main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode VII Release Date

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Gobi-1, Oct 31, 2012.

?

When do you think Episode VII will come out?

1. May of 2015.

65.2%
  2. Another month during summer 2015.

12.1%
  3. Thanksgiving 2015.

2.3%
  4. Christmas 2015

6.1%
  5. Will be delayed until 2016.

14.4%
  1. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    memorial day weekend belongs to star wars.
    yep, memorial day weekend belongs to star wars. All other movies should politely step aside, lol.

2. jps78

jps78 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    I actually think that this is an interesting question,obviously everyone is speculating that as always the third week of May more than likely May 22nd will be the release date. I however don't agree with this, Avengers 2 is dropping May 1 and I cant see Disney putting both of their tent pole franchises in the same month to compete against each other. There is also a Pixar film being released a month later in June, Disney is smart enough to not take money out of their own pockets. I actually think that Christmas of 15 will be when EP VII drops its gives them a full three years and I really think that Disney wants to take on the really big fish.....Avatar 2. Ive read several statements from industry insiders saying that Disney made a huge mistake with this purchase because Star Wars just isn't culturally popular anymore (wtf do they know) and specifically because of Avatar the saga just doesn't matter anymore. So I couldn't see any better chance for Disney to prove everyone wrong than setting up a epic battle for Christmas of 2015 between Avatar 2 and EP VII

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think Disney are deluding themselves if they think they can have a Star Wars film released by 2015. Even assuming they work faster than George (wouldn't be hard) I reakon nearer 2016 or 2017 personally.

dolphin likes this.
  4. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    They can reach the 2015 date if they have already started work, so if they're confident about that date-- they have.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  5. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    They had three years to make four of the six movies. And Lucas already has a script treatment.

6. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    Disney wouldn't have said 2015 if they didn't intend to stick to it. It would look bad if they couldn't meet the deadline they set themselves. I think more has gone on behind the scenes than we know.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  7. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    You're dealing with Kathleen Kennedy here, though; she's not some 'fly-by-night' moviemaker that the execs at Disney can steamroll over; she's a seasoned, veteran producer with over 120 films to her credit who has worked with a number of major filmmakers and knows what it takes to get big blockbuster films made, and if she didn't think the 2015 date was reachable, it wouldn't have been announced.

TreborSabreon and Moorplant like this.
  8. Moorplant

Moorplant Jedi Master

Feb 26, 2004
    They were pretty ballsy in straight up announcing a 2015 date so I think they'll go for it unless pre production gets stuck in a huge rut. Potentially having Avengers 2 and Ep VII gives Disney the chance to completely dominate the summer and has probably made a lot of other movie execs want to hide under their chairs with the potential scheduling mess they now face. I wonder if WB will blink and Justice League will get rescheduled for 2016.

I guess they were already negotiation for LFL when they announced Avengers as May 1 so I'd say they'll either go for July for Ep VII. I guess it's possible they'll switch the two around and give SW its traditional May release. It's also possible they'll go for another tack and release it in Nov/Dec ala several Harry Potters, Bond and LOTR/TH etc.

9. teezeee

teezeee Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2012
    I would say May 21, 2012 - it's consistent with releasing the episodes in mid-May and it's a Thursday. The previous episodes were released on:

Episodes I, IV, V, VI - Wednesday
    Episodes II, III - Thursday

Since II and III are the most recent I suppose they made some analysis that showed that releasing a movie on Thursday will be more profitable. May 21, 2012 seems like the perfect date, it's a Thursday and it's the middle of May.

Either way, if that's true I created http://www.howlonguntilstarwars.com - Enjoy!

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The script wasn't complete for AotC or RotS until spring the following year of the previous movie release. During the last couple months of script writing, they already were doing location scouting and preliminary casting, and filming began in the summer.

They already have a solid treatment, making a script for the first movie will just be a matter of a few months. During which, location scouting and casting will begin. Thus ultimatley it is currently in the same track for successful May 2015 release just as AotC and RotS were.

11. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Avengers 2 is down for 1st May. Star Wars down for 25th May??? Might just work in this shortened box office run but I would bet one of these will move. Avengers could go back a week into April which would give it four weeks lead time before Star Wars came out. I can't see Disney not taking advantage of the late May date for Star Wars. Better for Disney to lose Avenger dollars to their own brand. I would bet the other studios would clear the early summer run with that double whammy. Together with Justice 2015 looks like it could be a hell of summer.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Disney has already booked 1st of May for The Avengers 2, so they're not going to put two of their films up against each other. I think July will be a good month for Star Wars.

13. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    If I was a bettin' man I would say May 2016. 2015 is just too soon, with the huge amount of pre-production, pre-visualization, even the costumes. Part of the problem is that we don't really know how far along they are at this point (If you know for sure enlighten us). If they are just starting out, I don't see 2015 as a reality. But if they are actually far along in the pre-prod process then May 2015 has a fighting chance. Disney does indeed have a larger army of filmmaking gurus at its disposal than Lucas did.

14. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I would bet Avengers would be moved first as there is not set "tradition" for an Avengers release. Star Wars releases in May, always has, always will.

15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I want it to be May 19th again! The Avengers 2 will already be out for 2 weeks which is plenty of time for it to do well at the BO before VII.

16. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    It will be released in May. That is not negotiable.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  17. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    They will release it anywhere but the same month as Avengers. Any weekend they schedule it, they'll scare all the other movies off the schedule.

18. JTShiro

JTShiro Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I would bet Avengers 2 gets moved to July and Star Wars Ep 7 gets May 2015 in its place. Another possibility is Disney front loads the summer with Avengers 2 in early May, Star Wars in late May, and whatever Pixar movie they are releasing in June

19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Looking at the May Calendar in 2015... May 1st is a full 4 weeks before Memorial Day Weekend. The Avengers could easily keep that May 1st release date, and then give Star Wars the extended Holiday start on May 27th or 28th... giving the Avengers a full 3+ weeks of theater domination before Star Wars sweeps in and takes over.

I don't think the Avengers has to move at all in that scenario. It will be a Disney/Marvel/Lucas dominated month in the theaters that will scare off all other blockbuster threats into June or later.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    May 14th, 2015.

/LM

21. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Avengers 2 is set to be released May 1, 2015. Star Wars movies traditionally get released between May 16 (AOTC) and May 25 (ANH, ROTJ).

Two huge movies, the same parent company. Are the release dates too close for comfort?

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    At least they're not the same weekend.

23. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    The biggest advantage, either way, is getting the trailer for one to play before the other. Big movies lead to more big movies... the more butts you have in the seats watching one, the more people you get to promote the next one to...

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  24. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Already been covered. Avengers can stay at May 1 and still have 3+ Weeks before Star Wars would be released on the extended Memorial Holiday on either May 27th or 28th. No problems at all.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  25. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Not sure that three weeks is enough..... Avengers 2 will still be hauling in a boatload at that time unless it is fed direct competition... like Star Wars which plays to the same demographic.