main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    This popped up in the Release Date thread, so I went ahead and started it. How does everyone feel VII will do in 2015? How do you think it will compete against such blockbusters as Superman VS Batman and Avengers: Age of Ultron?

Josh7797445 and Random Comments like this.
  2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I forsee around 1.2 billion (at the very lowest $800 million). It will no doubt make a bunch of money but I forsee nostalgia/SW name not being enough to break 1.5 billion (let alone get near 2 billion). Now I think episoide 8 (depending on the success of episode 7* will do MUCH better (probably will get around 1.5+)

Now for its competition: IMO Avengers 2 will be its main competition (if its going to get a May release) and the race is going to be very tight. Its basicly establishment (star wars) vs momentum (Avengers is a very fast moving and growing franchise) and TBH...I think Avengers will make more simply cause of how popular superhero franchises are, how big the first film was, and the fact that it will have had over 3 years of buildup. Star wars 7 mostly has its nostalgia to back it up and when its going up against Mr. MCU (which is currently the 3rd highest grossing franchise. Yes...above Star Wars) IDK how much that will help. They're both gunna make boat loads of money and I think Avengers 2 will only win by a tiny fraction so dont flame me.

Josh7797445 likes this.
  3. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Wow the ticker is back. lol My prediction is will get around 500-700 million. I think it will get numbers close to Avengers 2,but be just below the Batman vs Superman movie.

Josh7797445 likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Okay this is getting ridiculous... another countdown clock! I'm calling it... conspiracy!!

As for the box office for Episode VII, I see it breaking numerous records and smashing its competition into the dust! I'm going to guess around 5 bil. :p

Josh7797445 likes this.
  5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Honestly, I don't care about such data. It will earn a bunch, because it's Star Wars.
    It'll earn a bunch more if it's good Star Wars.

As a viewer, I have no interest whatsoever in gabajazillions of dollars that these sort of movies earn. And to be honest it really annoys me that the new trend among review sites seems to be comparing movie earnings as if that is the real measure of their quality and they give "Box Office Stats" the same headline value as to an article that objectively reviews the movie's merits and faults.

Josh7797445, Rabs, StoneRiver and 2 others like this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Geez, enough with the countdown clocks, guys. ;)

Anyway, one of the things I always think is important is to keep things in perspective when looking at box office take... meaning the "adjusted for inflation" or "number of actual tickets sold" numbers.

Josh7797445 likes this.
  7. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  8. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
  9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought about reactivating that archived thread, but figured we may as well use this thread now.

Joe Antonetti : Did you intend to put that countdown clock there? Just seeing if we have a glitch since Seagoat said he didn't intend to put that other one in his thread.

Josh7797445 likes this.
  10. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Yes, this countdown clock was intentional. :p

Josh7797445 and Random Comments like this.
  11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Unfortunately, this is how it is and star wars will have the eyes of the world on it. Will ot do more than Avengers 2 ? Hell no, but by moving the date to decemeber it stands a much better chance to make money. In the end, not only do we want star wars to be good and do good, but in order for it to be considered succesful, its got to make a billion dollars unadjusted. We all know this. The problem is that Abrahams or whatever he's name is, is no Wheddon. Star Wars is still recovering from the prequels in which many consider the movies garbage. True it made money, but not what it was supposed to do unfortunately. TPM made a billion dollars unadjuested with the re-release but argueably is considered the worst billion dollar making movie of the entire club. So take it for what its worth. Its good news if they move the movie until december. If you think that december is not a good month, just take a look at the recent Hobbit movie from peter Jackson. It made over a billion dollars.

Josh7797445 likes this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    In many ways, this star wars is a very important movie because its the start of a new franchise by a new owner. It will supply new stories to the EU and more importantly re-invigorate the line and move it away from the clone wars and stuff like that. Things changed a lot from the last star wars movies. We now have avatar with its 2 billion dollar box office, Titanic has increased its money even more on the re-release, Avengres destroyed the box office and now stands at number 3 both domestic and international in cume. Marvel has been purchased by Disney, and their Marvel cinematic universe is kicking arse and its ony going to get better.

Josh7797445 likes this.
  13. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    It needs to be bigger than everything else that year.
    If it isn't then anticipate a reduction or postponement of the announced spin off movies that are supposed to be in the works.

Josh7797445 and Gallandro like this.
  14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If EP7 is a good movie & have a tomato metre of around 82% & has an imdb score of around 8.1 to 8.4 then in a release date of late May then about $1.4 billion worldwide
    however a July release date would bring in $1.7 billion & a December release date would bring in $ 1.9 - 2 billion............this is based on the competition EP7 will receive .

BB-8 My Homework likes this.
  15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, thanks for letting me know.

16. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I predict Ep VII will make "100 Billion Dollars!!!" (Said in Dr. Evil voice) ;)

17. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I predicted this before, but to sum it up I can foresee E7 breaking all kinds of box office records. There's a real chance, barring the questionable casting of Effron & Gosling, for Disney to make its 4 Billion back with this one movie . . . of course also counting merchandising.

18. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I think that this movie will make "boat loads" of money.

Echo-07 likes this.
  19. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I've studied every Star Wars movie at the box office and they all did phenomenal. One of the biggest reason is cause Star Wars films have huge repeat viewings. For all the hate "Menace" gets people went back to watch it over and over again. "Episode VII" is a lock for over 400 Million and over 700 Million OS. 1 Billion Worldwide is a lock. The Question is how high can it go. If it's really good I think the sky's the limit. Here's the full box office breakdown of the Saga:

http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwars.htm

20. Hardware

Hardware Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2013
    It will only make 46 cents.

MyDarkstar and Sith-Mullet like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    My line for Star Wars level success in the inflated box office blockbuster era is a billion dollars. Anything under that I would deem less of a success. "Failure" on a Star Wars episode level is under the 500 million dollar mark. Only 300 million would be a Star Wars Episode bomb level. 800 million range is just okay. (all that being said, anything above 300 mil is where they hit green so comparing regular blockbuster numbers to Star Wars blockbuster bar is a different level)

Still think Avengers will outgross it.

Theoretical: Star Wars makes 1.4 billion dollars. Avengers makes 1.8 billion dollars. You really think Disney will start delaying / pulling the plug on more Star Was when both of their movies made that much money? Just because of pole position? Over a billion! Each!

22. Yensid1974

Yensid1974 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    I am not going to make a guess until I hear some casting news. If the Big3 are indeed in it (which I as well as others are pretty sure), and they select a good bunch of other actor/actresses for the rest of the roles that will have an impact in and of itself. We start seeing clips of them, or even just things like the droids, the Falcon, etc... it will increase the take as well I believe. Then, of course if it turns out to be a the very least a good movie that will propel it from doing well (which it will almost regardless) into the 1.5 billion+ range for sure.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm gonna flat-out channel Rick McCallum and say something bold: If Star Wars episode 7 is released in December it will make more than than it will being released in the summer. THERE! I said it!

Darth Claire likes this.
  24. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Where is Rick McCallum? I remember seeing a youtube video and he was talking to the audience and out of left field he blurts out... "You guys are f♥€#ing awesome. The audience erupted with approval.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

You are totally correct Summer = $ 1.5 billion worldwide December = $ 2.0 billion................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.