main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Gai' Phó

Gai' Phó Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2018
    One theory is that Kylo never went bad. He was driven to rebel against the Jedi after almost being murdered by one (!) and killed his father for being ineffective in the war against the First Order. Ren thanks him for helping to gain Snoke’s trust, and turns a blade against his true enemy in TLJ.

As for Rey/Anakin equivalency, see the OT.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Well he did go bad. He ordered the murder of an entire village and killed his father. Anger for being ineffective or not, he killed his father. You can't make that "unbad" no matter how hard you try.

11-4D likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, except those things aren't 100%- there are tendencies, then there are individual situations. There are a whole lot of bad people that had good upbringings, and vice versa. While this is not the larger tendency, it isn't unrealistic to have a few people in a story that went the opposite direction, as there are many exceptions to rules in any given population.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think I've said this before but I could almost see a Raiders of the Lost Arc scenario in Ep. 9 where the First Order discovers some sort of dark side object that will allow them to tap into a dark side energy that they plan to unleash on the galaxy. If they go in this direction perhaps Ghost Luke could battle this dark energy?

Either way it might be cool we see Hux try to harness this dark side energy but because he's not a dark side user the powers engulf him and the surrounding First Order troops sorta like Nazis that were melted by the Arc's power in Raiders. An Arc like device could also possibly be a convenient way to have the underdog Resistance defeat the FO.

Or if Kylo were to pull a Vader and sacrifice himself to save the day I could see Kylo somehow turning the dark side object against the FO and by doing so it'll seeming kill him.

This might be a bridge too far but maybe this dark side object will pull Kylo into some sort of dark side dimension though we won't know this in Ep. 9. It'll appear that he was killed in Ep. 9 but then years later we'll learn that Kylo's alive and trapped in the dark side dimension, perhaps where's he's been tortured and then somebody will free him. For those who think Kylo should pay for his crimes maybe they'll be happy to learn that Kylo's been tortured for years and for those that want to see a redeemed Ben Solo we'll they'll get to have that chance too when he's freed from the Dark Side dimension.

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I like it. Almost like a 'Monster Squad' scenario?

Rey and others form a new Jedi team. They, and the Resistance fight off the FO, Kylo Ren, and his Knights of Ren (the "monsters"). During the movie, a dark side portal that goes to the netherworld of the Force (limbo) is opened. There's a huge battle, all the Knights get sucked in. Kylo turns back to the light, realizing his mistakes, and decides to go into the portal to close it, or keep it 'locked', almost as a penance for all his wrongs. Maybe this is where Luke shows up, from the other side of the portal, or something. Portal shuts, dark side is gone, Kylo is gone. Rey, the new Jedi team, and the Resistance win and build a better world.

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Spielberg is almost certainly past his prime as a blockbuster director, but his smaller "prestige" films continue to be fantastic. War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and The Post are all exceptional movies. He's just not really the same person who made Raiders of the Lost Ark or Jurassic Park anymore, which is why whenever he goes back to doing those movies, they underwhelm.

7. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Agree, i was mainly thinking about Adventure Spielberg, his last offerings in this genre, from Tintin to RP1 are not really exciting movies (quite afraid of the next Indy movie), his smaller films fit him much more these days. So yes we shouldn't expect a new ET, Jaws or Jurassic Park from him (but again, hmm, he's doing the next Indiana Jones so fingers crossed...)

As for Cameron...well, i'm not much of a fan of his late work since...the early 90s...and to be honest, even that, apart from his Terminator movies, Aliens & Abyss i don't find his other works anything special.

8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m sure this has been said a million times before but I think we’ll get a scene where R2 shoots Luke’s green lightsaber out of his head and Rey will stick her hand up to catch it but when she does catch it she realizes it’s not Luke’s lightsaber, it’s in reality an ancient hotdog! But despite how old it is it looks like a brand new hotdog. It’s still fresh! She’s very confused but she’s also very hungry so she eats the hotdog AND THE BUN! Then she burps and something flies out of HER head! It’s Luke’s green lightsaber! She doesn’t eat that one. Instead she fights with it. The First Order loses.

Luke02 and jedijax like this.
  9. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    If Ep9 really rips off ROTJ, we are probably going to start the movie with Rey, Finn, Rose, Poe, Chewie, Threepio, Artoo, Bee8 and possibly Leia going to an exotic planet and getting in trouble for Lando.

10. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    They've already taken a HUGE element from ROTJ (the Snoke-Kylo-Rey dynamic) and put a twist on it. I can't see JJ doing another ROTJ hack. IX will need to be fresh. Not to say that there won't be separate missions.

11. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Also, Porgs=ewoks.

Lol, JJ is in trouble.

