main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VIII Production Announcement Video

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 15, 2016.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is also accurate continuity... for Ireland. :p

2. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    This. I think people are jumping to conclusions about this movie starting exactly where we left off. Remember Johnson only returned to Skellig Michael for a day or so of filming so it may have been just to shoot this clip. It would be problematic to start episode 8 with an opening crawl that bascially just recaps Episode 7 and begins with Finn and Kylo in recovery.

Yora likes this.
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    On the other hand, people want to see "new stuff" or so they say. And SW has also never done full-on flashbacks before. And it'd be REALLY disappointing to skip over their first conversation entirely, after that ending.

4. Boski

Boski Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2005
    There is also a possibility that the film starts off right after TFA and then has a time lapse during the film.

5. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I would argue that not everything in Star Wars needs to be explicitly shown or said on camera. The impulse to do that sort of thing has led to some of the weakest elements of past Star Wars stories.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  6. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016

Bring an entire crew back to a conservation area that they were exceedingly grateful to get permission to film in the first place, just to do a shot for a promo video 20 months before the film comes out?

It's unlikely to be actual footage - Rey's not going to hold out the lightsabre a second time - but Johnson is there for a reason and it's not to misdirect a few hundred Star Wars nerds.

As for the crawl, again, look at ROTJ.

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I'm wondering if it's actually for the movie. You can definitely tell that the cinematography is different from TFA, without the unnecessary depth of field effects in every shot. I like it. Looks like there's color grading though... Yawn.

8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That video was amazing! Do we really have to wait until next December?

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

9. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    And so it begins.............

Krueger likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    True, I actually agree with that (heck I've praised and defended TFA for NOT feeling the impulse to do that in fact). BUT, this really does. You don't end TFA like that (without them speaking to each other) and then skip over it, that'd be lame.

burg2774 likes this.
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Just as a general response to some comments I've seen on here, I highly doubt Johnson took a crew and two actors to Skellig Michael, a location that was notoriously a pain in the ass for Abrams to shoot on, for the sole sake of filming an announcement video. I'm more than willing to bet that this material is in the actual film.

nightangel and Storm_Cloud like this.
  12. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

That's what post-production is for. In your limited time on Skellig, you take what you can get.

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Didn't you know Luke was so powerful that he can part the clouds so the sun can shine down on Rey?:D

14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, that's a very easy thing to fix in post. Not really a big deal. It's also the kind of continuity snafu that occurs in movies all the time, so it wouldn't be the biggest deal if they just left it as is, but again, not very hard thing to fix later on.

15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The whole "bathed in light" thing with Rey seems to be a recurring thing.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. The island's availability alone is horridly difficult to navigate. Then there is the deathtrap of getting an entire crew & equipment to the top alive. I say this as someone who has walked the "Jedi Steps".

17. SunStar

SunStar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    Agreed, PymParticles. I definitely feel they were at the beginning of the shoot of the next film.

Also, if they wanted to do this, Laura Dern could wear brown contacts and her hair colored a darker shade (if she is Rey's mom). But in my mind they wouldn't have to. Leia and Luke don't look like twins and it never bothered me.

18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    It's not like films haven't cast actors who look little to nothing alike to play relatives before, it's actually pretty common.

PymParticles and loststars like this.
  19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    No way they would show any scene being filmed from Episode 8 even if it were a continuation.

20. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016
    It's literally like, two seconds, of a scene we've already seen. Not exactly anything new.

turnip white likes this.
  21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    And let's not forget that Luke is the only member of his family that has blonde hair. I mean, his dad started out blonde as a child, ended up brunette. But his parents, his sister, even his grandmother, all brunette, and considering his grandfather is the Force, no blondeness there either. It's a movie, these things happen.

But that's exactly what this is. It's Rian Johnson clearly filming a scene, but since it's a direct continuation of a scene we've seen, it's pretty innocuous to show off a brief five second portion of it.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  22. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    With no dialogue either.

23. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Or maybe..... Rian filmed the last scene of Ep VII and this is just showing that. Him saying "Welcome to Episode VIII" is a little bit of fun since this is the last scene of VII and the next scene will be Ep VIII.

Luukeskywalker likes this.
  24. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Cool! Didn't expected to see much in that video! :)

25. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015

I too have walked them, and I think the crew deserve an Oscar just for the Skellig shoot. Not only did they have to sweat all that equipment to the top, they had to clamber back down with it. The journey down TERRIFIED me. At least if you're climbing an ordinary cliff, you get to come down backwards and not seeing how precipitous it all is. I sometimes wonder how many monks broke their necks accidentally.