main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    We’re going to speculate about all the different things it could be for the next year or so until we get the first teaser, only for it to be an exact copy of Black One down to the blast marks.

11-4D likes this.
  2. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    i wonder if there's gonna be multiple parrallel adventures like in TLJ or not. I expect JJ to do something more streamlined but we never know.

in TFA we basically had the Finn/Rey/Han team with Poe joining in and out.

in TLJ things were more complicated:
    Rey/Luke/(Ben)
    Finn/Rose
    Poe/Leia/Holdo

what about ep9?
    Rey/Poe/Finn/(Rose?) on the same mission all together?
    Rey/Finn team up again?
    Poe/Finn team up again?
    or Rey doing her stuff and the Resistance crew on a parrallel adventure that both meet at the end?

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  3. DarthBellikose

DarthBellikose Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2003
    So the original films 1-8 were about the Skywalker saga and that has now come to an end. Surely it's now the start of the Finn/Solo/Rey saga and what happens with the next generation of Jedi & Sith.
    1. Perhaps the First Order has splintered into different factions after Snoke's death, maybe a lot dont like Kylo's methods which were similar to his Grandfathers.
    2. Maybe the First Orders failure to defeat the Allience introduces Bounty hunters to finish the job
    3. It could be the rise to power of another faction like Black Sun or the Hutt clans who've been lurking in the shadows. It could even be that enemies need to join forces to defeat a new threat from the Unknown regions or a different galaxy.
    4. It could be that Rey's unknown parents are powerful Jedi or Sith and return after Snoke's demise to help rebuild or take over and rule the galaxy :greensaber::redsaber:
    5. Could Kylo start a Sith Academy or reform the Knights of Ren with the aim to destroy Rey and the Alliance

As much as fans etc.. complain about TFA and TLJ (which I both enjoyed) if Disney announced they werent making any further Star Wars films due to public feedback then the fans would be even less happier than they are now ;) :kylosaber:

...just a thought, could Snoke's Praetorian guards have been the original Knights of Ren???

4. edustarling

edustarling Jedi Padawan

Dec 28, 2017
    I think there will be more Skywalker stuff in ep. 9. After seeing TLJ half a dozen times, one thing bothered me: when Luke vanished, the mecanical hand vanished as well. I thought it was a bloop, but some days ago I read somewhere Rian Johnson saying that there was a debate about it on the editing room. He didn't explain, but I'm assuming that it was on purpose (not a bloop).

bottomline: somebody forgot to tell RJ that TLJ was supposed to be the middle of a trilogy, not the end of it :D

5. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    TLJ is the middle of a trilogy.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Why Luke as a hero would be on yet another heroe's journey instead of Rey is a whole other thing but I certainly would have Luke not just a Force spirit but in some kind of in-between worlds state. Clearly his mechanical arm went with him where he went so the thread is already there that he didn't simply go into the Force.

I think I've said here already that to explain why Luke in TLJ was not at all himself it's all part of Snoke's masterplan which Luke has finally been freed from. So in essence he's now back to where JJ had him set-up at the end of TFA.

This all has to somehow tie into the Anakin's legacy of being the Chosen One, the Balance of the Force and the Skywalker line's connection to all these events.

Certainly a long time jump would be welcome. Obviously connectivity between the episodes of this trilogy isn't going to happen in the normal way and I don't see anyway the galactic scale is going to be rectified at this point so best just ignore it and just state that the spark was reignited the Rebellion was reborn and there is all out war in the galaxy but the real play by Snoke has to do with the Force which brings Luke and Snoke into it at the critical phase connected to Rey and Ren.

With Rey I'd still try to make some sense of her story, origins and powers and why they connect to Ren.

I'd say that it's still possible to salvage several of the most core aspects of this trilogy so that it can still in part at least connect to I-VI.

I think it's possible that there was some semblance of a plan and that was to do a OT reboot with various in-sundry PT elements incorporated but do it in 2 movies and so basically do what amounts to a post ROTJ movie with Vader/Ren/Anakin Dark vs Luke/Rey/Anakin Light.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  7. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    Just my opinion but i dont see ep9 as the start of a new saga but rather as the end of the original SW saga. Basically we have the original events of the OT, their origins with the PT and the legacy, aftermath-closure of the ST. So im not that sure that we'll ever see Rey and other new heroes/villains again in more movies.

With Luke's ghost possibly around and with Ben Solo -who's a skywalker in all but name- i wouldnt call TLJ the end of the Skywalker saga. We're still dealing with the actions of Vader, Luke and the Empire, their consequences.

