1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Episode VIII Production Announcement Video

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Rodie Jedi Master

star 4
    Luke is back, baby! It's exciting because Luke now is so very necessary. Yes he's powerful, although obviously emotionally hurt, but the enemy is growing more powerful. I'm so much more excited for 8 than I was for TFA honestly. Even though seeing Han and Chewie front and center again was a lot of fun, it's Luke that I'm more interested in. I think he's going to initiate growth within the new characters in a way that Han or even Leia as mentors cannot. And that's exciting.

I expect Luke to be a LEAD role in Episode 8 (on par with Rey, Finn and Poe), before sliding back as a supporting character in Episode 9.
    Last edited by Rodie, Feb 16, 2016
  2. loststars Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree. I've seen TFA six times so far (seven this weekend I think) which is by far the most I've ever seen a movie in a theatre and it's kinda scary to think that I'll more than likely like Episode VIII a lot more because Luke is my favorite character and him having scenes with Rey, Finn, Poe, and LEIIIAAAAAA might kill me.
    Dra--- and Rodie like this.
  3. burg2774 Jedi Master

star 1

I do like that avatar. Jabba if I had creativity points to give, I send em your way. Your avatars always make me chuckle.
    JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  4. SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus

star 3
    This announcement video brought a smile to my face. Wasn't expecting anything along these lines this early on. The Force is strong with Rian!

The big question for me is, as others have suggested already; does this mean that VIII picks up directly where VII left off? That would be a first for a Star Wars film. Interesting.
    Dra--- and AmySolo like this.
  5. Storm_Cloud Jedi Knight

star 3
    The cliffhanger was also a first for Star Wars, so why not?
  6. SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus

star 3

Empire did have kind of a cliffhanger ending, although it wasn't cut short in such an extreme way. I liked the way TFA ended with the hero meeting the mythical wizard and I would be open to seeing the film pick up from that point. If that's the route Rian decides to take.
    Dra---, loststars and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. AmySolo Jedi Knight

star 4
    I'm going with the light. If what they filmed appears in the film I will forever be annoyed that it was cloudy when she held out the saber in TFA and then suddenly very NOT cloudy.
  8. JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I am now imagining Luke sighing, rolling his eyes at at Rey, taking a bottle and glass out of his voluminous robes, and pouring himself a glass of wine.
    Last edited by JabbatheHumanBeing, Feb 16, 2016
  9. Grilled Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm...Im not so sure...that the scenes are what they were currently filming, much less that it continues immediately after TFA.
    The video, It just states its a Episode VIII production announcement. A clip of the director on location, a couple of unused clips from the end of TFA; is what i was thinking. Its an announcment...not the "heres the first scene shot" "or "exclusive first look at episode 8" announcement. This is just old footage. A montage of clips announcing that they started filming is all it is. Also Boyega confirmed he shot today and so that implies they may possibly be filming a scene not related to skellig....unless time has passed between films and finn is there.

Daisy has not been standing there for 2 years waiting to hand off his saber either.:p
    Last edited by Grilled Hutt, Feb 16, 2016
  10. Green_Destiny_Sword Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    EPIC!!! I just can't believe Star Wars is so awesome again.
    JabbatheHumanBeing and Dra--- like this.
  11. Leoluca Randisi Jedi Master

star 5
    I think that was a scene in the film but Because It Is directed by a different Director It has a different Look/Feel ...

but I don't feel it will be the first scene in the movie, movies are not always shot chronologically.
    Last edited by Leoluca Randisi, Feb 16, 2016
  12. Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master

star 4

@JabbatheHumanBeing I love your new Avatar. :cool:
    Last edited by Baron_Papanerd, Feb 16, 2016
    JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  13. MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Master

star 4
    OT (Sorry mods, I certainly don't question your righteousness and divinity but I'm pretty lazy and am choosing to roll the dice, as it were, by posting a comment in a totally inappropriate thread. I know you are at times merciful so I am praying (to you) that this will be one of those blessed times): I had no idea this Edwards guy directed "Monsters." I'd forgotten all about that movie--I got it via Netflix back in the day (through the mail!) and thought it was pretty intriguing and extremely well done, especially with what was probably a very tight budget. Like, Tuco-tight. Tight! Tight-tight-tight! TIGHT!
    Last edited by MotherNature's SilverSeed, Feb 16, 2016
  14. Adella7 Jedi Master

star 4
    It is sad that I have to wait 22 months to see this film. I guess I will watch the new Star Wars "spin-off" movie Rogue One in the theaters this winter.
    Yora likes this.
  15. MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Master

star 4
    Hell, I think we all would've been pissed if Luke was marginalized for Episode VIII.

Why is Mariner Moose horizontal?

(please don't tell me it has anything to do with Mr. Met)
    Last edited by MotherNature's SilverSeed, Feb 16, 2016
    nightangel and Krueger like this.
  16. Adella7 Jedi Master

star 4
  17. shafty Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm pretty certain that wasn't actually filmed the other day. You'd have to be nuts to go anywhere near a place like skellig with all these hurricane winds there has been lately
  18. redlightning Jedi Knight

star 4
    I think Luke will be dead by Episode IX.
  19. JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Dewback likes this.
  20. MS1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm not sure the image of Luke is actually from the ending of TFA. It could be an all new scene for EP8 where he is deeply pondering something or reflecting on the day Rey arrived.
  21. Dra--- Force Ghost

star 6
    No Luke for me.

Just kiddin'. Very exciting stuff.
    Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  22. nightangel Force Ghost

star 6
    [face_not_talking]
    Last edited by nightangel, Feb 17, 2016
    AmySolo likes this.
  23. Nipuhanipera Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Which is why I`m shocked that J.J went through the effort of filming on Skellig for a minute-long scene in TFA. Wouldn`t it be easiler to build sets?
  24. SunStar Jedi Knight

star 1
    I thought that I read (around the time The Force Awakens was released) that when they were on Skeliig Michael to film the Jedi Steps scene, they remained there for a time to film scenes for Episode 8. That would make sense since it's expensive to take a crew there. Perhaps they didn't need a lot of additional footage, and what we're seeing is just a shot or two from that.
    I'm glad that the announcement makes Luke front and center for Episode 8.
    Last edited by SunStar, Feb 17, 2016
  25. D-Ludicrous Jedi Master

star 2

Why does this make me think of that Rocky movie where Sly fights Dolf Lungren. The one where Sly train using the best technology and Dolf trains very low tech.