main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII: Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tommytom, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    Alright, Star Wars fans. I'm bad at searching for things, so if this topic's already in existence, apologies!

How will you all react to the film if it's bad? Will you say "Oh well, still got 2 more films" or already consider it "non-canon" in your mind? What do you think you would do?

I would ask the same for good, but I think we all know the answer to that.

Speaking of which - based on what you've seen and heard already, how well do you think the film will end up being anyway?

2. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I am confident this will be good. I pretty much have zero doubts that it'll at least be "decent".

if it's bad oh well.

vagabondarts likes this.
  3. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    It can't be worse than the PT. I expect things to only go in a positive direction from here on out.

4. vagabondarts

vagabondarts Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2015
    I am going to love it no matter what.
    Looking forward to seeing a new star wars movie in the theatre.... a feeling I've not felt since... **turns and walks away**

SkywalkerOG and DarthSheev like this.
  5. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Both teasers are better than the entirety of Phantom Menace in my eyes. Looks amazing, and like Uncivilized said above it can't be any worse than the prequels. This could very well become my favorite SW movie. It'll take a lot to top Empire though, that movie is a work of art of the finest caliber.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Seriously doubt it won't at least be decent given everything we know, and could well be great.

Bad would be disappointing but not the end of the world, as many SW movies will be coming, but it's a moot point, it won't be bad.

7. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    What I'm actually looking forward to is the element of surprise. With the PT it was known how the trilogy was going to end before it started.

Lee_ and Blake Starstrider like this.
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

KenW likes this.
  9. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    its gonna be the baddest friggin movie in the galaxy thats what it will be....but seriously looks awesome to me i grew up with the ot trilogy and have no love for the pt trilogy, JJ and lucasfilm are nailing it for me.
    I saw the teaser in front of ultron the other day, it looks stunning...this is JJ's baby and it oozes quality, the trailer was better than ultron!

10. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I'm quite confident I will like the movie, but if it does turn out to be bad, I could see the reason being that it was too faithful to the OT, swinging too far in the opposite direction from the Prequels, with nothing new to say or not moving the SW universe into fresh territory.

But even if it is bad, it will be supremely fascinating to me. Star Wars movies are cultural events, both signs of their times and innovators in some form or another. The reaction to these movies are arguably as important as the quality of the films, which is why no matter how good or bad it is, I will have fun analyzing it.

...unless the spinoffs result in Star Wars fatigue, where a SW movie might start to become less of an event and simply another blockbuster. Could it ever get to that point for us hardcore fans? I guess we'll see!

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i'll live and i'll appreciate it for what it is, not moan about it until i expire.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Just suppress all your bad feelings deep down inside - that's what I do

Every now and then I find a two day crack binge "clears the cache".

StoneRiver likes this.
  13. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    My biggest fear is that this will feel too much like the original trilogy and won't do enough to create its own identity like The Phantom Menace and its following movies did. Although, if that's your biggest fear for a movie like this, then it's safe to say its floor is pretty good.

If it does turn out to be A New Hope with The Force Awakens Skin Pack, then yes, I'll be disappointed, but it could be a good idea in the long run. Because even if Abrams, a long-time fan, treats this like a remake (e.g. Star Trek) and not a sequel, it was for a good reason in letting all the prequel haters and sequel doubters know that this is back to the quality of the originals. If the long-time fans see that the Star Wars they grew up with and became such big fans of was back and basking in all its former glory, then they'll be bound to join the younger fans who grew up with the prequels and will see the new Star Wars anyway.

That's a good plan to get everyone on the same page for Episode VIII, which we now know will be written and directed by Rian Johnson, a very inspired and creative director, someone who's the polar opposite of J. J. Abrams. Abrams is known for making nostalgia-inducing, derivative films such as Super 8, Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, while Johnson's films are very original and thought-provoking. While Abrams' films are fun, lively movie spectacles that everyone can enjoy for one reason or another, Johnson turns your brain inside out and creates something that you either love or hate (usually the former in his case), just like Irvin Kershner.

All I'm saying is, if Disney creates a film that you feel you've seen before and makes you a little unnerving for the future, don't lose faith. There's a reason why Johnson was put in the director's chair for Episode VIII and it would be a waste of his talent to make him write something that is just another imitative sequel. He's also writing Episode IX if that helps.

