main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode seven figures, and toys

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by newdawn12, Oct 18, 2013.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Pic of a new Rey figure has leaked - MAJOR spoilers looking her! Click to See!

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I got the black series 3.75" Kylo Ren two days ago. :D

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    FYI in case you can't find this image anymore....click here.

4. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Hi guys. I haven't posted here in a very, very, long time. I recognize a couple names here, but not all. Best wishes to everyone I knew before, and everyone who's new.

Long story short, life took me in another direction. Star Wars didn't do anything for me for the most part.

Jump to today: I took my 11 year old daughter to see episode 7. We loved it. It was fun. Not perfect, but fun.

So I logged on here because I have been surprised at the lack of toys for this movie. I wanted to check in and see what was going on, as I haven't kept up on things. This is pretty much the biggest movie ever, and I, as an average midwestern guy, I do not see the same kind of toy presence we used to see even for the prequels. It's sad to me but probably just a sign of the times. I've read through some of the discussion and I know there are toys out there,it just seems like they aren't the big deal they used to be. And I'm pretty much referring to the 3.75" line...it just seems like nothing, where for me as a kid of the 70's/80's it was everything. However, I do kind of like the cheapo big vinyl figures. I just don't see the classic stuff in the way we used to. I work in a school, and I don't see Star Wars or toys in general being much of a big deal. It's all cell phone/app/game/stuff. Yes, I know I sound old when I say that. The other thing is that as a father of a kid who is a "nerd" in the best sense of the term, Star Wars, even now, is low on the radar. Doctor Who is the big deal. She likes Star Wars, but it certainly doesn't hold the same esteem that it used to. Not to mention Star Trek, which the kids have largely forgotten (outside of the reboots) and is a whole other issue for another time.

Now having said that, I did see a really great bag of apples with the SW log on them the other day. Woo-hoo!? Is that where the merchandise is going?

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    rebelwookiee as I live and breath! Good to see you :D. I actually thought about you recently. I was checking one of my PM's and there were a few old conversations with you in my in-box. I had a long absence from the boards myself. '08-'12, with only a smattering of activity in between. Was still a fan, still collecting, but not a lot of free time (Mother was ill, since passed). But with the announcement of the sale of the rights to Disney I came back full time in '12. Still collecting SW, though almost exclusively vintage these days. I do collect the 6" Black Series, though.

But, back on topic lol. Yeah, the presence at retail--at least from a toy perspective--is much different in 2015/16 than it was for the PT. I think it's a combo of a lesson learned (we all remember peg after peg after peg jammed with Jar Jars and the like for months after the films came and went), and a different market. We just don't see that same push with tie-ins these days. Movies like Age Of Ultron and Jurassic World would've had an entire aisle a decade or so ago, and this time around they got maybe a 4' section. Heck, I never even saw any JW toys in my area.

But in my area the TFA toys have sold extremely well, and merch in general has been hot. I got my 7 year old nephew six 6" Black Series TFA figures for Christmas and he went nuts. He also got a lot of other SW stuff, and as a family we all wore SW-themed PJ's for Christmas (themed PJ's are a tradition. It's my sister-in-law's thing lol).

whostheBossk and Skellybobs like this.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hey rebelwookiee! Overall I think the level of toy merchandising might even be more than it was for "Revenge of the Sith" but it's just bloody difficult to FIND anything out there. Example they pre-sold (and sold out) Rey figures in the fall and then by the time the film came out there were none to be found in the stores. Collectors have had to resort to multiple ways of getting toys and kids...good luck to them to get anything unless their parents were really diligent about hunting stuff down for them.

Overall the toy market has taken a hit, kids are out wanting phones and crap instead of getting toys to enhance their imagination. Although I don't think it's 100% accurate to say that's the case, plenty of toys still get bought and enjoyed. The action figure industry overall is just long past the peak that it was in the 90's when figures flew off of the shelves. As a result, Hasbro and the other toy manufacturers are reluctant to glut the market w/ merchandise and end up in the red w/ retailers having to heavily discount overstock. Then you have the final problem of the big retailers are suffering, with Walmart and Target having to close stores, Kmart practically gone, no toy stores other than Toys R Us, your ability to even FIND merchandise is getting smaller and smaller.

