Lou, KY Episode VII

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by xanatos1975, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Last edited by jedimika, Apr 29, 2014
  2. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
  3. DarKyram Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I find myself more and more and more excited at the prospect of these new films.
  4. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Glad to hear it. I like the cast but now I'm getting a little apprehensive about JJ. Too many big explosions/action pieces in the Trek films, not enough quiet, introspective moments.
  5. DarKyram Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    That's the thing though... JJ Abrams has directed other films aside from the Trek movies. Not all his movies are laden down with super special effects and lens flares.
  6. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Okay, her's your chance to be in Episode VII and give to charity at the same time.
    http://www.theforce.net/story/front/You_Could_Be_In_Episode_VII_158116.asp

It would be great if one of us got this. If you're low on funds you don't even need to donate...you can mail in a chance "For free entry: (i) send post card to Sponsor at PO Box 3190, 1217 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica, California 90408 by applicable mail date; or (ii) visit www.Omaze.com/StarWars. Entrants may receive additional entries via Facebook. "
  7. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Wow! That's a pretty spectacular opportunity! Oh I've gotta go for this one. Thank you for posting this Mika![face_dancing]

And about the explosions and movies depending too much on special effects and things... isn't that a result of the writers and how the script is written? I may not have all of that correctly but I thought those were written into the script?

I didn't think the director had anything to do with special effects and such, only directed the actors within the scenes and getting them to portray the desired emotions and where to stand and what to do and such. [face_batting]

Again, I might not understand how films are produced.
    Last edited by Lord_Zannah, May 22, 2014
  8. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Um. That is a really hard thing to explain Zannah-- but I will try. With my love of models, I have been reading about special effects and movie making sence I first saw Jedi in the theaters really.
    Yes, the writers do write in the special effects, kinda. For example, in Empire Kasdan would write "Imperial Tanks attack rebels in the snow." And then that would turn into the Battle of Hoth. How? Well, that is the job of both the director and the producers. They figure out what they want, and then bring in the Art department. They go back and forth, and figure out the "look" of the battle and story board the scenes, like a comic book.

Durring shooting, yes-- the director is trying to get the actors to portray emotions; but he or she also has to deal with what the effect might be. Maybe there is practical effect, like an explosion. So then the director will have to factor in this explotion AND what the actors will do in reaction to the explotion. Like in every Arnold Swarzinager movie ever, he has to run and then jump away from a fire ball. The fire is real, but it is also several yards away from the actor: but the director uses a camerea with a long depth of feild to make it look like the fireball is right behind him. Or, as in the Battle of Geonosis, the actors were all in a green screen. So, the director would have to tell Sam Jackson to duck left, swing right, etc.

In post production, typically, the director and the producer and the art director work together to get the effects to match up with what was filmed. Or to get an effects shot done just right, so that it can be cut into the film.

At least, that is for most films. Star Wars films are different, in that Lucas is more into the effects then the actors. Lucas (and probably JJ), unlike most directors, start with the art department and THEN write a script. With Star Wars films, the script and the effects shots change often. Lucas works much like a painter than a director-- building up layers and layers, instead of doing things in a particular order.

But, in general, a write will just write a brief discription "Space Battle. Hero's ship dodges laser blasts from larger enimy ships." and the art department fills in the blanks, while the director and or the producer approves or disaproves the art department's version of the effect. And, durring filming-- the effects are taking into account if it affects the way the actor needs to work.

Best,
    Jammies
    (pop in the Episode 1 dvd, and watch the making of documentary. I think it is the best one that really shows the creative process from start to finish.)
  9. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Oh my gosh... I had no idea at all. The writers in all actuality... have it pretty easy. Dialogue with a vague sense of the action going on during those times. It really boils down to the imaginations of all the others involved as to how much action, ect.. is going on. .. oh no.

JJ Abrahms... with what he has previously shown to be his idea of CG ... gulp. Sparkly Storm Troopers anyone?

Thank you my Jammies for taking the time to explain how it actually works. [:D]
  10. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  11. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Thanks for the info Mika... this is pretty exciting stuff here!
  12. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  13. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I know this isn't a new vid but I have to say the Xwing really gets me excited. It's a real prop! You can touch it and climb on it and everything. It has that beat up/weathered Star Wars universe look to it too. Love it!

Last edited by jedimika, Jul 22, 2014
  14. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    I entered to win the contest with four Entries. ... even if I don't win, it's a worthy cause.

And indeed... that's awesome! Looks like this movie is panning out nicely. I can't wait to see the trailers they release, but I'll bet an ewok they won't show any until Celebration Anaheim.

Every time I hear that score.... my heart lurches out of my chest. .... swallows hard choking back tears. ;)
    Last edited by Lord_Zannah, Jul 23, 2014
  15. mindtwister_138 Force Ghost

star 3
    I just watched the video and OMG!!! I love that xwing! Nerdgasm!!!!
  16. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    My eyes are moist.... you are sounding wonderful. ... that makes me very happy. =D=
  17. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'd hit any or all of you if it meant screen time in the movie. Especially if it meant I could wear my Vox outfit, or the outfit for the still secret project: wicked. Seriously. If Disney said I could have 5 minutes screen time but I have to hit you guys, then line up kids, the pimp hand is coming, lol. and don't lie, you would do the same.
  18. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Errrrr.... uuuummmmm.... yea, I would. :D
    VoxDeamonicus likes this.
  19. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I know you would. Heck, you'd only pause long enough to stretch, warm up, and blow us a kiss.
  20. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
  21. mindtwister_138 Force Ghost

star 3
  22. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    [IMG]

All we need now is a trailer.

Could be better could be worse...what do you think?
  23. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm still in a "wait and see" mode
  24. mindtwister_138 Force Ghost

star 3
  25. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Here ya go. I'm sure you've all seen it by now. Tried to post it this morning but couldn't log on...probably the forum was overloaded.

Thoughts?

Like Vox I'm still in "wait and see" mode. I really like the look but I remember how pretty the Phantom Menace trailer was (it still is).