I find the before/original trilogy/after structure of having three trilogies very interesting. My gues is -and i know i could be wrong- is that there's ever some episodes 10, 11, 12 or any saga telling us the continuation of the story in the GFFA, it will take place 100, 300, 1000 years after the adventures of Rey the scavenger...

8. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the final battle should take place in a Mortis like place, possibly the "source of the dark side" which they talk about in the novels. Maybe Ben will search for this power. By having the final battle be on a place so strong in the force they could do some crazy force powers and have easy access to the force ghosts.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Vader’s castle would be a great spot to have a final battle.

10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I actually don't think we're at the start of the Finn/Solo/Rey saga. Between Solo: A Star Wars Story, Rian Johnson's Trilogy, and the series of movies the Game of Thrones guys are making plus a possible Kenobi movie I don't expect to see Rey and Co. on the silver screen for a number of years. Maybe they'll pop up on Jon Favreau's TV show but my gut tells me they won't. That is the weird thing about the ST. It's supposed to be a passing of the baton to the new cast but then we're likely not to see the new cast after the ST for possibly another ten years if ever.

As I've said before that's part of why I think Rey might be killed off in Ep. 9. They'll have Rey go out like Luke, i.e. sacrificing herself to save the day and inspiring more people in the galaxy to step up. By doing that then Rian Johnson or the Game of Thrones dudes could introduce a bunch of new stories that take place after Ep. 9 that include new Jedi and they wouldn't have to deal with the audience wondering where Rey is.

One of the reasons I wanted Rey to be Luke's kid was because I really liked the idea of Ep. 9 ending with Rey going off to look for her mother. I thought Rey would for sure survive Ep. 9 and it would be suggested that Rey's mother was still alive and Ep. 10 would be about Rey trying to track her down. It would've been a great opportunity for a strong daughter/mother story in Star Wars and it would've been a refreshing break from the Rebels vs. Space Nazi's storyline we usually get from the franchise. Heck even if Rey wasn't related to Luke it could've been cool to have a movie about Rey trying to find her parents, but nope, they killed them off screen in TLJ so that's not going to happen.

As a result there really isn't a reason to keep Rey around after Ep. 9. Daisy said that Rey isn't the real focus of the ST. She said that Rey is just a cog. I'm thinking that extends to Finn, and Poe as well. They might be nothing more than the catalyst for yet another new generation of heroes to take over in the RJ movies or the Weiss and Benioff series.

11. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe everything will deppend on what LFL has in store for Kylo. If IX ends with Ben's return and he is still alive by the end of the movie, then IMO there is no doubt at some point in time, maybe after 8-10 yeats, the Skywalker saga will be continued either with Ben or with his offspring, potentially with Rey.

If Kylo dies at the end of IX, then it will become clear LFL is no longer interested in the Skywalkers moving forward and they will still use Anakin, Luke and Leia in the coming comics, TV shows and other non-film media.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  12. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    But the idea of the SW saga being the Skywalker saga is something that took form in the early 00s, am i correct? I don't remember growing up in the late 80s/early90s with so much emphasis on the skywalker name...am i correct? Those of you guys who grew up in the 80s and saw the movies on the big screen, did you feel like it was the Skywalker show, the very DNA of the movies?

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    This is just one old fart's opinion but I don't remember the OT being referred to as the Skywalker Saga back in the day.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It started off as The Adventures of Luke Skywalker hence the Star Wars theme being Luke's theme.

I just thought of a variation on the Anakin vs Sidious story that should be the background of this ST (so that it can actually still tie-in to I-VI).

As we have seen the Force has for some reason fundamentally shifted into a Light and Dark side that seem to now have controlling intelligence's that guide and control avatars like pieces on a chess board. Ren is the rising darkness while Rey is the rising Light.

It can work out that Sidious has become some Dark side Force Wraith through Sith sorcery while Anakin's Force spirit is trying to counter-balance him.

This would explain a lot. Sidious is still manipulating multiple events and people across the galaxy without them knowing while Anakin can only counter from a weaker position through a single person in Rey.

Sidious is over-stretched between all the manipulations of Snoke, Ren, Luke etc so he can effect the wider galaxy but Anakin can only effect one person.

Though she is only one person she's also incredibly powerful. Rey needs no training because she's connected to Anakin and that is where she is really getting her knowledge of power from.

Sidious got to Ben in the first place and Anakin couldn't do anything about that so he had to find someone who was like himself to influence in the Force.