If your daughter wants toys, you can probably find Finn stuff, but you'll have to hunt online for Rey merchandise.

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Though I'm not collecting the TFA toys, I actually think there's quite a few Hasbro toys out there for the film, as well as many toys from other companies. TFA is definitely more heavily merchandised than other super-hero/sci-fi films out there from the past several years.

I believe there's more merchandise out there than there was for AOTC & ROTS (though not more than there was for TPM; TPM was probably the most heavily merchandised film of all time).

8. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    Good to hear from you guys. I think everything you guys have said is right on. As for merch, there is definitely a lot, but the 3.75" line is nothing like it used to be at the stores here (Walmart, Target, KMart, etc.) But then again, I'm not collecting so I'm not diligently tracking new shipments and such. Maybe I'm missing, out, but anytime I've been at one of those stores there are literally only 2 or 3 figures there. The shelf space is tiny as well. I guess that's how it is these days. I don't really know because my older daughter likes Star Wars, but never caught on to the toys, so I lost interest as well. My younger daughter would just rather go outside and play, which is cool.

Blur --I've got to disagree. At least where I'm at, I'm seeing nowhere near the merch that there was for AOTC and ROTS, especially action figures. Maybe it's different where you are. For AOTC several of the Walmarts had entire tents in the parking lot to debut the toys. There were huge bins in the aisles and probably 10 feet of display space.

So are Rey figures rare? I just stopped at our local small town Dollar General and bought the Rey (Starkiller Base) figure for my daughter. While I was there I saw Star Wars bottled water. I'm not kidding.

It's like Spaceballs....the toilet paper!

whostheBossk and Juke Skywalker like this.
  9. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Lol, trust me. It's because the toys are actually selling. Hasbro has been hit hard, and caught with their pants down. It's been a big issue this holiday. They didn't manufacture near enough figures to meet the demand. Hasbro has had to issue statements about it, hoping to crank out more early this year.

10. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    I did some more reading and it sounds like a bit of a mess with Hasbro. Plus I answered my own question...Rey is going for about 20-25 on ebay. Gee, I thought the 8 I spent was too much...one more reason I stopped collecting the figures. I gotta put food on the table.

11. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Is it really that hard to find Rey?

I've seen multiples of her in my local stores, and they were Black Series too! I got a 6-inch version of her a few days after Force Friday. I even saw quite a few of 3.75 inch Black Series figures of her at my more local Wal-Mart (which is a surprise, considering they usually never had the good stuff back in the day of the Vintage Collection and the Clone Wars figures). Maybe you live in bigger cities...

12. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    Hello, I've seen Rey with BB8 at the Disney store and its the elite series too. I think they just came out with Kylo Ren without his mask on and Finn too.

13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Stopped at Walmart today and they were fully stocked with Star Wars figures, it actually took me forever to search through all of them, none of the wave 3TFA figures but I did get the PZ-4CO figure I needed.

With regards to Rey figures, I think the 3.75 inch Rey figures have been the hardest to find (except for the one that comes with the speeder) but I was able to get one on Force Friday and I have seen them several times since, but usually only one or two figures at those times. So I think they are out there but they are just popular, heck I think all of the figures are selling pretty well, most of the stores in my area were pretty well stocked before Christmas but were cleaned out when I checked right after the holiday. I'm hoping that seeing Walmart this stocked today means they are going to start pushing out more figures soon so that people can are able to get what they are looking for.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Well, I guess it depends on where your'e located. When TFA toys hit in September, there were a plethora of toys on the shelves initially that sold out in many cases. In the coming months, however, stuff continued to be put on the shelves on an increasing basis. I saw the biggest display @ TRU, but Target & Wal-mart had a lot of toys as well. And, it's not just Hasbro toys - it's bath towels, huge figures, mugs, etc.

When AOTC was released, I didn't see that many specific AOTC figures - since there was no dedicated line for them at that time.

When ROTS was released, I didn't see that many figures either.

15. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    All I've been able to find lately is Goss Toowers, Ello Asty, constable Zuuvio, and the Obi-Wan/Cody two pack. Obviously the ones not selling are character either barely, or not at all, in the film. The vehicles are a different story too though. Poes x wing can't sell for the life of it. I haven't seen a 3.75" Rey since force Friday. I've seen some Finns, but Poe has been pretty absent too. Kylo has rarely popped up as well.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I still don't have a 3 3/4" Kylo or Phasma.

17. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yeah, some of these characters are very absent. Hasbro has had a hard time meeting demand so far. Hopefully the new year is better for them!

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I liked the look of Phasma but since she had such a minor part in the film I haven't decided whether to get a figure of her or not.

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    They said that she's an "emerging character" - she's going to be in the film, that's been confirmed.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm going to see the film again either tomorrow or Wed morning (depends on the weather). I might see what the local stores have left.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Her Disney Store elite series figure and the 12" TRU figures are both nice. I know that doesn't overly help you over in the UK, but I like how they both look.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We have a Disney store in London but I don't want it bad enough to make a special trip. What I really want to find is the novel. It wasn't out til Jan 1 here so it wasn't in the stores when I was last in town. I managed to get the soundtrack last week though. If I can't find the book I'll be putting an Amazon UK order in when I get home from the film.

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Entertainment Earth has some upcoming figure waves posted - seriously Hasbro #wheresRey - the 12" version of her is coming and that's IT. We don't even have that Resistance base version of her figure that was leaked showing up anywhere. I do like that we're finally getting Stormtrooper Finn figures, but seriously #wheresRey?

Star Wars VII Armor Series Action Figures Wave 1

[​IMG]

• Awesome action figures from Star Wars: The Force Awakens and beyond!
    • This box of Star Wars The Force Awakens Armor Series Action Figures includes 8 action figures with awesome accessories - including cool armor!
    • Each 3 3/4-inch action figure is articulated and includes accessories!
    Defend the galaxy - or destroy it - with the Star Wars The Force Awakens Armor Series Action Figures! Each 3 3/4-inch action figure includes a pair of accessories - or possibly even more - from a galaxy far, far away. Feel disturbances in the Force, and then defend yourself against them with this exquisite collection of action figures. Most action figures feature 5 joints each. Ages 4 and up.

This Star Wars The Force Awakens Armor Series Action Figures features 8 individually packaged action figures, including:

1x SW E7 FINN STARKILLER BASE
    1x SW E7 KYLO REN
    1x SW E6 LUKE SKYWALKER
    1x SW E5 BOBA FETT
    1x SW E7 CHEWBACCA
    1x SW E7 FIRST ORDER STORMTROOPER
    1x SW E7 POE DAMERON
    1x SW E7 FIRST ORDER FLAMETROOPER
    (subject to change)

Star Wars VII Armor Series Action Figures Wave 2

(No photo)
    • This box of Star Wars The Force Awakens Armor Series Action Figures includes 8 action figures with awesome accessories - including cool armor!
    Defend the galaxy - or destroy it - with the Star Wars The Force Awakens Armor Series Action Figures! Each 3 3/4-inch action figure includes a pair of accessories - or possibly even more - from a galaxy far, far away. Feel disturbances in the Force, and then defend yourself against them with this exquisite collection of action figures. Most action figures feature 5 joints each. Ages 4 and up.

This Star Wars The Force Awakens Armor Series Action Figures features 8 individually packaged action figures, including:
    1x SW E7 KYLO REN
    1x SW E7 CHEWBACCA
    1x SW E7 POE DAMERON
    1x SW E7 FIRST ORDER FLAMETROOPER
    2x SW E7 TIE FIGHTER PILOT ELITE
    2x SW E7 FINN FN-2187
    (subject to change)
    Star Wars VII Snow Desert Figures Wave 4 Case

No photo
    • The Star Wars The Force Awakens 3 3/4-Inch Snow and Desert Action Figures Wave 4 Case includes 12 action figures with awesome accessories - including bonus weapons that can combine to bigger and badder gear!
    Tour the galaxy with the Star Wars The Force Awakens 3 3/4-Inch Snow and Desert Action Figures Wave 4 Case! Each 3 3/4-inch action figure includes a pair of accessories - or possibly even more - from a galaxy far, far away. Feel disturbances in the Force, and then shoot at them, with this exquisite collection of action figures. Most action figures feature 5 joints each. Ages 4 and up.

