main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Episode V Versus Lucas

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Neon Genesis, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Really? Why don't you explain to me, objectively and using proper musical terminology, why Yub Nub is a "horrible song". Keeping your own opinions and preferences to yourself, tell me why Yub Nub fails as a piece of music and why it doesn't work as the closing piece to ROTJ.

I'll be over here holding my breath.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It works as a closing piece to RotJ, but in my opinion, it doesn't work as a closing piece to the saga. Fortunately George felt the same and changed it.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    EDIT: Can't be bothered

[​IMG]

(Not you, Alexrd, we all know who I'm talking about)

4. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I think you are being a troll. You're are Always arguing with me..

5. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Argumentation =/= "trolling".

6. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Lucas WAS heavily involved in ESB, but, he did not direct it. He handed those reins over to IK. I think Lucas is best (like most of us) when he collaborates more with others. Hence, Raiders was him and Speilberg. ESB, him and Kersh. ANH, him and Gary Kurtz. I think the prequels suffered from the lack of collaboration. Even one of the best scenes in ROTS was with input by Speilberg (Yoda vs. Palps).

7. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Who cares?

8. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Really? I LOVE Yub Nub.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he was involved plenty.

10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011

I love Yub Nub, but I like Victory Celebration a little more.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Jean Valley: Why didn't you direct The Empire Strikes Back?

Lucas: I hate directing. It's like fighting a fifteen-round heavyweight bout with a new opponent every day. You go to work knowing just how you want a scene to be, but by the end of the day, you're usually depressed because you didn't do a good enough job. When I visited the set in Norway and saw all the problems and the misery that [director Irvin] Kershner was going through, wow, can you imagine being in the Arctic Circle at forty-five below zero? It's hard enough just to walk through it, let alone direct the actors, move the equipment. It was easy to let go of directing.

Valley: What did you do on this film?

Lucas: I provided the story and technical advice, like, does a robot do this or that? They shipped me the dailies and I looked at them. There were some problems. They were a little over budget, over schedule. That concerned me, because I only had so much money and I was afraid if they used it all up, we wouldn't be able to finish the movie. But I knew they were trying to do the best job they possibly could, and I thought the stuff looked terrific. It's truly Kershner's movie.

Valley: Does that make you sad?

Lucas: Well, it's still my story. I just didn't have to do all the work. [Smiling sheepishly] I feel Chewbacca is still my Wookiee and R2-D2 is still my little robot.

Valley: How would you have made the movie differently?

Lucas: Hard to describe. I look at a scene and think, "Gee, I wouldn't have done it that way." A lot of people have told me that The Empire is a better film than Star Wars, so whatever my disagreements were, well, Kershner was right.

--"The Empire Strikes Back and So Does George Lucas", Rolling Stone interview, 1980.

And then there's this interview from 83.

Paul Scanlon: Often, the title ''executive producer'' is an honorarium. Many never visit the set.

Lucas: Well, in this case, it's a very collaborative situation, and the directors know that going in. I've got to find a director who's willing to give up some of his domain to me and is willing to work with me and accept the fact that he's essentially doing a movie that's been established, that ultimately I'll have the final say. There are a number of directors who just can't do that.

Scanlon: While the picture is being shot, does the executive producer ever get the itch occasionally to direct?

Lucas: Yeah. It's mostly the itch to move things along: ''Let's do it.'' But most of the directors are fast. Occasionally, there are problems because I've worked with these crews a lot, and sometimes they have tendencies to ask me questions instead of the directors – things get a little confused once in a while. The special effects and the editing are really more my domain than anything else, because I've had so much more experience at it.

Scanlon: Do you position yourself a little differently on the Raiders pictures, which Steven Spielberg directs?

Lucas: It's more of a traditional situation. I do the same thing, only I do less of it. Because ultimately, it's more Steve's vision than my vision, whereas Star Wars is really more my vision because I directed the first one. Steve directed the first Raiders. But again, the truth of it is that, even for a director like Steve and the directors on Star Wars, it's helpful to have a collaborator.

Scanlon: Of course, the two of you are very simpatico.

Lucas: He's a perfect director for me to work with. We just think the same way about everything. He'll go a little overboard one way, and I'll go overboard another way, but there's no conflict. There's nobody ramming ideas down the other person's throat. We have a great time together. He keeps saying it's my movie and I'll get blamed for it, and I keep saying it's his movie and he'll get blamed for it. I have no real desire to go out there and direct. It's not like I'm a producer who's sitting there waiting to direct behind somebody's back. I mean, I have no desire. I can do anything I want to do, and if I wanted to direct, I could go in there and direct. It's great to be able to throw out ideas. If they use them, fine. If they don't use them, big deal.