12. Gai' Phó

May 2, 2018
    He's obviously gone to the dark side. The justification for why he did so will be one of the challenges of Episode IX to unravel. It would be a great twist if the ends are revealed to have justified the means.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  13. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    the ST has already toyed with most of the OT tropes, i dont think there's anything left to mirror/twist/copy.

droid carrying important datas...check
    young hero's journey from rags to jedi riches...check
    meeting a father figure only for him to die...check
    cantinas...check
    rescue mission inside the superweapon...check
    x wings vs superweapon...check
    getting mystical about the force on a remote planet...check
    ground battle vs ATAT...check
    alien mentor talking about the force...check
    Jedi Master and apprentice...check
    Father vs son on a bridge...check
    infiltration inside the ennemy's base...check
    dark side master vs dark side apprentice vs young jedi...check
    parentage reveal...check
    heroes getting seperated then reunited...check

This is absolutely not a criticism, but the classic beats of the OT mirrored through the ST, sometimes with different outcome and mixed with new stuff. My point is that it seems quite impossible to rehash some OT scenes and story beats now for ep IX. Kylo Ren has killed Snoke and taken over, him and Rey have a different dynamic from Vader & Luke, nobody needs to be rescued and after the starkiller base backlash we can safely assume JJ wont use the death star again....all in all i cant see how epIX could mirror ROTJ.

14. Gai' Phó

May 2, 2018
    But having a dark lord come back to the light, neutralizing an evil empire, and restoring balance to the Force have yet to be done. Also Lando.

15. The Wrens of Night

The Wrens of Night Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 14, 2017
    Would like to see Lando so rich that there actually is a Lando system.

It seems the consensus is that there has been so much infighting between Hux and Ren that the logical way forward is to have Hux go too far and do something really psychotic/genocidal that Ben Skywalker realizes is just too much and decides to rebel against; although that seems odd since he had no problem when they used Starkiller base to slaughter millions of people in TFA.

With Snoke dead, I'd be more curious in Hux going for a coup, particularly if the KoR are weakened by some sort of interaction with Rey and possible other Jedi. Could be an updated Order 66 where all FO personnel are taking orders from Hux (the military) not Ren (the Force users) and turn on him and his, forcing them to flee.

Unchecked, Hux goes on a savage conquest of the Republic, giving no quarter while sending legions to hunt down Ren and his remaining Knights. Could become sort of an X-Men 2 scenario where the good and bad are united against an even worse. Also could lead to a really remarkable scene where a beaten and broken Kylo Ren shows up at wherever Rey and her presumed Jedi students might be. Rey sees how battered and confused he is, puts a hand on his face and says "You need a teacher."

Vader's redemption - still the greatest thing in any of the movies - lasted about 3 minutes from realization to mask removal. What if Ben Skywalker's came 1-1/2 hours into a 2-1/2 hour movie and he spent the final hour on screen working with Rey, Chewie, Lando, Poe, and Finn to stop whatever Hux was up to? What if we get to see several Jedi fighting side by side for the first time since the Genonosis arena in AOTC (hopefully with much better strategy and Force use). And if they do triumph, what if Ben Skywalker tells Rey that he knows the Republic will never be able to accept him and instead decides to invoke his name sake and vanish into the Jundland Wastes to meditate - leaving behind a beacon in a familiar, faithful droid named R2D2, so that if Rey ever truly needs him, she will know where to look? And as he enters a tiny home to spend his days, he looks up at the Force Ghosts of his mother and uncle, who smile at him as the screen fades to black.

Gai' Phó likes this.
  16. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Hux isn't a big bad. He's a comedy character.

17. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    I don't think so.

INT. STAR DESTROYER CORRIDOR - DAY
    WHOOOSH! The cell door SLIDES UP. Kylo Ren exits, fierce,
    confronts GENERAL HUX (34, scary) who awaits him:

KYLO REN
    It's in a droid. A BB unit.

GENERAL HUX
    Well then. If it's on Jakku, we'll
    soon have it.

He's presented in TFA as a scary guy, that's how JJ and Kasdan conceived him. Rian turned him into a moron.

18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I think we might get a scene where we learn that Maz's eyeballs are failing her. If she doesn't get herself some new eyeballs within 48 hours she's going to be blind forever. Leia knows this and given that she herself is dying she offers to donate her eyeballs to Maz. Leia is on her deathbed. Kylo is next two her. She turns to him and says, "donating my eyeballs to Maz...pretty ballsy move, no?" And then she rolls her eyeballs. Kylo for the first time in years smiles and with that joke he returns to the light side. Then Kylo hears what sounds like two champagne bottles being uncorked. But there is no champagne. That was the sound of Leia's eyeballs popping out of her head. Then, like two tiny white Death Stars, Leia's eyes float across the galaxy and land in Maz's empty sockets. Maz blinks and rubs her new eyeballs and says, "thanks Leia. I really needed that". Iris out.

19. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm curious to see what JJ does with him now. Does he turn him back into the more threatening character that we saw in TFA, or does he continue to make him the butt of jokes. I'm really hoping for the former, especially since I suspect the rivalry between him and Kylo will come to a head in Episode 9. That rivalry will feel like a waste of time if Hux is nothing more than comedic canon fodder.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    He's basically Starscream from Transformers. That's how I've seen him the whole time. Hux will likely hurt somebody very badly in Ep. 9 and then probably die.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  21. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    He could be a threat to Kylo, like some kind of Machiavellian plotter, but I don't see that the Force would need to unite dark and light to defeat him. I hope they can do better than that.

22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I think we’ll get a scene during a big battle when Rey yells out, “underoos!” and then Broom Boy is going to fly out on his broom and take out Phasma who’s back for some reason.

burg2774 and 2Cleva like this.
  23. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I think your hot dog scenario is better :p

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  24. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Probably turn him back to the threatening figure he once was. His character is inconsistent just like the rest of the trilogy.

I think Kylo will kill him in Ep9.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I get that a lot.

Gai' Phó likes this.