main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Episode III Title and Official News Discussion"

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by DarthLucanas, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Feel free to contact the other GSAs Shara_82 and Obi_Anne if you need further clarification Ryno.

2. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Not to worry.I'm working on getting real answers.It should make for a nice change.

3. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I gave you the real answers, but perhaps I wasn't explaining them in a way that you could understand. Whether or not you agree with the spoiler policy at fanforce, it is what it is.

4. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Scott for RSA! :p

5. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I gave you the real answers, but perhaps I wasn't explaining them in a way that you could understand. Whether or not you agree with the spoiler policy at fanforce, it is what it is.

Trust me. You're not so bright that I wouldn't be able to understand you. [face_plain]

It seems like you're saying that the spoiler policy is what ever the RSA says it is and there is no set policy which if I may say, is a complete load of garbage.

I'm just shocked that our RSA was able to change the name of the threads so quickly given how it normally takes weeks of hounding to get the most mundane of changes made. (And for the record if you want to consider that a flame feel free but at least it's an accurate flame.)

6. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    Let me get this straight,You're trying to say ROTS is a spoiler,HAHAHAHA This is absurd!!!
    I'm a hardcore spoiler free fan, and don't want any spoilers of any kind. But to say that the title of the movie is a spoiler is the most ridiculous, laughable thing ever! ITS NOT A SPOILER! Its been on ESPN,CNN, Local news, newspapers and is an icon and thread here on TFN.
    Its not a spoiler.

7. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Ryno

I dont understand what you dont understand. In NYC we had two threads which announced the title. The first thread was posted without a spoiler warning. The second created by another member was created with a spoiler warning. At the request of one ouf our more active members the one without the spoiler warning was locked due to the fact that certain members of MEPA are still spoiler free and the title to them is a spoiler. It was done out of a courtesy to those members and any new comers to both Boston & MEPA who do not wish to know the title right now. So now you see why Strawbary had the title edited.

Hope I can shed some light on this situation.

8. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002

For the record, I may not spend 8 hours a day on the boards however I do check my Pm's daily. If there is a specific request that was made that took WEEKS to fill Im curious to know. Everyone knows how to contact me via PM or email. Those are the proper ways to file a request.

Also Last time I checked flaming was against the TOS......So I think everyone needs to tone it down in here.

9. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    The simple fact of the matter is the title of the movie IS NOT a spoiler.Anyone that thinks the title is a spoiler is a moron.

I'm not going to argue about it anymore.I'm done posting on the FanForce boards.The idiots they have running it just aren't worth dealing with.I'll stick to the JC.

10. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Linda, I hope you don't mind if I repost something you said in the CR forum applicable to this very topic (feel free to remove the quote if it's inappropriate):

Of course, as a fanforce chapter, you have the right to make your own spoiler policy that is tougher than the JC policy if you wish. Your members will have to follow not only the rules of the boards, but also those of your individual chapter.

You're saying that we have a right to our own spoiler policy, which can range from the JC policy to something even stricter. What you're not saying is that we are required to abide by anything stricter than the JC policy. That is OUR chosen spoiler policy. As a group, we feel that TFN's restrictions are completely appropriate and adequate for our forum. That means our definition of a spoiler is consistent with TFN. If we as a group are entitled to have this as our policy, then does it matter if someone complains about something that isn't considered a spoiler under this policy? For example, this thread used to have "Revenge of the Sith" in the title. Under our FanForce's spoiler policy, that is not a spoiler. Say that title were still there...if someone complains, will it still be removed? This is a point I'm very unclear on. If the answer is yes, it would still be removed, then may I ask what the point is of saying we can have our own spoiler policy when stricter policy will be imposed on us anyway?

There are lots of things that bother me about this situation:

1. The "policy" of not having anything Episode III related in thread titles and changing thread titles that do is totally new to all of us. This is found nowhere in the CR forum (even with the new spoiler sensitivity topic today) or in FanForce Comms. If this is some general rule that overrides a FanForce's individual spoiler policy, then we really should have known about it before now.

2. The title of this thread was changed without even contacting me first. It has not been made clear that it was changed because someone complained. Sure, there have been complaints, but was it about our forum specifically? It has been said that only members of our group can complain about it and cause such a change. As much as we appreciate the work of all the RSAs and GSAs, no one is going to be more familiar with the membership of this group than us. In order to make sure that it's actually a member of the group who's complaining to you about our forum, I would appreciate being contacted in the future before any action is taken.

