main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII and... The Netherworlds?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Aug 16, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What if Vader's a villain in them?

2. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Jar Jar: Luke! Misa going to talk to ya nowah!

Luke: Nooooooooooooooooooo! (Explodes from within)

3. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Sure, but just to make it clear - that was in the comic book Dark Empire by Tom Veitch. Timothy Zahn had nothing to do with it (he never liked the idea of the Emperor's return).

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And what about the new heroes? They sit on the sidelines and twiddle thumbs or what? I hope that the final epic confrontations are handled by the new heroes, not the dead ones. Otherwise this passing of torch thing makes no friggin sense.

Why the hell do we need Anakin as a major protagonist when he is dead? And why would we need Palpatine as a major villain? He already was humiliated and defeated.

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

I think you're right, P, that the writers are going to need to walk a tightrope, between using the right amount of the past and the right amount of the new. But the ST should have transitional elements in it just like the PT did for the OT. Also, we have the issue of whether or not the 9 part story can still be watchable in some sense as the Anakin Skywalker story. If Lucas and the others decide that they do want some aspect of Anakin in there, force ghosts give them the perfect opportunity.

Dead is not exactly final in SW, and it never has been. I don't see this as a problem, but as adding more tension and difficulty to the journey.

Immortiss and StoneRiver like this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I agree about the transitional element. But I don't think you need to bring every character back you can to forge a connection between the new and the old.

The saga could be turned into the "Skywalker saga". OT wasn't Anakins story anyways, no matter what Lucas said.

Some ghosts are okay btw., but bringing in Yoda and old Ben too when they are dead and when Luke has taken their position in the story is totally unnecessary. I can understand bringing back Palpatine as an explanation how there could be another Sith (he taught him), and I can understand bringing Anakin in as a helpful spirit, because he has relevant dark side knowledge. But Yoda and Ben are just Jedi.

And all the heavy lifting should still fall to the new heroes.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  8. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    As I wrote in the Obi-Wan thread, it's not necessarily a given that the SW story remains Anakin's. remember, in 1977, it was Luke's story. In 1999, it became Anakin's. In 2015, it could become Obi-Wan's.

TigerCraneFist: thanks for clearing it up. In any event, I don't like the ideas of: a) resurrections; b) cloned OT characters; c) the return of Boba Fett; or, d) White Vader.

I realize that may mean I am on the wrong thread.

9. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    By the time Episode XIII rolls around, there's going to be an awful lot of Force Ghosts lurking about.

10. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    Just to clarify, the part of my speculation suggests that if a bridge between the Nether and Galaxy is formed, the Sith/ Jedi of the Nether would be able to return in their actual forms.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    Interesting, but there are a lot of assumptions in there. Sounds complicated for the average fan.

We had dinner last night with another couple, and SW came up. I didn't mention my passion, so I heard the guy out. His understanding of SW was so basic that I left thinking, "That's what the majority of viewers know."

In these boards, we tend to over complicate things.

12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Agreed.
    While many theories here are interesting, I think the passions are running a bit too hot. We still don't know anything, all of this is pure imagination - not even proper speculation :p
    I understand people's strong convictions about what the ST should be, but beware of forming your own uncompromising view too early on. To a dark place this will lead you.

Something that might sound as a silly idea on paper, might very well be very well done in the final product, and vice versa. Keep an open mind ;)

Trebor Sabreon and Lord TW like this.
  13. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    OT was Luke's story when it came out...... Became part of the Anakin story with the PT.... Not that you didn't know that.;)

If I had it my way, the only ghost we would see in the ST would be Luke in Ep. VIII and IX, but I never get my way......

As far as the new heroes go, we need to remember that there has always been dual conflicts in Star Wars, and if the Plageuis/Palps/Anakin Netherworld thing were to happen, it would constitute the "Force" conflict, while the other heroes would be handling the "Political" conflict. Just as Luke handled the "Force" issues in the OT and Han/Leia took on the "Political" stuff. In the PT it was Anakin and Obi on the "Force" side and Padme on the "political.

No time for thumb twiddling......:cool: That side just wasn't part of the discussion.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Just because Lucas said that doesn't mean the everybody bought into it. For a long period of time Star Wars was "the adventures of Luke Skywalker." Recently even Lucas seems to have dropped the hilarious claim that the entire saga was about Anakin.