--"George Lucas Wants to Play Guitar as 'Star Wars' Takes a Vacation", Rolling Stone Magazine, 1983.

12. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I'm sure that others - like Lawrence Kasdan, director Irvin Kersher and other crew members - contributed heavily to the success of "Empire Strikes Back". But so did George Lucas.

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

This is basically it. I don't think anyone on the pro-Lucas side is trying to minimize the contributions of others. We're just trying to combat the laughably erroneous and ahistorical notion that Lucas was only a minor influence on the film.

14. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In a way I would say some on the pro-Lucas side are trying to minimize the contribution of others.
    Lucas is basically the ONLY artist that worked on the SW films, at least the only one who counts when it comes to rights..
    He and no one else should have the right to make what ever alterations he wants years after the fact. He is under no obligation to get their approval nor to preserve the original version.
    Kershner, Marquand, Kasdan, Williams, Hamill, Ford etc they have zero rights, they have no right to object over any alterations or have any means of stopping them.

This, to me, paints their contribution as something that Lucas can discard without hesitation or consideration. If he wants it gone, it is gone, no objections allowed.

Lucas was indeed a major influence on all SW films but I am hesitant to give him exclusive right to to alter it any way he wants, esp if the original versions are suppresed.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Movies are collaborative enterprises but there has to be one person who has final cut as the primary artist. This isn't unique to the Star Wars films. This is how pretty much literally every movie works. The cast and crew don't get together and vote on how the movie is going to be cut together. Again, that's now how it works, and you must know that. Come on, now.

Do you think the director of a single Mad Men episode had the ability to unilaterally override Matthew Weiner's creative decisions? Do you think that director even really had that much of a say at all, when it came right down to it?

oierem, Saga Explorer and JoshieHewls like this.
  16. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    And Robert Kirkman's creative control over The Walking Dead. Lucas can't be a special case when others aren't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He isn't. It is common everywhere. The only time an actor has any say is if they're a producer and even then, it isn't a guarantee. Sometimes you'll something like Sigourney Weaver wanting Ripley killed off in "Alien 3", because she didn't want to do "Aliens Vs Predator" and got it, or Leonard Nimoy having creative say on "Star Trek VI". Then there are times when you have Adrian Paul who wanted to have a producer role on "Highlander The Source" and have some say in how the script turned out, only for the draft that he had turned in be not used, because the script was already locked in and couldn't get it overhauled.

That's fine, he didn't need your permission. He already had the creative control and influence to do so.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    With riotous laughter!

[face_rofl]

These claimants really better NEVER and I mean NEVER actually find out anything about how TESB was made.

Then they can live in their la la fantasy land:

See the candy fairies, sugar-plums, jelly-beans, chocolate bars,
    Dance the minuet,
    With the candied cherries, lolly-pops, peppermints, candy-canes,
    As they pirouette,
    See the FAIRY PRINCESS curtsying, gracefully, beautifully,
    Swaying to the tune...
    Music in the air (so entrancing)
    Flowers in her hair (as she's dancing)
    Love is everywhere (Ah-h-h-h-h-h-h-h)
    'Neath the yellow lemon-drop moon.

19. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    If people believed the truth about anything the world would be a MUCH better place. And that applies to everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

20. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Not that I disagree, but I'm curious--are you talking about the '97 CGI or the '04 CGI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Most really smart people in charge of huge projects are pretty good at surrounding themselves with other very smart people whose abilities complement their own. TESB seems like a pretty good case in point.

22. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Read J. W. Rinzler's The Making of The Empire Strikes back, it will tell you everything you need to know about Lucas's involvement in it's making.

Qui-Riv-Brid and oierem like this.
  23. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Rinzlers makjng of books are amazing. I agree with you completely, if you have a ebook reader try to get those versions cause they have behind the scenez video and interviews with cast and crew. Also tons of Ralph Mcqaurrie artwork.

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think Lucas deserves as much credit as Kershner, Kasdan, Kurtz, and the actors. Plus, Lucas came up with plenty of good ideas for the film, such as Vader being Luke's father.

25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I actually have a lot of respect for Lucas for handing the film to Kershner to direct. As at the time Lucas was pretty worn out and ESB might not have been as good if the tired Lucas took the directors chair. However to the question at hand, I honestly feel Lucas, Kershner, Kasadan and Kurtz all had pretty equal footing when it came to making the film and each deserve equal credit.