The Star Wars The Force Awakens 4 3/4-Inch Snow and Desert Action Figures Wave 4 Case features 12 individually packaged action figures, including:
    2x SW E7 X-WING PILOT ASTY
    2x SW E7 FIRST ORDER SNOWTROOPER
    2x SW E7 FIRST ORDER STORMTROOPER
    2x SW E7 FINN FN-2187
    2x SW E7 UNKAR PLUTT
    2x SW R CAPTAIN REX
    (subject to change)
    Star Wars VII Snow Desert Figures Wave 5 Case

No photo
    • The Star Wars The Force Awakens 3 3/4-Inch Snow and Desert Action Figures Wave 5 Case includes 12 action figures with awesome accessories - including bonus weapons that can combine to bigger and badder gear!
    Tour the galaxy with the Star Wars The Force Awakens 3 3/4-Inch Snow and Desert Action Figures Wave 5 Case! Each 3 3/4-inch action figure includes a pair of accessories - or possibly even more - from a galaxy far, far away. Feel disturbances in the Force, and then shoot at them, with this exquisite collection of action figures. Most action figures feature 5 joints each. Ages 4 and up.

The Star Wars The Force Awakens 4 3/4-Inch Snow and Desert Action Figures Wave 5 Case features 12 individually packaged action figures, including:
    2x SW E7 FINN JAKKU
    2x SW E7 CONSTABLE ZUVIO
    2x SW E7 FIRST ORDER FLAMETROOPER
    2x SW E7 KYLO REN
    2x SW E7 STORMTROOPER SQUAD LEADER
    2x SW E7 NIEN NUNB
    (subject to change)
    Star Wars VII Action Figure 2-Packs Wave 3 Case

No photo
    • Awesome action figure 2-packs from the Star Wars movies and TV shows, including The Force Awakens and Rebels!
    Go on a mission to another planet with the Star Wars The Force Awakens Mission Series Action Figure 2-Packs Wave 3 Case! Each 3 3/4-inch action figure 2-pack includes a pair of figures - or possibly even more - with awesome accessories from a galaxy far, far away. Build your armies! Save the galaxy! Attack some robots! It's a great time for kids and collectors of all ages. Ages 4 and up.

The Star Wars The Force Awakens Mission Series Action Figure 2-Packs Wave 3 Case features 8 individually packaged action figure two-packs, including:
    1x SW E7 BB8 UNKARS THUG JAKKU SCAVENGER
    1x SW E7 R2D2 C3P0
    2x SW REBELS DARTH VADER AHSOKA TANO
    2x SW E7 SNAP WEXLEY & SNOWTROOPER OFFICER
    2x SW E7 SIDON ITHANO & FIRST MATE QUIGGOLD
    (subject to change)
    Star Wars TFA Hero Series 12-Inch Action Figures Wave 4 Case

Get set for big adventure with the Star Wars The Force Awakens Hero Series 12-Inch Action Figures Wave 2 Case! Each huge 12-inch action figure is ready to take on the entire galaxy. Case includes 8 individually packaged figures:
    1x SW E3 HERO SERIES DARTH VADER
    2x SW E7 HERO SERIES KYLO REN
    1x SW E7 HERO SERIES FIRST ORDER TIE PILOT
    1x SW E7 HERO SERIES REY JAKKU
    2x SW E7 FINN FN-2187
    1x SW R FIFTH BROTHER INQUISITOR
    (subject to change)

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. Sons of Liberty

Sons of Liberty Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2014
    Just got a Kylo Ren and First Order Stormtrooper Diecast figures