Episode seven figures, and toys

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by newdawn12, Oct 18, 2013.

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    If you figure a May 20th release for the movies.

How far along in production do you think thay are, at Hasbro, If they want them ready by March/April 2015 for distribution.
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Aaronaman Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    With the money they expect to make off the figures I'm sure Hasbro are right there in the production meetings so as soon as a character is confirmed they can start their process....I doubt we'll get another 'early bird box' in stores for VII haha
    whostheBossk likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Yeah, I would imagine Hasbro (assuming they keep the license with the Disney ownership) would be getting busy as characters are confirmed. If the release date is May 2015 we might see preview figures for Christmas 2014. I doubt they'd want to miss that date.
  4. Juke Skywalker Chosen One

star 5
    I'm pretty sure the Mace Windu preview figure for Ep. I came out around Christmas of '98, but I'm trying to remember when the four preview figures for Ep. II & III came out. Seems like it was February [face_dunno]? And I seem to recall the "Midnight madness" then being sometime in mid-to-late April.
  5. PadmeLeiaJaina Chosen One

star 6
    I really wonder what sort of reception toys for the new films will get from older fans. I can see people w/ young kids getting them so they can have their own SW to love. It'll be interesting.
  6. Juke Skywalker Chosen One

star 5
    Hype is a funny thing. I can sit here now in late '13 and say that I don't plan on buying much, if any, Episode VII merchandise, but sure as the world come Spring '15 I'll be at Toys'R'Us with a "Pookoo: Deadly Ewok Bounty Hunter w/battlematic action" in my cart.
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I'll be hitting the bookstores for all the tie-ins..
    SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  8. PadmeLeiaJaina Chosen One

star 6
    LOL! [face_rofl]

I've never done the midnight madness thing for action figures, but lord knows I've eaten more kids meals than any one person should in order to get whole sets of SW toys/watches/whatever. I know I'll be sucked in - there are going to be at least 2 primary female characters in the film. *Sigh
  9. Juke Skywalker Chosen One

star 5
    If you get sucked in at least you'll be in good company :p.

When the ROTS stuff was released I skipped TRU and hit a local Meijer (Think Super Wal-Mart). I got there about 11:45 and they had a perimeter of yellow caution tape set up around the ROTS display with a very nervous looking kid in the center "guarding" it as about half a dozen grown men paced around him like hungry tigers.
  10. PadmeLeiaJaina Chosen One

star 6
  11. ChrisLyne Force Ghost

star 3
    Since the figures take roughly a year from start to finish and the movie isn't cast yet I don't think Hasbro can do much at this point except very basic break downs like X amount of figures at launch including X major characters, Y secondary characters and Z collector characters.

Next spring when casting is done and filming starts they'll be able to start the real work.

We got a wave of 4 preview figures for both AOTC and ROTS and those included major characters like Jango Fett and General Grevious. Personally I'd love Jedi Master Luke as the preview figure but you know he'll be saved for Midnight Madness :)
  12. Juke Skywalker Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, that's a good point, ChrisLyne. What they're doing now is number crunching and maybe making preliminary marketing plans; Premiums, contests etc. Heck, they really can't even begin working on the packeging art yet.

It seems like the preview figures are always new characters; Mace Windu, Jango Fett, Zam Wesell, General Grievous. That'll probably be the case here, too.
  13. SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I would assume Hasbro will be kept up to date on the new movies, so they can be ready to produce merchandise. I doubt they're very far along with that right now though.
    Same here. I'm more more excited for the novels than the figures.
  14. Barbecue17 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Gosh, just knowing that we've got more Star Wars merchandising blitzes to look forward to excited me.

I was only a Freshmen in High School when Ep I came out, so I was not able to go to the midnight toy launch (did see the movie at midnight, though). I went out for both Episodes II and III, though, with a good friend. Didn't buy much for Episode III but we went crazy with two hitting up tons of stores in order to try and track down a Count Dooku (who got released a bit late.)

