main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

There is much more to this then just that IMHO. Like I said before, Disney in my estimations is getting ready to try and acquire Netflix once they figure out the quagmire which is ESPN (which there really seems no good solution). They always wanted a hub where all their content can be accessed for the consumer. And again it illustrates the continuing cut cording phenomenon that is going on in America. Frankly if I didn't have a friend who had a good job at Comcast and got me deals, we be a family that also be cutting the cord. We get the Playstation Vue or something for the main family room and go from there. We already have Netflix and Amazon Prime which TBH we are watching more and more of. Netflix btw is a must for anyone who has children.

And pardon my french but Reed Hastings can wrap his member in gold (Sorry watched Goldmember late last night with the baby). Netflix was nearly bankrupt and now it's cutting deals to be the sole provider of Disney content. People laugh and mock him when Reed said they were moving to nothing but streaming saying it was going to doom the company. But Reed did something very rare in the world today. As Wayne Gretzky said, he skated to where the puck was going..not where it was. We all talk about the incredible job Bob Iger as done at Disney and there is do denying, Iger's tenure overall has been remarkable. Disney was a real mess when Bob took over for Eisner (he who argue that acquiring Pixar would "destroy the company") as pushed Disney into a renaissance era. He even helped oversee Disney animated go from pushing absolute bombs like Treasure Planet to runaway phenomenons like Frozen! But great as Bob's tenure as been, Reed's tenure as founder/CEO of Netflix might be even greater.

And on the opposite spectrum, there I say only about 10-12% of all students in the high school I worked that did not go see it at least once in the theater and our current student enrollments sits at just over 2,800 students (we were at 3,000 to start the year but obviously students leave due to moving, getting kick out, dropping out etc)! And among my twin boys and their classmates? Forget it. It's nothing but Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars! Other things are popular right now there but Star Wars is king of their grammar school right now by far.

2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It's BOM, their inflation list is simply bogus and makes no sense whatsoever. They miss multiple re-releases and counts things wrongly.

I guess in this particular case they went with the quarterly numbers. For each quarter an official average ticket price gets listed. This moves up and down, with the second and fourth quarter being the strongest. This can lead to the average ticket price that currently gets used (from the first quarter of 2016) to be lower than the one that existed in the fourth quarter of 2015.

It's complete nonsense though. TFA played to a large extend in this year, which gets completely ignored. They also don't apply the same method for all movies. A system where one 2015 release gets raised bigtime (JW) while the other gets lowered (TFA) makes no sense. There was no significant boost in general ticket-prices during that period, which is the whole point of adjusting for ticket price inflation.

All that doesn't even take into account that individual movies have different average ticket prices. The whole concept fails to work if you attempt to use a finer scale for adjusting.

3. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    i Saw BOM's downward adjustment for TFA weeks ago and found it so ridiculous i didnt even mention it. this after they ajusted JW over 700 million for no reason other then the calender turned to 2016.

JEDIJAX i've seen you say in your posts for about a year now that none of your students were intersted either before/during/after TFA'S Release. do you think its possible their fooling you?

the move made almost 937 million dollars and i find it hard to belive no one in your class/school saw it at least once.......again its like star wars fandom or viewing is a secret.......only nerds and 40 year old virgins like it (or so goes the stereotypes)

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah, agreed. Not to be rude I'm just not buying that at all. Star Wars was huge in all demographics. Sure, it's possible at some Podunk high school in mountainous West Virginia that few students saw it in their class of 37, but in any major metro area that's not the case. There's flat out NO CHANCE that only 10% of students in a high school saw Star Wars, when high school students are among the biggest moviegoing audience demographic and when at least 80 million individual people saw TFA.

Netflix isn't just streaming by the way. They have solid streaming but the quality of content is not high to be honest. Great TV shows, very, VERY few quality movies. Pick 100 movies at random and they'll have like 17 of them at best. They fill their movie roster with cheap garbage most of the time. That's why I still pay for Netflix Blu-rays.

raefinnpoe likes this.
  5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Oh hell no.

