main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX's Epic Duel - Who Will It Be?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by adamclark83, May 1, 2015.

1. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    There'll be no such duel... in the end everybody will hold hands and sing a song about the force by the camp fire...

2. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    The real question is who it WON'T be!

3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    R2D2 vs the animated skeleton of Boba Fett

4. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Finn vs Ren (both die as Plagueis emerges)

Luke vs Plagueis (Luke wins)

Rey vs Leia (Rey seriously wounds her own mother)

Rey vs Luke (Rey, out of control, almost kills Luke who then throws himself into...something, sacrificing himself, and Rey's crazed state leaves her. Finn climbs up some pipes, cause he survived his fall, unlike his grandfather, Mace, and he takes Rey in his arms.)

5. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm very comfortable assuming that Luke won't be in the final battle. I think this story is about the new generation just as advertised, and they're going to lean on that new talent for all of the really heavy lifting down the road.

I love the Luke Skywalker character (and Mark as Luke) - and I do expect you'll get a little taste of action out of him at some point in the series. But I don't expect him to steal the hero moment from the actual hero of this series, or heroes. All that work to have Dad fight half the battle at the end? I don't see it.

jc1138 likes this.
  6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

It'll probably be a three-way edit with:

Rey vs Kylo
    Finn and ground troops vs. First Order army
    Poe and Resistance Fleet vs. First Order fleet

Obill-Wan Cuppobi likes this.
  7. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Rey and Kylo.

I'm hoping for a Poe & Finn "buddy cop" relationship. Kinda like Crockett & Tubbs or Riggs & Mertaugh.

Obill-Wan Cuppobi likes this.
  8. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    I don't think we're going to have Rey vs Ren in three films. Or Kylo dies or become the 8.

9. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    In Episode VII, it will probably be like Obi-Wan and Vader from ANH where the student kills the mentor but it'll be Han and Kylo, then the ultimate duel will be between Rey and Kylo in IX.

10. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Mace vs Luuke

11. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    R2 vs. Thanos. It'll be a cross-over climax. Then the Avengers will have s'mores around a campfire on Endor with Luke & co and Nick Fury in the background going, "There's something familiar about this place..."

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I think it'll parallel the first duel , except this time it's a full trained Rey and Finn vs Kylo.

While Luke takes on Uber.

13. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Luke would only be fighting in the background vs. Uber, the two veterans/teachers facing off for the last time before the new Jedi/Sith take over. Luke could end up dying in his efforts to kill Uber, just like Anakin sacrificing himself to save his son and kill the Emperor. The main "epic" duel would be Rey vs. Kylo Ren, sister vs. brother/cousin.

In fact, Anakin killing the Emperor was probably more significant to the overall story than Luke vs. Uber would be. If he didn't do it, Luke would have died, the Emperor would've escaped the Death Star before it was destroyed, and the Empire would have continued to be the ruling power in the galaxy just like in the aftermath of Episode IV.

Rey vs. Kylo Ren would be the true crowning achievement of the trilogy to everyone as, to put it in simple terms, it would be the main hero vs. the big bad. That's all that really matters. Like mentioned earlier in the thread, if Finn leads the ground forces, Poe leads the air assault and Rey fights the bad guy, Luke fighting Uber wouldn't be "Dad" fighting "half the battle".

14. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Although, if Luke vs. Kylo Ren is the main duel in Episode VIII, I think it'd be smart for Luke not to fight in Episode IX. Kylo Ren turning on and killing Uber behind his back to gain full control of the First Order is always an option, and would make him look even more evil.

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Honestly, I very much hope for two duels:

2. The new generation hero(es) vs. the new baddie. By the time Episode IX rolls around, these should be characters I actually care about.

And then -- for my money -- the most exciting prospect of any potential duel in the entire history of the Saga:

1. Jedi Master Luke Skywalker vs. the big bad. [face_praying]

Think it cannot happen? Maybe. But maybe not:

- To me, there is no case to be made for there being only one single climactic duel. Episode III successfully managed two concurrent lightsaber confrontations, and it proved a perfectly feasible (even appropriate) way to close a trilogy.

- I don't care about any argument which suggests "Mark Hamill is too old to fight." I absolutely do not intend to offend anyone (whose opinions are just as valid as mine), but to me this is patently absurd. Qui-Gon Jinn looked fine. Engaging and exciting. And, as much as I love him, Qui-Gon Jinn is no Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. I predict that people in droves (U.P.F.s and general audience members, alike) would adore seeing Luke successfully challenge "Uber."

- Nor am I all that interested in hearing "The new heroes need to shine." Of course they do. Of course they will. But this needn't come at the exclusion of Luke. There's no reason the new must hog all of the "spotlight." Yeesh! :D

Yes, so please, give us Luke! So many of us are just dying to see it happen and it would mean the world to us as Star Wars fans.

16. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I have to say I´ll pee in my pants if I end up seeing a fight between Luke and Uber.

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

yes if this happens, you would hear about some crazy girl in Germany celebrating and tearing down the whole cinema for 24 hours after the movie finished.[face_laugh][face_love]:D^:)^=D=

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  18. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I had an idea a while back of a new villain being introduced in Episode VIII, kills Kylo Ren in Episode IX, and then Rey/Finn takes on the other villain in the end. this could work with Uber too though.

it'd be interesting to have a lightsaber fight where it's two villains fighting each other (not as the 'epic duel' though idk why I even posted this in this thread lol).

19. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Kira Rey vs Kylo Ren

Plagueis vs Ghost Luke (in a different kind of Force battle we haven't seen before)

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Rey vs Kylo, with Rey trying to get through to her brother. She succeeds and together they face Uber, who tries to escape but is stopped by Force Ghost Luke, who forces Uber to turn around and meet his destiny. Then Randy Orton hits Uber with an RKO from outta nowhere!

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I would love that. However, I just can't see Luke making it out of Episode 8 alive.

22. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    Luke should die in Episode IX (before the end duel when it'd just be the new characters) but idk about Episode VIII.

23. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    after he is not much in VII, you want him to be easily killed off in VIII? :(:rolleyes:

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, I just think he might get the "mentor's death". I can see him coming back as a ghost, though.

25. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd like to see Luke die in IX and come back as a ghost to help defeat Uber the same way Yoda and Obi-Wan were supposed to come back as ghosts and help Luke fight the Sith in early drafts of ROTJ.

I'm also interested in seeing if Leia ends up having any part in these final Force battles.