main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I don't disagree though I think ID4-2 could be one of the surprises of the year. There seems to be some really good nostalgia around it which is leading to good buzz. Now no way does it do Jurassic World business thanks to nostalgia but I do think $300 million is possibly in the cards. It really is a combination of how well it's received plus what Ghostbusters does. Because if Ghostbusters is the flop that Sony fears (and man are they pushing the hell out of it right now to try and change that narrative, NBA Finals right now is doing ads with Kobe Bryant and the like dressed up as Ghostbusters), then ID4 2 IMHO would benefit again assuming it's well received and isn't a clanker.

Othini

The BFG looks like it could do better business internationally then stateside since it really isn't a popular novel here really. So far it's getting positive response (73% RT) so if that holds the combination of that plus Spielberg magic should lead to a nice box office return. Disney needs it since it's current fantasy live action kids movie is looking like an all-time flop.

2. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well it especially makes no sense because the argument that TFA tickets were more expensive is 100% irrelevant - the list is supposed to be adjusted to the current year, right? Well if TFA came out now instead of 6 months ago IT WOULD HAVE MADE MORE! The tickets are more expensive. That's the entire point of this silly adjusting thing anyway is not "what would some random average movie have made and how does that apply to this movie," no, hahaha of course not! It's "what would THIS movie have made today if it performed exactly the same as it did, but with today's ticket prices." The answer is clear and Mojo is simply wrong. It's data and facts, there's no arguing with that. Premium tickets, regular tickets, all tickets cost more now so TFA should be adjusted upwards appropriately.

I admit I don't get the Suicide Squad thing. Nobody knows what that is - I had never heard of this before the movie and still don't really get it. It doesn't look like a movie that will have any appeal to the mainstream and will just do alright with a niche audience. I see $140M to $175M. I think you guys are crazy lol this isn't doing BVS numbers or anywhere close. It's not Batman. It's not Superman. It's totally unknown and just doesn't look fun enough. A lot has to change between now and when that movie comes out to make it any sort of big hit.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  4. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    if indepdence day 2 only makes 200 million or less unadjusted that would be a worse disaster then TFA making less then ROTS imo.

the original made 300 million 20 years ago. anything less then that unadjusted at its prodcution costs then BOOM.....

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

Could the same have been said about GOTG months prior to its release?

6. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I'm a fan of the original Independence Day and have been waiting for a sequel for some time already... Now that one has become reality, let's hope it is able to match the original in terms of storyline, action, characters, etc... Although the special effects will obviously beat the 1996 movie, for sure!

And as for Suicide Squad, that's an unknown quantity for me, just like Deadpool (not a big Marvel or DC comics fan, even if many of my friends back in school were)... But who knows, it can potentially be this year's other surprise box office movie, also following Deadpool's footsteps?

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Warcraft currently has a 19% on RT. Ouch.

And expecting ID4 2 to make $300 million domestic is a bit much. Yes ID4 was the top grossing movie in 1996 topping $300 million but different time/world, one where will Smith was king of the summer blockbuster. Not true anymore. He isn't even in this one lol.

8. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    300 might be asking too much but i dont think 200 is. im guesssing with all the special effects i've seen in the trailers this movie is at least 200 milllion in budget to make.

9. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Unfortunately, what you say is quite true... The Fresh Prince is the notable absentee in "Resurgence" and that can potentially be a big dent to the box office of this sequel to the popular "Independence Day"... Although it's good some of the original guys like Goldblum and Pullman are still around, together with newbies led by Liam Hemsworth, Jessie Usher, and Maika Monroe (following TFA style of casting the old and the new?)...

This should help keep the nostalgia alive and ensure that both the fans of the 1996 blockbuster as well as those curious one to know how the second and more massive alien invasion will look like! =D=

dolphin likes this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    But is Independence Day the kind of movie that generates tons of nostalgia? It was big but did it have the cultural presence seen from SW, Jurassic Park, or Indy? I don't think so-not by a long shot.

I think that low $200's ($200-$220 million) is probably a pretty decent guess.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    then again whens the last time will smith had a real hit?

BTW TFA is not listed on the weeend report at all. i think its finally out of theatres :(

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  13. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And with that, we bid this thread adieu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.