main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Unfortunately one of the rules is that you can't post it anywhere else before the contest.

2. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    well then, change it a little because REASONS or something.

See what happens when I try to drum up more entries???????

3. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That wouldn't be fair... [face_shame_on_you]

4. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    And you cheat at PT trivia!!!!!!

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You are fake news.

Birkendoc likes this.
  6. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Yeah but I would like JJ to think bigger than that. I'm thinking if the Force needs the Jedi to maintain the balance, then there's something fundamentally wrong with the foundations of the universe. IX could really dig deeper into the metaphysics of the Star Wars universe.

7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    @Darth Chiznuk I submitted an outline/screenplay. Hope I did it correctly.

8. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks! However I haven't really gone beyond those opening ideas and I don't really know where the story could go after that! The ending in particular is difficult - how to come up with an ending that's positive but not too predictable, make sure every major character has a satisfying conclusion, and make the whole thing feel 'big' enough and that what is achieved at the end is something worthwhile.

Had another thought about the Knights of Ren though - their absence from TFA could be explained by saying that they'd been sent off on a mission by Kylo (the events of TFA and TLJ take place over only a few days). Alternatively, maybe they've split from Kylo and gone rogue, and have been off doing their own thing, and they then come back to confront him.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If Kylo turns on Hux a Hux versus Kylo battle wouldn’t be much of a showdown since Hux isn’t Force sensitive so I’m guessing Hux will have some sort of big ol destructive machine or ship that Kylo will try to stop.

In fact I could see Hux running away from his showdown with Kylo but Hux will have put his machine into action. Kylo will be forced to pick between going after Hux or stopping the Not Death Star. Kylo decides to focus on stopping the Not Death Star and has his redemption moment.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  10. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    What if the soul of Snoke inhabits Hux and Hux/Snoke turns into a BA dark side killing machine?

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Then the LF film story crew has to make some acrobatics to let this happen in a feasible way

12. kessel-kid

kessel-kid Jedi Master

May 25, 2002
    I agree with the gap in time. My guess is the IX script will feature an event in the 1st act which inspires another Resistance 'rallying cry' across the galaxy. A small gathering of planets, and star systems will finally unite, and bring their 'less-than-adequate, but will-have-to-do' fleets, and armies to a final showdown. The galaxy united, the Resistance Reborn. Finn, Rey, and Poe will be together for the first act of the film—like ROTJ.

2nd act could very well feature Yoda, and Luke appearing to Rey, instructing her path, and finally revealing her "place in all this." Who else is going to do it?!

In the final act, I would guess Finn will be on another infiltration mission. Poe will be seated as the General of the resistance, calling all of the shots. Chewie pilots the Falcon! And Rey meets Kylo one last time. After a lengthy saber duel, he saves her life in a dramatic finale, before dying himself.

Pretty simple outline, and mostly predictable, but also, probably, very likely? The gems will be in the details, if JJ had enough time to think of details...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  13. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Looking at something like IW you get the sense of the HUGE stakes. That is something that JJ will have to contend with for IX. What are the stakes? Kylo is a weak leader who has already been clobbered by Rey and the FO seems unstable now. You almost NEED two movies to round this whole thing out. You need to show the FO become more powerful at Kylo's healm and make Kylo into someone even more powerful than Snoke. Meanwhile, have the resistance on the verge of complete collapse. Then follow it up with the final defeat. I guess you CAN do that in one movie but it would seem as though they'd have to rush it.

14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you all think there's any way Ep. 9 doesn't end with an army popping up out of nowhere to help the rebels and/or Rey using some sort of heretofore unknown Force trick to save the day?

I can't help but think earlier in the film we'll be introduced to some group of people that the rebels want help from and that group will refuse to get involved but then right when the rebels are about crumble in Act III bum ba bum! the group that refused to help from before brings the cavalry. Super cliche, I know but that's my guess. The rebels will have a three tiered approach to defeating the First Order: 1) the surprise cavalry I just mentioned, 2) Kylo turning on the First Order, 3) Rey's super duper Force trick that helps save the day.

Speaking of Rey's superduper Force trick I know we're all expecting Rey to rebuild the Skywalker lightsaber, and a lot of people have speculated that it'll be a double sided lightsaber, but maybe there's something more special in store for the Skywalker saber? I wouldn't be surprised if she makes a modification to it or uses the Force in conjunction with the newfangled lightsaber to activate the new superduper Force trick.