3. It has been said that if there is a complaint about a thread title, the thread will be altered to include "possible spoilers" as policy. If our FanForce spoiler policy is to hold any ground at all, we need to be consistent in what constitutes a spoiler. As ridiculous as I find it, I understand that some people consider the title a spoiler. But to label a thread such as this one with "possible spoilers" in the title is very misleading and might actually lead to more people being spoiled. I don't want people to think that just because it says "possible spoilers" in the title of the thread that it's ok to discuss what we as a group define as spoilers there. We have a separate thread for that, and the understanding of the purpose of that is weakened when "spoilers" is thrown around for the smallest stuff and in a manner inconsistent with our group spoiler policy. I have a serious problem with this.

As much as I appreciate your attempts to clarify Linda and strawbary, we're still way confused and frustrated over here, obviously. But you have to understand why we're upset. It's always been understood here that we have to follow the TFN spoiler policy, and while we're aware that we could impose stricter regulations on Episode III discussion, it is our decision as a group that the TFN policy is perfectly adequate. We've also been under the impression that this decision was indeed ours to make, and Linda, what you said in the CR forum seems to validate that. So please forgive us when we get a little upset

11. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    And I still don't understand, as FanForce mods, how you could possibly treat the title of the next Star Wars movie as a spoiler after it's been officially announced. Like Scott said, unless you're a "shut-in", unless you live under a rock, unless you're a hermit, you are not going to be able to avoid the title no matter how much you want to. Someone that sensitive to spoilers has no business being on these message boards. Not when the title is being freely used in icons and not when there are TFN headlines at the bottom of this screen. If they don't want to risk being exposed to the title, they shouldn't be here, they shouldn't watch the news or read the papers. To ask the mods to cater to this sort of spoiler-free request is crossing a line of sensibility, in my humble opinion.

EXACTLY.

I would request, as it has been already, that responses to my questions and concerns not be sent via PM, but posted here, so everyone can make sense of these issues. We all deserve to know what exactly is going on here. Until this matter is settled, we're not going to be able to get this thread back on topic anyway.

If the matter isn't settled soon, I think it should be brought to FanForce Comms, so that everyone in the various FanForces is aware of what's going on.

12. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
    Very well written swc14. :)

I'd like to see this discussed in the FF Comms also.

13. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    ok, Im going to try to address the concerns thus far:

There was a thread in which the title contains the new EP3 title. We have already discussed whats "spoiler" and "non-spolier" in this forum. We know the title itself is NOT a spoiler and does not reveal anything in itself. Now I even know that this is on CNN , SW.com etc. However, in respect to others,part of my job as RSA is to review all complaints. In the TOS it does state:

Also, as a general guideline, all users here should respect one another's opinions and beliefs.

My edit took out the title in the thread. It was not done to be malicious or intended to step on anyones toes. Quite the contrary. Since the edit I have already apologised for the confusion and have even re-edited the thread title to reflect the CR's wishes.

Now You state you have a spoiler policy in place. Which is fine . However, up until this edit it was not publicly known nor was it posted. I have since then requested a policy via PM from your CR to make it known to prevent any further confusion. I felt we were both in agreement on this. I have since received this policy.

I do not have a problem with redirecting all thread title complaints to the CR in the future. Unless it is something trolling, violates the TOS etc.

I thought we were in agreement on this. I've appoligized once, and am doing so again, but this dicussion continues to go in circles, and is only getting nastier. I didn't think the edit was hurting anyone, but was helping people that requested my assistance.

I hope this clarifies things a bit more. I suggest that we get this thread back on topic.

14. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I thought we were in agreement on this. I've appoligized once, and am doing so again, but this dicussion continues to go in circles, and is only getting nastier. I didn't think the edit was hurting anyone, but was helping people that requested my assistance.

If we were in agreement on this I wouldn't keep posting a million questions. Yes, I'm happy with our thread title right now, but I need to understand exactly what the rules are so that we never run into this problem again. I'm hardly discussing in circles. I asked very specific questions and noted very specific concerns in my last post. I wasn't nasty about it either. Let me start from the beginning. You posted:

Due to the fact that many have complained about people posting the EP3 title in various thread titles we have edited them out and have put them as spoilers. Even though its LFL released material some people still do not venture into the EP3 forums and like to remain spoiler free.

This post implied that it's a general policy to edit thread titles containing Episode III information and adding a spoiler warning, whether or not the information is actually spoiler or non-spoiler, regardless of where the complaints are received. Regardless of the individual chapter's spoiler policy. Even if that's not what you meant, do you see why we had a problem with it? You weren't very specific and we were becoming extremely confused and frustrated. When we went to other forums to check out their threads, it didn't appear that we were being treated the same as everyone else, so it's perfectly understandable that it felt like we were being subjected to a double standard.