This would allow for a final showdown between Anakin and Sidious in the Force netherworld while in the physical world it's the battle between Rey and Ren.

This actually sounds like the kind of thing that JJ might do as with LOST where he had the island, Jacob and the Man in Black. Anakin is looking to pass on the mantle of the Chosen One which was supposed to be Ben but Sidious got to him. No one knew that Sidious' Sith sorcery existed in such a way that he was able to hang on to life as a phantom menace.

This would at least allow for IX and the ST to connect with a throughline from I-VI with the overarching protagonist and antagonist's final duel.

15. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, this is true. I did not have in my mind when I was a kid in the 90s that SW was the Skywalker saga. But it is true when I found there were stories written after the events of the OT that I found it logical that they followed the steps of the Big 3 offspring.

LFL could decide to revisit the post-ST timeline after a few years and they have two clear options: a) Having the story move away from the Skywalkers for good, killing Kylo in IX and having movies after that without the roman numbers and only Rey, Finn and Poe as the big characters or b) Saving Kylo in IX and continue making numbered movies after IX with a redeemed Ben Solo and his potential offspring as the main characters.

I find both scenarios pretty valid actually.

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    In Ep. 9 we’ll learn that Han had an affair with Luke’s wife and she got pregnant with Rey. The affair is was turned Luke back to the No Attachments Jedi rule and why there was tension between Han and Ben when Ben was growing up and why Ben was susceptible to the dark side and why Han and Leia broke up.

GregMcP likes this.
  17. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Sounds a little too much like Jerry Springer in space. Lol.

burg2774 likes this.
  18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I’ll take it!

19. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    THIS ^^^

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    Growing up in the late 70s and early 80s, Yes the name Skywalker has always been a key element of the story. It was heavily reinforced in the PT and to be honest appeared to be a big part of the marketing of the ST (pre-TFA release). The name Skywalker is a big part of what emotionally attaches fan (at least the fans I know) to the story. It's just as important as the Force is to TGFFA.

21. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree. If it is Rey and Kylo though, there will be need to be two battles between them in ix. As it is right now there is only so much drama you can get out of those two b/c of her power vs his. Seems after what they did in viii, more like he be fighting Hux and the first Order, long before the final battle.

22. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    At this stage to me the key part of IX will be whether or not Kylo gets redeemed and survives the movie.

I want to know if the Skywalker bloodline will continue in further adventures.

23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Same. I really don't like the idea of the Skywalker Saga ending with the old guard dead and Kylo dead or alive and evil.

It's a shame that I'm more nervous than excited about Ep. 9. I'm dreading that they'll botch Carrie Fisher's exit from the franchise. I'm worried that they're not going to give us a satisfying, meaningful backstory for Ben Solo's fall. I'm worried that Luke's appearance will be nothing more than a generic pep talk and I'm worried that Rey's main goal will be to fix Kylo. I have a bad feeling that's where we're headed though.

Darth_Bertie and Darth Smurf like this.
  24. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, it is clear by this point Ix ends with the old guard dead. Regarding Kylo, my guess is that, if he ends IX alive, he will be sort of redeemed.

I like to have a certain knowledge of what is to come. With the PT we knew what we were getting. With the ST it was more or less clear we would have a new generation Skywalker. But after IX, we don't know what we will have. For starters the name Skywalker will no longer be used by a new character. Kylo is the only one alive. The possibilities include that a) he dies and the Skywalker bloodline dies with him, b) he lives but remain the big villan for a new trilogy c) he is redeemed and becomes part of the heroes team for the next trilogy.

I believe if LFL ends up deciding for continuing the Skywalker Saga, they will pair at some point Kylo and Rey and have their offspring take the lead in the future. I could understand the saga ending with IX as George intended, but I am not sure whether my interest would be the same or not. I could see a potential Episode X with a new Solo looking character inheriting the Falcon and going to train with Ben and Rey, his parents, and starting all over again. But maybe it makes more sense to avoid repetition, world destroying weapons, fallen sons and fathers and rather close the Skywalker arc and move on to the next big thing.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Or there's a fourth option where Kylo returns to the light side and instead of fighting shoulder to shoulder with the Resistance he goes it alone against the FO and is presumed dead at the end but is actually alive and living in hiding. That's what I think is the most likely scenario.

I'm more interested in seeing Kylo redeemed and living and possibly having future movies about his kids though I hope they retire the good family vs. bad family member paradigm in those future movies.

Darth_Bertie likes this.