main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would have been amazing.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My thoughts on the initial reactions:

Not excited. Not at all.

I would be OK if Luke dies, if that’s what’s going to happen, as long as he goes in a dignified and heroic manner. I don’t think character shields are a good thing at all.

But I’m not impressed with all the comments about “shocking” and “the saga is changed forever.” The last time Star Wars did “shocking” well was in 1980, and quite frankly I’m too damn old. I just want Star Wars to feel like Star Wars, and I think there is a way to do that while avoiding the “rehash” complaints.

I did like the comments about the movie being “funny,” but there are people who thought Kylo Ren was “funny” and I thought he was one of the most unfunny characters in the saga. I hope the “funny” moments have to do with the Porgs.

I’m interested in the scenes with Luke on the Falcon, especially with the idea that he agrees to train Rey after reconnecting with R2 and seeing the hologram of Leia from ANH again. I don’t give a flying **** about any “dynamic” between Rey and Kylo Ren, which is one of the things that has been hyped up. I would rather the Skywalker lineage end forever than see the two of them hook up in any way. And yeah, I know, there are far more ways that a “dynamic” could play out.

Also interested in seeing how Carrie Fisher does, given that she and Mark Hamill are supposed to give such outstanding performances.

Disappointed that there was no mention of Finn in any of the early reviews.

I hope my “I have a bad feeling about this” moment is misplaced and I end up liking the movie. If not...well, there is always the Han Solo film.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Can’t lie, I’m watching this movie because of Luke and because it’s Carries last role and no real other reason. Rey and the crazy Grandson, I’m not particularly fussed if I see them in the movie or not.

Amon_Amarth, SilentGuy66 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Only two days until i see it and someone today told me something which may or may not be a spoiler which I didn't wanna know.

5. Revyl Ren

Revyl Ren Jedi Master star 2

Aug 12, 2015
    In exactly 48 hours I'll be sitting in the cinema.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    If what some of you are suspecting turns out to be true,
    then I won't like this new development at all. And it would be pretty ironic if the first Jedi were, in sum, "grey", when a certain Pablo Hidalgo has kept mocking the concept for months.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If certain things do pan out - and are not the antics of bastard trolls - then I could well see something of a fan revolt resulting.

8. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    nah that won't happen, lol. if they didn't revolt over TFA they won't revolt over this-- we'll just get wagon circling and people being all "omg ur stuck in the paaast move on these movies are for TODAYS kids" and so on.

anyway i wanna exult over what i'm hearing tbh since if true it's everything i spitefully hoped for and more--
    Luke dead, Rey a nobody meaning Kylo's the last and soon to be only Skywalker (since Leia's a dead woman walking), and Anakin's 'saber destroyed just to rub it all in
    -- but mostly I'm just feeling like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(thought the funny thing is, it's still a better star wars than lotf. sure
    everyone's a dead failure,
    but at least they didn't turn into cartoon monster versions of themselves.)

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Couple of things have changed in the last two years that I think tip the odds:
    • Han being offed in TFA - by itself, doesn't do much granted but add in.....
    • Carrie Fisher dying
    • And then add in the supposed rumoured new developments
    If TLJ tries to go the route of winning critics' acclaim who, let's face it - aren't fans, by doing 'daring' moves, it could end up really hacking off people. Regardless of how artistically done it may be.

fett 4 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    *cough* there was an old rumor that might disprove the new spoiler

Almost every rumor said the movie ended with Snoke vs Luke. Many of them said Luke faked his death and pulled a doppelganger like Loki in Thor 2 or Dooku whenever the old EU decided to kill him off now and then. I haven't seen any of the massive spoiler yet besides what AnakinsFans posted here, but my guess is he's not dead and that will be part of the twist.

11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    so according to the leaks Luke "astrally projects" himself (which yeah sounds like doppelganger, which is admittedly pretty cool) from Ireland to Crait to save everyone, fights Kylo et al to a draw and lets them escape, then collapses & dies from exhaustion. from what people are saying it's pretty unambiguous, we get a pile-o-robes shot on Ireland and Leia and Rey react.

Also Snoke is dead already at this point because Kylo & Rey tagteam him on his command ship.

Obviously could all be false, but at this point there's a number of people confirming these and nothing credibly debunking them. We'll see![/spoilers]

AusStig and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    If the spoilers for the Last Jedi are are true, I am the guy in Indiana Jones who laughs hysterically once the lid is pulled off the Ark revealing only sand.

Except, I know full well that my face is about to melt. :mad:

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I haven't read all spoilers/rumors, but I did stumble upon probably one of the big ones, and let me just say...

When the sequel trilogy was announced, I knew it would mean the deaths of the Big Three.

I don't know what's surprising or infuriating about Luke dying.

How many PT characters made it to the very end of the OT alive? None, except the droids and Chewbacca.

How many OT characters will make it to the very end of the ST alive? None, except the droids and maybe Chewbacca.

Or maybe they're serious about IX being the end, and they'll blow up Artoo and Threepio too. That would be sadder or more unexpected to me than Luke dying. And I love Luke. But we all should have known he was a goner.

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Oddly, the most credible spoilers I've read have it so that's not the case.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    It's like reverse LOTF/FOTJ where Luke dies and Jacen and Jaina defeat Abeloth together!

...wait that actually would've been pretty cool.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Anyway guys I'm going dark now, too. The visual dictionary was but a taste of the spoilers to whet my appetite.

Also I am Darth Malak.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I have drank the spoilers.

I need to see it on screen to understand any of it.

AusStig and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I don't want them to be, but evidence now strongly points to the leaks being true.

I'm kind of okay with the ending as described by the most recent leaker, TBH. It's one of those things that COULD be well done if executed near perfectly (which viewers suggest 'is' the case).

But the actual story on film sounds worse than TFA. Nothing which ties the current story to the past at all, meaning nothing which actually justifies the existence of the PT at all as anything more than a forgettable afterthought.

But again, details remain uncertain, and the visual dictionary info was itself fairly interesting at least, so we'll see.

19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, guys...

[​IMG]

LelalMekha likes this.
  20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I won't get to see it until Sunday. And I'm starting to get nervous.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I have now seen what Trip mentioned floating around but it's complete nonsense as posted so far, so I think I'm missing something:
    Luke projects himself as a doppleganger from Ahch-to to fight Snoke, gets his doppleganger killed, but when his doppleganger dies so does he, which only the viewers and the porgs see? Well why the heck use a doppleganger to begin with! Is this some sort of ruse to entertain the porgs?

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Who just explained why I would hate it. We've done this before. If Rian Johnson is the "genius" writer that so many people claim that he is, then could he come up with nothing else than to cull the old heroes just to "give the new ones something to do?" It's the most trite, predictable, and lazy way to go about things imo.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'd say then that the NR military has the worst leadership I've ever heard of. No governing body puts their entire fleet in one location. Makes no sense.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

24. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    I can't believe they torpedod the old EU for this. I wasn't even that into it but it sure sounded a hell of a lot better.

Abadacus, AusStig and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    ...OK

What are you so opposed to?