main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    With the recent holds yes I think $930M or above is perfectly realistic. It will just take forever as it gets each $5M lol

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    A spike in theaters sometime in March should get it very close to $930 at least. It will likely be very very close to $920 million by February 21.

3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah my original random number I pulled out of my butt a month ago was $922M. It should get past that!

The number I have always wanted is at least $918M or so though because that's twice what Avengers 2 made, which some people completely wrongly thought would be the biggest movie of 2015 (l-o-l).

PPZVGOS and raefinnpoe like this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Just wonder if a future re-release will ever see it hit the magical $1bn.

Also can anyone see another movie reach these heights in the next 5 years? I don't think the Avatar sequels or any Marvel films have a hope of going north of $900m. Only chance I'd say is another SW movie but even that's highly unlikely. EpVIII would need to have the best marketing campaign ever & gushingly positive reviews. I predict this domestic record will stand for 10+ years.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    some people thought 918 might be its ww gross lol

as for anyone beating 920-930 (which i think it will end at) the only movie i would want to do it is another star wars movie. lol

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I agree. The record will stand a decade at least. The domestic crown has only been held by 5 movies including TFA in the last 39 years: Star Wars, ET, Star Wars again, Titanic, Avatar, and TFA. It's pretty rarely a record that breaks and this distance placed between TFA and anything else is substantial.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Star Wars movies are the recurring theme. That's where the record belongs :cool:

raefinnpoe likes this.
  8. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    didnt jurrasic park overtake E.T?

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Some movie that we have no idea of yet will be the one to challenge TFA for the top spot.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It will need to something amazing. Probably another technically groundbreaking movie like Avatar.

TX-20 and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    awesome avatar force smuggler.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed.
    Thanks.

13. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Entourage 2: The Legend of Ari's Gold

14. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    torgo goes to hell: the final manos hands of fate

'thats not how you use a thigh master togo!'

TX-20 likes this.
  15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    No. I'm not sure why this is a common thought, perhaps because Jurassic Park was #1 worldwide? But it wasn't really that close in North America. A stone's throw, I suppose, but E.T. sat at $399.8M for a while, and was so, so close to being the first movie ever to make $400M, but that honor belongs to Star Wars when ANH: SE claimed the crown again in 1997 and achieved its current gross. E.T. was one of the longest reigns at #1 having been the highest grossing movie from 1982 to 1997.

16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yup, Jurassic Park never made it to no.1 domestically, it did make it to no.1 worldwide though, and by a significant margin at that. Here is further proof that ET remained at the top until the SE came around ;)

[​IMG]

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  17. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    oh wow thats the first time ive ever seen that et/r2 thing. thats awesome. :)

18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    That picture momentarily made me think, ah the good old days when Star Wars was number one - oh wait a minute that's right we are again. Lol.

raefinnpoe likes this.
  19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    LOL

yeah i did get the domestic/worldwide confused on jurrasic park btw.

i dont remember seeing that E.T./R-2 one but i do remember the ANH characters sinking on the titanic.....

20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Looks like 0.628 million for TFA on Wednesday. Lowest day yet and of the week, but ah well. Everything else was also WAY down, like Kung Fu Panda basically tanked on Wednesday somehow to down below $1M. TFA looks like it was perhaps one of the best holds.

Ricardo Funes and raefinnpoe like this.
  21. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    so will be around 2.5 to 2.7 mon thru thurdsay.

be somewhere around 908.6 or 908.7 going into friday

22. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I know at this point we're just talking about details and box office that isn't highly relevant to the big picture since the big picture was decided long ago, but why do you guys think TFA performed this way relative to other movies during the week?

It's really baffling to me how one movie can just kind of do its own thing. So it had the smallest bump on Tuesday by far of any film in the top 10, but then it had also BY FAR the lowest decrease from Tuesday to Wednesday (probably owing to its small increase from Mon to Tues). Still, why would that be the case? I mean I'd love to say something like, "It's still playing in IMAX so IMAX tickets are never discounted on Tuesdays," which is true, but that doesn't really explain why in the past it has increased on Tuesday more than it did this week, haha. It seems a totally random thing.

23. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    interesting that panda is already under a million on the weekdays. guess its petering out in just week 3.

24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Consistency. At this point, it has leveled out.

25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Might have something to do with the audience. If it plays more like a family-movie and is thus bigger in matinees as well, then it won't get as much out of discount Tuesday as the movies that run better in the evening do. This also means the drop on Wednesday would be lower, because the discount-bump that has fallen away makes less of a difference. At least that is what makes the most sense to me.

It has shown the same behaviour the past few weeks as well, always getting the worst* bump on Tuesday but best* drop on Wednesday.

* = not 100% exact

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.