main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode VII pre/post production goes global yet again. ILM London office opens.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by fuzzbox77, Feb 13, 2014.

1. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    It sounds as though it's all systems go with Episode VII with the very recent announcement of the central London offices of ILM opening for pre/post production of the sequel trilogy.

Since ILM has been broken down over the last 2 years with various departments being disbanded and staff being let go - does this mean ILM will be back on form by the building of a new team of respectable British digital and miniature artists and of differing nationalities respectively?

Although it means a healthy return to SW's spiritual home of England (inclusive of Pinewood Studios sound stages and UK based sculptors, set builders/riggers, lighting contractors, commissioned prop builders etc. like with Episodes I & IV-VI) - what do people now think of the future Episodes' being done well given the time scale regarding the 18th December 2015 release date and 3 different ILM branches working on those movies collectively?

Some have said in the past that it sounds like a rushed production rate despite the release date being pushed back. But can it still be done in a very effective and time reflective manner since there are now only 22 months left?

2. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    It won't be a problem. Lots of big effects movies get completed in a year. I like the release date too. I think it means less competition for SW, compared to a crowded summer schedule.

fuzzbox77 likes this.
  3. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    We can only hope. In the case of miniature effects, let's hope there is a subtle blend of CGI opposed to the former in reversal. I do hope that the script is original and not drawing too much influence from the EU or too much of George's input.

Even though the given timescale - The prequels weren't rushed and look at the criticism they had not just for story content/delivery - the compositing was very debatable in places. But saying that - Disney hasn't given a definitive budget for the ST. Anything can happen! :)

4. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I wouldn't worry about the effects. JJ has an affinity for old school effects as well as digital. Into Darkness looked good to my eyes. Not everybody has the pull of James Cameron to tinker until they get exactly what they want.

Seems a lot of people are worried about George's input. I'm not one of them. After all he's responsible for the whole thing.