main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    So X-Men Apocalypse was not well-reviewed and brought in lower-than-expected box office returns... I wonder if Jennifer Lawrence's snobbish and aloof behavior off the screen had a part to do with that (success gone to her head already)? Resulting in many moviegoers not wanting to have anything to do with that X-Men film!

Speaking of X-Men in general, maybe it's just me but the movies don't seem complete without this one iconic character in them - Wolverine, as played by Hugh Jackman! He's what brings the charisma and impetus to any X-Men movie and I can safely say that when Wolverine returns to the big screen, the next film will soar!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

2. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Well. I did enjoy Apocalypse, although reviews have been all over the place. Estimates for international market are now in and they look promising- also, you go watch the movie yourself and think twice about what you just did write regarding a certain character. :)

The big story internationally this weekend centers on X-Men: Apocalypse, which opened on 20,596 screens in 75 markets ahead of its domestic release next weekend and brought in $103.3 million. The film finished #1 in 71 markets and delivered the largest Fox opening weekend ever in six of them—Philippines ($4.9m), India ($3.5m), Indonesia ($3.1m), Singapore ($3m), Thailand ($2.7m) and Colombia ($1.9m). Additional market results include $10.5 million from the UK, which leads all international markets in release this weekend, followed by Mexico ($8.6m), Brazil ($6.6m), Russia ($6.5m) and France ($5.9m). The markets currently in release make up 64% of the international marketplace and, by comparison, X-Men: Days of Future Past brought in $100 million from the same markets based on current exchange rates.
    Apocalypse arrives in over 4,000 domestic theaters over next weekend's four-day Memorial Day holiday as well as releases in South Korea this Wednesday, May 25, followed by China on June 3 and Japan on August 11.

3. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    jeesh not coming out in japan for 2 and a half months? weird.

yeah i didnt think at 103 million was a bad international take. not awesome but not horrible.

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I loved the last two Star Trek movies and so did literally everyone else on planet earth except for about 4.569 die hard ST fans. I gave the first an A and Into Darkness an A+, one of the best action movies with some meat to it as well in the last 5 years. You can check the reviews and the audience reaction - just like TFA there was no split decision or mixed reception. Movies don't come more universally liked than those. I'm sorry the nerdy Klingon speaking dorks don't like Into Darkness because it messes with their precious time line or whatever nerdy reason it was they gave but to the rest of us Star Trek as a franchise is for the dorkiest of dorks and finally became somewhat cool when JJ took over. These fans are just angry anyone actually likes Star Trek now. That wasn't the case before. It was irrelevant.

Not a great decline for Captain America but solid enough I suppose. I love the rest of the world repeatedly getting big movies before us in the country where they're made for absolutely no reason whatsoever. It was a big deal 10-15 years ago when movies starting coming out NOT 1-2 months late overseas but finally day and date worldwide. Very cool. Then suddenly it becomes we are the last to get our own movies?! Huh??? Wait another 10 years and we will get them 1-2 months late or not at all. Lol

5. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i mean TFA was out in europe like only 2 days earlier now movies coming out a full week earlier lol

6. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Looks like most movie studios are looking at China and the rest-of-the-world for film openings... Because that's where the box office revenue now comes from, even if the studios themselves are based in the USA! :p

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Does it also have something to do with Piracy? By opening the movie in China before the US, the movie has less competition from high quality bootlegs that are easy to find in China.

8. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Oh yes, that's true also... Sad to say, our Asia-Pacific region is somewhat infamous as a pirated movie hotspot and I think that's the strategy by the movie studios, in a way!

I guess by opening a new movie in the Asia-Pacific will mean less opportunity for good quality bootlegs produced by those syndicates... And at the same time, delaying release in the USA will mean that people who want to stream movies illegally (you guys have insane download speeds, am I correct?) also cannot do so! =D=

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Marvel has opened movies one week earlier elsewhere for quite some time now, that isn't really something new. Thor and The Avengers already came out one week earlier than in the USA in 2011 and 2012. Japan, meanwhile, has always been a complete outlier when it comes to release-dates. That country has very specific dates which offer a far better run than generic start-dates, and you gain far more by adhering to those dates than by trying a worldwide release at the same time.

And when it comes to China, you have to hope you are allowed to release your movie in the first place. Not much freedom to choose for the studios, as certain dates are blocked and releases are generally limited to four week runs only.

