Lit Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread (Tags Required for rumors/spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. godisawesome Jedi Master

star 3
    That reminds me of that scene from Pirates of the Carribean 2 where the two comic relief guys and Elizabeth toss swords back and forth while fighting Davy Jones. That was a legitimately entertaining scene.

Edit: PCCViking beat me to it!
    Last edited by godisawesome, Oct 29, 2017
    Revanfan1 and PCCViking like this.
  2. Revanfan1 Force Ghost

star 6

Believe it or not, this is something I was hoping to see in the ST as early as the first trailers for TFA that showed the importance of the Skywalker saber–I figured (correctly) that it would be the only lightsaber Rey and Finn had, and I was hoping there would be a scene where they traded back-and-forth with it, perhaps while using a blaster pistol in their offhand when they didn't have the saber. It seems sadly less likely that this will ever happen now, since it doesn't seem like Finn will ever use a lightsaber again, but if it happens between Rey and Luke, that would be an acceptable replacement in my eyes.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    In complete honesty, finding out the details of Luke's Jedi books in the TLJ Visual Guide is one of the things I'm most excited of to come out of the movie.

That kind of "need to control raw power" does come up a few times in the EU, though not always well done. I'm not sure how I feel about that kind of approach being used in a movie, but I do think it's interesting that between that, Rey talking about the Balance of the Force, Luke putting himself into exile, and ancient Jedi texts complete with the EU-originating Jedi Order symbol, TLJ seems to be (intentionally or not) mirroring various stuff the EU set up in its approach to the Jedi.
  4. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 8
    Zahn's Vision of the Future really stressed "Focusing on raw power is bad" - with Luke moving away from it and toward "listening to the Force"
  5. Dawud786 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just watched TCW "Lair of Grievous"last night, and Kit Fisto makes a remark to Yoda about his former Padawan meeting power against power fighting Grievous, and Yoda says "To meet power against power, the Jedi way is not. In this war, a danger there is in losing who we are."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  6. sidv88 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The prequel trilogy covers the Clone Wars, while the OT covers what the EU (and I think new canon?) calls the Galactic Civil War. What will the sequel trilogy war be called? Wookieepedia calls it the 'First Order-Resistance War', but it sounds kind of clunky.

Taking a cue from the EU's "Great Sith War", I thought the Great Snoke War sounded kind of catchy. But maybe LFL will think it too silly to dub the war this name?
  7. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    There is a threat on the TLJ boards about this and best we have is the same "first order-resistance war". I really hope it gets a snazzy name sometime soon
  8. Ulicus Lapsed Moderator

star 6
    On the issue of "raw power" I've long taken Yoda very literally when he says "Size matters not" / "Only different in your mind".

Yoda isn't trying to teach Luke how to use the big fat Force **** he was blessed with to clobber the X-Wing out of the swamp -- and that's not what initially impresses him when Luke begins (though ultimately fails) to move it -- he's trying to teach him that he doesn't need any more power to move the ship than he did the rock. That the Force is the stuff of miracles, rather than cold logic.

Which is why I suspect those who do feel the Force more strongly, those who can draw upon "torrential" amounts of energy, often get as frustrated as they do. Because they have all this power at their fingertips and are then told that they should only ever be using a fraction of it.

"I want more. But I know I shouldn't."

Etc.

That's what I like to think Zahn was getting at in VotF (though it's been ages since I read it), rather than simply suggesting that the Jedi weren't allowed to do awesome, mind-blowing stuff with the Force.

But who knows how TLJ will handle it.
    Last edited by Ulicus, Oct 29, 2017
  9. spicer Jedi Master

star 4
    Last edited by spicer, Oct 30, 2017
    Barriss_Coffee, Kylun and Dawud786 like this.
  10. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't they know that there are more colours then red?
    MercenaryAce, SWpants and AusStig like this.
  11. sidv88 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Luke: Snoke isn't looking for anything logical, like money. He can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Snoke just wants to watch the galaxy burn.

