main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'm not. Read the post, it's all explained in there...

2. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    "Being the end of the Skywalker Saga"

That's how they should market this as.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  3. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    Lmao, so if you didn't like TLJ then that means you're a virgin loser? People can dislike the stuff you like without being lesser, that just means they have different tastes.

For Episode IX, it really depends on how it's received by the audience and critics. I've got my issues with JJ Abrams' creativity, but he knows how to make a crowd-pleasing movie so Episode IX will probably be received well, though Carrie Fisher's passing MAY hurt the story they were going to tell. I think Episode IX could do around 1.7 billion.

4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    If this is the marketing campaign, I will change my opinion that there's nothing to hype the audience. If they promote it as the movie to end the saga, and the marketing promises to tie all three trilogies together with one satisfying conclusion, I think that would generate huge hype. OTOH, if it is marketed as the conclusion of the Rey, Kylo and Finn trilogy, I think it starts with less intrigue than RotS and RotJ because of the nature of the story leading into those movies versus IX.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Who said there was anything wrong with being a virgin? That doesn't make you lesser, it makes you more pure. No, I kid. I was making a point about the angry nerds screaming about how TLJ ruined SW all over the internet. Obviously there are exceptions to generalizations, that's what makes them generalizations.

Yes, I agree with the commentary in your second paragraph.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    How do you triple "like" someone's opinion; or "like" someone's opinion 10 times / 100 times / or even 1000 times over. I wish I could put up more than "1" like for you Oissan for this comment.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  7. Kalmanta

Kalmanta Jedi Padawan

Jul 22, 2017
    So TLJ will be 2017‘s most profitable movie on Deadline‘s list with Beauty and the Beast in second place. The boxoffice success is really astounding so far for the Disney SW films.

vong333 likes this.
  8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Seems no matter how many times there's warnings some people feel the need to throw around insults. It seems that those that want to defend TLJ are going into Alamo mode, they just can't seem to accept the fact that the film isn't universally liked and if the ratings are anything to go by they are now in the minority even if it's a very small difference..

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually I already responded to the idea I was insulting everyone, but really didn't need to given I was clearly making a generalization, which was nothing for anyone to personalize; that only requires some reading comprehension (I was also half joking in making a point in an over the top manner, but I don't expect anyone to have a sense of humor, the comprehension part is all that matters really). I do believe those who were so vocally screaming about it were "Star Wars nerds," not the general public; you ARE talking about the biggest movie of the year, so painting it as a hated movie is laughable; it is (in large part, a generalization, understood?) hated by fans who didn't get what they wanted. Yes others hated the movie, but general audience members don't go on the internet screaming and crying about movies "raping their childhood," that would be SW fans.

What ratings are you talking about? If you are referring to the RT fan voting, then (1) that is laughable, and (2) it is you who are violating the sites rules, as that is a forbidden topic. Of the top critics, only 2 were against TLJ, and those were against TFA also. TLJ is a critically acclaimed and commercially huge movie, like it or not. So it clearly is the haters who are in the minority. Not that I care who hates it, just pointing out the facts.

There is also this today:
    http://deadline.com/2018/03/star-wars-the-last-jedi-box-office-movie-profits-1202351603/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Satipo likes this.
  10. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Please show me where I have specifically referred to RT? .............Nope you can't!!!

Stick Star Wars in front of Plan 9 from Outer Space and it would make the to 20 highest grossing movies, it's just the way of things. It's irrelevant what money it made to me, or which critics said what and I guess we're going to be inundated with all those Oscar nominations let alone actual winners? There is a clear divide and the number of dissenters cannot be ignored, bullied or minimalized. It would be ignorant of me to think that less than 49% of the audience liked the film and that is their right, but looking at other forums and especially non-Star Wars forums where people feel they can be more critical I have seen that the number of people who liked the film are in the minority.

Like I have said above, those who like the film have gone into "Alamo" mode, every dissenting voice has to be shouted down, every dissenting person has to be bullied into silence and every dissenting view has to be challenged until the dissenter leaves.

