main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII and... The Netherworlds?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Aug 16, 2013.

1. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    Well, as most of you know, over the past few days we have heard rumors swirling the net about the return of a couple of dead characters:

Obi Wan (Ewan McGregor)
    Palpatine (Ian McDarmid)
    Any more dead characters rumored to re appear will be added to the list.

Also attached to these rumors is the fact that these characters will be appearing as 'force ghosts'.

Obviously this has lead to much speculation about the role of these characters on the forums. Most notably is the speculation that the events in the living galaxy will run in parallel with the events in the 'Netherworlds' in the story, possibly leading up to a large battle between many of the most popular characters in the universe at the end of the trilogy.

Personally seeing the Netherworlds would add another degree of mystery and awe to the films, and would certainly unite both fans of the prequels and original trilogy.
    So what are your thoughts? Do you think we will venture into the Netherworlds? And which other dead characters do you wish to see?

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I do think this is beginning to make some sense to me. Take Mark Hamill's comments in the 80s that GL told him the ST would be more ethereal and now the rumors of Palpatine's spirit and Obi-Wan's Force ghost and it seems like it's all coming full circle finally. I think we're looking at a trilogy that will explore the Force in depth and hopefully what it means to be a Jedi and Sith.

whostheBossk, Dra---, Gobi-1 and 6 others like this.
  3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I think it has great potential. I'm all for exploring new avenues of the Star Wars universe. I want to see new ideas, new stuff, new concepts - and by that I don't just mean a new Darth or new trooper armor.
    Exploring the Force in more depth is something that seems like the perfect basis of the new trilogy, it fits in quite nicely with the general speculation that it will be (at least to some extent) about Luke teaching a new generation of Jedi.

I don't think that going in this direction threatens to contradict established facts or "cheapen" some elements of PT/OT. Quite the opposite, I think it has great potential to expand upon those concepts that the movies so far have just touched upon. As a result, hopefully, in the end we will view the previous movies with a deeper understanding of how the universe and the Force actually work.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    =D=

Joe Antonetti and HegoDamask like this.
  5. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I think this has tremendous potential if the final battle of good versus evil is fought on two fronts: the new generation versus Palpatines apprentice and his army and the battle of the force ghosts against Palpatine, Plagueis and maybe even the essence of Vader...

6. HegoDamask

Jul 18, 2013
    Heavy Speculation Approaching: With regards to the plot perhaps this Apprentice of Palpatine is trying to create a merge between the Galaxy and the Netherworlds, under his master's instructions, so all the Dead Sith Lords can return...

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That's an interesting notion, indeed.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    And, so, as people have also speculated, we might see Mortis again.

9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    For some reason when people say "A bunch of force ghosts fighting eachother" all I think of is something like this happening:

Bring on the army of force ghosts :p

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    If the ST decided to explore in-depth the Netherworld of the Force, I certainly wouldn't mind. I always found the nature of the Force one of the most fascinating aspects of Star Wars. There is just so much mystery to it; the Force may be described as a mystical energy field permeating the galaxy, but its true nature seemingly cannot be comprehended by mere mortals. It also has a will of its own. Any exploration of the nature of the Force that doesn't take away from its mystique I would definitely welcome! In a way, this is why I enjoyed the Mortis trilogy in TCW so much; that willingness to delve deeper into the enigmatic and esoteric nature of the Force.

Seeing Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor reprise their roles as ghosts from beyond the physical plane would just be icing on the cake!

11. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003

It definitely would be interesting. Ultimately Sidious' only concern is his own ascension to control. So that he'd be trying to pull the strings with some hope of eventually being installed as some sort of ruler isn't at all surprising.

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Perhaps our Protagonista will descend into Netherhell in order to close the box Plagueis and Palpatine opened several generations before. To put them away, for a while. I cannot help but think that she will have some special power or artifact, a key to lock the box, at the end of the hero's journey. Will she survive? And what could this thing be?

13. HegoDamask

Jul 18, 2013
    They could also pump so much fan-service into this if it is the finale of the Star Wars films..One final battle between every single Sith and Jedi that ever was... Just imagine seeing people like Revan, Bane and Plagueis among the ghosts... even if they don't say anything we as fans would go nuts.
    Also Abrams is known for his little details and easter eggs, seems like something he would do in this situation.

Apophis_, Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

Dunno about the "box"--do you mean the unbalancing of the Force?--but the "special artifact" was part of the early drafts (Kyber Crystal). And since Lucas enjoys recycling abandoned ideas, the special artifact might indeed return.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  15. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I don't want this cause it's drifting into Avengers territory and million other films where there is a portal between worlds that must be closed or not allowed to open. Even Howard the Duck used this device.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I want confirmation that "balance" isn't between Jedi and Sith.

Darth Archimage likes this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

No, between the light and dark sides of the Force. Lucas has always been explicit about this.

18. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    So Palpatine is Cthulhu??

Yes, it would be very interesting if they went Lovecraft for the new saga trilogy. No one would have seen it coming!

Please no Force Hell or Netherworlds!

Leave the strange dimensions to Thor!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I know. I was saying that I want it to be confirmed in-movie to dispel the misconception.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

Ah, gotcha. in that case, I agree.

21. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Just referencing Pandora' Box and the (unethical) science vs. Faith theme, with midi-chlorian manipulation, unnatural immortality, centered in narcissus and natural immortality, or transcendence, based on obedience to the Will of the Force.

The power could be something like a Force Promise to anoint someone, something or a people. Or the fulfillment of the prophecy. God's promise to Abraham, the savior, or Shiva's favor.

Dra--- and Count Yubnub like this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    In a "Force ghost fight", I just picture them throwing punches that just go right through each other and accomplish nothing.

23. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Right, that's why I'm for unnatural immortality, which means villains who can be destroyed, like Nazgul. One spirit to rule them all and to animate them, who cannot be completely destroyed, but put into abeyance only. Legions of dead clone and stormtroopers, brought back from the dead. Sith Nazgul, four horseman of the apocalypse. Used flesh reanimated. Sinbad and the Seven Seas skeleton warriors. It sounds fun to me.

Dra---, Darth Archimage and eht13 like this.
  24. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    So......a zombie army then?

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  25. HegoDamask

Jul 18, 2013
    I'm pretty sure Obi-wan puts his hand on Yoda's shoulder at the end of RotJ...
    [​IMG]