main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX's Epic Duel - Who Will It Be?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by adamclark83, May 1, 2015.

1. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Ohh a little tag team action? Not bad

Id rather see a fatal fourway though...but thats just me..

2. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Darth Vader vs Optimus Prime.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think Leia and Rey would be interesting.

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Bro VS Sis, Sounds Epic![face_dancing] [face_hypnotized]

5. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Considering the end of chapter epic, personal duels being one on one, champion of good vs champion of evil, it will probably be just Rey versus another. Kylo maybe.Or for something really different, have Rey face off against two opponents.

Also when that epic duel comes, how will it be done so it doesn't copy what has come before with the Anakin vs Obi-Wan and Luke vs Vader? The way I was thinking about it the other day is focus on the combatants fighting style and their character.

Even though Rey's defensive weapon in TFA is a staff, I don't see her getting a double-edged lightsabre to save the galaxy. With Maul's weapon, I believe having a double-blade is not just to look bad-ass but also for dueling two combatants.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Kramer versus Kramer

7. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    I could see a dual fight:

Luke versus Snoke

Rey versus Kylo

with Rey being the sole survivor

Darkslayer and Dak Oolron like this.
  8. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    Rey & Kylo vs Snoke
    Finn vs Phasma

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    PT vs OT because we can never move on from 1999.

10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Kylo vs The Energizer Bunny. Because he seeks to achieve what Vader didn't.

11. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Good endings are surprising and inevitable.

As we head into the beginning of the ST, it definitely seems like the final duel of the trilogy will be Kylo Ren vs. Rey because it's inevitable that the good guy always faces off against the bad guy. But I am confident that they will find an inventive, character-driven twist to add to the conflict.

With the small rumor that there will be a new "sith" character in ep8, I'm wondering if Snoke even makes it to ep9. I also doubt that Luke will make it to the end of ep9.

Dak Oolron and Satipo like this.
  12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it would be better if Snoke doesn't make it to Episode 9 to avoid serving the same story function as Sidious. Kylo Ren should ultimately take over and the final battle should be between him and one or more of the heroes. Even having some heroes team up with smaller villains to go against the main villain would be pretty cool.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  13. KOBBRA

KOBBRA Jedi Master

Sep 15, 2013
    Royal rumble match between luke-uber and kylo-finn i guess!

14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    The Climax will largely depend on how the villains shake out and who your biggest threats are.

I highly doubt Luke will have a lightsaber battle in the climax of trilogy. If he uses it at all its probably briefly.

15. 100009223693258

100009223693258 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 20, 2015
    Finn Starkiller and Kylo Ren (good versus evil, like the Darth Maul duel in The Phantom Menace)

The Force Awakens will be a whole new beginning.

And Finn Starkiller with Starkiller just as a place holder until we know what his last name will be. :cool:

And Episode IX will be the rematch with Finn Starkiller winning this time.

Skywalked likes this.
  16. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    At least one of the final combatants has to be Rey. This is her story after all.

One possible final battle would be between her and Kylo. One should always bear in mind that about 99% of the cinema going audience have no idea who Jacen and Jaina are, so I don't subscribe to the 'this has been done before' argument.

Alternatively, despite having committing monstrous acts, Kylo is redeemed by Rey and they team up to defeat Snoke.

I really can't see any other parties being involved at the end tbh. :)

17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Yeah, I really wonder how it will work out. In ANH Luke never had a duel with Vader leaving their confrontation closer to the finale. Rey is supposed to face Kylo in TFA already. Are they going to fight each other in all three movies? Or will Kylo die, leaving her with facing Snoke at the end?

It`s hard to move on from a ruined childhood. ;)

CairnsTony likes this.
  18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Luke vs Rey/Finn/Kylo/Snoke/Leia. There will be only 1 left in the end. Like in 'Highlander'. [face_devil]

starocean90 likes this.
  19. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

That's a great point. The OT did a great job building the anticipation for the Luke/Vader confrontations.

Two further points, I think.

We're not completely sure what the Rey/Kylo fight is going to look like in TFA. It could go either way, of course, but there is the potential that it does something unexpected that makes us eager to see their next confrontation.

More importantly, I think, is that one of the missteps in the PT is that the protagonist wasn't facing off against the same antagonist in each of the films. Sure, Palpatine was the manifestation of the general antagonistic force, but until the final film, the heroes were primarily facing off against an ever-changing rotation of villains. One of the things that worked so well in the OT is that, if you reversed the point of view, Vader has his own dramatic arc and is pursuing an autonomous, character driven goal. With the exception of Palpatine, this is not the case for the villains in the PT.

I'm confident that the current team recognizes the need for a villain with a compelling dramatic arc that develops along side the protagonists' in a dynamic way.

And making a similar point to one I made in a different topic, months ago, the thing that makes these scenes interesting isn't really the bare fact of who is doing what, but rather the emotional stakes involved and why they choose to do the things they do. Basic example: if we had a spoiler years ago that said, "Vader cuts off Luke's hand and then Luke jumps down a giant shaft to escape," who knows what we would be thinking or speculating, but we wouldn't have any idea what the true emotional journey of that fight would be. Even aside from the huge revelation in that scene, we also wouldn't know that Luke's Jedi Master had explicitly told him not to go, and that Luke's choice to go and confront Vader in the first place was a dramatically compelling one.

Satipo and TK327 like this.
  20. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Luke and uber die in VIII by the broad saber of kylo and the big duel in IX is kylo vs Rey and Finn vs Phasma

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hopefully such people can someday see how truly blessed they are that they have clearly never actually experienced anything truly challenging in their life, if a film not being made how they imagined it is their breaking point, then. :)

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Luke Skywalker vs someone who's getting their ass smacked sideways by Luke Skywalker

appleseed likes this.
  23. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I think Luke will have turned into a Force Ghost by the time we've reached Ep IX, so he's not in the game.

Rey for sure, but versus Kylo or Snoke? I'd say both, but Snoke will only be watching them fight at first. Then he'll use Force lightning on Rey, and Kylo will be watching instead. Then, Kylo can't watch his sister die, so he starts fighting Snoke instead. Then once Rey gets back on her feet, she joins her brother and together they finish off Snoke in a double lightsaber cut - together as brother and sister. But, Kylo hasn't joined the light side, so they part ways.

Alternatively, Maz Kanata fights Snoke in a different place

24. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I have a deja-vu and remember having seen this before. Ohh wait, this is not a deja-vu. o_O

25. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Rey and Kylo will fight Snoke together.