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    So the numbers are official:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/first-suicide-squad-review-call-it-insane-and-amazing/

Civil War stayed under 60% which needed to do to still keep $400 million doable. At $347 million, it's a forgone conclusion it's knocking Deadpool out of the top slot. $375 million seems very likely so the question now again is will it top $400 million? I think it has a very good shot though it might take quite awhile to get there. To me though Deadpool's theatrical run has been far more impressive then Civil War. It didn't have even close to the worldwide marketing campaign that Civil War did, is a origin story of a lesser known comic book hero among the masses (but Deadpool did have a strong cult following going including among teenagers which is prime demo to have) instead of having well known tentpole franchise as the leads and didn't have a 3-D amplifier either. Yet it's not going to wind up all that far behind Civil War domestically speaking. When you look at box office performance domestically at least, Deadpool deserves an A+ grade while Civil War is around more like B/B+ish. Both though were obviously way better then BvS which was more like C- box office performance at best LOL!

Zootopia now sits at $981 million worldwide. Can it spit out $19 million to crack the $1 billion mark worldwide? Ehhhhhh I think it's going to wind up just short at least in its initial release. I am sure Disney love to have two movies crack a billion worldwide before we even hit the summer months but considering Civil War, The Jungle Book and Zootopia have made already around what? A little over $2.8 billion worldwide?? I don't think Disney executives are losing any sleep over the fact that Zootopia is going to wind up just short of billion worldwide.

And the first screenings of "Suicide Squad" were this weekend:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/first-suicide-squad-review-call-it-insane-and-amazing/

I don't put much stock into screenings since they often prove to be wrong. Back to the Future famously got horrific testing screening responses after all. But I will say the fact that several of the audience members said this should been the kick off to the DC universe is a positive and the fact that it was meet with such a great response matches with the overall buzz of the film as supposedly the WB executives were extremely happy with the dailies that were coming in compared to Dawn of Justice which made them cringe. For what it's worth, Bob Iger said that he loved the dailies from TFA while all reports said Sony executives were not too thrilled with the Ghosbusters dailies. Just something to keep in mind.

11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that Zootopia will pass the billion mark if all it needs are an additional 19 million.

It's currently going very strong in Japan, if you look at these numbers:
    weekend 1: 4 million
    2: 4.8 (+14%)
    3: 3.6 (-24%)
    4: 4.2 (+19%)
    5: 4.3 (+4%) estimate

meaning it just had its second best weekend of the run, and is still ahead of its opening weekend. Currently it stands at around 42 million (4.5 billion Yen). Big Hero 6 made another 21 million or so after the 5th weekend, and that one was coming off a weaker 5th weekend and never had these kind of legs. Zootopia could very well get to 9 or even 10 billion Yen if things continue like they currently are, which would be another 40 to 50 million just from Japan. Seeing how the domestic market will add another 5 million or so, the one billion mark should be in the bags.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I hope so, it be really cool if it did and real indictment on Dawn of Justice.

13. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    think zootopia can scratch out another 19 million WW.

seems junglebook has kinda stalled internationally. thought a billion would a lock for that.. doesnt look like it will make it now.

there's a thousand things thats an indictment on dawn of justice right now.

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    TJB might not crack $1 billion worldwide but after another strong weekend ($11 million) it's poised to climb over Batman vs Superman domestically. Dawn of Justice will now be in the fifth slot (already) for the year in NA. The question is how much further does it fall? Rogue One and Finding Dory seem near locks to clear it's take ($328 million) pushing it down to seventh for the year. Does it fall further from that?? There isn't a lot of strong contenders once you get passed FD and R1 but you have a couple possibilities:

- ID4 2
    - Suicide Squad (Deadpool showed there is a big enough for an "R" rated comic book movie and SS as a leg up on Deadpool considering the fact that the Joker is in it and is one of the most well known villains ever..)
    - Fantastic Beasts

Earlier this year I would have added Ghostbusters but right now I don't see happening believe or not. I really think the buzz around it is nearly toxic and when you factor in all the reports surrounding about the executives not happening with the dailies, stars fighting on set which translated into zero chemistry, I really am not seeing a $300 million domestic especially since Melissa McCarthy who is really being asked to carry the film, mojo has been diminished. Could it still surprise and be a big hit? Yes but right now I would bet no more then yes.

Still if two out of the three I listed above eclipse Batman vs Superman, that means DoJ will find itself tenth at the box office domestically. That would be the worst finish for a Batman movie since Batman vs Robin which was the only Batman movie to not finish eighth or higher at the box office. WB executives would be really honked off if that happened. As it it is, they are not happy especially when you consider Disney had two non-Pixar kiddie flicks beat it domestically. You can see one doing that (oddities like that do happen) but two is just embarrassing.

15. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    id add ID4-2 To the list o possibilities. edit: either i missed you inculding ID4-2 or you added it later. sorry.

its kinda funny you and i scoffed when people predicted a billion for TJB ww but we laughed cause we didnt think it would gross 300 million plus domestic not cause it wouldnt post 700 million internationally lol

16. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    87,340 for TFA for the weekend. 14.4 drop. 58 theatres. TFA might see june in theatres lol

domestic total now 936.627 million.

17. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    4 minute plus trailer for Independence Day 2. I would have loved to have a Star Wars trailer of that lenght of course. But we are never getting that. This trailer has totally nailed the Starkiller syndrome, "its definetely bigger than the last one" and also have some nice Rathars in it. Seriously, it is so over the top, and the middle part of the trailer is so boring, like a bad episode of X Files, "they are coming back" etc. haha. I look forward to summer, this one and Ghostbusters should really add cheese on the popcorn. Cant wait.

Its cool to have Jeff Goldblum back though.

18. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    for the person who asked last week about B V S tracking falling off the map, for the weekend it came in 22nd with 310 thousand falling from 13th place last weekend.

guesing it will be heading to my discount theatre this week.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  20. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    wait what? so no more theatrical releases for marvel?

they better never do that to star wars.....

i actually really liked that independence day trailer even if it was overly long.

im a bit confused though cause that sure looked like brent whats his name (data from star trek TNG) and im pretty sure he died in the original.

21. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    No way, if they do that for SW, I think fans will rebel (pardon the pun), all over the world!

Speaking of ID: Resurgence, that trailer definitely seems a tad long, but certainly shows a very menacing second batch of aliens out for revenge... By the way, that Dr. Okun fellow (long-haired mad professor type) is played by Brent Spiner, whom Trekkies know as Commander Data, and he somehow survived being strangled by an alien back in ID4! =D=

22. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    yes i know its data and i know his character seemed to die in the first. now not only is he alive he doesnt even appeared to have aged.

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It's not about the theatrical release, no one could pay Disney enough to refuse those.

All the deal does, is grant the pay tv rights to Disney movies to Netflix. Meaning once the theatrical release is over, and the movie has been released on blu ray / DVD, Netflix has sole rights to show these movies on pay tv / sale them digitally. It's nothing more than that. It probably won't even influence a later "free tv" release.

EHT likes this.
  24. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    This is why it helps to read the article first :p LOL.

We all know what a sham this list is anyway so I feel bad beating a dead horse, but I'm going to take a whack anyway: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Why is The Force Awakens ADJUSTED gross less than its ACTUAL gross?! That doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless they have a lot of data we don't, i.e. adjusting for the higher-than-average percent of the gross that comes from premium tickets, 3D, blah blah, etc. And I'm totally fine with that type of math by the way, but it doesn't seem like there's good enough data to make a chart like that with said information and no explanation. On that chart, it looks to me like TFA should be the 10th highest grossing movie of all time adjusted for inflation.

Ah well, in any case, I feel pretty good about saying TFA sold "roughly" 100 million tickets. I think it has enough cushion over the average ticket price so that even though its average ticket price was higher, it would still sneak in there with 100 million admissions.

On a side note, it's funny how when you think about every single person you know, you realize there actually were a few who missed TFA in theaters, unbelievably enough. There are some people who absolutely refuse to go to theaters no matter what. Nothing will draw them out. My dad's handyman, who I have had do 5 days (and a 6th coming) of work at my new home, bought two copies of TFA, on accident, because he bought a copy and his wife bought one the day it came out, and they ended up watching it in their bedroom with one copy while the kids watched in the other room. Kind of funny.

Also my sales and marketing head said she "finally got around to seeing it," and I was like wait you didn't see it in theaters?! For shame! Especially working for a media company, sheesh. I swear. What am I going to do with these employees? I'm going to have to give them like 3 hours of paid time off in the future every year to see the new Star Wars movie and include the ticket price in the bonus for the year :p LOL.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Have the average price of tickets gone down? [face_dunno]That's weird.

I will say one thing I've learned this year. It's that the teen pop culture doesn't drive pop culture at large...at least for the movies. TFA is the the biggest movie of all time in raw numbers. However, VERY few of my students have seen it. I'd say about 10-15%. None of them minus about 2 even talked about it and barely at that. And that's since it came out. It was MUCH more highly an adult phenomenon or one for younger kids (I teach high school). If anything, it was a much smaller hit for the urban culture. But that's not all because I also teach advanced students (albeit diverse).

Interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.