There is an old saying, agree to disagree, though i'm struggling to actually see that around here in the last 3 months.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I said "if" you were talking about RT; you don't seem very into reading comprehension. So what "ratings" were you talking about? You called my assumption wrong without providing the alleged real answer.

You do know that anecdotal bits like what you have read in forums are absolutely meaningless in the bigger picture, right? You are talking about a movie that millions all over the world have seen. You need to take a research course and then a critical thinking course if you actually believe what you say there is meaningful.

I really don't know what in the world all if this dramatic language about shouting people down and bullying is about. It's a movie, not terrorism, racially motivated cop shooting, or war. You are talking about fans, that word is short of fanatic, and like or hate TLJ, they make up a miniscule portion of those who go see the biggest movie on the planet during a year. What makes it the biggest movie is a lot of casuals and GA members liking it. It's pretty easy logic.

As far as agreeing to disagree, I'll remind you that you challenged my post originally, I'm not the one that came in with guns blazing, so maybe you should take your own advice.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Satipo likes this.
  12. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    @Lee_

I'm not the one showing their lack of intellect by calling anyone who doesn't like the film a "buck toothed virgin loser".

The fact that you cannot acknowledge that TLJ was not universally liked let alone loved is your problem, the fact that it made a mountain load of cash is irrelevant to what i'm saying. The so-called critical acclaim that started in December waned as time has gone on, so much so that the film has been ignored within the industry's most prestigious awards ceremony, that is unless you know otherwise. So will it will win Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor or Best Film?

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm not going to bother, actually.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Calm down pal. You are showing your lack of intellect by your lack of reading comprehension. Read my initial post and interpret it. I never said any of that. Anyway, this debate is going nowhere because you can't even go point/counterpoint, you keep claiming I said things that I never said. Try actually reading what is said and making a counter point instead of just reacting and making wild assumptions. When you can do that, we can have a debate or a discussion.

Satipo and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  15. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  16. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    It'll make money.

KSennia likes this.
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    vong333 likes this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    People on these boards don't want to hear this. They want to hear that TLJ sucked and it deserve to fail and fall. Numbers are weaponized to show that it was a bust compared to Jumanji and Black Panther who will be the number 3 movie domestically come the end of tonight. Episode 9 will be fine. That movie will make more than $700 million domestically and about $1.5 billion. Just a little more than TLJ, but not no $1.7 or $1.8 billion.

What Disney needs to do is re-release the 6 movie GL series in 3-D in the theaters so that our old beloved series of films can add more coin to the box office and rise up on the charts back to where they belong.

19. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Interestingly, the original Jumanji was directed by the Joe Johnston, who designed Boba Fett, while the second by Jake Kasdan, whose brother Jon and dad Lawrence have a bit if connection to Star Wars.

Especially rerelease the GL SW 3D in China.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  20. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Speaking of China.. Mulan ( 2020 ) might be the highest grossing film in China if done well..

21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So I guess you guys have heard that Paramount now have plans to pit the Jumanji sequel directly against Episode IX in December 2019.

Funny enough, it's Lawrence Kasdan's son directing it.

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Lee_ likes this.
  23. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Jumanji 2 made more money in Jan-Feb-Mar-Apr than TLJ did. It outearned Star Wars every month except opening month. Jumanji 2 has a 11.17 multiplier and TLJ has a 2.82 multiplier. Even if Jumanji 3 is more frontloaded (likely being more of a known quality now and 2 years later), Jumanji 3 will do fine.

[​IMG]

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  24. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    The lighter tone and more fast pace Episode 9 will probably make 1.7 billion. It will probably will be wall to wall action and Luke will get final moment to shine. Casual fans will love it hardcore fans will complain no matter what. The critics will be more critical this time around probably 85%-88% RT.

Doom_Buggy and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  25. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    One of his sons. Who directed Jumanji. Other one coauthored Solo.

cerealbox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.