main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode seven figures, and toys

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by newdawn12, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here's me in Hot Wheels form (The Force Awakens version), silhouetted in the beautiful evening sun...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    And here I am in my usual, standby mode... Waiting for my next assignment in the far, far away galaxy!

(Considering I'm a small Hot Wheels model, the level of detail and realism is just superb, don't you think so? )[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You can put collecting photos here in the Collection Photos thread.

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Thanks, LAJ_FETT, I already did! =D=

5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Even though I said I wasn't going to get any TFA toys, I broke down & recently got Rey's Speeder. Great vehicle! However, the figure is not that great. I'm fine with it not having arm articulation. However, at the least it should have had articulated knees so it could be placed on the vehicle properly.

As it stands, the Rey figure looks very awkward & ridiculous on the vehicle. This is inexcusable & sloppy on Hasbro's part.

Heck, even the Darth Maul w/Sith Speeder vehicle that came out in 1999 (17 years ago) had articulated knees!!!!!!!

6. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    To add to my last post about Rey's Speeder:

1) This vehicle is extremely overpriced @ $25 retail. It's a small ship, and should have been only $15 - $20, tops. Sure, I bought it, but still. These high prices are one of the reasons I'm not getting many of these TFA toys.

2) Even if I were to buy The Black Series Rey figure with articulated knees (haven't seen the figure yet), the Speeder is still sculpted wrong - i.e., the foot pads are designed for the non-articulated Rey figure (that comes with the vehicle) - they are not designed to look like the foot-pads in the film.

Going along with the above, the Rey figure that comes with this looks fine standing, but that's it. Again, puzzled at the lack of knee articulation here.

That all being said:

The vehicle looks great! It's to scale re: what we see in the film, and is very detailed. If it weren't for the incorrect foot pad placement, this would be a perfect toy.

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The lack of articulation has been my biggest peeve about the very limited number of TFA figures I've seen. Hasbro very clearly wants to steer us to the Black figures which are nearly identical to what they put out a few years ago but cost several times as much. The Black figures are a scam and I refuse to buy them. That said, I do like some of the detail on the new TFA characters. However, I recently snagged the Vader figure and was dismayed to see he had the body of a 12 year old boy.

I DO like the sculpts of the new characters. Very nicely detailed overall and this does eliminate some of my irritation over the lack of articulation. Now if only the newer TFA figures would hit my store shelves - and maybe bring back Starkiller Base Rey as she is the only one I have yet to pickup.

8. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    The Black Series figures are very expensive, but I may still get some of the TFA ones (don't have any yet) - if I can find them. I do like the nice articulation - which is what we've gotten used to these days.

The 5 POA on the regular TFA figures is abysmal, and is one of the reasons I'm not getting any of the carded figures. It's not 1995 anymore. Hasbro really cheaped out by making these so non-articulated.

9. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    The Black Series figures are very expensive, but I may still get some of the TFA ones (don't have any yet) - if I can find them. I do like the nice articulation - which is what we've gotten used to these days.

The 5 POA on the regular TFA figures is abysmal, and is one of the reasons I'm not getting any of the carded figures. It's not 1995 anymore. Hasbro really cheaped out by making these so non-articulated.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    You know I understand where you're coming from, but I think Hasbro was incredibly smart to mostly focus on the cheaper figures. The toy industry overall has taken a huge hit over the past decade or so what w/ people stupidly buying their kids phones and ipads instead of toys, interest in them is somewhat waning. I've seen more figures getting snatched up - even larger displays of them - than I have in years because they're relatively inexpensive. Also a lot of grandparents would feel nostalgic towards seeing the 5 POA figures for their little grandkids. (Guhh I can't believe I just lumped us the first gen of SW collectors as grandparents, but it's true.)

The 5 POA also are a hell of a lot more durable. I think the molds have gotten better than the first batches of the 5 POA figures they started releasing a few years ago. Hasbro has been overwhelmed with demand which they weren't expecting because sales were so bad during the Recession. That's over, people want to relive the fun of their youth and they have money to spend and they're spinning their heads trying to figure out how to keep up w/ demand.

The limited edition articulated figures need to sell out for them to think twice about not continuing to supply those figures because parents who are willing to buy toys again are going to look for value first and foremost.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yeah, I see what you're saying. Also, I'm not that broken up about the 5 POA since I'm not really collecting the figures to any extent, anyway. As I said, however, I wish the Rey figure that came with the speeder at least have articulated knees so she could properly fit on the speeder - it wouldn't have killed Hasbro to have done this for the figures that came with the vehicles.

