main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode VII teaser trailer - it's here!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by DarthWilliams, Nov 28, 2014.

1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I cannot believe how many negative feelings this evoked.

"it feels like advertising to me" -- um -- its a Trailer. Movie Trailer. AKA - Advertising. Holy marbles.

How anyone STILL comes here with a bad attitude is beyond me.

Why I barely ever come here -- EVER. I want to -- I really do -- but they I read this silliness.

Guess what? Some things are gonna be different and some will not. Holocron -- Continuity -- whatever -- jeez louise on my commute to work the same stores, people, clothing styles, gun varieties that cops use -- wait -- they have all changed. Even after a mere 20 years in my apartment --

Good grief

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Haters are gonna hate. It's all they know to do. It's in their midichlorians.

BigAl6ft6 and Pensivia like this.
  3. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

[​IMG]

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    They see me rollin', they hatin'...

Pensivia and solo77 like this.
  5. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    As Lulu_Mars pointed out, I was saying that the visuals of this movie will blow the visuals of the other two trilogies out of the water, which is expected (at least for me). This teaser just confirmed this.

Of course, as you said, there is no way to know if this movie will be way better than the others by an 88 second teaser.

DarthWilliams likes this.
  6. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    True - the visuals look stunning.

It's odd to me how much I heard people drooling over Abrams' commitment to practical effects over CGI as if there wouldn't be any CGI in the film (no one in particular here, I'm thinking of some folks in 7SA when I was still over there). The Falcon sequence looks stunning.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    One little details that's been bugging me about the Falcon. Look at the engine -

[​IMG]

And compare to the OT -

[​IMG]

8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Looks like there's a version on iTunes now, SD and HD 1080p

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm looking. What am I supposed to se?

(added spoiler tag to hide the huge picture in the quote [face_peace] )

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    My opinion on the teaser trailer:

I liked it. But it didn't blow me away.

The good
    Abrams visual style is really something. You notice he has his own style of shooting scenes, but I find this a good thing. I don't want a poor imitation of George Lucas. Abrams is very creative with camera angles, staging scenes and so on. It is something I loved in Star Trek, I will love it here.

John Boyega as hero? An imperial stormtrooper as hero? Yes, please!

The X-Wings/heroes/hero vehicles are gritty, the stormtroopers are shiny/sterile, just like in the OT, just how it should be. The designs are pretty neat aside from that awkward swordthing.

The falcon, damn it, the falcon.

The bad
    The voice over was pretty generic and just failed to impress me. Lots of pathos, no real emotion.

The trailer was all hectic action and mostly didn't really feel like Star Wars. I hope Abrams tones down the speed compared to Trek and leaves us some room to breathe. The movie will be better for it.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  11. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Looks like we'll be getting another trailer in front of Avengers 2. Unclear if we'll see another teaser before then. My guess is no, and that since the Avengers release date (May 1) is pretty close to Celebration (April 16-19), Celebration will have either an exclusive premiere of the trailer or a sneak peek of some kind. Exciting stuff.

anakinfansince1983 and EHT like this.
  12. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    This part of your comment gave me a brainwave to do the ANH teaser in the style of The Force Awakens using either some Vader or Obi-Wan Force dialogue and cuts of the more urgent stuff from ANH (that would lead them ...home! in the landspeeder etc) but a couple have already been done on YT.

Hmmm they didn't really work haha! But anyhoo, I think the teaser doesn't necessarily give a clue as to the pace of the final movie, and I'm sure if you cut the right bits of the OT together it would make for some equally hectic action

13. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I'm sure he will - I think everyone involved was eager to make the trailer as exciting as possible, for both fans and non-fans. Sure, we all would have freaked out over a minute of character shots showing us Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, and the droids, but this kind of fast-paced action-packed teaser gets everyone else excited, too. Good move, I'd say.

And I'm not worried about the film feeling too fast. You can take almost any shot from the trailer and pair it with a shot from the PT or OT. My guess is that trailer 2 will be a slower affair that will be more indicative of the overall pace of the film.

14. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm sure it's been said, but on the Falcon it looks like Lando forked out for a rectangle dish to replace the one he broke in ROTJ.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly, it has a rectangular dish now instead. This won't give anything away at this point, so I'll mention it here; that detail was seen already in some leaked set photos. :D

16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    The engine's entirely different. The OT engine has nothing but straight white lines across a blue background, now there's an additional horizontal line further dividing it

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    30 years later. I'm sure Han has done some upgrades over the years.

Sarge likes this.
  18. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014

Yeah, heard he got an 8 track deck in the Falcon!

Kenneth Morgan and Sarge like this.
  19. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    What...I...ah..

hehh...

urghh...

(I'll finish my constipation in one second)

(Wait a few secs)

(Maybe some other secs)

Looks like we are going to see mainly older and overused planets.

I'm also disappointed beyond words about the presence of stormtroopers in this new trilogy. The Rebels vs Imperials story is DONE, no need to prolong the conflict...Are we going to get a new branch of antagonists at all? Novelty in the plot?