Padmé was a total side character both in AOTC and ROTS, so yea. If the new heroes are only as important as Padmé was in the PT I'll be hugely disappointed.
    I also don't know what political stuff you are talking about in the OT. What political stuff? I only remember military operations in ROTJ. In the finale of ROTJ, however, Han and Leia did have diminished roles compared to Luke, as he was the main protagonist. Disabling a shield generator can't be as exciting as facing the Emperor and Darth Vader in one epic confrontation.

15. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Darth_Pevra

Clearly watching the OT it's Luke's story, but watching from Ep I it's part of Anakin's story simply by the order of events, not just because Lucas said. He has contradicted almost everything he has ever said about Star Wars. I don't think we disagree on this, just saying it differently.

Can't argue that Padme wasn't all that important other than being part of Anakins downfall and mother of he twins..... But the war itself was certainly a big part of the story. I'm not saying the new characters will be as important (or not) as Padme, but rather that that would be involved in the political counterpart of the story.

Political stuff in the OT was Rebellion vs. The Empire........ No?

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Even Episode I seems to be Qui Gons story more than it is Anakins (they only meet Anakin half-way into the movie). Later the role of main protagonist seems to fall to Obi-Wan, as he does stuff that is actually relevant for the current war. Only in ROTS does Anakin really take center position.

So even when you only take the PT into account, Lucas claim seems hilariously wrong.

Who says there even is a political part? I want to see the new heroes go against the new villains, whoever they are, not debate with some senators. Again, I say the new characters should carry the story and take part in the most important battles. They shouldn't have to rely on a dead man to take the main evil out for them.

And when? A little bit in ANH but aside from that there wasn't a political element.

17. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Darth_Pevra (I just figured out how to do this, and like it better than quoting long quotes because I always mess up the tags.....)

Aside from introducing Anakin to the story, Qui-Gon is surely the most important character in Ep. I, and perhaps the most important Jedi in the Saga.

Nobody has said there is a political part in the ST as of yet, but it is a recurring element of the story.

Death Star Battle, Battle at Hoth, Endor, Stealing plans, shuttles, and security codes are all part of the political conflict of the OT.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You kinda mix up political and military elements. All of what you mentioned where military objectives/operations. The only scenes that are really political that I can think of is when Tarkin tells the officers on the DS that the senate had been disbanded and when Vader has his first conversation with Leia.

I guess there's also the walk with Lando at Bespin where he jabbers about his accomplishments, but I am not sure that counts.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't think "Adventures of Luke Skywalker" and "Tragedy of Darth Vader" are mutually exclusive. And I love politics and don't care for action.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I actually like space politics, I loved Babylon 5, but the PT version didn't impress me. I think for Space Politics to work you have to give an inside look into the different parties involved, to see what motivates them and all that jazz. But this isn't easy when you only got, idk, 7 hours and have to fit in lightsaber battles, explosions and so on too.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I can tell you why this idea is stuck in your head, it's likely that you've already seen it -- in Pirates OTC Part 3. I sure as hell hope LFL isn't ripping off crappy pirate movies for their ideas.

You owe me one farm. LOL Vader wearing white armor. That's awful. I can see it now, "Luke, join me and together we'll save the galaxy together as father and son . . . one hug at a time."

I seriously hope you don't want or expect to see that crap because I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Politics can be just as dynamic as a lightsaber duel if properly written and directed.

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, but again, there's not much time to properly set everything up. Action, new characters and world building will have higher priority than space politics.

24. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    Seems that a lot of the complaints about the PT were that it was "too political." I don't know how you have something called "Star WARS" without getting into the motivations and history leading up to the war. If the PT hadn't have included politics, critics would have said it was brainless action fodder like Transformers. In other words, it was difficult to please any of them.

Immortiss likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Instead we got brainless politics where nothing makes sense. To this day Palpatines plot in TPM leaves me completely baffled as it makes no sense whatsoever. Politics don't automatically add depth, especially when they are so badly handled. Embarrassingly bad compared to Babylon 5, even if that series has some flaws of its own.

Real human drama. That is whats needed in Star Wars. Just like in the good ol' times.

Dra--- likes this.