main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII is the first Post Star Wars Movie

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jabbadabbado, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I understand you now, I think.

Red_Leader_313 likes this.
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Honestly, I don't think we've seen anything visually extraordinary in any of the trailers. It hints at something effective. It's clean and it evokes ANH. It's a victory for OT nostalgia, but not necessarily for originality/novel visual appeal.

The ship sequences were nothing we haven't already seen done well in, say, the nearly decade old BSG. The practical effects looked promising.

We'll see what happens with the next set of trailers.

3. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Yes, and i do not think that is a bad thing. To many trailers are throwing those "moneyshots" at us, to early, or they have nothing else to offer in the finished product. Would consider Fury Road as something that proves the opposites though. The trailer looked fantastic. So did the film. Did you see the new MI5 trailer released today? Well hello. Tom Cruise clinging on to that plane - again. Gee, i would almost be disappointed with them not topping that scene, when i see the actual film. Think Abrams is clever with this, he build characters, presenting those small personal and cute moments ( cute as in BB8!) and hides the big spectacles for us. Emotional attachment is important now. Last time i was in the cinema, the trailers before the movie i saw was coming with thunder, but not so much applause. The Jurassic World, Terminator reboot etc, teenagers sitting next to me...yawning.

Darth Dookacas likes this.
  4. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    What we have seen so far in the trailers is just a small taste of what we will actually see. The build up with two great teaser trailers that got over 100 million views says a lot. People are loving what they see so far. Star Wars in it's self is a novelty. It is a style of storytelling and a world that is unique to cinema. The marketing of TFA has been clever IMO. I agree that nostalgia was used to reassure fans that this is going to be going back to it's roots but I doubt it will undermine the look of the film. I think they have been wise to focus blending CG and practical instead of trying to set a record for CG shots in a movie. Star Wars has already set the standard and I am pretty sure if there was a new technology to advance the making of the film they would use it. We will get some serious money shots in the next trailer but I am more interested in how the dialogue is delivered. Why? Because the look of the film is the least of my concerns when it comes to Star Wars. I am confident it will look amazing.

Othini likes this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    People are loving what they see because the TFA trailers remind them of 1977 Star Wars. It is essentially a visual gimmick rooted in mimicry. And if the whole movie relies on that gimmick it will be a bit sad. Definitely a sign of post-saga Star Wars, and a sign that Disney has all but given up on trying to bring a new generation of fans into the movies.

6. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

My kids saw the 2nd teaser trailer and are drawing x-wings for the first time in their lives. If Disney is trying to capitulate, the new generation is giving them no quarter.

EHT and Jabbadabbado like this.
  7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    may they have better luck and hopefully more talent than I had. Curse you Star Wars Sketchbook.

Millennium Fairlane likes this.
  8. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

They did have to tell me they were x-wings. To which I of course responded that I could certainly tell that before they told me!

EHT and Jabbadabbado like this.
  9. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    The post saga Star Wars idea is your subjective thought or creation. Of course it would be sad if it all relies on a gimmick. Do you really believe that will happen? You admit Star Wars will never be the same without John Williams....we all get older and look back at the good times, the good days. Me too. I did not want to watch Michael Jackson doing the moonwalk to Thriller, when he turns 60, as much as i care for watching a reboot of ANH. But from what i have seen so far...its going forward, in the right direction. For the fans who experienced Star Wars like 30 years ago, it might feel like missing your first love.

10. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    It SHOULD remind them of 1977 SW... it's part of the same story, taking place in the same universe. To me, it would be more of a "visual gimmick" if they started throwing in flashy new stuff just to say, "Look what we can do!" That's one of the problems I had with the prequels at times-- too many visual gimmicks that seemed to be there purely the sake of saying, "Check out what technology can do now!"

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    There was no inherent reason to choose a story that related so closely in time and in characters to the OT. That was likely a choice made as a marketing/business decision before any script was written. There was most likely a Disney directive requiring the careful leveraging of OT nostalgia as a major marketing strategy for the next iteration of Star Wars.

Even if it's a good choice from the point of view of marketing and revenue and audience attendance, it makes the job of being visually original harder if not impossible. Disney went after reliable dollars instead of hitting for the really big dollars.

And it diminishes the legacy of Star Wars to some extent to so deliberately forego originality. At least the PT had ambition. Even if it failed to really deliver.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. Darth Dookacas

Sep 29, 2014
    I don't understand the claims on it being a gimmick. I respectfully disagree with your opinion. From what I have seen so far TFA looks like it should. A sequel to ROTJ. I looks different in some ways it look similar in some ways. I was watching ROTS the other day and enjoyed the gradual shift in look to ANH. It makes sense for TFA to look similar to the OT era. I believe it will have its own unique feel to it.Each Star Wars movie does IMO. I think it is a little early to make your claim. We have not scene enough to claim visual mediocrity.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Either the marketing, or the whole movie, or both, are being built around a framework of OT nostalgia. If it's just that the art design of the movie was designed from the ground up to ape the style of ANH, then I think that is going to pose a fundamental limit on the movie and the new saga to find a unique and appealing visual style that will really excite audiences.

