main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode VII to open December 18, 2015

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by The Hellhammer, Nov 7, 2013.

1. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    There is definitely something to be said about a reactive audience. I still remember back in 86, seeing Return of the Jedi and the crowd erupting when Luke went nuts and beat down Vader. I don't remember seeing or hearing a reaction like that since in a cinema.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The best kind of audience is the kind that hardly even breathes during the movie :p
    A loud audience pisses me off to no end!

48 weeks, 5 days... ah, soon!

3. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    New Star Wars coming out this year and I still have no idea what to expect even though I've read some rumors and seen the teaser...

I'm gonna keep it that way. :p I've been away from the SA forum for a month now and it's been easy.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't like a noisy audience but I do like a positively responsive energetic one, and I think most of those have been in the few sneak preview showings I've seen: Jurassic Park, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull all had audiences that laughed and oohed and awed at the right stuff.
    I don't have the desire to go to a midnight showing of The Force Awakens though. Times have changed.

5. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I don't think I could stop myself from a midnight TFA!
    Actually, funny story - I missed the midnight showings of Harry Potter 7 and 8. After we missed the 8th movie, my wife asked me "do you think we'll ever see another midnight showing?" I realized we had gotten too old for that sort of thing, and I told her that I couldn't see any movie coming out in the future that I'd care enough about to see at midnight. Then we got the Star Wars news. I'm already preparing the party for the days leading up to it.

6. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I haven't been to a midnight screening since ROTS and I can't wait for this time around. The excitement is just awesome. Although I'd imagine that, given recent trends, there'll likely be 8pm or 10pm screenings on Thursday night as well (though a part of me does hope they keep it old school and do only midnight - that's the way to get the real big fans out).

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Midnight is over and done with, folks. At least in my neck of the woods. Most Blockbusters get Thursday night shows, sometimes two (a 7 PMish and a 10PMish).

It started because of Twilight because the tweens couldn't stay up until midnight so they moved it to 10 PM. And it stuck . So that's the one good thing Twilight did, we can see it earlier!

Frank T. likes this.
  8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I hate to think that I'm 'too old to see the midnite showing' but the only thing that gives me pause is that stupid incident in Colorado. I'll probably see it relatively early on Friday but I'd LOVE to be part of the Thursday midnite showing. But who will go to those showings, the 'true fans' or just those people who want to say 'I saw it before anyone else?'

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But that was one incident at one theater... I don't think that inherently makes midnight movies a dangerous place to be per se.

At any rate, I won't be at a midnight showing anyway, because I want my first viewing of TFA to be with my son (who will have just turned 9 at that point).

10. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Well, I can foresee midnight because one thing Twilight also did was make marathon screenings nearly mandatory. I know the luxury theater near my house will find a way to show Episodes I-VI before the premiere, and unless they want to start at like 6:00 in the morning, they'll have to at least offer a midnight showing for those viewers. I can't wait!

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Check out the ads for Jupiter Ascending on right now, sez at the top "Thursday night previews" in small letters and then OPENING FRIDAY in big letters underneath. Every blockbuster does that now, there hasn't been a midnight show in years, all Thursday nite.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Or is it?

Rumours has it that JJ wants to move the release to an earlier point in 2015.

"J.J. Abrams has reportedly approached Disney about moving up the Star Wars: The Force Awakens release date. This comes from the mouth of Abrams himself, addressing a group of attendees at a recent industry event, the 2015 Visual Effects Society Awards… this is awards season after-all. Apparently, his desire for secrecy does not apply in this case, as he openly expressed his frustration about the Episode VII leaks."

13. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I think it's way too late in the game for the release date to change significantly - I saw a lot of folks on Twitter suggesting we could see it moved up to this summer. There's just no way. Marketing strategies and plans for a movie this big (which includes a ton of merchandise timed with the release) are made too far in advance for a release date to change significantly 10 months out. Hasbro et al frankly just wouldn't be able to scramble in time to get everything out for the summer. If the date's moved, it'll be to November (Thanksgiving) at the very earliest.

I think this was just JJ quipping to a group of other industry professionals that he was feeling frustrated by leaks and the easy solution would be to move the release date up. I doubt there's anything more to it than that and we'll still need to wait until December 18 to see the thing (much to my chagrin).

I'd love to be wrong, though.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, no arguing there. Not to mention that cutting the post production schedule almost by half would likely not do the movie any favours.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, no way is this release date moving up to the summer.

DarthWilliams likes this.
  16. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Especially given that we're also learning that they've yet to put together a first cut of the movie. December it is, MAYBE November, but that's about 1% likely.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, that's surprisingly slow going, I must say. I would've thought an assembly cut would've been finished about a month ago.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah... I don't think it will move at all from December 18th. I think JJ either didn't say this at all, or he did as a joke in relation to rumors and leaks, which in turn was misunderstood and spread.

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Indeed. It might have been something along the lines of "I said to Kathleen: "I wish we could release it now, so there can't be any more leakes"", and then the media did its thing.

EHT likes this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. :D

21. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Not buying the rumor. Heavy FX laden blockbusters tend to be the movies they are scrambling to finish just in the nick of time, not movies where they say "wow this was so easy let's release it a couple months early!" Especially considering there were filming delays when Harrison Ford was injured.

My next "I can't wait for..." moment is the release of the teaser poster. I already even have the frame. Was hoping to get it in January but those rumors also turned out to be unfounded. :(

BigAl6ft6 and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  22. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I would be ecstatic if this rumor is true, my life would be complete.

23. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Nope...as much as we'd want the movie NOW, I'm still prepared to wait for December.
    I must say, even just some X-wings and a lightsaber with one of those 'classic' logos (think of the bracketed "The Empire Strikes Back" with "Star" on top and "Wars" on the bottom) would do it for me. I can totally see JJ doing just this very thing.

Beezer likes this.
  24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This movie will have a better box office life and room to breathe after the December release than the summer. I hate the way these things are reported, and in just a couple of weeks after a release the press would have those stupid headlines like "Jurassic World chomps Star Wars" or after "The Force Awakens and is quickly put to sleep" just because an opening weekend gross outdoes its gross for that weekend.

Forbidden Island likes this.