull.You two are just going to change the qualifiers to meet whatever you want them to be. I think it's time to look for someone else to review it.

Edit: Any chance we'll get a confirmation on wheter a Rebel complained about the title boing posted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.