Then you posted these things:

For one, I dont make the rules I only enforce them and as I have stated many times I usually leaves the forums alone unless someone has a complaint.

If I hadnt received any complaints against the thread I would have left well alone.

I can tell you that in 4 other forums I have had complaints about the title.

More than one of us has asked, more than once as well, whether or not you actually received a single complaint about this specific thread. We're not asking for names. If you did receive a complaint about our thread, you didn't attempt to verify that it came from a Boston Rebels member. You also didn't attempt to verify whether or not we as a chapter had our own spoiler policy. I wasn't aware that it would automatically be assumed that if we didn't have a posted policy that it would be ok to enforce a stricter than TFN policy here by making edits to our thread titles. I am well aware of the clause in the TOS about respecting everyone's beliefs and opinions, but you can only take that so far.

Let me give you an example to make sure I understand the rules correctly. Say starwars.com announces a new cast member for Episode III and one of our members makes a new thread about it. In the thread title it states who the new cast member is. To some, this is more than they would like to know about Episode III, but the posting is perfectly compliant with our chapter's spoiler policy. Would you edit the title at all, with or without a complaint?

The answer I'm looking for is "no", because now that you know what our spoiler policy is, our rules should be respected over the complaints of other users. Now, if you received complaints from over half of Boston's current membership, then I can understand changing the thread title, but I seriously doubt that's ever going to occur.

You didn't at all respond to point #1 in my last post. A big part of the problem in this thread is lack of prior information about how a situation like this is to be handled. Nowhere in the CR forum or in FF Comms is there a thread with rules about how Episode III info will be treated. How chapter spoiler policies work. How and when edits will occur, and whose complaints will actually affect the change of a thread title. This is important stuff, and if we knew any of it ahead of time things would not have escalated to quite this level. I

15. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    i know i don't post here often but here goes. it's short really.

why is the title a spoiler and complaints about knowing the title are met with this sort of action, but it's okay for TFN to host and let board members use icons of characters that i had no idea were appearing in the film until i saw the icons? wouldn't those be spoilers as well? and when i complained, i got a very cut-and-paste response, might i add.

i used to respect TFN's spoiler policy..........

so that's it. i'm very very spoiler free ... but i have no problem with knowing the title..

16. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I cant believe I'm actually saying this, but.. I agree with Scott also.

What do you mean by that? I think I always make a lot of sense.At least to those with above average intelligence......oh......sorry Roy.

Just noticed this, so sorry for the late reply.

I didnt claim you didnt make sense and I didnt attack your intelligence. I was merelt staing the fact that the 2 of us havent seen eye to eye on alot of things lately. There was no need for that flame!

Anyway, back on topic...

The question still remains, was it a rebel who complained, or someone from outside the group? If its from outside the group, they have no business asking for a thread title to be changed.

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I just read over this quickly are (Linda and Vicky) saying that the title of Episode III is a spoiler? If so, how could that be possible since it has been officially released by LFL?

If not then why is this even going on? If the title is not a spoiler why the fuss?

Also I'd like to add if the title is being removed for the uber-spoiler free people that's a load of crap. You can't cater to everyone, if some people are that worried about knowing the title of the film I hope they are prepared to lock themsleves in a hole for the next year...

18. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Technically, No. They said it themselves that its not a spoiler. but that someone complained that they were spoiler free and the title to them was.So to try and be fair to spoiler free folk, the title was edited.

19. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    shut the edit feature off again I see.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    So to try and be fair to spoiler free folk, the title was edited.

That's pretty idiotic if you ask me....Like I said you can't cater to everyone.

21. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Yeah, you pretty much nailed it.

22. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I can't believe this all. Its absurd. Its not a spoiler. End of story.

BTW, why has Ryno (Scott) been banned? just curious for an explanation?

23. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    BTW, why has Ryno (Scott) been banned? just curious for an explanation?
    I could be wrong, but I thought that he just decided not to post in the Fanforce forums anymore because he had said in his last post that...
    I'm done posting on the FanForce boards.The idiots they have running it just aren't worth dealing with.I'll stick to the JC.

24. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Scott has indeed been banned, as has Tony Darth Dowe.

25. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I could be wrong, but I thought that he just decided not to post in the Fanforce forums anymore because he had said in his last post that...

People do change their minds. There is nothing wrong with doing so.

Are we done with this? We have already lost two people due to this 'discussion'. (Ryno, Darth Dowe). How many will follow? Fair or not, the admins have come down with their decision. I am unhappy about it, but I accept it mainly because I must do so in order to be able to post here. (boards.theforce.net)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.