main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jason Ward said on his podcast that he’s heard the movie picks up two years after TLJ.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Two years? I thought it might only be one. Any other details?

3. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    He said that the Resistance show was impacted by the switch from Trevorrow to Abrams and that’s how he found out. He’s not a hundred percent certain though.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I could get down on some two...

I'm still hoping for three or more, but I could see two...

5. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Ward also said that he’s heard there’s a major scene in a bar involving Finn and Poe. The scene is elaborate and could take up a lot of shooting for the month of August.

6. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    One concept I have for 9 is of a space battle where the good guys win by throwing a giant spaceship into a star, causing a supernova or something like that, destroying the entire system and the FO

AusStig likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m about half way through the podcast. The rumor of Keri Russell’s character being romantically linked to Poe doesn’t seem that hard to imagine. It might not be a full on romance but I could see the two of them having a flirtation at the very least.

All their speculation on the podcast about L3 playing a role in Ep. 9 is completely bananas to me. No way is that going to happen. No way.

I do wonder if Lando will fly the Falcon. The idea of an 81 year old man flying the Falcon feels weird to me. It might look silly. That said who will fly the Falcon? I’m sure Rey will fly it in the first half but I’m guessing she’ll be busy doing other stuff for the second or third act. Is Chewie going to fly it, um, solo again? Poe flying it also doesn’t seem right.

Speaking of ships considering that the Resistance has had their forces drastically reduced that leaves the door open to introduce new vehicles instead of dragging out the x-wings again. I’m hoping Lando hooks the Resistance up with a new type of fleet.

11-4D and christophero30 like this.
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Maybe Chewie taught that Porg to fly the Falcon.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  9. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Jason Ward also says he believes Keri Russell is playing Poe Dameron’s love interest.

AusStig and christophero30 like this.
  10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    There goes my Leia flashback theory.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, if someone passes their driving test at 18 or so, I'm pretty sure that, providing everything with their health is okay, they are still able to drive a car at 81. Seeing as piloting ships in the SW galaxy seems to follow the same principle as being able to drive a car, I don't think it will be any different. If Rey doesn't get the Falcon (I think she will), I can actually see Chewie giving it back to Lando when all is said and done.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  12. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I want that!

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    While Lando could technically still fly the Falcon the optics of it might look kinda hokey...but maybe I’m wrong.

14. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    So long as he has his cape from ESB i'm good with it.:p

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    TBQH, I have a hard time trusting Ward's sources any more, after TLJ.

Poe's love interest? Unless his love interest also has a very cool role other than that, it sounds pretty boring.

16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Here's how I saw Lando's role fit into Leia's demise.

1. Film opens with Leia on a giant cruiser going to recruit allies from around the galaxy. We don't see her except maybe from the back (like the first shot in TLJ).
    2. The ship falls under attack while the crew desperately tries to send out Leia's message (opposite of ANH where she receives and hides it).
    3. The ship is destroyed and is seen as a last ditch effort to have gotten allies. We see Leia come across in a disrupted hologram communication to Poe but then is silenced. Leia's ship is gone. It is felt around the galaxy. Kylo also senses it and goes on a rampage since he never authorized it. Hux did.
    4. Rey senses it too. This causes the rage in Kylo that makes him the most powerful dark side user that ever lived. When they meet early on, Kylo defeats Rey and almost kills her.
    5. Toward the end of the film, the Resistance is nearly decimated and is surrounded by ALL FO ships planning their "victory dance". At this point, Poe is in charge of the Resistance with Connix second in charge. Poe, having learned from Holdo, goes on an apparent suicide mission (we are led to believe he dies but he does not).
    5. Then at the last minute, the flailing Resistance gets a message from an unfamiliar voice to them (but VERY familiar voice to us). Connix receives it. She tells Poe she is getting a transmission from Lando. Poe says "Lando system?" Connix says it's not a system but a man.
    6. Lando, through the communication, tells them that he got the message from an old dear friend (Leia). The message sent by her ship was received just before the ship was destroyed. Lando took it upon himself to relay the message and carry out Leia's mission and got many many systems to help.
    7. While the FO has made a ring around the few Resistance ships, scores of allied ships make an even larger perimeter around the FO's ring. All hell breaks loose for the final battle.
    8. The last straw for the FO happens when Finn and Rose return with legions of turned stormtroopers that they recruited themselves (during a mission which, THIS TIME, is actually meaningful).

