main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Yeah Disney doesn't have much luck with Memorial Day-at least lately.

As far as XMen movies go, my tastes don't align with critics. I haven't seen all the Wolverine movies, but I liked the first one. I thought the second Xmen movie was much better than the first (from the original trilogy). I really liked First Class but wasn't a huge fan of DOFP. I thought it was chaotic.

2. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    just ftr but the xmen drop 26 million from friday is counting the previews, so the 'drop' to 20 million isnt that signifigant on saturday (and 18 milion on sunday)

3. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    This post almost made me a bit nostalgic. And it was only 6 months ago it all started So maybe we will get to hear from Disney when TFA has ended its glorious run, in the last tiny little discount theatre? When it is really OVER.

Looks like Memorial Day weekend is not what it used to be. Remember that Disney distributed movie that was originally suppose to open next year in that slot;)

Fox will be happy either way with X - Men i think, overseas results are strong, domestic is a bit disapointing, but it could have good legs, because most people says it deserves better, its a good film, great spectacle. Reviews do not really balance with the word of mouth. A lot of general audience tend to forget that Deadpool is also an X - Men film, of which Fox made a lot of money of + the chance to have Deadpool show up the the main franchise narrative. I think Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg maybe should step down and let a new trilogy build with some fresh faces though.

Alice 2 comes with a $ 175 mill budget and it looks like a total flop. The overseas debut struggled with beating X - Men in its second week. Only China is doing ok, UK numbers were like $ 3 mill. This will loose money for Disney big time. Will they suffer? With all this money they make on Jungle Book, Zootopia, Civil War, Star Wars, soon Finding Dory, who`s depressed? Johnny Depp needs a career change, make better choices, find a new director who can support him with the good stuff. He has some really nice, darker issues in him as an actor, which i like. Alice in Wonderland was the second big 3D thing to come out after Avatar. And it is a beloved story, everybody knows it. 3D effect is gone. And story is not a story that needs to be told.

4. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    XMen will likely not hit $200 million.

Alice 2 will most likely not hit $100 million.

Wow, just wow!

5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Sorry for the dp but nobody's posted since this morning.

Is it safe to say that Alice 2 will have, by far, the biggest drop off for a sequel in cinema history?

Alice 1 opened with $116 million and made $334 million domestic and $1 billion WW.

Alice 2 opened with $28 million which is less than Alice 1's opening day and it's total domestic run will likely not make what Alice 1 made in its first weekend. This sequel will likely end up making one THIRD of the first one. That HAS to be a record!

6. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i remember when memorial day weekend used to be the biggest weekend of the year.

starting around 89 with indy3 and then back to the future3 in 90

btw captain america didnt even get to 20 million even with the 4 day weekend.

as for alice, disney cant constantly turn out winners every single time.

7. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    Xmen?

Singer should go.

Apart from the new Storm and a couple of her teammates the newcomers are terrible.

The movie is just silly.

First Class and Last Stand are the best of the bunch IMO.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alice-x-men-messes-studio-898137

The Memorial Day weekend massacre seems to be just the beginning of the end at many of these studios. Obviously Marvel and Lucasfilm won't be looking at any shakeup anytime soon while Universal overall is in good shape but other then that your going to see a lot of heads roll in the upcoming months.

This is Singer's first bad movie in terms of his X-men flicks. But I do think a change is needed. Bryan made the first one sixteen years ago. New blood is needed at the helm.

9. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    TFA only made 18 thousand this weekend on only 20 screens. im guessing this will be the last week it plays.

what a run. first time it drops more then 55 percent from the previous weekend its week 24

BB-8 My Homework likes this.
  10. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Makes sense that they plowed through until Memorial Day weekend. Seems like a good official stopping point.

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I was secretly hoping it would make it to Week 26, a half-year, that's pretty amazing though either way. Just a few dollars left in the tank of this massive juggernaut the likes of which the United States has never seen before. Crazy, crazy run.

Not good news coming out of the movie gossip sites about Rogue One, unfortunately. Four weeks of re-shoots after Disney didn't like what they saw. I'm not worried, though, because I think that's part of the system of checks and balances that more or less guarantees at least a "good" Star Wars movie each time. It's not maybe "normal" for this to happen, but it's also not abnormal. It's built-in to their plan that things like this could happen, and I'm positive that with studio-influenced reshoots there will be the type of feeling and tone we expect anyway. It's a bit disconcerting news, but I am not overly concerned yet.

