main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I very much doubt that it would be roughly pierced together. If they are already having a version that they can show internally, they seem to be quite a bit ahead of where they would need to be at this time.

Needless to say, Pablo Hidalgo wrote some twitter-comments that basically amount to "don't believe everything you hear, especially when it is coming from unnamed sources".

raefinnpoe likes this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I also really don't believe in Pablo despite his job title LOL!

That said I think there is a middle ground to these rumors. Do I think Disney executives did not like what they saw from Rogue One? No I don't. Too many good things and vibes coming from it. Do I think some Disney executives want the movie to be tone down some in order to match the Star Wars overall universe? Yes I do. The reshoots were schedule anyway so if they want it to make it a bit more Star Warsish instead of Saving Private Ryan, I don't think it's a big deal. What bothers me is the reports Disney wants to introduce Alden as Han Solo. That has disaster written all over it even if it's just a cameo. Alden is supposed to be the young idealistic Han Solo, not Harrison Ford thirty plus years and world weary. If anything I rather them do a stinkin CGI cameo of Ford as Solo and make him 30 plus years younger.

Far as current box office goes, CW went over $380 million domestic after business day yesterday. Really comes down to this next weekend. If it has a solid weekend (around $10 million as it gets a bit of a bump from the Memorial Day massacre) then $400 million domestic looks really good. But if it takes another big dive then it's looking at a long slog at $400 million. But still, CW is smelling like roses especially when you compare it with X-Men ("Oh!") and Alice 2 ("OMG!").

3. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    yeah the spinoff han solo showing up in ANH timeline is distressing to me. i hope its either fake rumors or it gets deleted from the movie.

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

+1

Han literally had nothing to do with the rebellion prior to the events of ANH. I don't want him even mentioned.

5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

That just looks painful to sit through. I will say having it come out on video so soon will be a plus for me. My wife missed seeing it and for some reason wants to see it. Perhaps to see if the bad reviews/word of mouth were justified? :confused:

6. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    im confued too..........cause i thought you liked it...or didnt think it was wrist slitting awful anyways lol

7. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    So posting the latest report on this here, if some did not catch up with the Anthology forum:
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/how-extensive-will-the-rogue-one-reshoots-be/
    • Some crew initially heard J.J. Abrams was supervising the reshoots.
    • Gareth Edwards is doing the reshoots himself but with a partner, Christopher McQuarrie.
    • Christopher McQuarrie, the final writer on Rogue One will be working extensively with Edwards onset to make sure they’re on the “same page” with the most recent draft of the film.
    • Christopher McQuarrie’s draft of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was considered superior to the film they shot previously.
    • It was not Edwards’ fault as McQuarrie’s draft wasn’t completed when much of the film was shot and revisions kept coming in that made the film feel uneven.
    • 32 sets have been recreated for the reshoot.
    • The crew expects they are reshooting 40% of the film.
    • They are working 6 days a week for 8 weeks.
    My conclusion on this right now: I am going to Celebration in London and i don`t think Gareth Edwards will be there as scheduled. He will be busy! But actually, this puts a new angle on it too, with the McQuarrie script not being finished. Still; 40% of the film to reshoot....huh.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    More than justified.

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Meh, again, nothing but rumours. Most of that seems dubious at best.

Christoffer McQuarrie himself had quite a few selected - and not so nice - words for all that. Saying that he called these rumours rubbish would be putting it mildly ;)

Ricardo Funes and Luke02 like this.
  10. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    I heard George Lucas is supervising the reshoots:)

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah McQuarrie was pretty honked off about the rumors that he will be on set:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-mcquarrie-response/

Never denied though that the re-shoots are meant to help the film mesh more of his draft. If that part is true, I am extremely happy. I am absolutely love McQuarrie's work going back to The Usual Suspects so if this meant to make sure the film is 100% McQuarrie's draft I am 1000000000% a happy camper.

In box office news, Box Office Mojo is predicting another soft weekend. Turtles 2 is projecting only a $30-35 million weekend:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4192&p=.htm

Compare that to Turtles 1 which open to $65 million and you are looking at a massive drop off from the original. Both X-Men and Alice 2 continue to take it up the ying yang as well. Only movie that seems to be having a decent weekend is "Me Before You" with around $15 million which is on par with other films of that genre. Considering it only cost $20 million to make it should make a pretty healthy profit unlike X-Men and particular Alice 2. Civil War btw is estimated around $9 million. Not taking in yesterday's box office (which won't be much since it's Thursday) the film stands at just over $380 million domestic. If it can squeeze out around $9 million, it should clear $390 million by mid-next week. Then it will be a long slog to $400 million but my guess is that it will just clear it and then tap rather quickly.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, he generally called bs on the entire idea. It's a bit much to expect from him that he would personally deny every little detail that has been rumoured.

That re-shoots will incorporate new things is pretty obvious, else you wouldn't really need them :p

13. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    im thinking the truth about rogue one is somewhere in the middle. maybe most of these reshoots were planned ahead of time with some new revisions added.

looks like TFA made about 2 thousand dollars this week lol either this was the last week or next week is i bet.