17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Wait, wait, wait... Is this woman Rey's mother and at the same time Poe's girl? Will Poe's introduction to Rey in TLJ be the closest thing we get to a parentage reveal?

Rey, I am your step father...

CosmicDust likes this.
  18. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    It's funny how Rian created Rose because Finn and Poe were "boring" and now they will be together in IX. I don't know what Rian was thinking.

Poe would've been way better than Rose's rants about class and animal rights and her out of nowhere "romance" if you can even call it that.

Everyone loved Finn and Poe together in TFA but I guess like almost everything else Rian decided to not listen to any fans.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    2Cleva, FN1971 and CaptainEO like this.
  19. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Exactly, it was one of the most liked things from TFA and a lot of people were upset Poe "died" so early on. Everyone was probably also expecting them to go on an adventure in 8.

20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    If rumors are true that there is a two year time jump what is the significance of that? My guess is that two years gives the resistance enough time to build up their troop levels a bit but still not enough to easily take out the FO. In other words it gives the resistance a fighting chance but it’s still an uphill battle.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  21. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yes, to make the First Order SO dominant at that point that we have a mini Rebels/Empire kind of situation from ANH. But then you only have one movie to finish that story.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  22. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    The movie already sounds so much better than TLJ. A Finn/Poe mission and a time jump. lol

I'm guessing the time jump is partly to let the narrative breathe. It breaks the suspension of disbelief if everything happens under a short amount of time. The time jump should help pacify criticisms that Rey is a Mary Sue if she's been studying for two years and still getting a handle on her abilities, too.

I hope these leaks are true. It'll fix what imho were the worst choices in TLJ: breaking up Finn and Poe into separate subplots and the lack of a time jump, which did the most disservice to Rey and her Force abilities. The time jump is also good at making a trio dynamic feel natural because we'll be seeing a two year old friendship circle.

JediAce1 and Jo Lucas like this.
  23. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Yes they should have developed TFA characters. Poe and Finn should have gone together, implying even romantic relationship, of course not necessarily directly shown on the film but that would be true diversity and curriage and would truly put Star Wars on the forefront of things in film industry .On the other hand Admiral Ackbar should have taken control of the fleet for the last time and died as hero instead pink haired lady, which ruined Ackbar's potential and has given undeniable proof they do not honor legacy characters.
    Rose as a character is unfortunately a failure and burdeon.

Removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2018
    CosmicDust likes this.
  24. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree Rose and Holdo roles should've just gone to Ackbar and Poe, adding them in for "diversity" was pointless and hurt the film. They should've focused on just telling a good story.

Putting Poe on Canto Bight would've allowed them to flesh the Finn's story out more and not waste time on Poe's stupid mutiny plot and Poe with Finn would've been more entertaining.

Then if Ackbar was the one who sacrificed himself we actually would've felt it. In the film you see the big spectacle but you don't care that Holdo is gone, in fact her stupid actions before in the film actually make you glad that she's dead.

FN1971 likes this.
  25. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Ackbar should have survived Raddus bridge explosion and the entire fleet chase would from there on be the last Ackbar's battle in which he would be properly honored and will gone as hero, which he by all means deserved. I am overwhelmed with HISHE cartoon" re-make" in which Acbar at the end says to Hux on com-link…"General Hux do you know what this is? Hux: ?? Ackbar: ITS A TRAP, and than he rams Raddus in to a supremacy. A ship named upon great mon calamari general Raddus,ship of mon calamari design, slammed in to flagship of the First Order by another great mon calamari Admiral Ackbar...it would be epic, smybol of mon-calamari defiance.
    Rian ,where we you looking man!! People will be overwhelmed.Such spicy thing would mask other problems of the film.

While Ackbar struggling to keep fleet alive,Poe and Finn should have gone to Canto Bight, yes.There would be so many space to make this epic, with Poe and Finn growing as friends, while even BB-8's attachment to Poe could be made much deeper, BB-8 could be jealous.

Nope.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2018
    BalanceOfTheForce likes this.