main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    True.

He was freaked the hell on that too.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    At the risk of armchair psychology, I should remind people also that deserters in militaries have been historically portrayed as people like Finn. When they desert, they aren't filled with an espirit de corps and hesitation to harm their brothers.

No, deserters, historically have been portrayed as incredibly DANGEROUS because they'll kill their fellow comrades to escape.

godisawesome likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't think that's quite analogous, because I don't think Finn harbors any particular ill will for his former stormtrooper colleagues - it's just that he understand how fully they're brainwashed.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Gleeson is amazing. As much as TFA copied from the originals, we've never seen a villain like Hux yet onscreen. He's the first full-out screaming zealot and legitimately scary because you don't know what the **** he's going to do. All the other villains are usually in the game for themselves (even Maul now!), but this guy's a wacky brainwashed lunatic. I hope they don't kill him or tone him down in TLJ -- the over-the-top scene-eating is so much fun to watch.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think he harbors any real sentiment for them either, except his one friend. I think the biggest flaw of the Force Awakens is (aside from rehashing the Death Star) is the same one Rogue One has.

No one is willing to sit down for a quiet scene or two.

The "You don't believe in the Force" or "chatting about the Academy."

Just a scene before the massacre where Finn and his buddy chat with their helmets off.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

True. I think R1 was better at it (the scene between Eadu and Yavin IV, and a few other downtimes here and there), but they were still way too brief.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I don't know, I think that would rob the scene of its immediacy. I found it effective in that we're assuming this is a typical scene of stormtroopers coming in and wrecking shop, but suddenly the POV switches from Poe to Finn at the exact instant we see some humanity from a stormtrooper for the first time. A scene after the fact would have been nice, of Finn and the surviving FN Corps troopers lamenting the death of their comrade, and probably a good replacement for the relatively dull scene of Phasma sneaking up on him.

Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    For those who are displeased there is a change.org petition to fire JJ Abrams from Episode IX. Almost 3300 signatures!

No way in hell I'm gonna sign but I'm sure someone out there will feel better if they did.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Don't click that link, you'll just end up on JJ's hit list.

And by hit list I mean he's going to produce a copy of the best thing you've ever done and reap a tremendous amount of credit for it.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_laugh]

Welp, that explains a lot about the way he worded the petition.

Nothing to do with liking or disliking TFA, but the idea that box office sales are not supposed to be a metric of success for films is ridiculous.

There is no obligation to like a movie that made a lot of money at the box office, whether that movie be TFA or any other, but I thought that petition maker's idea that Star Wars is supposed to be a piece taught in art schools and too haute-artsy for peons was absurd.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...um, not that it isn't laughable, but I'm not really familiar with there being a large, well-known overlap between pretentious artistic elitists and alien conspiracy theorists.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Barely even skimmed it mself just thought "Well, this guy's nuts" but I'm sure some people will enjoy screaming into the virtual abyss by signing.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Vthuil : You're right, there's no connection there. I was making a connection between his inability or refusal to understand anything about how marketing works and his inability or refusal to understand anything about how astronomy works.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think JJ Abrams would do a good job. I loved the Force Awakens.

Karl0413, BigAl6ft6 and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I saw TFA in cinemas four or five times (same as Rogue One). I plan to see TLJ, Han Solo film, Ep9 and Kenobi film as much as I can. I love Star Wars and I don't have a problem with the distinction between the different universes. I like canon, I like Legends (Clone Wars is still a gray area without my headcanon retcon on Barriss Offee). It's the same as asking me if I like Star Trek or Star Wars (I like both), the 1978 Battlestar Galactica or the 2000s Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire, 60s Thunderbirds or modern Thunderbirds Are Go. I have enough brain cells to tell the difference and what I enjoy and don't enjoy about both.

I don't really like Finn as I consider him a weak character in TFA (though if he's gotten a better role in TLJ I might change my mind). I don't really like Palpatine because he's the bad guy of the PT and OT and I don't like Hux because he's the bad guy of the ST. I loved Phasma despite her limited screen time, I like Jar Jar because he's funny even as an adult. I don't like the absence of Luke from canon material between ESB and TFA and I loved his inclusion in the Freemaker Adventures.

JJ Abrams is a Star Wars fan and is working well within the parameters given to him, and the Story Group is able to assist him, as will Rian Johnson and George Lucas. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on TFA and I will continue to do so now.

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    John Podesta?

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like the one of Finn and Rose.

"**** you!" "Yeah, well **** you too!"

21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Managed to locate a "The Last Jedi" poster (which cost me $15.00 AU but totally worth it) and I have some interesting details I would like to share:

The A-wing interceptor is an RZ-2 built by Kuat Systems Engineering.
    The All Terrain MegaCaliber Six heavy walker is built by Kuat Drive Yards.
    The TIE Silencer is built by Sienar Jaemus Systems (no surprises there).
    The Resistance Ski Speeder is a V-4X-D built by Roche Machines, thus the B-wing look.

As I said, totally worth it.

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Huh? Can this poster be seen anywhere online?

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Did we know Jaemus was canon yet? I just checked the Wook and it doesn't look like it, but there's been so much stuff coming out these past two years I might have missed it.

Anyway, really cool.

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think it got mentioned in a couple of the TFA tie in things.

25. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Wow, I totally missed the Abrams news. Cautiously optimistic, I suppose. Competent enough filmmaker, and his film might have a little less fridge logic if his job is to wrap up the trilogy rather than soft-reboot Star Wars.