main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII to return to 'grittier roots'

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Every movie of the OT heavily focuses on the war and the war drives the protagonists actions. The claim that it is only background is simply incorrect.

2. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I went to AOTC completely spoiler free and still believe that the title AOTC was one of the most brilliant move Lucas made. Like this (no spoilers from the movie or any tie-in novels about the era), it made the impression that the clones are going to be the bad guys attacking the good ones but no, completely the opposite.

I think seeing the casus belli and the huge warship taking off at Coruscant at the end is so much more impressive emotionally than to see numerous battlefields.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That title is also a precursor to what will come in ROTS, which also makes it cool.

With Jabba out of the way, I wonder who the next big kingpin they'll bring up. Rotta, perhaps, or someone new?

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    a Fett escaped from the Saarlac?

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Really? You think Archduke Ferdinand is connected to WWII??? Perhaps you should actually learn to be more interested in the politics surrounding, and the events leading up to, the outbreak of world wars rather than simply being interested in the battles then... :oops:

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  7. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think you do the OT a bit of a disservice. Yes - the events of the OT takes place against the backdrop of a galactic civil war... but the protagonists are very much on the periphery of it until the last 30 mins of ROTJ. Tatooine, Hoth, Cloud City, Dagobah are really only the centre of events for the characters, rather than the centre of events for the galaxy. The OT (IMO) is much more focused on the individual stories of the central characters than it is on actual warfare or indeed the reasons for war. I'd say the drivers for the actions of Luke, Han, Leia and Vader are much more personal than you imply.

8. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    [​IMG]

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That Ewok is still ****ing creepy.

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Haven't you seen ESB? There's only one battle scene, all the way in the beginning, and it's superfluous to the plot. The majority of the rest of the plot drives on Vader chasing Han & Leia because he wants to use them to get to Luke.

11. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Please tell me you're joking. Please.

12. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Prof...i meant WW1....obviously......I wrote that on an IPad this morning....while feeding my son.....you will see that im always editing my post coz of the autocorrect......but bravo for the condescending tone

13. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?!?!? :D

Immortiss likes this.
  14. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Is this the Seinfeld forum ?...my grand father was a veteran of the WW2 and spent 3 years in Holland...i went to Normandy and visited all the Ww1 and Ww2 sites that i could find.....honest autocorrect mistake....will my forum story be the highlight of your day ?

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I liked that the clone wars happened in between AOTC and ROTS, because it left room for a lot of imagination as to what these characters have been thru over the last few years (I know TCW filled that in, but not till AFTER ROTS.), which IMO added depth to their character/motivations.

Also, I think that if we had a whole episode (or episodeS) of battle after battle on planet after planet, it would become messy, and it wouldn't allow space for us to focus on the main characters, and what they're going thru. The films are supposed to be 'during' the clone wars, not 'about' the clone wars. It's not a season of Battles 360 on the History Channel-it's the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall.

I believe it is possible for scope in a film to be TOO wide...which then just makes it a mish mosh of confusing events, none of which we become emotionally invested in.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    That's telling them, sir....[face_clown]

That danged auto-correct! The bane of my existence.

PS. Don't know why I used that emoticon-it just looked funny and I've never used it before!

17. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Dude, relax. Yes, I know it was in all likelihood simply a typographical error. The fact that you know who Archduke Ferdinand was implies that you know which war is associated with having started at his assassination. I was simply quoting Animal House.

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Vader was the driving factor in TESB. He was the active one, while Han and Leia were reactive. And his stated motivation was "we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy".

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    "Don't stop him. He's on a role."

Frank_TJ_Mackey: I'm quoting Animal House, too. In no way am I making fun of you. I know you to be an intelligent fellow and know that you know the difference between the World Wars.[face_peace]

Beezer likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Sounds like Anakin to me... ;)

21. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Martin Scorcesese's Goodwoks.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  22. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4