main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Part of me is glad we'll get closure on the Skywalker Saga. If they kept on doing every Skywalker generation Disney would keep on making Skywalker Saga movies until the end of time and we'd never truly see the end.

2. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope they bring back unused concepts from TFA like:
    One of Luke's students captured and tortured by the First Order -
    [​IMG]

And of course Anakin's force ghost -
    [​IMG]

3. AveKender

AveKender Jedi Padawan

Mar 27, 2017
    I just realized that Luke is the only character in this saga whose birth and death have both been captured on-screen.

4. The Last Cookiemonster

The Last Cookiemonster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Technically some of the clones we saw in incubators might have been some of the ones we saw die at some stage. ;)

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    We didn't see any of the clones emerge from their incubators. So technically did we see their birth captured on-screen? [face_dancing]

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Well we’re getting a non-Skywalker trilogy from RJ, and series of movies from the Game of Thrones dudes, a live action TV show not focused on the Skywalker’s and we’ve had two non-Skywalker focused anthology films with more to come. All that’s to say that even if they did make more movies with the Skywalker’s Disney clearly is interested in making a lot of movies without them so it all balances out.

7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Let's say Rey ends up being a Skywalker. They can have excellent closure to this trilogy and make it a fitting closure to the entire 9-part saga and still have Rey continue onward as a Skywalker. They can let it rest at that. It was the way it would have been had they never made the ST anyway. The Skywalkers would have gone on and lived their lives and the family name would not be tarnished. Then, focus for the next 10-15 years can be on the alleged non-Skywalker stories. Then they have that option of rekindling the Skywalker family story later if they so choose.

End the Skywalker family now and you never have that option again. Sure, they can dig up a child of Kylo that he never knew he had but BOY would that feel forced and retconned as hell.

The option should be there. Whether it is Rey (presumably) or Kylo (yes, he's a Skywalker but to continue any story with him is rather futile at this point), the door shouldn't be closed since the Skywalker family has been so integral. There is no guarantee at all that people will ever like the new stories from GOT folks and Rian (which I still think may be questionable at this point). So, you have the go-to Skywalker stories of the future, even IF only through comics, books, or TV shows. The Skywalker family story is, has been, and likely will ALWAYS have the draw and allure needed. Rekindling will elicit a "I thought this family was dead" response while having the family continue would not.

8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. It would be kinda crazy if they killed off all the Skywalker’s and put all their eggs in one non-Skywalker basket with RJ’s trilogy and the other movie’s and then audiences didn’t show up to those movies in the number’s they want. What would they do? Retconning a Kylo baby would be a desperate move people would see through and might avoid those films.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    If it happens in story going forward is it Retconning? Why can't Kylo Ren have children? Can it end like Revenge of the Sith, with new born babies? Then in ten years bring back the ST actors with new actors in their 20s playing the last Skywalker and friends. And the ST actors will all play ten years older than they are.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    So just rehash the ST in ten years?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yet in their minds by whatever reasoning despite all the tons of things they can and will do without Skywalkers in their estimation it seems none of this is possible unless they take out the Skywalkers in the movies.

So they want to signpost to everyone:

"Hey guys! You know that family that you can't stand called the Skywalkers? Yeah don't worry they won't be in anything else and to prove that we'll really run 'em over and out in this new trilogy of ours!"

This is the same barmy thinking that it's some revelation that Rey is a powerful Force user/Jedi even though she isn't a Skywalker.

I mean it's clearly impossible as everyone of power ever has been a Skywalker right?

I don't follow what you mean by that. The point is if properly handled the ST could have been it's own thing while fitting into the overall Skywalker saga. After it's done they you wait 10-15 years or so before doing X-XII and so on.

So you keep that special. Instead with the overt reboot/reset they've made a quick buck but diminished the property overall.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Star Wars: Episode IX concept: Sam Witwer and Keri Russell as the last Knights of Ren, who eventually turn on Kylo Ren and join Hux who wants to be the Supreme Leader of the First Order. This leading to a 2 v 2 lightsaber duel between Kylo/Rey and the former Knights of Ren.

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Eh I think it’s possible that Rey will be a Skywalker after all but post-Episode 9 we’ll see a bunch of non-Skywalker movies for a number of years and then they’ll give us another Rey Skywalker film.

14. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I think some people are misunderstanding @The Regular Mustache and I. We aren't saying they should make Episodes 10-12 in a couple of years and create ridiculous burn out. We ( I think it's both of us) are saying that it's a good idea for Disney and LF to keep the door open for future films way down the road to continue the Skywalker family since that family's stories have been the flesh and blood of SW and financial success. Doing so too soon after IX would be overkill but waiting 10-15 years may end up being very lucrative once again. Disney has a LONG-TERM plan with SW and the spin-offs and new trilogies are no guaranteed success. Creating new Skywalker films eventually automatically create an emotional and familiar tie-in (of course we would be talking about the GRANDCHILDREN of the OT fans at that point lol).

I have personal reasons for wanting Rey to be a Skywalker. But for business reasons, it's good for them to make SOMEBODY a Skywalker. A child of Kylo's that was presumably conceived prior to TFA (he is certainly WAY too unstable to find a girl and have a kid at this point), being found by Rey and then being brought into the Jedi order after Kylo's death at the end of IX is actually a pretty decent story I might add BUT it complicates the potential story in IX so much that it's almost too much to accomplish. I'd be all for that but the exposition (still the question-WHO is the mother) needed is just insane because nothing alluded to Kylo having a relationship (and Disney is not about to introduce one-night-stands in its films).

BUT if done well, I can respect that storyline. Heck, maybe Broom Boy is Kylo's son. But again, you run into the same exact problem as you do if Rey is Luke's daughter. Who is the mother? Why did daddy apparently not seem to know about the child? Etc. Would have been better to allude to this earlier. And yeah, it pretty much spins the SW story back to the beginning again.

I must say, though, that having Kylo with a mystery child is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than having a child conceived from Kylo and Rey. That would be the death sentence to the SW franchise in my opinion.

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Doesn't the backlash against TLJ and the low box office for Solo prove rehash is really what everyone actually wants. I'm half kidding. Future movies don't have to be a rehash. It's just a way to keep the descendants of Anakin in these stories. Of course ending that all together would not be rehashing. Either way it's not retconning.

16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    The point of keeping the Skywalkers is not to rehash. You can have stories that feature them without rehashing. Besides, we're talking 10-15 years not the immediate future. Once again we ARE getting stories (well supposedly if they stay on schedule) about non-Skywalkers. The problem is that without any familiarity or tie-in, there's little guarantee that people will like them. There's little guarantee of that no matter what, but the trend of original stories is pretty poor right now.

And quite honestly, I am not so sure if the Rian Johnson trilogy is going to happen. There's been SO much negativity toward TLJ, especially now in the light of the Solo "failure" (mostly blame or partial blame) that Rian may be seen as a bad omen for Disney and LF. And TWO trilogies at the same time? Talking about overkill!

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly.

burg2774 likes this.
  18. Dark Mota

Dark Mota Jedi Master

Nov 9, 2012
    The Skywalker saga will never end because Kylo and Luke would became the son and the father with rey as the daughter...that will bring balance to the force for “ a thousand generation “... so Disney can bring back them wherever they want for history porpoises: “Who are U?” “ I was once Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight”

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

19. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    They can bring them back for history dolphins too. Sorry that was mean. Nevermind me!

christophero30 likes this.
  20. Dark Mota

Dark Mota Jedi Master

Nov 9, 2012
    Purpose...purpose...I pull a Trump!!! ****

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

jedijax and christophero30 like this.
  21. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    If Rey isn't a Skywalker, there is nothing telling me that Luke couldn't have had a child with someone before the Kylo turn.

Darth Caliban and christophero30 like this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    The rathtar's from TFA and that crazy space monster from Solo has me wondering if we'll see something like that in Ep. 9. Maybe not literally those exact types of monsters but some sort of creature or swarm of feral creatures that the Resistance could use to attack the First Order. I'm not saying the the Resistance would be controlling these creatures but maybe they could herd them into a specific area and then the Resistance would lure the First Order into that area and then unleash the creatures who would tear the FO to shreds.

23. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    True, but that's a little tardy to the party in storytelling.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  24. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah I feel like they should've laid the groundwork for that story already and not leave it for the last film. What would be the point of not making Rey Luke's kid but then revealing at the eleventh hour that Luke does have a kid that we've never seen or heard of before?

godisawesome likes this.
  25. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    It also disrupts what story they have. Revealing another Skywalker kid pulls the rug out from under both Kylo (the Skywalker kid who already has a story) and Rey (who is the main character in this trilogy and suddenly gets overshadowed). Not a good deal!