Time for me to call up my good friend and make arrangements for a visit sometime in the fall of 2015. ;)
  15. PadmeLeiaJaina Chosen One

star 6
    Fact is my office can't handle another massive wave of merchandise. I've got room for one more large bookshelf in here and I've already got stuff from storage that could fit on it, so I'm going to have to be very selective with what I get from the new films. I'll probably stick to my favorite things: 12" figures, mini-busts, and if Hasbro's still making them 6" figures.

In many ways I'm more looking forward to hearing about the single character-centric films that are in development. I really, REALLY hope that the rumors are true and they're working on a Yoda script. If there was an all Yoda movie coming - I'd happily jump through every hoop there is to buy more Yoda stuff. They also said there's some sort of Darth Vader TV project in the works - more new Vader stuff? Count me in for that.

I do know that I'm happy that Ep 7 is coming out at the holidays rather than Summer. Thanks to living in AZ where I spend a small fortune for AC bills all summer long, I'm thrilled at the idea of being able to pick up merchandise during the winter when I'm flush with money.
    Last edited by PadmeLeiaJaina, Nov 11, 2013
  16. whostheBossk Force Ghost

star 4
    My thoughts are instead of waiting, just make a list of "potential" Ep. 7 figures by shopping for Jacen and Jaina Solo as well as POJ Imperial Sentinel, Spacetrooper, Adm. Thrawn and hope a few will make it to the movie!
  17. whostheBossk Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok so I was wrong in the main characters being from EU (although not far off), but what figures are you going to get and who is going to midnight madness on Force Friday September 4th (only 3 months away!!)? Hide spoilers
  18. Juke Skywalker Chosen One

star 5
    I doubt I'll do MM this time, but the closer we get to September that could certainly change. I'm going to tread lightly this time. Core characters, few if any vehicles to start. I might even skip the 3 3/4" and do 6" only. But of course I'm saying this in May. We'll see where my resolve is come September.
    Last edited by Juke Skywalker, May 23, 2015
  19. Blur Chosen One

star 4
    I won't be getting that many - if any - of the Episode 7 figures. I don't have a lot of extra room for collectibles at this point, and am actually trying to get rid of stuff (or at least cut back) instead of buying more stuff. I'm also trying to save $...

That being said, I will still keep up with the new toys on this & other boards, just to see if any new OT/PT figures are being produced.
    whostheBossk likes this.
  20. Gamma626 Force Ghost

star 4
    It all depends on what they release, and the quality of the figures. I won't buy any of the 3 3/4 figures if they're 5POA because I just feel like there will be tons of better figures released later. If the 3 3/4 have horrible quality control, I'll pass on collecting them too.

6 inch I'm pretty much in for, unless those have horrible paint apps too. Here's hoping hasbro does well!
    whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Juke Skywalker Chosen One

star 5
    [Vader voice] I find the lack of pics and info on the Ep. VII line disturbing. The line hits in a little over two months and all we've seen is the Comic Con exclusive Stormtrooper. I really hope Hasbro has some stuff to show at Comic Con.
  22. Gamma626 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it's because they haven't really revealed the characters yet. For example, they can't reveal whether Finn or Rey come with a lightsaber yet. We haven't seen full details on Kylo and Han. They don't want to spoil the costumes and accessories before the film shows it. We'll see a figure reveal at SDCC after the new trailer. MAYBE the Disney convention.
  23. PadmeLeiaJaina Chosen One

star 6
    Well it's not like we won't be seeing everything in Sept. I think Hasbro will have a monster display at SDCC for items that they showed the costumes at Celebration.
  24. Gamma626 Force Ghost

star 4
    That's what I mean. They'll reveal everything at the same time the movie trailers do, which will be comic con. I can almost gaurentee it.

I doubt we get a full line up of figures on September 1rst though. Probably just the first two waves. And sadly I doubt Luke will show up in those waves. :(
  25. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    We might get a preview wave, like they did for AOTC..
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT