main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    TFA will likely be regarded as the best SW movie since ROTJ and most likely the best since ESB. There will be some that say it's the best of the bunch but most likely up there with ANH and ESB. From the plot spoilers, there's much more of a serious tone to it than the first two prequels and ROTJ.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The kind of impact that Frozen had on little girls when it came out? Star Wars hasn't had that kind of impact on children since 1977-1980. TPM never made that kind of a push into little kids' brains.

3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I see why your viewpoint is so wildly off base if you are comparing Marvel movies with a show on Disney channel and making that your rationalization for why Marvel is bigger than SW with kids; that's pretty hilarious.

SW hasn't had a movie in 10 years, yet cartoons of it on the Disney channel get good kid ratings, and toys still fly off the shelf to this day. Wait until SW gets a new movie and merchandise, and it really will be off the hook.

BTW, I like the way you continue to make all of these claims about what kids like or don't like with no substantiation. So, according to you, there is a conspiracy to make SW look popular among kids by false ratings and millions of toys that are bought by adults that kids truly don't like (LMAO, conspiracy of your own mind, wishful thinking). Interestingly, along with these failed attempts to debunk hard numbers supporting kids' interest in SW, you offer NO evidence to support your own point of view that kids DON'T like SW (aside from your anecdotal claims of kids you know, which are goofy and meaningless). So where is the evidence that kids DON'T like SW? Give some meaningful, tangible evidence (and BTW, rating or sales showing kids DO like certain things aren't evidence kids DON'T like SW). You won't because there is none.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  4. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    We went to see Age of Ultron today at the local Santikos IMAX 19. We saw it on regular 2D.

No trailer for TFA. Hmmm....very interesting.

There were NO posters for any movie in the entire theater except for Inside Out. I mean NO advertising for any movie. What is going on in theaters? Have people actually seen posters inside the theater in the past 6 months? Seems very strange and kind of ominous that they aren't even putting up any movie posters or displays in theaters (and this was a LARGE theater with all modern facilities as well as a coffee shop, restaurant, arcade, and ice cream center.

5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Movie theaters here where I live are plastered with posters of all kinds of movies that are coming out. Mad Max posters are the dominant ones at the moment, though.

6. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Kids still love Star Wars. Its a lot of competition out there, sure, but as i mentioned earlier in this thread, Star Wars literally saved Lego from going bankrupt.

Now. These kids in the video are having a good time, only need mum to catch up now with the fun now...

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Episode 7 will be fine at the box office and will cross the billion dollar marker. This sequel trilogy of movies will be very good and make money. Everyone will watch it from old to young to the skeptics and with China a super power in box office money, yeah things look good. Marvel Age of Ultron is a fantastic movie and the series is turning into one big super money maker. The sequel trilogy will be the same way.

8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Re posters etc. Disney have said they don't want to over-saturate. I think that's quite wise. By December everyone will know SW7 is coming out, no worries on that front.

9. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I was thinking more in terms of movie posters in general. I didn't expect to see a TFA poster. But no Jurassic World, Ant-Man, Terminator, Tomorrowland, Fantastic Four, Minions, and, believe it or not, no Age of Ultron posters AT ALL yesterday. Just one poster for Inside Out in the entire theater. Sure, they had those small little TV screens but they mostly showed something for Poltegeist 2 and some movie that is a sequel with a bunch of punked-out high school girls.

Maybe this is a Santikos policy?

Satipo likes this.
  10. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Looking at how quickly Avengers 2 and Fast 7 broke $1B, I've come to believe that TFA has a good chance of getting close to and possibly surpassing Avatar's gross. I don't think any movie will get close to Gone With The Wind's inflated total though if any movie could do it, it would be Star Wars.

Lee_ likes this.
  11. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    AOU making $450 million overall domestically would either give TFA a solid chance to be the biggest movie released in 2015 or be indication that people just aren't going to the movies as much as they did 3 years ago, thus spelling uncertainty for TFA's box office numbers.

Mad Max made $44 million this weekend. That's kind of, eh.

12. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Keep in mind Mad Max is an R rated action movie. That $40-50 million range opening weekend ain't bad. Ultimately, its success is probably going to be determined by its worldwide box office gross anyway.

sizziano and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    it's not bad for an R rated movie, but it makes that $150 million production budget seem kind of pricey.

14. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I kind of like that the box office tallies are becoming a bit more leveled lately. It makes for a much more competitive field.

15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Dont see how they justified a 150 million dollar price tag for an R rated movie.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    If you look at the competition though, it was a tough week to debut. The critical review is off the charts, and the viewer satisfaction is really high. I am going to bet that it has some box office longevity.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    You mean become one of the biggest hits of all time, a massive box office and merchandising success that was popular with audiences across generational lines that still continues to this day that created a whole new generation of Star Wars fans and took the Star Wars brand back to mainstream prominence from simply a very healthy fan stream?

All these things it did and that TFA is hoping to do.

The only real difference is that TFA could have is if YOU like it.

That certainly is what some people who for them the last 4 movies didn't do it for them.

Now I point this out because for someone like myself who thinks all 6 movies are great I would say the chances that I at the very least like the movie and find it enjoyable are very high. For people in the former category why do they really think that they will ever love TFA or any of the new movies like the first two? I think the chances they are going to find something wrong are pretty good to say the least!

They are the people who unfortunately for them have now been waiting 35 years!! for a Star Wars movie they love.

A lot of them also seem to tie in box office success with a movie being good, really good etc. except of course in the case of the prequels. Somehow they are an exception 3 times over to that idea.

How ridiculous that assertion is doesn't even occur to them.

To put it into context TPM is still the 5th highest grossing domestic fill of all-time, ROTS 22nd and AOTC 44th. (AOU is on track for approx 500M).

As a franchise only the MCU (with currently 11 films in the modern age) and Harry Potter (with 8 films in the modern age) are ahead of it in total domestic gross compared to just the 6 films (with 3 of them being done in an entirely different age of movies).

18. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    No. I mean being a critically-acclaimed film that's also universally beloved by fans, which would've caused TPM to make even more money than it ended up with and properly excite fans for Episodes II and III.

Yes, TPM made a lot of money, and a lot of fans either like or love it, including yourself. However, it was also the beginning of Star Wars really dividing the fanbase. So, yes, I hope TFA becomes what TPM should've been. You don't have to like what I'm saying, but that's how many Star Wars fans feel.

2015 is Disney's golden opportunity to give us what we should've experienced back in '99. I have a feeling they're gonna deliver.

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    ANH is the only largely critically-acclaimed film upon release and in a family fun way not in any "serious" way.

That did not happen to TESB or ROTJ on release. Not until years later and that was fanbase and fan critic driven.

As for being universally beloved by fans the only ones we can actually ascribe that to as of now are ANH in the first place and TESB in follow-up years.

Mostly that is. Totally universally? No, but close enough.

It's pretty hard to make more money than TPM did. No movie domestically had ever made more on one release than Titanic in 1997. ANH was only ahead of it (in straight up dollars) due to multiple releases and especially the SE release.

For TFA to have a equivalent box office impact in the NA it will have to make Avengers 1 money. The critics overall really gave Avengers in 2012 extremely high marks and TPM in 1999 low marks. So for all the critical praise for the one and not for the other didn't raise it to an equivalent Titanic 2012 level but to a TPM one.

Critics just are not that important. It's nice to have them but not necessary as TESB and ROTJ showed.

If you love TFA but it only makes a billion dollars and it gets mixed reviews and a bunch of critics rip it for being a rehash of old ideas will that really matter to you?

It seems then you wanted TPM to be something it was never going to be. A sequel to the OT as opposed to the prequels that they are.

The new fanbase created by the PT isn't "divided" on them in as much as any fanbase in divided on any movies or TV series (which is normal).

The basic problem for some Star War fans seems to me to be that they don't transfer their experience of other fandoms to Star Wars itself.

In the case of other movies and TV series they have a lot more to work with than simply 6 core movies. Sure there are the animated series and books and comics but the overall shared experience is the 6 core movies.

As a Doctor Who fan I've seen it for years. The divide between this era of the show and another. When the new series came some people thought that everything should be sweetness and light but then it wasn't then new Doctors came and new producers and some people liked this more than that and so on.

"However, it was also the beginning of Star Wars really dividing the fanbase."

Not at all. That started with TESB and got "worse" with ROTJ then the SE's then TPM, AOTC, ROTS and will be the same with TFA to some degree more or less. I certainly thnk that TFA will benefit from a honeymoon period that will not apply to the following movies to the same degree.

All that means to me then is that I got that in 1977, 1999 and then again in 2015.

There is really an easy way to have the above happen to you or anyone else as well.

Fall in love or at least like with the prequels later just like all those fans who fell in love (or like) with TESB and ROTJ years and years after the fact.

It doesn't matter if you come late to the party just come to the party and have some fun.

sizziano likes this.
  20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Looks like Tomorrowland will be another non competitor for the most successful movie of 2015. The critics seem to think it's missed the mark with a preachy message about optimistic futurism and a listless plot. I always root for original si fi fantasy action adventure, and I'm sure this one will benefit from a Disney brand in the middle of a new golden age of itself, but critically it's not going to be another Fury Road.

It will be interesting to see how well the movie does outside the U.S.

21. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    TFW will be the biggest first run money making star wars movie of the series. It will be the first to cross the billion dollar marker without re-release like TPM. The people who like the PT, the OT, TCW, the haters, the old EU lovers, the diehards, and the curious are all going to watch this movie one way or another come December. And who wouldn't, first we all know there was never suppose to be another star wars movie and the fact that a number 7, a true number is coming out has got everyone's interest piqued. Less then 7 months away from release and we don't know everything there is about the movie, unlike the prequels where we had an idea were things had to go. This is a fun time. Will it surpass Avatar? well, lets not get carried away by this yet. Avatar is an awesome movie with close to 3 billion dollars. Titanic is second with over 2 billion which is another monster. I'll be happy if it can just cross the billion dollar marker making it the first true star wars movie to do it, not depend on re-release or adjusted inflation figures to substantiate the feat. To date there are 21 movies to accomplish this and only one star wars movie to do it..........and despite the money that movie made..........it has not sat well with the critics and some of the fans. Not everyone dug, or digs the mesa me Jar Jar Binks, or the ridiculous roger roger, and yippee, yippee, or the trade federation baloney...."Now, they are two of them?" Yeah some of you get the picture. With TPM 3-D re-release, it was considered a bomb, but in actuality it should be a success after the shellacking that that particular movie took. I believe that TCW series attributed to people wanting to go and see the movie anyway (rebirth of Darth Maul), the curiosity of the kids to want to see it, but nothing else. It is not nostalgic by every stretch of the imagination.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think TFA will ultimately end up at #3 on this list. It's interesting that Avengers AOU seems to be stalled a bit, not likely to match Avengers 1 and probably only end up passing Iron Man 3 on this list. I wonder if Furious 7 will end up passing Avengers 1 before it's all done. Also, unadjusted for inflation as this list is, only TPM is in the Top 20 for SW; the list is going to have a lot more SW on it in the next five years.

RankTitleStudioWorldwideDomestic / %Overseas / %Year^
    1AvatarFox$2,788.0$760.527.3%$2,027.572.7%2009^
    2TitanicPar.$2,186.8$658.730.1%$1,528.169.9%1997^
    3Marvel's The AvengersBV$1,518.6$623.441.0%$895.259.0%2012
    4Furious 7Uni.$1,488.8$343.823.1%$1,145.076.9%2015
    5Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2WB$1,341.5$381.028.4%$960.571.6%2011
    6FrozenBV$1,274.2$400.731.4%$873.568.6%2013
    7Iron Man 3BV$1,215.4$409.033.7%$806.466.3%2013
    8Avengers: Age of UltronBV$1,142.5$372.032.6%$770.567.4%2015
    9Transformers: Dark of the MoonP/DW$1,123.8$352.431.4%$771.468.6%2011
    10The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the KingNL$1,119.9$377.833.7%$742.166.3%2003^

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Furious 7 looks done. I think its run in China is over, so I don't know where it's going to get the audience to clear the Avengers hurdle. Maybe it will crawl over the $1.5 billion line.

I just don't see $1 billion for TFA outside the U.S. AOU may not make it. Furious 7 may be the only movie to do it in the next 3 years. I don't see any automatic, "if Furious 7 can do it, any movie can do it." There's no reason to believe it works that way. Furious 7 was special to the Chinese, for reasons that aren't clear.

24. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't want to push it that far yet EHT, star wars has not done what Avatar or Titanic did. Too many times we have to depend on re-releases and adjusted for inflation debates to justify a point when in reality we just need this movie to open big on first run and make and cross the billion marker. Where it stops is anybody's guess, but to say it will get to the number 3 spot is a little too much. Marvel Avengers Assemble was a powerful movie, and Fast and the Furious 7 was another work horse that its final cume is far from over. TPM was suppose to reach close to Titanic and it made half of it when everything was said and done. In the re-release it crossed the billion dollar marker unadjusted to close out at $1.027 billion. I am happy about that because at least one movie did cross the fold unadjusted (subject to debate due to 1999 dollars as opposed to 2012's), and would give GL his first ever movie with that gross which I always felt that he deserved.

It is my hope that eventually Disney re-releases the prequels in 3-D and ROTS gets over the billion dollar marker and eventually then onto A New Hope the granddaddy of them all. That one would really add more money into its coffers and who knows could muster enough to pass Gone With the Wind. Okay that one is a far stretch.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Which is why I said, "I think TFA will ultimately end up at #3 on this list." But I do think it will probably be able to pass the others on there.

TK327 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.