main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It's box office mojo acting stupid, nothing more than that.
    I explained that a few posts before, they use quarterly average ticket prices and adjust from that. They mix up way too many things though, and ignore that a movie plays over quite some time and not just on a single day, e.g. TFA playing through the entire first quarter of 2016.

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Ricardo Funes

I doubt it at least not for a long time. The culture in the inner city poor schools is much different then what is going on in the rest of the county, even the poor rural ones. And having a more diverse cast means nothing. To them it's a bunch of nerds playing D&D in space no matter who is in it. I could add on here but no reason too since this is a smart board so IMO can fill in the blanks lol.

3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    It's true. All of it. (lol)

Truth is that I once worked at a summer camp for rather wealthy kids from the NYC metro area as well as wealthy areas of Florida and CA. Of course that was the late 80's and early 90's when SW was in hibernation. But what was one of the movies regularly playing in the counselor hideout on off times? ROTJ.

To lots of those folks, the inner city youth was a myth. Now that I work with a lot of inner city youth, you get engraved with the idea that this is the ONLY real world there is and that hardcore rap is the norm. But it's not. It's refreshing to know that something like SW can still be mainstream with the majority out there and that it wasn't something that faded with "changing times". Some cultures are very bent on their own media sources. There's nothing wrong with that though.

But I've also had the most at risk groups of students for half the day that I've ever had in my career so there was an eye opening on both sides.

4. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    i dont know why but when i see 'its true' i think of kurt angles favorite promo line.

5. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, it has definitely worked in Malaysia, despite the small box office takings (MYR28m = approx. USD7m), and other than the fans of the OT, I noticed many teens and 20-something people during my two viewings...

Granted the appeal is more for urban folk in the major cities like Greater Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and Johor Bahru, as I don't fathom those in smaller towns able to appreciate the epic space opera but still, there's a very diverse range of fans today - comprising all Malaysian races and income levels... In fact, it's also thanks to Legoland having their SW Miniland that broadened the films' appeal and increased exposure to the mainstream audiences here!

Too bad TFA only ran in the local circuit for one-and-half months, otherwise the box office earnings in Malaysia would have been higher...

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

jedijax

Hang in there bud, just remember again you are not the only one. Our profession is changing rapidly and not IMHO for the better but that is a topic for a different day and frankly a crummy one LOL!

So early numbers have X-Men ranging from $80-100 million this weekend:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men...tracking-numbers-for-x-men-apocalypse-a142014

Days of the Future Past open at $90 million so if it hits the middle of that range, it be on par with it. Alice 2 is tracking awfully though. Could be around $60 million OW and that is despite having 3D and IMAX kicker. The original open at $120 million and went on to gross over $300 million. Looks like Alice 2 is going to end Disney's magical run at the box office this year.

With Civil War now within less then $10 million of Deadpool. It should by the end of business day Monday it becomes the top grosser this year so far domestically on top of already being the worldwide leader.

raefinnpoe likes this.
  7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Luke02, I tried/offered to show it to my students after their finals (since we had excess time and were finished). Protests, disinterest, and flat out refusal to even look at it by all but about 2........................

........................and that was my best and most advanced class.

8. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    90 million i meant thats not much better then zootopia's opening and worse then jungle book. think x-men might need a shakeup. (or another one lol)

had no doubt CACW was going to pass deadpool. whether it passes 400 million is still in question.

and lmao about that kurt angle video.......

9. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Ironic twist of fate. My most challenging class actually WANTED to watch TFA after finals. Who would have figured? Maybe there is hope after all.

10. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    so what did they think?

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    raefinnpoe

I love when Edge wrote "You Suck" on the back of Angle's Olympic pictures:

[​IMG]

Absolute classic!

I think will know once this holiday weekend is over if Civil War really has a strong chance of breaking $400 million. If it holds up well against X-Men, I think it's a good strong bet to do it.

jedijax

It's odd to me you still have class after finals. Finals ends our school year. Good to see at least one class wouldn't mind watching TFA. I don't have AP students this year or we already watch it by now since I have AP students take their finals during the week of their AP test so they don't have to study twice and essentially ends the year for us even though there is a few weeks of school left so it's literally play time for the last few weeks of the year. In the past I have shown movies (did a mini HP marathon one year), play kickball or softball, had picnics and even once had a field trip to the local donut shop (which is still talk about to this day LOL even though it happen five years ago). I have seniors this year though (well 90% plus seniors) so we will be watching a movie next week since they only have to be there Tuesday and Wednesday next week since graduation is on Saturday. TFA is one of the movies of choose! :D

raefinnpoe likes this.
  12. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    my favorite angle promo was him and hogan debating who was gonna face lesner and angle says 'what ya gonna do? challenge him to a game of shuffleboard?"

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    One TFA record fell:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...r-most-watched-trailer-ever-in-first-24-hours

Okay I understand that I am among one of the last demographics this movie was for especially since my daughter will be just be about 11 months old when this comes out but do we really need a Beauty and the Beast live action film? I mean the animated film is an absolute classic! I guess when it comes to the almighty dollar, they will literally remake anything LOL!

14. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i demand a recount lol

no but seroiusly?

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Someone badly fudged the data on that - I saw that on Facebook and just laughed. Sorry, but that didn't happen. Maybe in some alternate bot world of creating numbers sure. But literally nobody I know posted about that or watched it or talked about it and I had no idea it was even happening. Get out of here with that!! Everyone was watching and talking about TFA lol. So silly.

raefinnpoe likes this.
  16. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    yeah i mean there are alot more anticpated movies then that that arent even getting close to that.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The teaser has about 11 million views on youtube, plus a few here and there if you count other versions, where exactly are the other 80 million supposed to come from?

I mean, facebook has been quite big for trailers as well, but I really can't see youtube being that irrelevant for the total number of viewers. It has been very clearly the no.1 platform for every other trailer so far.

edit: it has 16 million views on facebook right now, almost three days after release, where exactly are all these views supposed to come from?

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    If it was inaccurate Disney would have corrected it by now. The core audience is the type that will literally watch that 1,000 times over in one sitting! My niece is 5 and my sister in law said she broke the repeat button she already watch it so many times LOL!

It really is not a big deal at all. Trailer hits are meaningless. Dawn of Justice had big trailer hits on YouTube and it got dusted by Deadpool which had far less. Not to say that Beauty and the Beast 2017 is not going to be huge. It is. Just how big remains to be seen.

19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i mean really i didnt even know this was a movie till this was posted lol

where are the numbers coming from though? there are so many youtube trailer videos that have twice, 3 4 times that number, including rogue one.....which is disney. so we are supposed to believe more people watch disney facebook videos then disney youtube videos?

20. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Don't underestimate Hermione's magical powers! :p

Luke02 likes this.
  21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Turns out there are another 46 million views on Emma Watson's facebook-page, which are independent from the movie's facebook-page link, that pushes the total quite a bit higher.

Luke02 likes this.
  23. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    'how captain america beat batman vs superman'

uh maybe it was a better movie? ;)

24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Both Alice2 and XMA are getting smoked in reviews. Are they really THAT bad?

The impression I get is that both are very chaotic in nature.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Like I said earlier, if it was inaccurate Disney would have corrected it. It also means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme, just interesting and I am not all that surprised it's getting mega hits on the Internet. More then TFA? That is a bit surprising but not shocking. It's Hermione Granger in a live action version of Beauty and the Beast. I don't think we need it but I also am self aware it is going to be massive.

raefinnpoe

That played a big part but that wasn't all of it IMHO like the article says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.