Also I can't say exactly how this will be presented but maybe Rey will use the Force/lightsaber to attack the dark side of the Force itself? Practically speaking this'll probably be Rey holding her lightsaber up into the air and then some sort of powerful light force will explode out of it effecting everything around her, (and maybe everything in the galaxy).

Or and I'm not sure how much I like this idea and this is a corny comparison but what if in Ep. 9 we saw something similar to the ghost containment explosion in the original Ghostbusters, only instead of an explosion of ghosts reeking havoc on the streets of New York you have the manifestation of the dark side attacking the galaxy? Or if you don't like that comparison, think the Raiders of the Lost ending. (You know you want to see Hux's head melted down!) So maybe you have dark Force demons attacking and Rey and possibly Kylo fighting them back. I suppose if they went in that direction and they really wanted to blow the roof off they could also have Luke and possibly other Ghost Jedi battling the dark Force demons. Like I said I don't know that I like this idea. Just trying to think of something different they could do.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  15. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I mean, a fleet of ships led by Lando showing up in the third act battle from some planet in the outer rim that he's like the Steve Jobs/Elon Musk of would be perfect. Maybe after hearing about Starkiller and Crait, he begins funding the construction/purchase of a new fleet to help the rebels...it just took him some time to do so, understandably.

Maybe even a Wedge cameo? Could be recast, but name-calling Wedge when the pilots all sign in would be cool...

Just have Poe name drop Lando and his mining operation on said planet in Act 1, then he turns up unexpectedly at the end with reinforcements. Just need Billy D for 3-4 quick scenes from his command ship at the end. A couple lines of a cameo and it would be golden.

I feel like this "deus ex machina" is actually needed to take care of the space battle part of the climax whereas of course Rey and Finn and the other established rebels need to take care of the land battle and Kylo all on their own.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    ROTJ followed up on TWO cliff hangers: Han in carbonite and whether Vader was truly Luke's dad.
    ROTS promised the ultimate showdown between Anakin and Obi-Wan on the lava planet we heard about 22 years earlier PLUS the final transformation into Vader.

I worry about Episode IX not having any real material to follow up. No cliffhangers, no massive build up, not even any sense that the enemy is invincible as Rey already defeated Kylo Ren once pretty decisively.

When you look at the build up to Infinity War and likewise now Avengers 4, once has to scratch their head and ask what Episode IX has to offer in terms of heavy anticipation OTHER than just being the last film. TFA had Han, Chewie, and Leia and TLJ had Luke. We don't even have the OT3 anymore. We will have to be heavily teased for IX otherwise the excitement and anticipation will fall flat.

MS1 likes this.
  17. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    I ended up writing an article on how I think IX can end, eliminate all the issues with the entire ST, and give us a satisfying conclusion.

In a nutshell, all of [what has happened in the entire Sequel Trilogy and before] is wrong — Ben Solo turning to the dark side, the rise of the First Order, the self-imposed exile of Luke, the breakup of Han and Leia, the destruction of Hosnian Prime, the very existence of the Resistance and collapse of the Republic. This is a “Yesterday’s Enterprise” level of wrongness that the Star Wars galaxy has found itself in.

The ending of Episode IX will be centered around how all of that is fixed, and the aftermath.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I take it you didn't like TFA or TLJ, then?

19. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    I like TFA, didn't like TLJ. But I've noticed they kept hyping up how they wanted to introduce new characters. From a marketer's perspective, the stories themselves are just a means to and end, the characters and the merchandising they can do with them are the biggest thing. With this move they would have almost an unlimited amount of never-ending stories about Rey, Ben Solo, Poe, Finn, Phasma, et al to tell. Not to mention the OT3. And that means more merchandising.

Also, when I say "issues," i'm focusing on the issues plaguing the galaxy. Not necessarily issues in the story (although it ends up solving those too).

Krueger likes this.
  20. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

Interestingly, Mark refers to Luke as the last Skywalker.

Not that we did not know about it, but it is interesting.

MS1 and panki like this.
  21. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    I completely agree. I honestly do not see what great secrets, revelations, or plotline breakthroughs which will seem truly significant in Ep IX. From what I can gather, the Resistance has been all but defeated. But even more important, there is no true villain whose defeat will carry any kind of emotional weight with me as a viewer. Ever since he was essentially defeated in a light saber fight by somebody who had never received a single day of Jedi training Kylo Ren has carried no kind of weight as a villain with me. I would just see his defeat as inevitable. So I assumed Snoke would be the real villain for the rest of the series. Since he's gone that leaves the only other villain with any kind of significance to be General Hux - and his defeat would not carry any kind of emotional significance to me, more like the death of Grand Moff Tarkin.