I didn't say no one saw it. Just very few (like 10-15%). Trust me I have a few who don't even know what it or Star Wars are. I have finals starting this week and offered to show it once everyone is done (those that are taking it). The protests were....well....what they are. But like I said, it is just proof that certain sectors of society we thought governed pop culture don't necessarily do so.

6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    ^^ This !

7. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    some never heard of it? lol wut........i dont care if they like it or not they've heard about it. i hate the haorry pothead series but i know about it. indifferent to LOTR but i know about it.

8. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Then nothing beats the unfamiliarity towards SW by the general Malaysian populace - even when I wore a t-shirt with "Millennium Falcon" on it, or gave people my SW-themed email address, no one really batted an eyelid... No wonder TFA didn't exactly set Malaysia on fire, when it comes to box office takings, unlike, say Furious 7 or Jurassic World!

But still, the SW Miniland in Legoland Malaysia is a popular attraction and probably one way of keeping SW culture healthy and alive here... The press had reasonable coverage on SW Day in Malaysia, including the building of the world's largest Lego version of yours truly, and that should have garnered more interest in this epic space opera amongst Malaysians and Singaporeans!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

9. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Jedijax........you really can't come to a conclusion about students at your school based on your personal experience. Bowen was right. TFA was well-received by ALL demographics. I saw many teenagers, 20 & 30-somethings at every TFA viewing I had (okay, my personal experience :D ). IMHO, your student group is an anomoly. What school is it? Location? State? Just curious. I'm sure there were a few MIT students who saw TFA :)

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

I'm convinced there is no way to accurately calculate box office totals - especially fixed for inflation. The only way it works is when a particular movies makes so much more money than another movie it's indisputable.

Having recently learned international box office is based on the strength of the dollar, that number is frustratingly meaningless.

11. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Will this new Disney/Netflix arrangement impact the availability of digital copies of Disney movies purchased along with Blu Rays? I hope not.

12. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    in the early pages of thi thread when people were discussing hype and excitement pre release there as a lot of jumping to conclusions based on one persons perceptions of the people around them. baically 'oh my 10 year old hates star wars but my grandfather loves it. so no kids like it its just for old geezers. and paul mccartney fans'. or 'my class isnt interested at all. so i guess that domestic box office will be less then 400 million.'

its kinda bizarre this logic is still being put to use given the movie made 2.066 billion dollars to date and i doubt it was 90 percent grandfathers going to the movie.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    According to this, the Disney deal will help, but I don't know.

http://qz.com/691340/netflixs-us-film-catalog-will-soon-be-vastly-improved-thanks-to-disney/

One interesting thing it says is that Netflix has lost a lot of movies to other streaming services due to more focus on original material; which makes me wonder if other streaming services may soon be better for movies.

And, of course.... come on with some SW original material Netflix/Disney! Make the "live action SW show on Netflix" rumors come true!

14. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    happy star wars anniversey folks :)

Ricardo Funes and Luke02 like this.
  15. jedijax

May 2, 2013

Have you ever taught extremely at risk urban black youth? The response of "what the hell is Star Wars? I'm not watching that gay @#$%". That's the scenario. I'm sure they've heard of SW but would never admit to acknowledging it.

16. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    which means they'd never admit to seeing it either.

17. jedijax

May 2, 2013

I don't see there being a context where they would. It's weird, I know. On one hand you have the numbers that don't lie. $936 million is more than a pop phenomenon. But experience is another. Teen females would only see it (for the most part) if they went with their boyfriends. Black teens between 15 and 19 who are extremely urban have no interest. Those two demographics just didn't find this appealing. But there were enough demographics that did and there were plenty of Bowen-types (sorry dude lol) who saw it multiple times.

It's not so much a study on the popularity of SW overall. That isn't in question. It's more that interests in certain sectors of youth culture don't necessarily reflect the large scale pop culture of every aspect of media. If anything else, I find it rather refreshing to know that.

18. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Can somebody explain how JW put out in 2015 jumps up over 25 Million and TFA put out the same year drops 10 million on the adjusted for inflation table, this isn't logical?