I find the speech about the Force awakening eye-rolling material. Fake. Overly dramatized.

If I list the few positives I found in the trailer:

1) The derivation from OT-based machinery-I like the obvious evolution shown in robot & aviation. Feels close to the OT yet unique to this trilogy.

2)Cross lightsaber-was pleasantly surprised to already see a new brand of weaponry, makes me think we are at least going to get new sets of powers & techniques in combats of the ST. Pure speculation of course, but the cross shape of the lightsaber makes me theorize that the cloaked figure shown is possibly Darth Plagueis. After all, the cross is a known symbol of Death, resurrection and rebirth, maybe it's a subtle allusion to his legendary powers to prevent death...The ancient symbolic form of the lightsaber is just the sort of weapon I would expect him to wield. Would be a nice way to tie both trilogies to the ST with DP there. Of course it's equally possible that we have a new villain handling that lightsaber.

I have mixed feelings, mostly of disappointment concerning the trailer. The negatives I observe there are basic things I actually expected Abrams to get right, and the positives I notice are things I had never any hope of seeing. Meh...

20. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Well about that, I have to say -

Tat is the only planet we know for sure that we saw in this teaser. No idea what waters the X-Wing successors were skimming over, or where that trippy, snowy forest was that Darth Whoever was in.
    Logically, it makes sense that at least an Imperial Remnant would be around. They were also in the EU, to be fair. The death of an emperor makes not the death of an empire

21. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I was actually thinking that the voiceover was Darth Plagueis and that dude was his apprentice.

22. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    WWII didn't magically end all of a sudden when Hitler died. History is littered with examples of empires continuing to exist and holding onto the power long, long after one leader of said empire died or fell from power. The Empire had a stronghold on countless star systems with seemingly endless supplies of ships, destroyers, and troops. I don't think it all of a sudden fully collapsed because the Emperor died and the Death Star II blew up.

I remain convinced that the voice-over wasn't actual dialogue from the film. Serkis could have recorded just these lines explicitly for a trailer. Seemed fine to me, even if it is actual dialogue. The dramatization could be really powerful in the context of the actual film.

23. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Didn't you see Robot Chicken? They blew up the Death Star AND they killed the Emperor. That was the magical formula for winning.

Kinda like all the tone poem teasers they had before Episode I. None of the stuff (or almost none of it) in the poems made it into the actual films - which was kind of upsetting for the Darth Maul one.

24. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Seagoat

I thought the snowy forest planet seemed a bit too much like Endor-I really hope they are not messing up the 'one element/weather per planet' pattern. Even if it's not Endor, I find that trees are used a bit too much in SW. We have Yavin and Endor who both were a bit too similar for my taste, not to mention too Earth-like(though I suppose showing one forest planet was unavoidable given the limitation of our 'element options'). I thought trees were fitting in places like Dagobah, Naboo and Kashyyk,and would not have minded one forest planet as a minor location in the OT, but I honestly thought the saga was done introducing forest planets.

It makes sense to use Endor as a ST start point to honor the location in which the Rebels were responsible for their victory in ROTJ, maybe even our golden trio would feel at ease settling there post-empire times. So whilst I would prefer to stay clear off Endor in the ST, I can at least understand its presence in the trailers. Tatooine, not so much. No character that we know of has positive ties with the dustball, and to connect a new character to Tatooine just feels like too small a galaxy to me.

Hasty speculation 02: What if Darth WhoKnows is creating or bringing the 'dark side' to Endor, messing up with the SW laws of nature, thus making it snow(to later freeze, create avalanches or other natural disasters ?). Maybe there is a reason for showing Darth in 'perhapsEndor'...

That watery planet seems like a mix of Alderaan and Naboo. Hopefully we'll get to see more diverse/unique landscape within the planet.

DarthWilliams

I disagree with your interpretation of the post-ROTJ situation. To me the firework displays in various planets shown after the second Death Star explosion was a sign that the conflict was officially over. Why celebrate so openly otherwise? I thought the dominant imperial guys were mostly killed, and the remaining Imps surrendered. Obviously there's going to be some Imps resisting capture, going into hiding and some trying to rebuild the party, but my impression from seeing ROTJ was that there wasn't much left to rebuild for Imps. In 30 years from then, even less(or so I expected) as the Rebels slowly rebuild the Republic. My main frustration with Imps still around as the antagonists was the lack of novelty, though. I would have favored a new villainous hierarchy, a new conflict(maybe arising with a problematic new Republic), a path for Sith-or-insert-force-users-there to dominate other than officially ruling an Empire. Looks like all we're getting is new characters walking into old trails....

BIG Dad Yoda Daddy

That...would actually please me, the idea of Plagueis' conscious(like Voldemort prior to GOF) being 'out there' and training apprentices. I just hope that there will be an end of the Rule of Two. Whilst I adored this twist in the PT, I would rather see a different Sith hierarchy in the ST. Not to mean that I want an excess of Sith because that would make them more common, but maybe 2-5 apprentices(if they can pull it off) would do just fine.

25. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    ^As it turns out, Plagueis now lives on the back of cross-saber guy's head :p