As for Johnny Depp and Alice 2, well, I didn't care for the first Alice too much. It was just bizarre. I also don't trust a word that Amber Heard has said. I don't look any differently on Johnny Depp. First of all, I live in the United States, probably the capital of gold diggers, and Amber Heard is asking for $50,000/month (get real) and claims to have made just $27,000 this year total. Heck, I've made more than that, and I'm not famous. She should maybe get off her butt and start working. The LAPD "found no evidence of assault at the time and Heard declined to file a report." But now suddenly she is claiming this abuse when asking for $50K/month, $10K/month to pay for "entertainment, gifts, and vacations," and $10K for rent. I lived in Los Angeles, it's expensive, but get real. The penthouse in our building was 3,000 square feet and amazing and cost $10,000 per month. She doesn't NEED to be living in a penthouse, she could rent a very nice two bedroom almost anywhere for $4,000/month. That's still more legitimate than $3,000/month for "medical expenses not covered by insurance," I mean are you kidding me? She is 30 years old. I am 33 and I haven't spent $1 on anything but health insurance in my entire life. I haven't even seen a doctor in more than 5 years. I don't see how she spends that kind of money unless she has cancer and we just don't know about it.

Innocent until proven guilty is what I believe and so far there is not one tiny little scrap of evidence, let alone anything that would be admissible in court. I'm not outright calling her a liar, but I am saying since it's none of my business, I won't change my opinion about a great actor based on some woman's biased comments when she has her hands out. If that isn't pretty fishy, I don't know what is.

12. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015

i remember TPM had some reshoots and the big rumor was half the film was shot out of focus...lol

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Unless you're a detective with more information than most of us, I'd suggest refraining from assuming that Heard is lying.

Millions of internet warriors didn't trust the testimonies of Cosby's accusers, and look how that turned out.

Not saying Depp is certainly guilty. Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't. But in the absence of more information, why lean towards his camp? And if she is "some biased women" isn't he also just "some biased man?"

yassir.khan likes this.
  14. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    really who cares about johnny depp.

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    It's almost like you didn't read my post lol. I literally said that I'm not calling her a liar, but the circumstances under which her allegations are made are suspect to say the least. And to compare this to Cosby is kind of silly, really. There was an LAPD report and they found NO EVIDENCE of any assault or abuse, and she didn't file charges, this isn't an issue where potentially dozens of people involved because nobody is accusing Depp of that. It's literally just one person, who wants $50,000/month, accusing him of abuse and it's all unspecified and not documented and not proven. You can easily accuse anyone of that and without proof, you sully their name in the public, but don't actually have a leg to stand on.

I don't really care about Hollywood drama, but I certainly don't care about allegations about some actor abusing his wife when said allegations have no support behind them at all. Even if he did abuse her, I wouldn't care as a moviegoer. I don't get emotionally invested in movie stars, they're just people doing a job. I wouldn't respect him as a person anymore, and I would be disgusted with his behavior, but I wouldn't change my mind about his career or his acting abilities and thus wouldn't change my behavior about seeing his movies, either. Thousands of people work on a movie, not just one actor, so if he's in a good movie, I'd go see it.

As for TPM, the idea that any substantial portion of a movie would be out of focus just seems unrealistic to me. I could see that maybe if we were talking about AOTC or ROTS that were filmed on brand new cameras and maybe there could possibly be an issue the first day or two with the digital camera's focus assist or something silly like that. But these people on the Internet don't know the first thing about making a movie. Having actually made one, I can tell you with 100% certainty that's impossible. So the 1st AC, whose job it is to pull focus, missed almost every shot and the camera operator didn't notice, nor did the DP? Maybe, anyone could make mistakes, maybe the 1st AC is someone's cousin and actually not that great of a focus puller after all. BUT, and here's the BIG but, every movie reviews dailies. No exceptions. Even on our indie movie I got a bunch of DVDs every few days (not always every day, because of our budget) to review the footage at night and make sure everything was going as I wanted. I could make adjustments to my actors' performances and whatnot by seeing what I had already shot. It's like learning on the go, basically, or making course corrections midair. Every director does it. Those dailies are circulated to the producers, director, DP, and most of the top level people on a major film. And they are available every day. So nobody noticed for months that things were out of focus?! LOL, yeah..... uh huh.

16. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    no it was just a rumor cause lucas had some pic ups and reshoots in 98 (and then a couple more in early 99) and some dopes put on the web that the film must be out of focus to have these many re-dos.

as seen with the ROTS dvd extras he didm uch the same on all 3 prequals. i will say though f people generally dont lie the acting in TPM then they really luced out that he reshot the inside of the naboo cruiser as it escapes naboo. everyone is lie 'oh well our shields are down' LMAO ..

there were some reall weird rumors about TPM. one had a 'squirell lie race' preenting anaing a lightaber on his '8th birday' (rolling stone magazine summer 98)

17. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    I have no clue whats going on with Rogue One. But somewhat i have a feeling that there is some truth in those rumours, not that there is a crisis ( i think Gareth Edwards is too solid a director to completely **** up.), but trouble with the tone and acceptance from the board of executives that this might a different movie than TFA. Maybe fear that it could cause some damage on their property, if like, the film is very dark and adult oriented. This is Hollywood folks. This is cynical business. Everything, literally everything went their way with TFA. This might be a very relevant topic in this boxoffice thread as well. The enormous success of TFA can be a disadvantage, understand me correctly, the level of brand awareness and commercial value is once again going through the roof, with Star Wars. And i am not at all afraid of Rian Johnson`s movie, because the foundation for the trilogy films is set in stone, audience have taken the new characters to their heart. Let`s just conclude that BB-8 is a winner! But the Anthology films, there is a potential minefield with them. I really don`t think there is any chance in hell that we are likely to see Disney green lighting stuff that are going to far away from the main trilogy. Will we have a Mad Max type of underworld, dark Star Wars universe, action film as an example? Dont think so. I hope for a tv series maybe. Look at Marvel. And Pixar too. With Marvel, both Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright had trouble with Disney. Its not like Marvel at any time have been taking big risks. C`mon, their movies are well made and integrated with the comic universe they heritage from. But it`s not like we are getting any Francis Ford Coppola, Brian de Palma, even George Lucas at his best, artistic risk vibes here. Actually, Fox did at least take a chance with Deadpool. the Russo brothers are good directors, but i get a feeling they adjust to the system quite well.

I still say, Star Wars is in good hands at Disney, i think Rogue One is just going through some lighter adjustments too, and no way i would go as far as Lucas, with the slave type of thing commentary. But yes. Star Wars has to adjust to the moneymouse as well. Right now, i dont worry about the main trilogy at all. It wil be fine. Potentially a fantastic Rian Johnson film. Thats the core of it for me. A great epic trilogy.

18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yeah, the "oh my god, HUGE crisis, drastic changes coming up" stuff is probably nothing more than an attention-grab. It's really nothing different than "You won't believe what this man did after..." click-bait. Announcing that there will be a re-shoot of some sort is hardly something you can push your site with, but be the first to talk about "huge problems with the new Star Wars movie" and your name is suddenly everywhere. It's all about how you tell the news. A comment can easily be portrayed as "we are fine-tuning things, the tone of the movie isn't 100% where we want it to be, but that's not uncommon at this point" or as "Disney is freaking out, the movie isn't anywhere where it needs to be, big changes coming up" paired with not mentioning that the re-shoot would have happened even if 99% of the movie looked great so far. It's all about spinning things the way you want to, or seeing things optimistically/pessimistically ;)

Re-shoots are perfectly normal, in fact, there was a planned three week summer re-shoot for Rogue One mentioned months ago. One week more isn't really all that much. I'd say there might be some truth to the comment that the tone of the movie has been darker than expected, but even that could mean quite a few different things, ranging from adding a few lighter notes to some bigger changes.
    It's not like this is something entirely new, nor does it have to mean bad things. There were rumours about how certain characters from TFA simply weren't working, yada yada, turned out they merely made some different editing choices to have the character appear a bit later, with the effects not being a problem at all. Rumours are very often untrue, and even those who are true are often exaggerating the truth, either because it makes for bigger headlines or because they got it around three corners. Not to mention that the source doesn't necessarily have to be able to accurately reflect the current problems, nor are any reports 100% sure to give a proper account of what the source said either.

I just hope they don't get the idea to add Han Solo to the movie, because that would be idiotic [face_plain]

19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    R1 reshoots are most probably due to a confusing storyline.

This is most common cause for reshoots. To give the movie more logical structure.

We should be happy for this reshoot. This means that someone is actually giving negative feedback to the director, which is something important, unless we want another EP I where everybody would just agree with Lucas.

20. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    This is true. And from my earlier post, i don`t mean that Disney is full of only cynicals. This is very much about getting it right. No compromise. It needs to be more than just good. The first Anthology film needs to be great, and have its own identity. Alan Horn has a pretty good track record btw. And Iger have probably fallen in love with Star Wars forever. It certainly helps with that $ 2 billion start. So put some pressure on Edwards. JJ was scared to death upon his first screening in front of the executives remember. This might bring out the best of him too, Edwards i mean.

EDIT: And i still donĀ“t want any Han "Alden" Solo cameo.

21. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    the han solo cameo is the thing that has me worried more then anything. i dont mind them injecting some humor in the movie. ROTS and ESB are the darkest film in the saga and they have humor. TFA while has a ton of humor, is set to the back drop of cold blooded lightsaber executions. star systems being destroyed, protagonists being tortured (on screen) and ending up in comas........

but the han thing with the new actor? NO WAY.........if the spinoff is 10 years before ANH, fine........but this is right before ANH. no way he is gonna pull off harrison ford.

22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Additional speculation says that Disney execs didn't like that the movie felt like a war movie, not a SW movie.

I know we all want something different, and a war movie in the SW universe would be so cool, but I agree that it should be a war movie IN the SW universe... if it lacks SW, then I agree with reshooting to add that extra SW feel to it.

23. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I guess Disney must have taken the cue from their own movies and those from rival studios... In that some films tanked due to poorly shot scenes that did not match the storyline and/or failed to utilize the actors' talents properly!

So this is a good move to reshoot certain scenes in Rogue One, in my opinion... There's still a bit of time for Disney anyway, before the movie is released in December!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    yeah my question is i hoped its not roughly pieced together just to get it out in december.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  25. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    heidi fleiss......say it aint so george :(

Luke02 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.