14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Entertainment weekly chimes in:
    • 5 weeks of re-shoots, the length is mostly due to a change of schedule. Re-shoots had been set before principle photography even began, but for spring, this was pushed to summer instead, which meant it was pretty tough to get all the actors at the same time
    • there are no new scenes, everything is just additional filler for scenes that already exist
    • it's not anywhere near 40% that will be re-shot, the movie couldn't possibly finish by August or be released in December if that were the case
    • in line with that, the movie will be set by mid August and scored in September, both earlier than TFA
    • Tony Gilroy will be around as 2nd unit director and to help with some details, just like he did on Godzilla
    • the movie will not be made "more family friendly", it's a war movie
    • there have been no test-screenings, nor have Disney executives ordered any changes. Only two persons outside of Lucasfilm have even seen the movie so far, Bob Iger and Alan Horn, and all they had to do so far was allow the change in schedule
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

15. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    The 40% thing i never believed. I think its impossible to do with a film of this size, so close to premiere. Assuming there will be a lot of CGI in it too. To assemble all the actors is probably spot on. All the main actors in Rogue One are buzy, and talented, and we should be happy with that.

Looks like you americans are not much up for going to the cinema at the moment with Ninja Turtles flopping big time. Needs to clean up overseas to have any chance of break even:
    http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ninja-turtles-2-box-office-opening-1201788531/

16. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, if folk in China go for Ninja Turtles 2 in droves, then we can see something being salvaged from this movie that seems to be doing rather poorly thus far... Even as a TMNT fan during my teenage years, I've got no interest in catching these live action movies - maybe I've outgrown these Turtles already? Something that probably explains why Americans are not watching TMNT 2 also!

And as for Rogue One, the teaser has definitely perked us SW fans' excitement for the release of this first of the Anthology movies in December... But let's also wait for the official trailer, which should be out after all those re-shoots are completed!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

17. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i dont care if they add more humor to it or keep it dark....

i just pray han solo spinoff era doesnt show up in that timeline.

like i said the other though, if they needed to shoot 40 percent of the film there's no way it would be out in december. so that was a red flag big time that the info was false.
    and i also said that most of these reshoots/pickups were already planned (like the prequals reshoots were)

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The fact that they are releasing an R rated version of Batman vs Superman does not make me want to see it. Now, if they discovered a new director's cut that was X-rated, that's different, that just might pique my interest......

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i mean it smells like a pretty sad attempt at a money grab. and the key word is 'attempt'..

alot of peoplpe already thought the movie was overly long and boring and pointless as it is.

20. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    This ticks me off from BOM
    Average ticket price for 2015 when TFA has all it's records is $8.43, BOM then goes and reduces the inflation numbers instead of raising them at the new $8.58 price for TFA, dropping it back to 11th place, using some type of illogical math formula.
    That's really stupid, I guess we have to wait for 2017 for it to jump back into the 10th spot again.

I think it's the only movie that has it's adjusted for inflation amount at less than it's original amount it made, and it's still showing in a few theaters at hasn't closed out yet.

And it's a 10 million dollars in the negative, according to JW from 2015 to 2016 gains it picked up about 25 million, it should be 10 million up not down. So like 946 million.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Another weak weekend at the box office:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Only movie that seems to be outperforming expectations is "Me Before You". Everyone else? Not too hot. Obviously CW is in good shape as it's going to break $390 million mid next week. Worldwide, Civil War is now 12th all time and has a outside shot of cracking the Top 10. Domestically it's currently 23rd with a decent shot at cracking the Top 20. So again overall Civil War is smelling like roses. But everything else? Don't ask. Turtles 2 OW was half the first one is, Apocalypse still hasn't crack $120 million domestically even though Days of the Future Past did that in about 5 days and Alice 2 is looking like it's on par with Tomorrowland as being a total disaster for Disney...perhaps even worse domestically. Tomorrowland made a little over $90 million domestically. Alice 2 sits at $50 million. Can it even get to $90 million domestically now especially with some big movies coming out soon like Finding Dory? :confused:

22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Absolutely devastating for X Men which cannot get anywhere near $200 million and completely catastrophic for Alice 2 which has no chance of getting close to $100 million.

This will be one of "those" summers.

23. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Looking like one of "those summers" yes. Who will flop next? I mean, nobody expects Finding Dory to tank, but everything else looks like it could right now. Mind you, "overseas" will not save you this summer Hollywood, next friday is the start of euro soccer 2016, and huge markets in both Asia and South America as well as Europe, will follow that on tv. X - Men has $ 400 mill in the bank now, but the US decline is pretty bad, and Alice 2 is just abysmal. Zootopia passing 1 billion and CW doing as expected + Jungle Book surprise = not too bad for Disney after all + the general state of the boxoffice is not that horrible. But maybe we will see a shift in moviegoers routines. And summer being loaded with crap ideas and expensive but less inspired sequels - will result in studio changes. War of Warcraft btw has $ 70 mill in the bank international, after 2 weeks. Opens next weekend in the US. I smell flop. And with Ghostbusters and Tarzan to follow. I am also starting to think Independence Day 2 will underperform pretty bad. Nobody is talking about it.

Oh dear. It´s not my money though.

24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm thinking that Suicide Squad will be the GOTG of this summer.

SS over $300 million
    FD: quite a bit over $400 million
    CW: end up around $410 million
    ID4-2: around $200 million

Everything else under $200 million.(including Trek Beyond)

25. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    I expect a very different tone to Suicide Squad, from GOTG, but in terms of boxoffice take, you could be right. People might want something that is very laid back, cool, and naughty:)

EDIT: I also keep my faith up for a good old Spielberg classic with The BFG + some late surprise from the "Petes Dragon remake ( still who wants to see that??). Oh, and Ben Hur will not get my money and flop. And then summer is over and Rogue One is coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.