It seems to me like the whole story arc has painted itself into a corner in which the viewers do not have any true storylines to be excited about. Luke & Han are already gone. Leia's inevitable death obviously won't be done with an greatly emotional scene since Carrie Fiscer won't be there. I wouldn't even be surprised if it's simply brushed aside with a simple sentence on the opening crawl.

So what should I have to look forward to going into Ep IX ? I'm not excited at all.

22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I think that's incredibly wishful thinking. We've been hoping for more indepth analysis of the Star Wars universe for years now. Outside of some episodes of rebels/clone wars, and the books, it's not going to happen. There's no interest in changing Star Wars into a complex and meaningful franchise in the films. They're light, fluffy, fun adventure films. They have yet to become much more than that. Even hoping for a deep dive into the metaphysics seems to be missing what Star Wars has gone for since '77.

23. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    This happens with alot of great TV shows and I think it has finally happened with SW for many of us now. Alot of great shows somewhere along the line start repeating themselves, but throw in a twist here and a twist there just to make it seem fresh. But at some point it just starts to get old and the viewer loses that expectations for the next season.

I can say that 'Homeland' has finally hit that point for me as I was disappointed in this season, and it has been building to this point for a few seasons. I don't want to give anything away in case anyone here wants to binge the show (I still recommend it), but the show continues to put the main character in new situatons, but it just never feels fresh because they are doing roughly the same things when you take a step back. I used to be in a 'can't wait' mode every year anticipating the next season of 'Homeland', but now I am at the point where I just don't really care about Season 8 next year (which will be it's last season). The only reason I will probably still watch it is because I've invested 7 seasons and I feel I'm obliged to see the ending.

That is sort of the way I feel about Episode 9, as I just don't think there is anything in the movie that will knock my socks off because we've been there done that. If Kylo Ren is redeemed, will I care because they did that with Vader already? If Rey vs Kylo have this huge lightsaber fight to end all lightsaber fights, will I care because Anakin and Obiwan did the same in Episode3. If the Resistance fights the First Order, and wins the battle, will I really care after they did the same in Episode 6? And of course there are always a possible twist they could throw at us as maybe Rey is related to someone special? Maybe Snoke isn't dead? Phasma comes back again? All of that will feel like a cheat and it will look like they are playing to the fans after the backlash of TLJ.

I honestly can't think of anything that moves the needle with me because the Saga has gotten tired, just like 'Homeland' for me. It happens to most TV and Movie franchises if they don't know when to stop, as they go to the well too many times. The only thing that can somewhat salvage the movie/trilogy for me is if JJ can craft a great/emotional ending shot that truly ends the Saga: Maybe Rey looking out at her new Jedi Students while the Falcon pulls away with Chewy, Poe, Finn, Rose and BB8, and the Force Ghost of Luke/Leia appear and Rey gives them a nod that the Galaxy is in good hands. That way you can cover all bases at the end showing the Jedi, The Falcon, The new Resistance, and The Skywalkers, because those 4 things are what SW is to me. But I have a suspicion that JJ will leave things open at the end for future movies, and we won't get that perfect closure.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  24. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree that the films are no place for direct, "in your face" metaphysics. But SW is mythology for the modern era. And myths are allegorical stories dealing with philosophical and spiritual concepts. IX can be a roller-coaster ride for the kids, but also contain deeper ideas for the adults.

25. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    The sad part is that it didn't have to be this way. Besides VI basically being a copy of Ep IV in story, it still could have been a story which could have evolved into something which had an original (and interesting) storyline. Granted, it is much more original after VII and not just another copy of ESB. But just like I said in my previous post, there really isn't a great deal for me to be excited about with this storyline. It's not just a matter of repeating a story. The villain(s) do not mean a lot to me. The Resistance is all but defeated. Kylo Ren has already been defeated by somebody who wasn't given one day of Jedi training. Snoke is gone. Luke & Han are already gone. Leia's death won't have any kind of amazing scene since Carrie Fischer is gone. If the First Order is defeated at this point it will only make it seem extremely weak since the Resistance has already been all but defeated.

I don't think I have anything to be excited about.