main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Reminds me of the SPHAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Speaking of Crait and walkers, did we get a name for the other walker besides "Scout Walker"? I don't know if this is referring to that one, but Insider mentions a FO "AT-HH or All Terrain Heavy Hauler"

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm betting that's actually the big wheeled thing. It can't all be a turbolaser.

On an unrelated note, I've decided my compromise between the "Ezra = Snoke" and "Ezra = DJ" theories (uh, 'theories') is that he's both. Now I just need to decide whether that means a secret identity or whether it'll be like that one ridiculous Revan TOR plotline and he literally splits in two. I kinda like the idea of following Hondo's thoughts and having both Pirate Ezra and Jedi (later Sith) Ezra.

8-}

4. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    That would make sense based on the name honestly more than the walker from the trailer, but the article says walker. Maybe this thing is the "Mega turbo tanks" or "holy crud no name is gonna do this justice so just call it "imminent demise"

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I still think we're going to see STAR WARS: RESISTANCE next with Ezra as the Old Jedi.

BobaMatt likes this.
  6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Plot theory:

Theory

Rey's storyline: Rey begins training with Luke Skywalker, though it has several false starts due to what the older man feels is his failure to train. Eventually, Luke gets over it and Rey shows him that she maybe strong enough to withstand anything the Dark Side can throw at her. The pair depart with Chewie and R2-D2 to head for the Resistance after Luke and Rey have a vision indicating that Supreme Leader Snoke has found Leia.

First Resistance storyline: Finn awakens from his healing coma aboard the heavy cruiser Raddus in the midst of evacuating D'Qar. As he comes to the bridge where Leia and Ackbar are overseeing the final stages (Admiral Statura, Major Brance and Major Ematt may still be on the surface) when a First Order Mandator IV-class warship and two Resurgent-class battlecruisers just in and manage to annihilate the base on D'Qar. Poe, who has just had his X-wing upgraded, leads a flight of A-wings and heavy bombers against the First Order ships, defeating the warship's defences just as Vice Admiral Holdo arrives with the rest of the Resistance fleet and several New Republic capital ships that have joined them and annihilates the three ships. Finn witnesses Holdo and Leia talk about their next move as survivors on the surface (including Kaydel Ko Connix) arrive. The Supremacy jumps in but the Resistance fleet retreats. Finn is then assigned with the mechanic Rose Tico to find an old friend of Lando's, DJ, on Cantonica. Meanwhile, Poe accompanies the fleet to Crait.

Kylo Ren's storyline: Kylo Ren exits a bacta tank and goes to see Snoke. Hux is there, as is Phasma, and it appears that Hux has made out that Starkiller Base was all Kylo's fault. After the meeting, which Kylo barely talks his way out of it and loses his rank of Master of the Knights of Ren, goes to his quarters and smashes his helmet in anger.

Finn's storyline: Finn and Rose meet with DJ and are forced to escape a First Order spy, running afoul of the Canto Bight Police and Unkar Plutt. Using the spy's identity acquired by DJ, the three infiltrate the Supremacy at the moment that the First Order has learned the location of the new Resistance base. Hoping to race ahead, Finn manages to sabotage the factories and faces off with Phasma, only holding her off enough until Rose steals a shuttle and the pair escape to Crait.

Poe's storyline: At Crait, the Resistance debates their next course of action. As they debate, Leia senses a disturbance in the Force and sees Crystal Foxes racing to the base. Finn and Rose return and warn the leaders that the First Order has found them, only for the First Order to arrive moments later. With the fleet under Ackbar and Holdo having its own problems with First Order capital ships, Poe and Finn take to ski speeders to fight with the walkers sent to attack. The Millennium Falcon returns and causes issues in the air for TIE fighters, at one point leading a squadron in the mines and destroying it. Meanwhile, Rey confronts Kylo, who offers her a role in the First Order but she refuses. Luke helps save his sister and the group escape but Rey is captured.

Final few minutes: As the Resistance escapes to the fleet, Leia arrives aboard the Raddus as Kylo arrives on the damaged Supremacy and grabs his TIE silencer. The Resistance transports and capital ships begin escaping but have no fighter support to protect them, losing some of their ships. The Raddus is then targeted by Kylo, managing to severely damage the hangar, stopping Poe and his wingmates from launching. But at the last moment as he targets the bridge, he hesitates in killing his mother, despite Snoke calling through the Force to fullfill his destiny and kill his final parent. The Falcon then swoops in and disables the TIE silencer, allowing the Raddus to escape to hyperspace.

Final scene: Aboard the Supremacy, Rey is brought before Supreme Leader Snoke who begins to use the Force to try to break her. Kylo arrives and is forced to watch as it goes on, finally beginning to realise that he may be wrong.