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Lee_

To me the movies on Netflix are just a add on bonus. I really get it for the TV shows (especially now with them having some great original programming), miles and miles and miles of content for the kiddies (what a life savior that is!) and honestly the documentaries. I really don't watch many movies off of it. And really it has nothing to do with their movie catalog being bearish (though obviously the Disney deal is really going to help with that). It's just that I really don't watch many movies over and over again anymore (I'm 38, not 18 LOL) outside of some on my all-time favorites list. Therefore I only watch a movie once and move on even if I really like it. And there is many avenues where I can pick up movies on home video beyond Netflix which does add some new releases I want to see now and then. There is Redbox, On Demand, Amazon Prime, even my library etc.

jedijax

I can see where you are coming from with urban black teenagers not being into Star Wars especially if we are talking in poorer eras. I have a friend who teaches in a rough urban high school and he says that many of the students say that Star Wars is for "white crackers" (and other things which I cannot put on a family friendly board). But they are also a small segment of the overall teenage demographics. Again the high school I worked, pretty much everyone went to see it including the black students. Now granted black teenagers who grow up in a overall middle/upper middle class high school are going to way different then urban black teenagers even if they live in the "poor" part but still. It was massive here among all groups including minority students. And saying teenage girls unless it was with a boyfriend wasn't even true in 1977 let alone 2016! Teenage females are totally into fantasy movies/books thanks to growing up on Harry Potter, THG, etc. I had slews and slews of female students who saw it without their a date. Now granted most did see it with a date (it's funny but this year at school as been all about the couples while last year it seemed like everyone wanted to be single) but the ones who didn't still saw it regardless with a date or not...whether it's a male or female.

Miles Lodson

Not at all. It won't premiere on Netflix until after it's home video releases. My guess it would be a few months later. Going forward the order will be the following:

1. Theatrical release
    2. Home video (a few months after it's finish the theatrical release like TFA)
    3. Netflix debut (a few months after it comes out on home video)
    4. Free TV debut (which my guess be on ABC for obvious reasons)

20. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    blue jedi even worse..........does this mean in 10 years it will continue to devalue? i mean its just stupid.

21. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Bingo! This year has taught me just how much my school has changed in the past 10 years and how much I REALLY need to get out. (Problem is in Houston there aren't too many places to go without taking a pay cut)

Ricardo Funes and Luke02 like this.
  22. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    TFA's foriegn take has been updated. pushing it to r 1,130,300,000 exactly. (number fixing lol)

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    jedijax

Understand just know this you are not the only one in that boat. I have a lot of friends in teaching. I am really lucky that I got a job where I did. I never take it for granted, not for a one second!

raefinnpoe

It's 33 million behind FF7 internationally for the third slot. If it can somehow squeeze another 33 million it will be 1/3/3 in terms of rankings all time. So it will be 1/3/4 unless they re-release it.

Meanwhile CA: Civil War clip $350 million domestically after Monday's business day. It's a foregone conclusion that it overtakes Deadpool for the number #1 slot. Again the question is can it squeeze past $400 million? Tough sledding but it's doable. This week's box office is a big test. If it can hold up well against X-Men, that it has a really good chance.

Also Scott Mendelson is theorizing that by going last in terms of big box office movies this summer, Suicide Squad might pull off a huge number:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...squad-may-win-big-by-going-last/#d0f3e056c32f

Normally Scott's theories are pretty "ehhhhhhh" but I think he could be on to something. Everyone is playing bumper cars trying to find theatrical space to roam but Suicide Squad by coming out in early August as a clear path and GOTG1 prove you can put up big numbers with a August release. Earlier we talk about SS possibly outdoing DoJ domestically. Again this shows it seems very possible given SS will have a pretty barren August schedule to contend with.

24. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    my numbers say its 33 million behind FF7 internationally. no way is it gonna make that up.

so it will be 1/3/4

mendelson is really a strange fellow. remember the panic attack he had when disney annouced TFA was 'only' coming out in 3900 theatres

Luke02 likes this.
  25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

I hope that TFA manages to lure some of these guys to Star Wars. We now have a more diverse cast which should help to bring new fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.