main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Release Date Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Not sure how much it factors into release schedules, but something to consider is DVD/Blu Ray sales for Christmas time. You get a prolonged holiday season with movie releases that came out in the summer.

December works for LOTR movies because they always release the DVD in spring/summer and the extended editions for Christmas. For winter Harry Potter movies we got the same with the Ultimate Edition DVD/BR releases. That even happened for Avatar. This is not something we get for Star Wars.

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    That is a good point. IF they release in May they likely make their summer gross in worldwide box office of about 500 million. Add in another billion in merchandising sales with tie-in and toys and whatnot. Then add in a chunk for Christmas DVD sales. It makes much more sense than just making box office for Christmas. Although, likely this would also include a slew of toy sales.

I don't know, I think they could go either way, but I prefer May.

3. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Pirates is delayed until 2016. They are reassessing the budget trying to get it under $200 million.

Yancy

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    No doubt in response to the 215 mil Lone Ranger debacle. I hadn't heard it but not surprised.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, seems like a logical connection... I hadn't even heard about the poor performance of the Lone Ranger. Before I saw these posts, though, earlier today I was actually thinking to myself, "wait, the Lone Ranger already came out, right?" :p

On the other hand, POTC has at least been a successful series overall so far.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I honestly doubt DVD sales have a lot to do with the release date of Star Wars. Star Wars is one of those movies that make money on the DVD sales no matter what, built in audience and all.

7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i'm hoping for a May 2015 release.

mes520 likes this.
  8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Those budgets are getting ridiculous.
    Not every movie needs 200+ million dollars to work. Or at least, give 10 million to a decent writer and get a meaningful script out for a change.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  9. darth_saruman12345

darth_saruman12345 Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2013
    i just had an EPIC idea

what if they went all old school and released avengers and vii as a DOUBLE FEATURE ok im only 24 but they did this a lot in the old days right? it would be avengers first than a brief inter mission than episode vii yeah wed prob have to pay per film but a buttload of people are going to see both films anyway right?

10. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that such a move is not a viable option as far as profits are concerned, for one reason or another. Also, people have a much smaller attention span these days, where many would object to sitting 5+ hours in a movie theatre.
    If double features were still "a thing" that would happen on a regular basis.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  11. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I could see theaters doing that later in the release just to make a few more bucks before the BluRays come out. Definitely not initially, though.

12. darth_saruman12345

darth_saruman12345 Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2013
    well if you had actually read my post properly ud realize i didnt say they were still a thing i sad they were at one point

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    And what The Hellhammer is saying (if you'd read his post) is that if people were still willing to sit through two movies back to back, double features would still be happening.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  14. Inappropriate Username

Inappropriate Username Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2013

Yes but you presented the idea as a "hypothetical" thereby leaving it open to consideration and scrutiny. I see where you coming from though, and, for some movie-going sci-fi fans this might seem like a nifty idea, but like someone said above, attention spans are short enough already and if it were a profitable business tool it would already be more widely in use ;)

edit: eht13 beat me to it

15. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well Terminator reboot has been moved to July so take that as you may.....probably means nothing but hey....might as well take note of every shifting release date

16. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Yeah just noticed it...

Jeff Sneider@TheInSneider 1m
    BREAKING: NEBRASKA moves from 11/22 to 11/15 ltd. TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION opens June 27, 2014. TERMINATOR moves from 6/26/15 to 7/1.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    My butt and back would object as well.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  18. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Jeff Sneider@TheInSneider 14s
    So TERMINATOR is scheduled to open against INDEPENDENCE DAY 2 and an Illumination movie? Hmmm... Pattinson should be the new Furlong!

P.S. Wondering if these movie back as to doing with Episode VII.

19. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    My theory is that the Terminator movie moved because well....Pixar. Its like every studio is terrified of them since they practicly own the child market

20. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
  21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Just hearing the phrase "Terminator reboot" makes me :rolleyes:

22. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

If it's really set in the 40s/50s it could be cool.

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I heard it will be set in the 40' / 50's where the Terminator will go back to try & kill Sarah Connor's parents .....Staring Arnold & Dwayne Johnson now that would be cool !.........

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    And then in the next reboot, a Terminator can go back to destroy the Mayflower... Sarah Connor may have descended from some of them.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Too risky. He'll go back to the Garden and get all Biblical on Adam and Eve and take an axe to the root.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.