7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't think Rey is training with Luke at all, given Luke's seeming fear of getting involved in that sort of thing again. I think he tests her at certain points but I don't know about outright training. And I don't think Rey wants to necessarily train. Both of these characters have way different priorities. Rey wants to find family and Luke wants to do whatever he's doing, so I don't see why that translates into him training her for any reason. She's just trying to get him back to Leia anyway.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Luke: First, wash all of Millenium Falcon. Then wax. Wax on...
    Rey: Hey, why do I have to...?
    Luke: Ah ah! Remember deal! No questions!
    Rey: Yeah, but...
    Luke: Hai!
    [makes circular gestures with each hand]
    Luke: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
    [walks away, still making circular motions with hands]
    Rey: Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off.

Zer0, Revyl Ren, Nom von Anor and 4 others like this.
  9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Nah, he trains her. The action figures of her wearing the more Jedi-like variation of her Jakku clothes are dubbed "Jedi training."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I think what's going to be relevant is that there's a difference between "Luke trains Rey to use her latent Force abilities" and "Luke trains Rey to become a Jedi".

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm just speculating so I'm not going to use spoilers here: based on how much trailers are trying to make Kylo appear like a fellow going through a moral crisis, I don't think the reason is because he got heavily reprimanded by Snoke, lost his rank, etc, because that's the kind of thing that one would expect would make him more angry and do worse things, not start wanting to be a good guy, doubt shooting down Leia, etc. More likely Snoke brings up the incident with Han and it bothers Kylo to the point he starts having serious doubts.

However, it could be the trailers are misleading, which I've wondered too, in which case your scenario would be right. Maybe Kylo throws his helmet because he doesn't think he's being appreciated enough and is jealous of Rey. Maybe he's luring Rey in to either kill her and prove himself or train her himself.

I don't know which scenario I'd rather like -- I don't actually like either. I don't want another sympathetic mass serial killer. But I don't want Star Wars to lose it's "forgiveness" theme, which I've always loved about the OT. So... hmm. I still wish there was something more to be revealed about Kylo's fall to the dark side... that it wasn't for selfish reasons looking for power like Vader had. Some sort of plot twist. Anything.

Yeah, I get this sense this is 1:1 with ESB, so it's about the type of "training" Yoda gives Luke. Complete with a tree.

12. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I think it's pretty much a dead certainty that we'll be learning more about Kylo's fall - not going to make any specific predictions except that something makes me think it's going to turn out to be less "premeditated" than Anakin's turn.

JediMatteus likes this.
  13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    At the end of the day, leaving everything else aside, a trailer is designed to get you pumped for the movie. For me, on that basis, it really doesn’t. It seemes so bland and by the numbers it makes me go Meh.

The R1 Teaser with the alarm was fantastic and the TPM trailer was awesome and really got me pumped for the PT but this .... I just feel like doing a non French Gallic Shrug

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    He will, ultimately, train her to be a Jedi. Perhaps changing their ways to some extent, but Jedi nonetheless.

Hamill has been saying Luke's lost his faith in his ability to read the will of the Force. There's a lot about trusting the Force in Canon now, and i think this will be a major aspect of Luke's role in this trilogy.

I suspect this has to do with Luke wanting the seemingly endless conflict to end, and him needing to trust the Force in these matters. He's going to have to embody the mantra of the Guardians of the Whills: "I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me. I fear nothing, all is as the Force wills."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    If I hear Luke saying “I’m one with the Force and the Force is with me” I think I’ll die for a moment, go to heaven and come back.:D

I’m really curious about the way Rian will portray the Force in his movie, but I think it’s gonna be tough for me to beat the absolutely perfect, beautiful, magical way the Force was portrayed in RO through Chirrut’s character. With little dialogue, no intellectualization, just simply the sheer power of believing in something greater than you.

Kylun, Senpezeco, Revanfan1 and 5 others like this.
  16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Looks like they brought in the drill from Avatar the Last Airbender

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  17. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Finn is still Finn :p

MercenaryAce, Dawud786 and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    "Rey!!!"
    "...where's Rey?"

Yep, still our boy. [face_laugh]

Edit: This makes me realize, though, Finn probably awoke not realizing what happened on Starkiller Base. Last the dude remembers, he lost the fight to Kylo and Rey was still unconscious. No wonder he was so freaked out. He's got no idea Rey whooped Kylo's tail.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    First of (and I can't belive I seems to be the first to think of it):
    Rey: Father! The Force has awakened!

Second, I like this trailer better then the earlier ones but I still don't feel any big interest to go and see it.

21. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm thinking Kylo shatters the helmet which also breaks Snoke's hold over him, thus becoming more powerful because Snoke was drawing on his strength via that Sith artefact.
    He is beginning to become what he always wanted but was being held back by Snoke who rightly fears his apprentice.
    I want Kylo to kill Snoke because he wants Rey as his apprentice not rival.

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Wait a sec. is that C-3PO manning the guns?! :eek:

24. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Threepio has had it up to HERE with being comic relief. Some f-ers are gonna die for that

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003