The OT is old hat. Everyone in the U.S. is intimately familiar with its iconography. We can all watch the OT almost any time we want on almost any medium. You're not going to be able to excite audiences to an Avatar kind of level without the novel visual appeal that both the OT and the PT offered.

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    not my style.

15. Darth Dookacas

Sep 29, 2014
    If the marketing campaign was based on nostalgia Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, and the Droids would have been front and center in the first and second trailer. If it was a gimmick it would have the OT characters featured more to stir up the hype. The look of the film should be a slight progression in design from OT to TFA. In 30 years a lot can change but look at the designs of modern cities. Skyscraper designs have evolved but do we have a levitating building or flying cars? Not yet, so why does Star Wars have to be so different visually? Avatar made a lot of money but nobody puts it in there top 10 greatest movies list. Flash in a pan, in a society that puts more value in popularity trends more than actual value. If the movie is good people who don't even like Star Wars will be claiming to be fans, just because it is popular. If the movie is bashed those same people will be writing articles about how it sucks.

lovelikewinter and Artoo-Dion like this.
  16. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

I hear you. Maybe "iconic" was a poor choice of words.

But only maybe... :) I guess it's a totally subjective thing, and maybe my judgment is clouded by nostalgia, and maybe there is a "right design at the right time element to it", but I just don't feel like the ship designs in the PT (or TFA, that we've seen) are as *appealing* as those in the OT. I don't know if "appealing" is the right word. It's this impulse I feel to want to draw, or to model, or to study in detail, or to fly in, one design over another. I felt that impulse about just about every vehicle in the OT. I felt that impulse (if at all) toward only a few vehicles in the PT or TFA (so far).

Not hating on the PT here, btw -- the designers had a very tough challenge there. Lucas wanted the visual style to reflect a completely different esthetic, and on top of that there had to be something of a visual progression across the 3 PT films that led to the designs in ANH. I get that. I also get that there are some people who will think the ships in the PT are the bee's knees. Rock on.

p.s. I agree the Enterprise is iconic, but not only because of its placement in history. It's a great design. It's appealing. When I see that thing, I want to draw it. I want to fly on it. I want to know how it works. I want to study it. I want to build a model of it.

p.p.s. Maybe another example will illustrate the point I'm trying to make. Here's a design that's *not* iconic but is *appealing* (to me anyway; YMMV):

[​IMG]

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  17. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Loved, loved, LOVED that thing. By far my favorite bit of OT swag that I owned as a kid. Would kill to get my copy back.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    you and me both. Notice it was 4.95 back then, but you can get a copy now for ~$30.

Xinau likes this.
  19. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Interesting:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...virtual-reality-to-movie-experience/71064884/

This has some bearing on the whole "one essential element of Star Wars is groundbreaking VFX" thesis, I think. If so, would this count, Jabba? ;)

The "Kennedy" in the quote is Kathleen, of course.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Is this ILM getting folded into Disney's Imagineering department? Theme park attraction next gen.

[​IMG]

21. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Dunno, but don't think so. Seems more of a separate unit that could be deployed to augment other lines of business: film, theme parks, toys, etc.

YouTube video just dropped:

22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Don't tell me how to do your job!

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This. It would make "business sense" to approach marketing from a nostalgic point of view, IMO-and then introduce the new things in between once we see TFA finally. From everything we've seen so far, it seems like they are paying close attention to not having it lean too far one way or another.

Although I wouldn't really think the PT "failed to deliver" (them being the top grossing films of the years surrounding each of their releases). Perhaps with dialogue, Jar Jar, etc, but IMO not visually. The effects and and CG environments were cutting edge for the time (just like the OT was for ITS time), and IMO still looks beautiful even today, especially on blu-ray.

But I do definately agree with the fact that it sacrifices the opportunity to create something fresh new and innovative (what SW is known for) with the ST, if they try too hard to trigger a sense of nostalgia brought about with the OT. I didn't get this impression from the trailers, but rather it looks like there's a nice balance of everything; OT nostalgia, a little PT flavor, and fresh new ideas to make this trilogy its own. Actually I think it won't be until we see Episode VIII that we finally get a TRUE representation of the tone and atmosphere (visually as well as story/character wise) the PT will become known for. I, for one am really looking forward to that: having three individual trilogies, each representing three different eras, each with their own themes and feel.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Today June 12th is the anniversary of the day that could have changed the world and we wouldn't even know it.

THIS DAY IN STAR WARS HISTORY 06.12.62

George Lucas survives a car accident days before high school graduation. He resolves to enroll in Modesto Junior College to study psychology, anthropology, and philosophy.

All because of a seat belt that broke. If it hadn't he would have been killed and everything Star Wars doesn't exist.

Interesting write-up here:

http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=7629

DaddlerTheDalek and TX-20 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.