Rey: So that's why he isn't a Sith! At least Sith philosophy is logical...

Luke: :eek:

Rey: ... from a certain point of view of course...
    Last edited by sidv88, Oct 30, 2017
    PCCViking and Gamiel like this.
  12. spicer Jedi Master

star 4
    New trailer.

It's more or less the same as the previous one, with the addition of a few new shots.
    Last edited by spicer, Oct 30, 2017
  13. Revanfan1 Force Ghost

star 6
  14. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    There are some spoilers in this interview, but interesting background info on some of the animals (porgs, crystal foxes, etc):

https://www.empireonline.com/movies...edi-new-revelations-star-wars-creatures-boss/

I was hoping from the title that they'd be discussing the "Creature Boss" the characters inevitably have to fight at the end. Preferably a giant mutant porg. Alas. If this were SNES Super Star Wars, you better believe there would be a giant mutant porg level. That you defeat and it would explode into a bunch of hearts. SNES had issues.

Anyway, about porgs:
    Show Spoiler
    So this is direct confirmation there is one particularly "special" porg above the others. I had wondered about this, but due to the tendency of depicting many porgs in all the merchandise and books (the Chewie kid's book has the MF infested with porgs), even multiple porgs on the posters, it was unclear if Chewie has many porg buddies he brings along or a select individual(s). He might still have others stuck somewhere in steerage, but now we know he's got one special porg buddy. The brown-nosing parrot who imitates his behavior and happens to look like him. Riiiight.
  15. Darth_Duck Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Show Spoiler
    I think I love the idea of Chewie replacing Han with a Porg. People generally think of Chewie as Han's dog, but Wookiees are a long-living species. Han is Chewie's dog. Chewie was going to go through a few humans over his life. Was Han even his first pet?

I hope the Porg gets a little vest. That'd be super cute.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
  16. sidv88 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Show Spoiler

Can't wait for the reveal that this "special" porg is really Snoke, using a hololink interface with an android body. ;)
  17. CaptainPeabody Jedi Master

star 3
    Show Spoiler
    Wait...did we already know that the Irish-Monastery-Island is also inhabited by Porg-esque Giant Bird Nuns? Because that's literally the coolest thing ever. Forget porgs; Giant Bird Nuns is the first thing I've been genuinely excited about in TLJ so far.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to take Luke's Brooding Exile of Heroic Angst seriously ever again. I'm now imagining Bearded Luke him looking angsty and staring off into the sunset over the ocean, only to be interrupted by a Giant Bird Nun with a plate of cookies. Or...maybe like some dried fish? I dunno.

Seriously, though, I've known some actual real-life nuns in my time, and they're pretty much the kindest, toughest, and most dedicated people you'll ever meet. Now just imagine if they were additionally giant birds! It's really hard to believe Luke didn't get over himself and leave years earlier.
  18. Ulicus Lapsed Moderator

star 6
    That's very... Doctor Who, tbh.
  19. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    That was my first thought upon seeing the caretakers
  20. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 6
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Nov 1, 2017
  21. Karl0413 Jedi Master

star 4
  22. Diego Lucas Jedi Knight

star 3
  23. Karl0413 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, don't they just bring tears of joy to your eyes :D :

Show Spoiler

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Last edited by Karl0413, Nov 1, 2017
    Senator Wan, Stymi, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  24. Onderon1 Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek:

Show Spoiler
    OK, I have to admit - more of THAT in the last trailer would have been even more epic. :D

A (likely) reunion (for some) at Crait, Rey not taking no for an answer, a very Malachor-V-esque throne room for Snoke, and Luke in the Falcon - !! ^:)^

I've said it before - TLJ is likely going to be the standout of the ST, simply for being different and for its design elements. I feel pretty good about this timeline (yes, it's my headcanon that SW exists in multiple alternate universes - YMMV :)
  25. StarWarsFan91 Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to get a true true green vs blue duel in the ST. Even if it's just a practice one.