By the way, don't take this as an Abrams rant, because now after reading it over, it sounds a little like that. I think Abrams was the absolute perfect choice for The Force Awakens and will do the best job out of it that he can. I wouldn't swap him for anybody, and as long as we still have new directors coming in for their takes on the saga in future movies, I'll be excited.

14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think for a lot of people there will be a strong line in the sand if this is bad between what they consider "real" Star Wars and "Disney's" Star Wars.

KenW and vagabondarts like this.
  15. Son_of_Rancor

Son_of_Rancor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I will be worried if the film I enjoy the film the first time I see it. It will mean it is too much of a crowd pleaser and blockbuster film like Avengers. Fun, but no desire to ever see it again as long as my black heart still beats.
    I want to hate it it on its release. I want to come out of the cinema feeling confused, spiritless and disconsolate. Then go and see it two or three more times. Again, convincing myself that there's some good in it, just like Luke's hope for his father.
    Then, the home release comes, and I buy it for full price on the first day, and watch it some more. Maybe three times in one week. I still can't feel anything for it's brash, constant action, inappropriate humour and nonsensical, serendipitous plot. But there's a few bits I like. A single scene that manages to capture StarWars, a cool shot that takes me back to my childhood, a homage to something I love. After a year or two, I find myself defending it in conversation. I point out all the good and clever things about it. I watch it some more. Eventually, once the trilogy is finished, once it the actors are all old and some even dead, I begin to regard it as highly as the originals, I begin to love it.

KenW likes this.
  16. Son_of_Rancor

Son_of_Rancor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I hate to burst your bubble, but the The Phantom Menace is still the greatest Science Fiction film, ever made... if you judge it by it's two, utterly remarkable trailers.
    So to Judge TFA as being better based on its inferior teasers is folly. Folly I tell you!

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I don't expect great. The OT is the holy grail. Everything else aligns under "any Star Wars is better than no Star Wars"

18. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Rehash and predictability are my main concerns. I think STID can mostly be blamed on the writers but man, that movie is the one that haunts my nightmares about TFA.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  19. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Yeah, I'm just hoping its good for a blockbuster movie. Along the lines of Guardians of the Galaxy and Days of Future Past, I'll be happy. I don't need this to be Dark Knight or Lord of the Rings level great.

20. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Based on the content of the teasers - looks rather unoriginal. I know that's an easy, cliché word to use. Heck, how many films these days are original? Is SPECTRE - the new Bond film - original? I doubt it? Age of Ultron? Nope. Mad Max: Fury Road? Nope, looks like more of the same stuff from earlier Mad Max films. You can quote endless examples of films that aren't original.

Perhaps TFA will feel a bit too 1977's SW. That is my gut feeling and concern. But that doesn't mean it will be a poor SW film. I think the villain is key. If Kylo Ren is a memorable villain, someone the heroes find almost impossible to defeat, someone the audience find really scary or powerful, I think TFA can be a success. Darth Vader was a truly memorable villain in ANH. Remember his first scenes in Ep 4? I think it's imperative Kylo Ren has a similar 'don't mess with this guy!' vibe. And it's established early on in the film.

Another key ingredient is the chemistry/likability factor of Ren and Finn. If they seem the type of heroes we want to support this is a huge plus point. We also have to accept some people - racist people - will find a reason to dislike Finn. There is a lot of racial tension in the US at the moment (recent riots in Baltimore), and sadly, I feel some people will use Boyega's casting as a cheap excuse to dislike TFA.

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    When Kylo takes that helmet off there will be groans this is Twilight Star Wars.

KenW likes this.
  22. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    No better or worse than Star Trek Into Darkness.

23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's shaping up to be a good film. There's still an awful lot we don't know about it offcourse. It could be a great SW film. We'll all know one way or the other in December.
    And KenW what the hell do you care? If I remember rightly, didn't you say your not going to bother seeing it anyway? Begs the question really..

24. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    If VII is somehow poorly received by the general audience, I'll still have way more confidence in VIII than I did III since each film will have a new director with a potentially different take on the series and Disney's much better at learning from its mistakes than Lucas, as well as much more willing to consider fans' complaints.

Disney will do absolutely everything in their power to make VIII work.

25. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure the movie will be nothing but great. Even if it's bad I will still watch all the other movies after but I have faith it'll be epic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.