I'm also getting the TFA Snowspeeder soon, and the figure that comes with that can't even sit in the vehicle either; apparently it can just stand. It should have had cloth goods instead of the plastic cape. Wow.....

You're also right about SW collectors of a certain age being grandparents - scary. I myself don't have any kids (at least, I don't think I do - LOL), but am in my mid-40's - so I guess I'm old enough to have kids who could also have their own kids. Can't believe I'm so old....:_|

12. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Just got my first TFA Snowspeeder - superb toy! Really enjoying the whole look of this great sculpt. Several points:

This vehicle screams OT EU to me. In fact, I wouldn't have cared if Hasbro had produced this toy even if it hadn't been in the film. - I would have gotten this anyway. As it stood, IIRC it was only in the movie for a split-second anyway (though there may be a deleted scene on the forthcoming DVD/Blu-ray that shows more of the vehicle). In any case, this Snowspeeder actually looks a vehicle that you have seen on the cover of an '80's SW Marvel comic, and/or the late '80's/early '90's SW West End Game Adventure books.

This vehicle also reminds me of something that could easily have been part of the G.I. Joe: ARAH line from the '80's, maybe a hover-craft or swamp-speeder of some sort. I could easily see this being part of a ARAH diorama...

This Snowspeeder is way overpriced @ $30 at most retail stores - as are all of these TFA vehicles. I got this for about $23 from Amazon (before tax), but wouldn't have wanted to pay much more than that. If I can find it for $20 anywhere, I'll definitely get another one.

whostheBossk and Juke Skywalker like this.
  13. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Just got my one & only The Black Series Titanium toy - Rey's Speeder (Jakku). Great little toy, and a nice representation of the vehicle from the film.

14. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
  15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    My wife picked me up the 3 3/4 TFA General Hux and Guavian Enforcer today. Only got PZ-4CO & Goss Toowers to go in Wave 2 :D

Jedi Knight Fett and Skellybobs like this.
  16. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    I bought a Goss Toowers figure from the B&F aka Ben Franklin store weeks ago.

Yep, B&F stores are still around these days. Its nice to see Star Wars toys once in a blue moon while the rest of the toys are Silly Putty and giant toy kitchen playsets for boys and/or girls.

17. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    I found Tasu Leech at Walmart last night. The back of the card shows that his item combines with those of Fifth Brother Inquisitor and Admiral Ackbar, so keep an eye out for those two as well!

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Picked up the 3 3/4 TFA Goss Toowers :) I've not seen PZ-4CO in quite some time.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    PZ-4CO is a shelf warmer here. Same with the Guavian Death Gang soldier and several others. I did score Han Solo and a Hassk Thug about a week ago.

Now if only I can find Starkiller Base Rey...

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  20. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I saw Han, Hassk and Rey (Starkiller Base) once, all three on the pegs however had no money with me. Went back the next day, all gone. Not seen them since :(

21. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Hey everyone - just wanted to make you all aware of a potential issue with the TFA Snowspeeder. Excellent toy. However:

Not long after I opened this, I was disappointed that the mounted laser rifle (that fits into the speeder itself) almost immediately broke off from the plastic white base that it's mounted on - not sure why this happened - this is very fragile, I guess. I tried to glue this back with super glue - but this didn't work.

It wasn't broken when I got this, and it's possible I was trying to be too forceful when putting it in it's place on the vehicle - which may have caused the break.

This piece/part is flimsy & doesn't fit into the vehicle that well to begin with. Plus, it takes up a lot of room that could be better used to have a figure sitting there. So, I just ended up getting rid of this piece.

In any case, I like this vehicle so much that despite this, I would definitely be onboard with getting another of these Snowspeeders (for a good price, that is). This is an extremely nice & overall well-put together vehicle.

22. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Picked up PZ-4CO :) Just need Han, Rey (Resistance) and Haskk Thug and that's all I know of so far.

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Well that sucks :( I've heard that some of the ships from TFA seem to be flimsy w/ the parts. I only got Rey's speeder which seems pretty solid (not a lot of small parts.)

I don't suppose you can try taking it back to get a new one?

24. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Good points. Rey's Speeder is much better built, but as you mentioned it doesn't have a lot of small parts that can break.

I actually thought about returning this TFA Snowspeeder, but I got it from Amazon at a discount - and don't feel like taking the time/hassle to try to return this - which would involve packaging this up again, etc. Plus, I've read on other SW toy boards that this is a problem others have had as well - so even if I get a replacement that laser gun may break too. I don't like the gun much anyway, too be honest - so I won't be using this with the toy.

25. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I found Haskk Thug today at Target. It was the only one left of the new wave unfortunately.