main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

episode IV "A New Hope"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by otah_gunga, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otah_gunga

otah_gunga Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2004
    Was it a new hope for the obi wan and Yoda Or was it a new hope for Vader/Anakin?

"At this point, Vader?s plan really, now that he knows he?s his son, is to convince him to come with him. Join the Dark Side and together they?re going to overthrow the Emperor, which is the thematic devices used through the whole movies in terms of the Sith, which is Sith Lords are usually no more than two because if there are three, then two of them will gang up on one to try to become the dominate Sith. Anakin would have been able to do it if he hadn?t been debilitated and now he?s half machine and half man, so he?s lost a lot of the power of the Force, and he?s lost a lot of his ability to be more powerful then the Emperor.

But Luke hasn?t. Luke is Vader?s hope. His motives at this point are purely evil. He simply wants to continue on what he was doing before which is get rid of the Emperor and make himself Emperor. He only sees his son as a mechanism for the ambition. His mad lust of power."
    --George Lucas

2. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I noticed that, too. It can be read a number of ways, like a lot of the other SW titles.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just a thought I had earlier today..

Each Star Wars Episode can be summed up in a single word, and that word both applies to the galaxy as a whole and to Anakin.
    Episode I-Fear. The Naboo are afraid of the TF, the TF is afraid of the Sith, the Jedi are afraid of Anakin, and Anakin's afraid for his mom.

Episode II-Anger. Obi-Wan is mad at Anakin alot in this film, Anakin is angry at the Jedi for holding him back, Nute's angry at Padme..and so on.

Episode III-Suffering. I don't think this one requires too much explanation.

Episode IV-Hope. For the galaxy as a whole and Vader as a person with the appearance of Luke.

Episode V-Renewal. A Jedi faces Vader and lives, Vader is reestablished as The Bad Guy as well as a bit of renewal of self as he acknowledges he used to be one of the good guys.

Episode VI-Redemption. The Jedi are redeemed for their past foolishness through Luke, Vader redeems himself.

Thoughts?

4. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I've always thought of Luke as being the new hope for the Republic because he has discovered his Force Powers and he can use them to diminish the Sith and the Imperials.

But like DarthyMarkyMark said, there could be many meanings for the Star Wars titles.

5. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    DarthBoba I like your break down of the flims.

6. Dagobah-jay

Dagobah-jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2003
    yeah me too..good job bobba...

7. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Luke is the new hope.

8. radgeeb

radgeeb Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2004
    I think this whole story, TPM to RotJ is Anakin's story. The rise and fall and rise again of Anakin. Luke is Vader's new hope. Sure he can also be seen as the Jedi's new hope and the Sith's new hope but deep down it is Anakin's New Hope to free him of what torments him.

9. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Anakin can't be the New Hope because the movie wouldn't be titled that if he was. I mean, every SW movie's title corresponds to something that happened in the film (The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, The Empire Strikes ?Back, Return of the Jedi). Clearly, Luke is the New Hope when Obi-Wan asks him to join him in his quest against the Empire.

10. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    DarthBoba, I like your post.
    I'd say that I'd say ep1 is fear, ep2 is anger, ep3 is hate, and then in the trilogy he is suffering.
    Hes got a lot of suffering that for a while he takes out on everyone. In Luke he feels conflict and his redemption.
    I always liked that yoda said it led to suffering, because I think you can tell that vader is suffering deep down in the OT.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Thanks everybody :D I think that's probably my best post since I came here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.